Found Deceased GA - Kyle Clinkscales, 23, LaGrange, 27 Jan 1976 *car found in 2021*

Just joined the forum.
<snip>
According to the 1976 map here what is now Chambers CR83 was then CR55. If this area wasn't searched it was either negligence or intentional. Did anyone (from his town or at Auburn) have any info on what routes he had taken in the past? Were they even asked?

Looks to me like he ran off the road…sleep, swerving to miss a deer (VERY common), distracted or whatever.

I'd be interested to know when that bridge was built. It's a more modern design…it would be nuts if it were constructed after the accident and the car was sitting right there.
<snip>

According to bridgereports.com the bridge over "unnamed creek" 1 mile South of Cusseta on Cambers County 83 was built in 1952. BridgeReports.com | CO. 83 over UNNAMED CREEK, Chambers County, Alabama

It's been 10 months since Kyle's car was found.

I spoke with one of the lead investigators recently and asked him when we would get another update in the case. I didn't ask a lot of questions or press him because it was a very brief encounter in a networking situation and others were present. He did indicate that he expects an update rather soon. I hope he's right!

Postively ID'd as Kyle.

Rest in peace young man.

FEB 19, 2023
Remains discovered more than a year ago in an east Alabama creek have positively been identified as an Auburn University student who disappeared in 1976.

Georgia’s Troup County Coroner’s Office on Sunday said they were notified Sunday by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation that the remains were those of Kyle Clinkscales, who was 22 when he vanished on Jan. 27, 1976. The remains were positively identified through DNA testing.

[...]

1676907162934.png
''Griffen said she met Kyle about a year before he disappeared, adding that everyone in the town knew him.
"His personality was just charming. He was a sweet guy. Most of the time he was very quiet. But he was very kind to everyone," Griffen said.
Kyle's mother died this past January, and his father died in 2007.
Sheriff Woodruff said he hoped this day would have come while Clinkscales’ parents were still alive. ''

Despite the headlines that "mysteries remain", I think it's overwhelmingly likely that Kyle perished in a single-car accident. This case is a lesson in Occam's Razor-the foul play theories were outlandish and convoluted at best. I hope there's a public exoneration of the men accused of being involved in Kyle's death.

Despite the headlines that "mysteries remain", I think it's overwhelmingly likely that Kyle perished in a single-car accident. This case is a lesson in Occam's Razor-the foul play theories were outlandish and convoluted at best. I hope there's a public exoneration of the men accused of being involved in Kyle's death.

I agree with you - I think it was just a horribly tragic single car accident. I’ll be very surprised if the conclusion of the case proves otherwise. But there are so many people around here that claim with 100% certainty that he was murdered and the car was planted.

If anyone is bored or has free time, searching Kyle’s name on Facebook will lead to a lot of comments under local news articles where people make these bold declarations.

I agree with you - I think it was just a horribly tragic single car accident. I’ll be very surprised if the conclusion of the case proves otherwise. But there are so many people around here that claim with 100% certainty that he was murdered and the car was planted.

If anyone is bored or has free time, searching Kyle’s name on Facebook will lead to a lot of comments under local news articles where people make these bold declarations.
I think it may have been a tragic, single car accident, too. Something like that recently happened here:

Georgia gets some snow and black ice in January. I can see one or the other playing into what happened. If you're inexperienced driving on it or have bad tires, going off the road isn't unheard of.

Just curious, why are folks believing Kyle may have been murdered? Are they saying he was involved in something, or targeted. What are they basing this on?

Feb 21 2023 rbbm
''Despite that confirmation, Clinkscales’ cause and manner of death have not been determined, the sheriff’s office announcement added.''

''A cause of death, generally, describes the illness or injury that killed a person. Meanwhile, manners of death explain whether people died naturally or as a result of some other reason, including an accident or a homicide.''

Clinkscales’ parents had previously talked in public about how a mysterious caller once told them that he had reason to believe their son was killed and his body had been dumped.

Two people accused of being present when Clinkscales was slain by a third person – who had possibly overheard something compromising about his killer – even went to prison for a few years after being charged with hindering the investigation into the student’s death.''

''Police searched lakes and creeks for years for the missing student. Then in March 2005, Louise and her husband, John, received a mysterious phone call from someone who said when he was 7-years-old, he thought he saw Clinkscales being buried in a cement-filled barrel and dumped in a pond near a salvage yard belonging to a man called Ray Hyde, who had apparently been a local car thief.

At the time, Troup County Sheriff Danny Turner told the Atlanta Journal Constitution that it was likely the young bartender heard something he shouldn’t have and was killed to be kept quiet. “The rumors were, you know how a bartender hears things?” Turner told the Journal Constitution in 2005. “The rumor was he overheard something.”

An associate of Hyde—who died in 2001—named Jimmy Earl Jones was arrested along with Jones’ companion Jeanne Pawlak Johnson for concealing the student’s death. They were also charged with giving false statements and obstruction of justice. They were released from prison in 2013 after serving five years. It was assumed Clinkscales’ car was buried in Hyde’s lot, and it was dug up in 1996 and 2003 in unrelated searches. The pond was then drained in 2005, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Neither Clinkscales nor the Pinto were ever found''.

rbbm
''GBI spokesperson Nelly Miles confirmed Wednesday that investigators have not determined how Clinkscales died or whether foul play was involved.

In 2006, Jimmy Earl Jones pleaded guilty to making false statements to authorities about Clinkscales’ death and was sentenced to four years in prison. Jones had told investigators that Clinkscales was fatally shot by someone else, but he gave conflicting accounts that prosecutors determined were useless to uncovering the truth.

Pete Skandalakis, the former district attorney who prosecuted Jones, said after Clinkscales’ car was found that the “most plausible explanation” for his death was that he accidentally ran off the road.''

Just curious, why are folks believing Kyle may have been murdered? Are they saying he was involved in something, or targeted. What are they basing this on?
RSBM

I'm local, so this case has long been fueled by rumors. The leading theory has always been that Kyle was murdered over a drug deal - there were even people who served time in jail for making false statements. Additionally, a person came forward years ago and said they witnessed his murder as a child.

If Kyle's death turns out to be a single car accident, then many folks, for many years have been vilifying innocent people (innocent at least, as it would pertain to Kyle).

RSBM

I'm local, so this case has long been fueled by rumors. The leading theory has always been that Kyle was murdered over a drug deal - there were even people who served time in jail for making false statements. Additionally, a person came forward years ago and said they witnessed his murder as a child.

If Kyle's death turns out to be a single car accident, then many folks, for many years have been vilifying innocent people (innocent at least, as it would pertain to Kyle).
Thanks for the local flavor. Your posts are excellent.

The identification solves a mystery that has baffled investigators for nearly five decades. They followed hundreds of leads, but didn’t make substantial progress in the case until Clinkscales’ car was pulled from a creek in Alabama in 2021, McClatchy News previously reported.
View attachment 404306
Note that the front wheels are turned to the left. Could Kyle have been in a turn?
Talk about deja vu. I typed nearly those same words 6 months ago, in my first post ever, about another victim with a similar first name (KR).

RSBM

I’m not too awful far from that area and I have done a lot of looking into it and I don’t believe for a second that it is a one car accident. Which makes me totally question the current Troup County Sheriff

RSBM

I’m not too awful far from that area and I have done a lot of looking into it and I don’t believe for a second that it is a one car accident. Which makes me totally question the current Troup County Sheriff
That may have been an irresponsible way to word that. This is a better version of what I’d like to say. This is my first post and I am still new here so I’m sorry if that sounded rude.
Here is what I’d actually like to say and see if anyone else local has anything to add.

I’m not too awful far from that area and I have done a lot of looking into it and I do believe he was murdered on the night he disappeared. He never made it on the road towards Alabama. I have been in contact with the former Sheriff of Troup County and talked to him quite a bit. When I get them I will share them here but I know there to be satellite photos of the bridge where his car was found that shows that in 2018 that car was not there. Also, the car was pushed into the creek as though it were coming from Alabama and not heading to Alabama. Also, that would have been a very out of the way route for him to take to get to Auburn. I have also talked with the daughter of the man who went to prison for concealing his death and while I do feel that she was lying to me, a few truths slipped through that line up with facts I gleaned from the former sheriff. I will be making a mini-documentary on this on my YouTube channel when I feel that the district attorney has done all he is going to do and I have finished my fact checking. I too have considered the one car accident theory and it makes total sense in a way because he had been drinking and usually the simple answer is the true one but in this case when you begin diving into his back story and the people he was messing around with, you find that he was messing around with some bad dudes. He was selling drugs… I believe (due to statements made to me by the daughter of the man arrested & that of the former sheriff) that when the cause of death is FINALLY released by the GBI, it will probably be 2 gsw’s to the head. As I said, I feel this is all reliable information but I still have some fact checking to do, which is why I am not using names here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CopperRose
Back