GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes:

The things that crawl out of the woodwork. Why now, I wonder? And what's with that weird message to the DA at the end? Does he not have a telephone or the internet?

I don't know. That seems awfully odd to me.

To the part about leaving food or dishes about..Yuck. :sick: but I thought that the writer's comment about how McD could tolerate nasty smells was a bit much...Really, I love cleanliness as much as anyone, but unless the dirty dishes gave off a smell beyond anything I've ever experienced (which is possible), I think there's a big difference between being ok with the smell of scraps of spoiled food and being ok with dismembering a human body.

I'm still weirded out by the zombies thing.

:rolleyes:

The things that crawl out of the woodwork. Why now, I wonder? And what's with that weird message to the DA at the end? Does he not have a telephone or the internet?

bbm: Yeah, I wonder about that, too.

Also, this guy seems to think -- at least the way ATL represents it -- that his "tip" to LE resulted in the finding of the remains (those that were found). Sure doesn't fit with any timeline of events I've ever heard. :waitasec: (Almost makes one wonder if he ever posted at, ahem, other sites... .)

Back when ATL was covering the disputed bond-hearing post, they put out a call for anyone having information to share about the case to contact them -- maybe this guy swept in on that tide.

I do have to give him a little credit for creativity on his zombie answer though -- though it's kind of defeatist, for sure.

Thinking about Lauren. I read the two "articles" posted above from my Google alerts email. I have to say that my thoughts have been more about Lauren than the accused lately. The shock of her dismemberment really hit me hard. Lauren G and Laura A cases were timed pretty close together. I must admit I was in shock for a bit that this happened in 2 cases, in 2 locations, by seperate perps. May Lauren's family find peace as each anniversary passes. I will be here for the vigil like I was here for her actual disapperance looking for answers.

The AboveTheLaw site is busy on this case this week, its seems, having added another new item. Just about to read it myself -- says it is a college friend of SM's speaking out in his defense, apparently in response to the roomate-interview item posted a day or two ago:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/in-defense-of-stephen-mcdaniel-a-testimonial-from-a-friend/

All this is pretty interesting reporting, I do wonder what made the first guy come out, and it sounds like he embellished a little bit. Seems like we would have heard about his hygeine problem earlier from Thad Money , maybe he got better as he roomed with Money later (I think). Anyway, bond hearing is next week, I don't expect Judge Brown to reduce bond, IMHO. May try to attend

The AboveTheLaw site is busy on this case this week, its seems, having added another new item. Just about to read it myself -- says it is a college friend of SM's speaking out in his defense, apparently in response to the roomate-interview item posted a day or two ago:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/in-defense-of-stephen-mcdaniel-a-testimonial-from-a-friend/

I thought the story about the video recording was interesting. There are IMOO a couple ways to think about McD's reaction.

- Dont know how valid this interpretation is because I believe my understanding is based primarily on tv shows, but is it true that sometimes even a murderer can't stand to look at pictures of the victim's remains? Imoooooo, just because the act of murder is intensely rewarding at the time doesn't mean that the person can't be disgusted by his actions when he's forced to look at the consequences after the adrenaline has worn off.

- I don't know anything about McD's politics so I'm going out on a lib here. Maybe he was repulsed by less by the beheading itself than by what he saw as an unjust, brutal act of war.

-maybe he was afraid to see the video because he would not be able to get it out of his head, either because it was so traumatic or because it was so intensely attractive to him.

Maybe he did want to see it, but he didn't want to be perceived as the kind of guy who would watch such a thing.

Maybe he wanted to watch it in private so that he could experience his honest reactions freely, without worrying about showing the appropriate emotion in front of others.

As always jmoo

I don't know if the video at the link below (from Macon television station 13WMAZ) makes any direct references to Lauren's case or not -- I just caught a bit of it on the news this afternoon and haven't watched the whole thing online yet. Thought it might be interesting to some reading here, though, to hear one of SM's attorneys, Franklin Hogue, debating the death penalty with a prosecutor:

Looking at the Death Penalty from Both Sides

Defense attorney Franklin Hogue and prosecutor Gregory Bushway sat down with Lorra Lynch Jones to discuss and debate the death penalty.
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/article/185220/153/Looking-at-the-Death-Penalty-from-Both-Sides

ETA: Having now watched the video, I can add that any direct references are to other cases, unrelated to Lauren; some information relating to one of them can be read at this link (for those who are interested):

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/185212/153/Fairs-Plea-Deal-Details-Whitehead-Murder-Case

From the ATL post

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/in-d...el-a-testimonial-from-a-friend/#disqus_thread

McD posted "elsewhere" that he chose law over medicine because he hates people and referred to himself as a misanthrope.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

That post popped right up from my memory, too, bessie, when I read the second of ATL's latest installments.

That post of SM's in which he talks about not going into medicine because he hates most people and wishes they would die was one of his posts "elsewhere" that I did find disturbing. I think some pointed to it as a sign of sociopathy. I don't know about that -- I think maybe most sociopaths don't have feelings that strong, positive or negative, toward others in general except when someone is at that moment in the way of something they want. But it did remind me of some people I've encountered who have severe depressive disorders and/or very entrenched depressive-type personalities who, at times at least, see the world and life and all humankind (including themselves) as bleak and worthless.

I think maybe most sociopaths don't have feelings that strong, positive or negative, toward others in general except when someone is at that moment in the way of something they want.

It is two separate things that are often combined.

Misanthropes just don't like humans as a whole all that much, it can be similar to being repulsed by spiders or rats but is usually much milder, and they usually do enjoy the company of certain humans that they have something in common with. The misanthropes I have known often have a big problem with random crowds, they aren't the kind of people that stand in packed lines at Walmart during Black Friday sales events -- that is the stuff that gives them nightmares.

Most misanthropes probably do have some sociopathic attitudes (people tend to empathize with those they like, not those they dislike) but I am sure there are plenty of sociopaths that like crowds and such for whatever reasons. They would naturally avoid jobs in the medical field (if someone doesn't like cats and dogs they wouldn't become a small animal vet) but some do enjoy forensic pathology or jobs related to the funeral industry.

I find the bit about not being able to watch a beheading video to be very odd and somewhat questionable.

This goes against everything Thad Money and the supposed "real" internet posts portrayed. McDaniel supposedly obsessed over committing the perfect murder and had a plan to dispose of the body "a little at a time" but he couldn't handle a beheading video? Plus the video wasn't even new or edgy, it had to be a few years old when they came across it.

He hung out on a channel dedicated to weapons and military secret missions and all that yet he was too wussy to watch a little of the real thing? He did have some pretty strong political opinions so that may have factored into it but on the otherhand the video would likely bolster his political opinions and that would justify watching it.

Doesn't make sense at all unless this incident took place before he lived with Thad Money and all of that. Perhaps his sense of Christian guilt was strong at that time and he avoided the subject matter because it was too uncomfortable, but then later accepted that he had an interest in those topics?

I thought early on if he did this they would find more interesting websites and such on his computer, an interest in gore sites etc....would be expected and he was already hanging out on edgy forums that could have links to those sites. Then again after this computer forensics fiasco who knows what he was doing or what they would or would not find.

Sorry to ramble but McDaniel also supposedly claimed he watched The Girl Next Door (which was based on a true story and McDaniel surely knew that), and could watch movies of a man disembowled without feeling a thing etc....

I have never known ANY adults that watched hard core sic fic horror films with that level of sadism yet got all weirded out by the "mere idea" of real gore, he would have likedly watched some of it out of curiosity. Children may react that way (i.e. they had no idea that stuff really happens in real life) but not adults.

McDaniel may have chosen not to watch the vid with his roomate for whatever reason (maybe he had already seen it and didn't want to watch it again, it was a rather sad beheading) but I don't buy for one minute that he was "too sensitive" to watch it.

“It’s coming up, that’s for sure. ... I’m gonna make a deal out of it,” Hogue said.

Interesting. I assume he means negotiate a deal, and not just "make a big deal" out of it? Getting out on bond surely isn't worth that much, could the deal be getting all of the other Internet evidence thrown out? All of the other posts related to the case?

McDaniel and attorneys now know if there is a smoking gun, if there IS a smoking gun one would expect they would think about cutting a plea deal. The missing body parts would be something to trade and would allow Winters to save face. If they don't try to cut a deal they probably believe they can beat this.

Interesting. I assume he means negotiate a deal, and not just "make a big deal" out of it? Getting out on bond surely isn't worth that much, could the deal be getting all of the other Internet evidence thrown out? All of the other posts related to the case?

McDaniel and attorneys now know if there is a smoking gun, if there IS a smoking gun one would expect they would think about cutting a plea deal. The missing body parts would be something to trade and would allow Winters to save face. If they don't try to cut a deal they probably believe they can beat this.
I think he meant make a "big deal" out of it, they are still saying he is innocent, so I don't think he would propose a "deal" deal until things start turning against our boy wonder. I am not sure about the rules of procedure for this thing tomorrow, but if Hogue can pin Winters down on the validity of the post coming from McD (or not) it will be a big deal . 1:30 p.m. Courtroom B . I remember the Nick Berg beheading when it happened ,and I remember going to Ogrish to watch , I just had to look. I would think McD would have also , but you propose some interesting theories .

I think he meant make a "big deal" out of it, they are still saying he is innocent, so I don't think he would propose a "deal" deal until things start turning against our boy wonder.

Oh I don't think they will cut plea deal! And by now they have seen the prosecution's cards. I was thinking more like put the screws to Winters with regard to verifying the internet posts and maybe see if they can get all the posts thrown out.

Regardless I just can't wait to see what happens at that bond hearing! I can't wait to see what Hogue will say and how Winters will respond. This should be VERY interesting!

Oh I don't think they will cut plea deal! And by now they have seen the prosecution's cards. I was thinking more like put the screws to Winters with regard to verifying the internet posts and maybe see if they can get all the posts thrown out.

Regardless I just can't wait to see what happens at that bond hearing! I can't wait to see what Hogue will say and how Winters will respond. This should be VERY interesting!

I agree, Sonya, it definitely should be interesting. I hope they will be able to settle this disputed post thing somewhat, one way or another (though I know it may not end up that simple). It just hangs over the whole thing, for me, and sullies the case as a whole (before seeing what other evidence they may have). If it was purely a mistake, I think the best thing would be to just get that info out there and then go on from there.

Has anybody seen any indication (because I haven't, so far) that any of the local media outlets will live-stream this hearing, as we have gotten used to? I sure hope so. I had considered going, but have pretty much decided against that -- but I was going on the assumption we could watch online. The media, especially The Telegraph/macon.com, has gone through such a quiescent spell since the whole thing started about the disputed post -- I'm starting to worry we may not get video coverage of the hearing.

Has anybody seen any indication (because I haven't, so far) that any of the local media outlets will live-stream this hearing, as we have gotten used to? I sure hope so.

I just called 13WMAZ and they said they will be there and will have a live stream on their website.

I agree I can't wait to see the hearing, this could easily be the most excitement we will see before the trial so I am very glad it will be online.

I just called 13WMAZ and they said they will be there and will have a live stream on their website.

I agree I can't wait to see the hearing, this could easily be the most excitement we will see before the trial so I am very glad it will be online.

bbm: Thanks, Sonya -- that is good to know.

It is two separate things that are often combined.

Misanthropes just don't like humans as a whole all that much, it can be similar to being repulsed by spiders or rats but is usually much milder, and they usually do enjoy the company of certain humans that they have something in common with. The misanthropes I have known often have a big problem with random crowds, they aren't the kind of people that stand in packed lines at Walmart during Black Friday sales events -- that is the stuff that gives them nightmares.

Most misanthropes probably do have some sociopathic attitudes (people tend to empathize with those they like, not those they dislike) but I am sure there are plenty of sociopaths that like crowds and such for whatever reasons. They would naturally avoid jobs in the medical field (if someone doesn't like cats and dogs they wouldn't become a small animal vet) but some do enjoy forensic pathology or jobs related to the funeral industry.

The way I understand socipathy is that they basically all have a lack of conscience but there are many personality types just like anything else and can be from mild to severe. I guess they can appear to have a conscience, whether acting as if or whether something didnt' go their way........Just from readings and my own observations, dont' know about misanthropes but I dont' think sociopaths (like histrionics) would want to die, too self absorbed, yet anyone who can commit such a heinous crime to LG " MUST" be sociopathic - in my simple mindedness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member