GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking how ironic it is if McD is claiming that LE entered his apartment illegally, considering he is also accused of entering other tenants' apartments without their consent or knowledge, and even stealing from them.

One of the people he is accused of "stealing condoms" from is his own sister! I find it very unlikely that the sister is pressing charges, I also wonder if he was visiting his sisters home and took a condom while in the bathroom or whatever.

I am surprised no one as brought up the discovery of the panties. The motions say they found the panties on the FIFTH apartment search warrant a full 3 weeks after the first searches. The panties weren't hidden under a carpet or in an air vent they were sitting in a dresser drawer! They actually found them about a day or two before they turned the apartment over to the McDaniels.

These officers were the ones that spotted the condoms and immediately turned that into a burglary charge (based on his comments about being a virgin), they also found the keys and realized one was a master key, yet they miss a pair of blood stained women's panties in a drawer for weeks? If there was a fair amount of blood on those panties I am surprised the dogs didn't find them. If I were on that jury I would want to know if the undergarment had been exposed to fresh blood that had soaked in, or had dried blood fragments.

By that time they were probably already getting preliminary DNA reports back from the lab and more or less knew what type of evidence the FBI had (whether or not the final report was published). From what I have read DNA tests can be processed in as little as 2-3 days if the lab has the staff and it is a rush order. Seeing as how the FBI showed up and volunteered their lab right after the body was found it would be safe to say they also rushed the testing.

One of the people he is accused of "stealing condoms" from is his own sister! I find it very unlikely that the sister is pressing charges, I also wonder if he was visiting his sisters home and took a condom while in the bathroom or whatever.

I am surprised no one as brought up the discovery of the panties. The motions say they found the panties on the FIFTH apartment search warrant a full 3 weeks after the first searches. The panties weren't hidden under a carpet or in an air vent they were sitting in a dresser drawer! They actually found them about a day or two before they turned the apartment over to the McDaniels.

These officers were the ones that spotted the condoms and immediately turned that into a burglary charge (based on his comments about being a virgin), they also found the keys and realized one was a master key, yet they miss a pair of blood stained women's panties in a drawer for weeks? If there was a fair amount of blood on those panties I am surprised the dogs didn't find them. If I were on that jury I would want to know if the undergarment had been exposed to fresh blood that had soaked in, or had dried blood fragments.

By that time they were probably already getting preliminary DNA reports back from the lab and more or less knew what type of evidence the FBI had (whether or not the final report was published). From what I have read DNA tests can be processed in as little as 2-3 days if the lab has the staff and it is a rush order. Seeing as how the FBI showed up and volunteered their lab right after the body was found it would be safe to say they also rushed the testing.

You make some really interesting points. I do think, though, that we need to consider that, perhaps, the dogs did find them -- or the investigators did -- before they were actually seized.

One warrant search/seizure is being challenged in the defense motions because, the defense says, not all the items taken on that search fit the description on the warrant of what was being searched for and would be seized.

Maybe investigators, in the case of the panties, were being careful and waiting to make sure they had a warrant that would cover them without question. (They described them pretty specifically in the warrant on which they were taken, I believe.) Something to think about.

I'll need to look back at some of the documents to comment further.

One warrant search/seizure is being challenged in the defense motions because, the defense says, not all the items taken on that search fit the description on the warrant of what was being searched for and would be seized.

I believe that was the first search warrant.

So 3 weeks go by, and that is how long it took them to find the panties, the piece of evidence that may prove to be the "smoking gun" surfaces.

Alrighty then. The motions were filed 1.5 years after the search warrants. 1.5 years ago Buford and his investigator were busy finding "bloody gloves" in the laundry room. LOL.

Troll internet posts, graphic perfect murder statements, bloody panties found in obvious places after 3 weeks searching, painted gloves found in laundry rooms, Indian Folklore and Astrology, Swamp Douche Barbie, stealing condoms from your sister, sleeping with THREE guns on the bed.

A whole lot of hinky going on.

So 3 weeks go by, and that is how long it took them to find the panties, the piece of evidence that may prove to be the "smoking gun" surfaces.

Alrighty then. The motions were filed 1.5 years after the search warrants. 1.5 years ago Buford and his investigator were busy finding "bloody gloves" in the laundry room. LOL.

Troll internet posts, graphic perfect murder statements, bloody panties found in obvious places after 3 weeks searching, painted gloves found in laundry rooms, Indian Folklore and Astrology, Swamp Douche Barbie, stealing condoms from your sister, sleeping with THREE guns on the bed.

Hmm, who found what first? THe panties or the alleged bloody gloves?? QUITE interesting to say the least

bbm: Well, the first search is one example -- I think there may be at least one other, will have to check -- where LE apparently (according to the defense motions) took items they were not authorized by the warrant to take. (The defense is challenging that search, first, on the grounds that it was the "fruit" of earlier unconstitutional searches and asks that all the evidence seized in it be excluded -- but, if that doesn't fly, they ask that the items seized outside of what the warrant described be excluded.)

for reference to the quotes below:
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...l#wgt=rcntnews

On that first one, according to Motion 2.6, they apparently were authorized to take:

...blood and blood spatter, body parts and body tissue and fluids, knives, cutting implements and instruments capable of dismembering a human body, cleaning and laundry supplies, garbage bags, paint and painting tools, which are evidence of the crime of Murder
This is what they apparently actually did seize:

Knife,curved, in a black case
Knife, "Maxim",folding pocket knife, black in color
Knife, red in color, Swiss Army, in black case
Ka-Bar knife, in plastic,black in color, holster
Knife, folding style, in brown leather case
Sword, red in color, wooden handle, in black case
Pair of white and blue, New Balance shoes
White, cotton "V" shaped cloth
White, cotton T-shirt
White, Hane's underwear
Gray bath towel
Gray T-shirt
Knife, in black cloth case, folding type, with red oval in handle
Gray towel
13 cutting equipment Knives & Swords"
(in the quote above, I corrected "Kaites" to "Knives" in the last item -- looking back at the handwritten notes, that obviously is what was meant)

If those clothing/towel items had detectable (by dogs, possibly ...? hmmm*) or blood spatter, body tissue, or body fluids on them, they may have felt they had authorization to take them in terms of the warrant. Otherwise -- not so much. (I guess they could really s-t-r-e-t-c-h, maybe, and say that almost any clothing or towel item that has been used would have at least some tiny amount of someone's body tissue or fluid on it, but..."evidence of the crime of Murder"...?) *ETA: It occurs to me that, if dog reactions were the qualifying factor for the clothing/cloth items, in the eyes of LE, and if the defense manages to get "dog testimony", as we discussed earlier, thrown out ... seizing these items may prove very hard to justify. Could be a real blow for the prosecution. (As bessie kind of said earlier: We need some lab results to really make heads or tails of a lot of this that's coming out.)

And yes, checking back, same basic situation with the second warrant search: Now, in Motion 2.7, defense challenges that search -- again as tainted "fruit" of earlier unconstitutional searches, also noting that this warrant sort of "grew" out of the execution of the first one (which defense, of course, says was also tainted) -- and, again, if that argument doesn't get everything excluded that came from this warrant, the defense asks that the items seized that were not described in the warrant be excluded.

The warrant for this one repeats the same "authorized to take" types of items as the one above and also adds some (in the quote below, I bolded the ones I saw that were added.)

...blood and blood spatter, body parts, and body tissue and fluids, knives, firearms, or any other instrument capable of inflicting bodily injury, cutting implements, instruments capable of dismembering a human body, cleaning and laundry supplies, garbage bags, paint and painting tools, computers, cameras and any other digital storage devices, which are evidence of the crime of Murder
It seems, this time, they actually came away with:

Century Arms International Model GP1975 7.62 Caliber Rifle Serial number: GP7508169.
Tangfolio Model: Witness Caliber: 1Omm Pistol Serial number: EA42183 Tangfolio Model: Witness Caliber: 9mm Pistol Serial number: EA41214 Black Canon camera
Rope, secre line, white in color, nylon
wooden stick, 4 foot long
wooden stick, 6 foot long
strip of duct tape, gray in color
Mesh, chain mail vest
White in color rope in clear bag
4 Baseball bats
hand sheaves, black tip, wooden handle
wad of hair
laptop, gray in color
ext hard drive, black in color
SD card reader Pack of writing papers with handwriting on it
Cell phone, gray in color, "Nokia" Foam cup with" Lauren" written on it
Wal Mart receipt for 06-23-11
"P" trap
Shoelace
Bayonet
One "Wal Mart" key
Silvercase with journal and laptop
Stack of Kroger receipts
Several pieces of cloth strips
One "Georgia" key
Bibb County Law Clerk ID
green scrub sponge
Again, here, it does look as if (barring things we don't know concerning these items -- and there sure may be some) LE took a few things that don't really fit the description in the warrant of what they were authorized to take. ETA #2: Example -- and question: Receipts. Certainly not really capable of doing bodily harm, etc., so -- if not blood-spattered, tainted with fluids, etc. -- can LE take receipts that show purchase of things (weapons, cleaning products, paint, etc.) described in a warrant, even if the authorization in the warrant does not specifically name/describe "receipts"? Anybody?

I think --just IMO, now -- LE was (understandably) going at the searches really hard in the aftermath of Lauren's partial remains being found; the dogs; feeling they had a likely suspect; Lauren's family headed down to Georgia; etc. And I think probably they did jump the gun a bit on some of these items -- unless there's a good explanation we don't know yet for every one of the "out of place" items that justifies them under the descriptors in the warrants.

(I wonder if maybe there was a thought that Stephen would not be taking up residence at the jail right away -- maybe they didn't have the "burglary" thing worked out yet and felt there might not yet be enough evidence to arrest him for murder -- so they were overreaching to get that evidence and/or to at least remove all they could, lest he return...? Just a thought. I've even wondered, at times, if they considered letting him go and keeping him under surveillance.)

I do kind of think the panties must not have shown up during these searches, or they likely would have taken them -- why not, especially if they seemed to have blood on them, since they were taking things like a T-shirt, towels, etc. I believe we heard at a hearing that they were found in SM's sock drawer, "balled up" -- wonder if they could have been rolled up into a pair of socks, something like that...? (That last part is just me speculating -- not from a hearing.)

Anyhow, I do think it kind of strange that they showed up so late in the game.

Whew, that last part of your post could be a jumping-off place to lots of discussion! (And I have just tonight noticed some stuff in the recent coverage/documents that I missed entirely before and that kind of has me reeling... so there is lots to discuss, isn't there, after nothing new for so long?) But, for now, since this is long, I'll just say: Yeah, the "guns on the bed" thing stood out for me, too. We can talk about it later!

Is anyone reading the description above as likely indicating that most of those rumors were not true? (The "superficial cut or wound" does fit with one rumor I recall.) I'm thinking that way -- although I suppose something could have been held back out of the report...?

I read that part of the affidavit as being a description of the events at the time, not necessarily all of the facts in hindsight.

When they opened that bag they may have only glimpsed the upper half of the torso, they surely didn't pull the bag out and unwrap the body at that moment. Maybe those guys are a lot more jaded and macho than I am but if I had to open a bag like that, pretty much knowing what would be in it, the moment I confirmed the suspicion I would be calling for the forensic guys or the county coroner immediately and not want to see more than I had to at that moment. Even jaded homicide detectives would rarely come across a scene like that especially in Macon.

(Such as "something might have jumped on me in the parking lot", IIRC.) Such statements could have been part of a larger "I don't want this search to take place" objection -- but I don't remember that Patterson or Winters went that far with it.

Yeah and I think we can be fairly certain Stephen never said "something jumped on me in the parking lot". That was no doubt one of Winter's cute witticisms/sarcastic comments.

I question whether prosecutors can paraphrase in that manner in front of a judge without it coming back to haunt them.

Sloppy.

Well, it seems Macon Judicial Circuit district attorney-elect David Cooke has not yet officially taken office, after all -- even though, as we've seen, he's signed some documents related to Lauren's case. Guess he has been "transitioning in" for a few weeks.

Macon's 13WMAZ television ran a story tonight that says Cooke will officially take office on Jan. 1, 2013, and an interview with him. Didn't see the whole thing, but did hear enough to know that Lauren's case is discussed briefly in the the interview.

David Cooke Readies for Office as New District Attorney

To see the video:

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/topstori...e-Readies-for-Office-as-New-District-Attorney

Hope WSers are having a good holiday season!

I sure was hoping interest in Lauren's case would pick back up.

I sure was hoping interest in Lauren's case would pick back up.

Well, my interest is still high.

The case is back in the local news:
McDaniel defense team says it’s missing disclosure items from prosecutors

Lawyers for accused killer Stephen McDaniel requested more time Monday to draft pretrial motions, in part because prosecutors have yet to hand over “a number of missing items” of discovery, they say. ...

...The original deadline for the defense team’s pretrial motions was Aug. 31. McDaniel’s lawyers later requested an extension to Dec. 15.

The defense filed 31 motions Dec. 14, and has asked for a new deadline of April 30.
read more at: http://www.macon.com/2013/01/07/2308282/mcdaniel-defense-team-says-its.html

ETA: Also:
McDaniel's Defense Files Another Motion
http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/McDaniels-Defense-Files-Another-Motion--185951431.html

Just saw the Macon.com article. They haven't gotten the lab reports back on the hair yet??? After EIGHTEEN MONTHS????

Why on earth would that be the case? Maybe they couldn't get any conclusive DNA out of it in their labs so they are trying to a have other types of testing done?

Anyone have any ideas why it would take 18 months??

Just saw the Macon.com article. They haven't gotten the lab reports back on the hair yet??? After EIGHTEEN MONTHS????

Why on earth would that be the case? Maybe they couldn't get any conclusive DNA out of it in their labs so they are trying to a have other types of testing done?

Maybe they couldn't and maybe they keep trying for something becuase they need the dna evidence and dont' want to turn what they have over that to the defense, becuase it's detrimental to their case no doubt. I'm sure they are determined to find some DNA somewhere if it's there.

More seasoned-than-me WSers could probably tell you details better (anybody?), but I THINK there have been some cases where testing, etc., was complete and results "verbally known", for lack of a better term coming to mind, but formal reports from the FBI apparently were delayed as long as possible -- in effect, keeping the results away from the defense as long as possible. Not saying that is what is happening here, but it could be...

More seasoned-than-me WSers could probably tell you details better (anybody?), but I THINK there have been some cases where testing, etc., was complete and results "verbally known", for lack of a better term coming to mind, but formal reports from the FBI apparently were delayed as long as possible -- in effect, keeping the results away from the defense as long as possible. Not saying that is what is happening here, but it could be...

Well if the results conclusively proved it WAS his DNA why on earth would they want to keep that a secret? They have to disclose everything before trial anyway.

Could they be shopping those samples around to different experimental labs or otherwise hoping to get some experts that will testify in their behalf?

Or maybe they are doing this as a psychological ploy? Let the defense wait and wonder as long as possible and try to plan a strategy around the assumption they DO have DNA? Tis a mystery!

possibly dont' have any damming dna so are holding off in hopes and until they do???

Well if the results conclusively proved it WAS his DNA why on earth would they want to keep that a secret? They have to disclose everything before trial anyway.

Could they be shopping those samples around to different experimental labs or otherwise hoping to get some experts that will testify in their behalf?

Or maybe they are doing this as a psychological ploy? Let the defense wait and wonder as long as possible and try to plan a strategy around the assumption they DO have DNA? Tis a mystery!

bbm: Sonya, for some reason, I have to laugh every time you say ""Tis a mystery". Think I'll incorporate that into my own lingo -- hope you don't mind.

More on topic: I don't know what the reason would be to hold off on the formal reports -- that's why I was hoping some WSers who have seen that happen in other cases might join in to suggest some possibilities/recap reasons from other cases.

IF that is what's happening, I'd think it'd almost have to be a psychological ploy to some degree -- also could be just giving the defense less time to come up with ways to attack the evidence, if they DO have dna. I agree with you: It would really seem more likely to me that they don't, to use such a strategy -- that maybe, as you and tomkat suggest, they might be still hunting and/or "shopping". It seems as if, if they have dna, they'd want the defense to know (as you said, why on earth hold that back) -- pretty big psychological push there, too, I'd think -- maybe hoping for a plea bargain, etc.

How hard is it to obtain definitive dna from hair without roots attached, anybody know? It is possible, no? Just not something I know much about.

How hard is it to obtain definitive dna from hair without roots attached, anybody know? It is possible, no? Just not something I know much about.

I think without the root they can get mitochondrial DNA most of the time (I ain't no expert). Just mitochondrial would be pretty darn daming evidence IF they have it... except...this jury is in Bibb County. Chances are most jurors won't trust LE much at all and they probably would struggle with 4th grade math, if people they don't like start throwing a bunch of 'crazy' hypothetical mathematical statistics at them well....and if the defense that they do like puts some experts up against the evidence...they won't understand either argument so they will go with the side they WANT to agree with.

In explaining their new forensic weapon to juries, FBI agents DiZinno and Wilson won’t say that mitochondrial DNA can be used to make a positive identification. Instead, they speak of the frequency that a particular DNA sequence appears in its current database of 1,043 individuals. (Sandy Zabell, a Northwestern University math professor, has argued in court, so far unsuccessfully, that the FBI’s database is too small and too narrowly drawn to lead to any conclusion at all.)

Jurors Are Confused

By contrast, in standard DNA cases, FBI agents give jurors statistics indicating the likelihood that a defendant’s DNA could have come from another person. That likelihood is usually very small, on the order of one in 200 billion.

Nonetheless, the distinctions between nuclear and mitochondrial DNA appear to be lost on many jurors. Indeed, the six jurors in mitochondrial DNA cases who were interviewed for this article spoke—incorrectly— of mitochondrial DNA’s powerful capacity to identify suspects.

http://www.themacdonaldcase.org/accuracy.html

Yes I am sure missing evidence is common in cases, trivial lab reports and such, but NOT smoking gun crucial DNA evidence.

Okay just pondering here....but does her hair look bleached or heavily highlighted? Based on the somewhat vague root definition I think probably foiled. If her hair was foiled with two tones then she would light brown strands too, based on this photo it looks like there were dual colors in use:

Lauren+Giddings.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member