GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavy rain in the middle Georgia area for several days is making a little headway toward taking us out of a rain deficit for the year, but bringing the possibility of flooding for the Ocmulgee River and other bodies of water.

I know the Ocmulgee is thought by some to be the likely spot where Lauren's missing remains could be ... and just wondering, if that should be true, if there is a chance flood conditions could reveal something, even after these many months.

read more at: http://www.macon.com/2013/02/11/2351414/flood-watch-posted-for-north-of.html

I PRAY SO!! I wonder where she is quite often!

Traveling to Macon and back home later today. As it has since Lauren's death, that park area (don't know what it is really) right after you merge from I-75 to I-16 east will catch my attention for some reason.

tomkat: I know you check into the thread pretty regularly and there is something I've been wanting to ask you about -- and, of course, anybody else who can comment is welcome.

I know you have told us you are a landlord and, though I don't recall you ever saying you've dealt with multi-unit/apartment types of things that might employ a master key system, still thought you might have some knowledge/thoughts on the keys listed as items taken in the Warrant Two search of SM's apartment.

On page 72 of the pdf document of the defense motions at this link:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/540762-mcdaniel-defense-motions-351-pages.html#wgt=rcntnews

is the return listing of items taken in that search. The keys are identified this way:

One "Wal Mart" key
One "Georgia" key
I'm assuming WalMart and Georgia are the "names" on the key blanks the keys were made on. Now what I am thinking is that the WalMart key is probably the key said to be to Lauren's apartment, and the Georgia key is the one said to be the master key --'cause I'm thinking that, with a legitimate master key system, you probably can't just run down to WalMart, hand over a master key and say "Copy that for me please." (Of course, I could be plain wrong about all this, but this is my starting point.)

What I'm wondering is whether you know anything about the "Georgia" imprint, what company or whatever that is, whether it is one connected to "master key" or other special security systems ordinarily -- anything you know that might be a clue as to whether that key (if I'm right that the "Georgia" one is the "master key" found) would be likely to be one legitimately made for the apartment complex, and thus lost/stolen/misplaced/whatever, or a "homemade" one. (I'm also wondering if "Georgia" is the complete name on the blank or an abbreviation of something longer -- have searched online and can't find any sure answer to my questions about this label.)

We still don't know whether the "master key" is a "real" one made through normal channels or one of those knock-off masters -- I forget what they're called, but the possibility of such was discussed early on, I think, in Lauren's threads, and as I remember it's not hard to find online how it's done. If I'm remembering correctly, a person attempting to make one would need (a) any key fitting any one lock in the complex that a master key will unlock (Lauren's key or Stephen's own key, for example) and (b) an appropriate kind of "master" blank. (And then some tools, a little skill and some time, IIRC.) So I wonder -- how hard would it be to get the right kind of blank, are they hard to come by because of what they are intended for, etc.

I know that we saw reported on macon.com a bit ago about the civil action against the apartment complex being settled out of court -- and landlord BB was still saying no "real" master key had gone missing, while the other side was claiming one had (was lost while BB was gardening or something, IIRC).

So, does the "Georgia" imprint ring any bells for you? I know I haven't expressed my question/s all that clearly, but you kind of see what I'm wondering about?

Backwoods - sorry I didn't quote you but it's too hard to delete text on my phone.

I think the "Georgia" key is probably Georgia as in the University of Georgia. Some places like Home Depot have specialty keys you can get cut with team logos and things. I'm just guessing though.

(Go Dawgs :) )

tomkat: I know you check into the thread pretty regularly and there is something I've been wanting to ask you about -- and, of course, anybody else who can comment is welcome.

I know you have told us you are a landlord and, though I don't recall you ever saying you've dealt with multi-unit/apartment types of things that might employ a master key system, still thought you might have some knowledge/thoughts on the keys listed as items taken in the Warrant Two search of SM's apartment.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/540762-mcdaniel-defense-motions-351-pages.html#wgt=rcntnews

is the return listing of items taken in that search. The keys are identified this way:

I'm assuming WalMart and Georgia are the "names" on the key blanks the keys were made on. Now what I am thinking is that the WalMart key is probably the key said to be to Lauren's apartment, and the Georgia key is the one said to be the master key --'cause I'm thinking that, with a legitimate master key system, you probably can't just run down to WalMart, hand over a master key and say "Copy that for me please." (Of course, I could be plain wrong about all this, but this is my starting point.)

What I'm wondering is whether you know anything about the "Georgia" imprint, what company or whatever that is, whether it is one connected to "master key" or other special security systems ordinarily -- anything you know that might be a clue as to whether that key (if I'm right that the "Georgia" one is the "master key" found) would be likely to be one legitimately made for the apartment complex, and thus lost/stolen/misplaced/whatever, or a "homemade" one. (I'm also wondering if "Georgia" is the complete name on the blank or an abbreviation of something longer -- have searched online and can't find any sure answer to my questions about this label.)

We still don't know whether the "master key" is a "real" one made through normal channels or one of those knock-off masters -- I forget what they're called, but the possibility of such was discussed early on, I think, in Lauren's threads, and as I remember it's not hard to find online how it's done. If I'm remembering correctly, a person attempting to make one would need (a) any key fitting any one lock in the complex that a master key will unlock (Lauren's key or Stephen's own key, for example) and (b) an appropriate kind of "master" blank. (And then some tools, a little skill and some time, IIRC.) So I wonder -- how hard would it be to get the right kind of blank, are they hard to come by because of what they are intended for, etc.

I know that we saw reported on macon.com a bit ago about the civil action against the apartment complex being settled out of court -- and landlord BB was still saying no "real" master key had gone missing, while the other side was claiming one had (was lost while BB was gardening or something, IIRC).

So, does the "Georgia" imprint ring any bells for you? I know I haven't expressed my question/s all that clearly, but you kind of see what I'm wondering about?

Bump key is what was discussed, the illegal way to enter

Some blanks have names imprinted on them, like USPS does, anyone can stamp a imprinted name or number on a key like 206 A or something identifying it's use. The Walmart key apparently came from Walmart when copied and Georgia could be a name brand or a UGA key from anywhere, you know the specialty keys for teams or whatever

I have not dealt with a master key system because it just seems easier to use the "rekey" locksets nowadays, but I don't manage 100 unit complexes, but smaller multi family complexes. Always heard that if you lose the master key(would hope you'd have an extra though) then you have to change all the locks and start over. Which brings many more questions to mind. BUT, So if that's the case, then if Lauren had a local walmart key to her door , the question is; was it copied from the original lockset or was a new lock set installed and if so, well, the master key wouldnt' work anyway, on her door. Another question is; If you have a master key set and you have a new tenant move in,I would want to change the lockset anyway, for safety reasons. No telling who has a key to that unit. If indeed you have to change all locksets if the master is lost, then it seems you can't change locks when needed if you want to use the master key, or do you then have to make another master key??

Sorry I couldn't help!

Oh and they lived on Georgia Avenue, so now I wonder if it was part of a master system to be named such, as identity purposes

http://www.macon.com/2013/02/21/2364929/family-no-death-penalty-for-suspect.html Well, this shoe just dropped, I don't read anything into it , should have never been on the table to start with .

Thank you for posting, AgentFrank -- I was in the dark about this until I saw your post.

A few bits from the story at your link:

Giddings family agrees to drop death penalty

...Billy Giddings, Lauren’s father, said immediate family mulled her accused killer’s fate over during their daily phone conversations and around the dinner table.

He said his wife’s religion “won’t allow her” to see her daughter’s killer put to death. Karen Giddings is Catholic, as was Lauren. ...

...Kaitlyn Wheeler, Lauren’s sister, said she believes in the death penalty.

“I think the death penalty was made for cases like this. It doesn’t get worse than this,” she said. “It doesn’t always mean it’s what’s best for the case. It doesn’t always mean it’s right.” ...

...“We just always try to work for what’s best for the case,” she said. ...

...Due to a FBI lab backlog, several items of trace evidence, including fibers, hair and the bathtub removed from Giddings’ apartment, won’t be tested until a trial date is set. ...

...Reached by phone Thursday morning, Stephen McDaniel’s mother hadn’t heard that prosecutors were no longer seeking lethal injection as a punishment.

“It’s wonderful,” she said upon hearing the news. “At this point, I’m not going to comment any more than just to say it’s wonderful.” ...

...Sarah Gerwig-Moore, a Mercer University law professor, said Giddings expressed reservations about capital punishment during class discussions.

“She expressed and shared a lot of concern about the inequities in how the capital punishment is applied, about the painfulness of the process for everyone involved,” Gerwig-Moore said. “I think Lauren was as concerned about that as any student I’ve come across.” ...
much more at: http://www.macon.com/2013/02/21/2364929/family-no-death-penalty-for-suspect.html

ETA: There is also a statement about the case from the DA, currently running as a sidebar on the same page.

Backwoods - sorry I didn't quote you but it's too hard to delete text on my phone.

I think the "Georgia" key is probably Georgia as in the University of Georgia. Some places like Home Depot have specialty keys you can get cut with team logos and things. I'm just guessing though.

(Go Dawgs :) )

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that possibility.

Bump key is what was discussed, the illegal way to enter

Some blanks have names imprinted on them, like USPS does, anyone can stamp a imprinted name or number on a key like 206 A or something identifying it's use. The Walmart key apparently came from Walmart when copied and Georgia could be a name brand or a UGA key from anywhere, you know the specialty keys for teams or whatever

I have not dealt with a master key system because it just seems easier to use the "rekey" locksets nowadays, but I don't manage 100 unit complexes, but smaller multi family complexes. Always heard that if you lose the master key(would hope you'd have an extra though) then you have to change all the locks and start over. Which brings many more questions to mind. BUT, So if that's the case, then if Lauren had a local walmart key to her door , the question is; was it copied from the original lockset or was a new lock set installed and if so, well, the master key wouldnt' work anyway, on her door. Another question is; If you have a master key set and you have a new tenant move in,I would want to change the lockset anyway, for safety reasons. No telling who has a key to that unit. If indeed you have to change all locksets if the master is lost, then it seems you can't change locks when needed if you want to use the master key, or do you then have to make another master key??

Sorry I couldn't help!

bbm: Oh, you did help, thank you -- just wanted to hear your thoughts on it all.

Also wanted to mention to non-locals that middle Georgia is once again to experience heavy rains and flooding (may be of interest to those who feel some of Lauren's remains may have been placed in the Ocmulgee River or other body of water):

Flooding Expected in Middle Ga. This Weekend

...Periods of heavy rain will continue through Saturday. Rain amounts ... can be expected... with totals closer to 4" across Middle Georgia.

This watch is only for the first round of heavy rain expected to begin the weekend. A second round of potentially heavy rain may add an additional 1-2" over the watch area Sunday night into Monday. This may require an additonal watch to be issued. ...

...Widespread minor flooding of the larger creeks and rivers is most likely to occur with the expected heavy rain. This would include the Chattahoochee, Flint, Ocmulgee, and Oconee River basins and their associated tributaries, mainly south of Atlanta and Athens. ...

read more at: http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/217006/153/Flooding-Expected-in-Middle-Ga-This-Weekend

A big THANK YOU to Backwoods for keeping us current with Lauren's case.

A big THANK YOU to Backwoods for keeping us current with Lauren's case.

You're welcome, pearl -- but seems AgentFrank and others get the "big news" things here first, while I am most often posting trivia and filler...but I guess my efforts do at least keep the thread bumped up.

Finally!!

As always, my thoughts are with Lauren's loved ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member