GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #15 *appeals denied*

A little flurry of news before the pre-trial hearings that begin tomorrow:

I believe a longer version of this may be posted later. This one includes two PDF documents at the link, relating to motions -- I'm putting the direct links to those under the main link. Thanks, WMAZ! :seeya:

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/cr.../12/11/mcdaniel-murder-motions-macon/3991061/

Links to pdfs:

http://archive.13wmaz.com/news/pdf/Reply%20to%20States%20Response%20to%20Motion%20to%20Suppress%20Keys.pdf

http://archive.13wmaz.com/news/pdf/318MotiontoExcludeLuminol.pdf

more at: http://www.macon.com/2013/12/11/2827725/blood-tests-confession-under-attack.html

I note that The Telegraph/macon.com again has not included any document pdfs in its coverage. :(

Quoting my own post from the other day just to have those pdf links handy here...

I wanted to point out, for anyone who hasn't looked at those, that the first pdf listed, the one concerning the keys, includes a photo of the keys.

There's also something else in that one that I found interesting -- from pages 11-12 of the document at the link:

... One of Lauren's friends from law school conveyed to police the previous night that when he entered Lauren's apartment with others to check on her, that a front window was unlocked. ...
http://archive.13wmaz.com/news/pdf/Reply to States Response to Motion to Suppress Keys.pdf

Now whether that unlocked window means anything at all, really, in the grand scheme of things, I don't know -- but that was new information, to me, and I thought it interesting.

Regarding number 3, iirc he used that handle on the previous site, not the one you're talking about. He did make a similar post on that site, but supposedly it all went poof.

ETA: I take that back.

I remember (to some degree) his explanation that SoL was a shortened form of his "old moniker" -- which I think he said was Son of Liberty. This other post, now they're saying the handle is Sons (plural) of Liberty, but he easily enough could have used that form as well, somewhere, I guess. (Where is MaconMom* -- we need her, to track this down! I tried a few searches last night -- kept coming up with knife forums/blogs and game forums/blogs.)

Noticed also they are calling this source a "blog" -- wonder if it is. At any rate, sounds like they will have FBI and GBI folks at the Jan. 6 hearing to speak to the post's authenticity and origin.

And -- though I can't find it in any print report and can no longer find any way to link 13WMAZ news reports, as they aired, on the "improved" station web site -- it was reported on the late news the night after the hearing that there will also be a person "to whom SM sent the post" (or something like that). This made me wonder if the "post" may be a comment on a blog. Guess we'll find out Jan. 6.

* Having said we need MaconMom -- we do, and I am also missing tomkat and AgentFrankLundy and, well, a bunch of other folks. Where are y'all? Hope all's OK with you folks.

I remember (to some degree) his explanation that SoL was a shortened form of his "old moniker" -- which I think he said was Son of Liberty. This other post, now they're saying the handle is Sons (plural) of Liberty, but he easily enough could have used that form as well, somewhere, I guess. (Where is MaconMom* -- we need her, to track this down! I tried a few searches last night -- kept coming up with knife forums/blogs and game forums/blogs.)

Noticed also they are calling this source a "blog" -- wonder if it is. At any rate, sounds like they will have FBI and GBI folks at the Jan. 6 hearing to speak to the post's authenticity and origin.

And -- though I can't find it in any print report and can no longer find any way to link 13WMAZ news reports, as they aired, on the "improved" station web site -- it was reported on the late news the night after the hearing that there will also be a person "to whom SM sent the post" (or something like that). This made me wonder if the "post" may be a comment on a blog. Guess we'll find out Jan. 6.

* Having said we need MaconMom -- we do, and I am also missing tomkat and AgentFrankLundy and, well, a bunch of other folks. Where are y'all? Hope all's OK with you folks.
He used to refer to himself as a "true born son of liberty", and "SoL" was the abbreviation. On the site we're familiar with, he only posted as SoL. I still have all of the posts. But that site was a spin off from another site where he posted as Son of Liberty. I don't recall that he used the plural.

ETA: I doubt anything is left to track. Somehow, I'd gotten a lead on two particular posts from a different site, not OC. It was probably 4C. I don't recall how it came about, but I knew the dates and the post numbers. Anyway, when I looked for them, they were gone. The posts numbers were missing, and there were gaps in the contexts of the threads right where they should have been. That was well over a year ago, and they'd already been snatched off the web. Cached versions of some OC posts are still available, but by new they're buried very deep.

Wish I could have listened to the live hearing Backwoods. I only summarized what I found in the news stories, but sounds like many things were left out. Is the hearing out there somewhere in raw form?

Bessie, I had forgotten all about that supposed spider post, mnn hmm. Did you catch the remarks made by Patterson about McD's sister and her husband?

I can't remember, will cameras be allowed at trial?
Wow! I wonder if bil will be allowed to testify.

The spider post was made on Monday night, btw, just before midnight. Prior to that, he was online posting steadily between June 22-24. Then nothing from Friday afternoon until Monday night. Afterward, I believe there was only one more post on Wednesday.

Wow! I wonder if bil will be allowed to testify.

The spider post was made on Monday night, btw, just before midnight. Prior to that, he was online posting steadily between June 22-24. Then nothing from Friday afternoon until Monday night. Afterward, I believe there was only one more post on Wednesday.

Explain with abbreviations who bil is. I know that the sis, EM had her Facebook page public and I turned it over to the police as the posts were wild and I believed spoke volumes.

EM's page quickly became private soon after so I wonder if any of those posts will be allowed in court....they were definitely not circumstantial

Hey all,
Thank you so much for the informative posts - I check in here on occasion but was detoured to the JonBenet WS link due to the parent's indictment release.
The truth be told!

Looks like things are moving forward here on Lauren's link.

I did not know an earring had been found in Mcd's car - is Lauren missing an earring?

Simms also denied another defense motion to exclude a search of McDaniel’s body for scratches. Also, the judge will allow word of ponchos and an earring found in McDaniel’s car.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2013/12/12/2828837/burglary-evidence-out-in-mcdaniel.html#storylink=cpy

Does anyone know what family member/s Patterson had been speaking with that caused him to make this statement?

Patterson said, adding later, “Your whole family said you’re crazy.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2013/12/12/2828837/burglary-evidence-out-in-mcdaniel.html#storylink=cpy

Anyone know about Judge Howard Simms' reputation on past murder trials?

I just hope and pray this judge is a good one! for Lauren and her family's sake.
I mean, it crosses my mind that if this guy walks on technicalities or mistakes on behalf of LE, I really will not be able to stand it!!

What a shame that LE didnt read him his miranda rights from the start ! - due to that mistake the video of Mcd admitting that he stole from the apartments is inadmissible.

The judge threw out questioning of McDaniel made in the hours after Giddings' body was found in a trash bin near their Macon apartment complex on June 30, 2011.
http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/macon/2013/12/12/stephen-mcdaniel-court-hearing/3997269/

Blowing off steam here.
Thanks for listening.

The Quote of the Century - I am not an attorney, but does anyone else think this statement is as rediculas as I think it is?

Hogue, the defense attorney, said "the hacksaw could be evidence of a dismemberment but not a murder." He added, "There's 10,000 ways to kill a person"

Hi, Sandstorm.

As far as I know, it's never been publicly stated that Lauren was missing an earring or that the earring found in SM's car belonged to her.

I've only listened once to the clip of the SM interrogation video and there were some things I didn't catch completely. (I'm gonna try to get a chance to listen again, with earphones.) That early on, though, I doubt his whole family was badmouthing him to LE. I just figure a lot of what Patterson was saying was pure bluffing; he was definitely hammering away at the "family" nerve. He was in the role of interrogator, and we all know how that drill goes at times.

Explain with abbreviations who bil is. I know that the sis, EM had her Facebook page public and I turned it over to the police as the posts were wild and I believed spoke volumes.

EM's page quickly became private soon after so I wonder if any of those posts will be allowed in court....they were definitely not circumstantial

I have no idea what you are referring to, since I didn't then and don't now do Facebook -- but, gotta admit, this is one of those instances where I almost wish I had/did. I miss a part of sleuthing without it, no question.

I wonder if what you saw would have changed my mind about this case, taken me off the fence.

Ah well.

Hi, Sandstorm.

As far as I know, it's never been publicly stated that Lauren was missing an earring or that the earring found in SM's car belonged to her.

I've only listened once to the clip of the SM interrogation video and there were some things I didn't catch completely. (I'm gonna try to get a chance to listen again, with earphones.) That early on, though, I doubt his whole family was badmouthing him to LE. I just figure a lot of what Patterson was saying was pure bluffing; he was definitely hammering away at the "family" nerve. He was in the role

bbm

Didn't we discuss a missing piece of Lauren's jewelry in an earlier thread? I seem to remember something about her family not finding some piece of jewelry in her apartment. I think we speculated that it might have been a bracelet given to her by her boyfriend in Atlanta. I think there was even a picture of her wearing it at a ballgame. Of course, I could be wrong.

Hi, Sandstorm.

I've only listened once to the clip of the SM interrogation video and there were some things I didn't catch completely. (I'm gonna try to get a chance to listen again, with earphones.) That early on, though, I doubt his whole family was badmouthing him to LE. I just figure a lot of what Patterson was saying was pure bluffing; he was definitely hammering away at the "family" nerve. He was in the role

bbm

Didn't we discuss a missing piece of Lauren's jewelry in an earlier thread? I seem to remember something about her family not finding some piece of jewelry in her apartment. I think we speculated that it might have been a bracelet given to her by her boyfriend in Atlanta. I think there was even a picture of her wearing it at a ballgame. Of course, I could be wrong.

I remember that also.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

bbm

The bf had given her a tennis bracelet, but I think it was a diamond pendant that was thought to be missing. Never heard about an earring.

ETA: This is from a December 2011 interview. Seems both the necklace and the bracelet were missing. I know some time later the family said one piece of jewelry thought to be missing had been found. I'll search for that article.
A diamond necklace, a gift Vandiver gave Giddings for her 26th birthday in April 2010, is still unaccounted for. So is a silver-and-gold, intertwining rope bracelet he gave her for Christmas last year. “I have no idea what has become of them,” Vandiver says.

Authorities have never publicly mentioned the jewelry.
http://www.macon.com/2011/12/11/1819448/lauren-giddings-and-the-man-whose.html

Found it! The bracelet turned up, but not the necklace. From Jan 20, 2012:

A silver-and-gold rope bracelet that belonged to Giddings, one her boyfriend gave her for Christmas in 2010 -- and one he thought was missing -- turned out not to be lost after all.
Giddings’ sister, Kaitlyn Wheeler, said Thursday that her family has had the bracelet all along, that there had been some confusion over which piece of Lauren’s jewelry hadn’t been accounted for. A diamond necklace Lauren’s boyfriend gave her on her 26th birthday has not been found.
http://www.macon.com/2012/01/20/1870474/mcdaniel-team-adds-member.html

Hi, GeorgiaSunshine. It's good to see you guys posting.

BIL= brother-in-law. Don't know about FB posts, but I'd think a spoken statement to LE would be allowed. Well, unless the defense team can find a way to suppress it.

I'm confused; sorry is this trial just starting or is it starting in Feb? Obviously there are camera's in the courtroom....So where are we in this trial? TIA! :grouphug:

Oh and I would love to hear/watch the LIVE hearing I missed on Friday; does anyone know if it's on youtube or preserved somewhere on tape? TIA

Oh and I would love to hear/watch the LIVE hearing I missed on Friday; does anyone know if it's on youtube or preserved somewhere on tape? TIA

Cherry, I haven't been able to find it preserved anywhere. If I do, I'll sure post it.

Also -- be aware that in the article at that link that bessie gave just above to answer your question about at what point in the trial process this case is, there is a pretty substantial error: It says the evidence concerning keys was thrown out and that is NOT the case.

Back up several posts and you'll find longer coverage that should fill in some gaps for you. (Not all gaps, because we are left wondering about some of what has gone on with the pre-trial stuff, too!)

The bf had given her a tennis bracelet, but I think it was a diamond pendant that was thought to be missing. Never heard about an earring.

ETA: This is from a December 2011 interview. Seems both the necklace and the bracelet were missing. I know some time later the family said one piece of jewelry thought to be missing had been found. I'll search for that article.
http://www.macon.com/2011/12/11/1819448/lauren-giddings-and-the-man-whose.html

Found it! The bracelet turned up, but not the necklace. From Jan 20, 2012:

http://www.macon.com/2012/01/20/1870474/mcdaniel-team-adds-member.html

Yep, all this is right. Interesting that we didn't hear of the "missing" (really and thought-to-be) pieces until the multi-part interview piece The Telegraph did with boyfriend DV, who divulged that. So -- I'd say it is possible an earring (or earrings) were also cataloged as being missing and it's just never been released (though I am thinking not, and will explain later why I think that if I can find the background/links I'll have to hunt up).

I don't know if Macon Mom is still around, but, I am pretty sure I still have on an old drive, some postings and pictures he posted. I was so weirded out by that site and the stuff I found, not to mention what happened after, that I dropped everything and ran. Sounds like LE was on the receiving end of a bunch of it anyway.

It's possible that nobody knew Lauren was missing an earring, but one was found and determined to be Lauren's through DNA.

Most important to me is what may have been found along side the earring in the earring recovery location. I may have missed precisely where it was found in his car. Was there biological material along with the earring? Her earring being there by itself may not amount to much other than to say she was in the car. WHEN was Lauren last seen with that earring on (if it's hers)?

I still can't believe her other remains haven't been located and it makes me so depressed.

I can only pray when the evidence is revealed and he is convicted, that one of his family members might convince him to reveal the location(s).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back