GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #15 *appeals denied*

I think I do believe his statement about when he placed the torso in the place it was found.

I have long thought it was possible that Lauren's remains had been placed there earlier than the night before discovery. I still wonder if there may have not been truth to the rumor that a garbage worker (or someone else) alerted to something unusual and reported it that morning -- thus bringing LE back to the scene VERY quickly. (And maybe explained the "delayed" garbage pickup that morning...)

Not sure I believe that Patterson noticed an odor/flies and thus made the discovery -- unless that container had been opened for more than a few seconds (and SM himself could have peeked in very briefly at some point, IMO, to check on the status) at some point since the torso was placed.

early on there were reports of the trash smelling for a few days IIRC, I had a potential renter in the Byron area who had lived near there and attested to the trash smelling for a few days. I beleive we have all discussed this as well and there was confusion after the detective stated he alone noted the smell but others had previously reported the smell for days

I keep remembering the dead animal smell that was supposedly the cause of the stench in the area

I wonder how BL from operatorchan feels right about now? Even when they were going over the evidence he wrote that he was sorry about the trouble the Mickey Finn post caused SM. I hope now he is sorry for the trouble SM cause Laura.
I am glad that SM plead guilty. It was the talk of Macon today.

I agree. It's a sanitized, self-serving version of the truth. A trade off. Lauren's family won't have to sit through a grueling trial with an uncertain outcome. Taxpayers save a few bucks, the D.A. saves time, and LE can close the books on another homicide. The desired result is attained, BUT, with McD in control. It's pretty sickening when you think of it in those terms. I'm still greatly relieved, however, that it turned out this way. IMO, it's not necessary to have every detail spelled out. Those who've paid attention can fill in the blanks. There is one detail that niggles at me, and that's McD's claim that the other remains went into the Mercer dumpsters. I haven't heard the Giddings' interview yet, so I don't know if they've addressed their feelings about it. Hopefully, they are satisfied with the explanation, and won't be left with lingering doubt.

quite and we all have things stuck in our minds that we will probably question forever and that's fine too. I am glad it's over, atleast in the system.

I was actually stunned almost speechless today by this news, and that doesn't happen to me often. A little corner of my mind suspected a plea deal was in the works, but the rest of my brain said no SM wants his chance to shine in court and show how smart he thinks he is. As for his one page allocution, hah. He shows more guilt in the infamous tv interview that Knox reposted upthread than he does in his written statement. I wish the DA had made him account for all the evidence against him. IMO, he has given a false or sanitized version of events. No matter, I guess, since it is enough to keep him in prison for a long, long time. I personally don't want the DA to drop the child *advertiser censored* charges. I think he should be punished for them too.
I pray for Lauren's parents, family, and friends. This plea has brought closure for the criminal case. Lauren's loved ones will have to suffer Lauren's absence for the rest of their lives. I think I'll wear pink tomorrow.
I'll leave ya'll with a question. Now that the case is finished, will LE release all evidence, documents, etc to the public?

I don't know the McDaniel family personally, so can't be sure if it's nature or nurture. But I've noted his sibling also seems to have some mental health issues.

My favorite book by Stout, but

some people are just naive and backwards in their thinking, what do you do about that? I hate when parents reward their children in HOPES that it will get them on the right track. I see it as the parents being stupid and getting manipulated. But that's me, if we all thought the same and behaved the same, well, then there'd be no crime or hate or confusion,

I'm sure she didnt' purposely create a monster. You can't sue someone for being naive. He probably fought urges every day, but just becuase he's his mom's weird kid, doesn't make him a killer...........

SADLY, the poor woman will NOW see the signs she should have seen early on

HIND SITE IS 20/20

I guess we should shut this site down now becuase anything we say is irrelevant now

I'm truly glad it worked out this way, he would have never told the family where LG is (if he's honest in that statement) if he'd continued to maintain his innocence and glad they dont' have to go to trial and I hope they have closure because I'm sure they aren't happy right now

Truly, I think GM will just blame the devil or demons.

Here is the print summary and video of the 13WMAZ coverage I mentioned earlier, interview with Billy and Karen Giddings in Washington Park -- and Butterbean:

Giddings family: We look forward to forgetting him

Family and friends of Lauren Giddings gathered at Washington Park in Macon after Stephen McDaniel pleaded guilty to murdering Giddings' in 2011. ...
http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/crime/giddings-case/2014/04/21/giddings-family-relieved/7985765/

ETA: Well, drat it, looks like maybe they didn't include the original video coverage of the interview -- just the voice-over and still pics from the gathering in the park. There are still some still pics of Butterbean included -- in the video, he was running around in the park a bit, and sniffing at some rocks.

I can't remember if we ever learned specifically why Golba was certain the dumpster was used. I'd assume the dogs alerted, but that's not stated in the article. Does anyone remember more about this?
Lauren Giddings' cousin, Darrell Mann, spent several days in Macon.

Mann says he and the family asked K-9 investigator Fred Golba to help them recover the rest of her body.

Golba and his dog Rhino searched around Lauren's apartment on Georgia Avenue and at the Ocmulgee River.

He believes the body parts were put in a trash bin at Mercer Law School...

Golba calls the area where the bin is located, "in McDaniel's comfort zone."

He says, "From everything we've done, we believe the probability of her being put in that dumpster is much greater."
http://archive.13wmaz.com/news/arti...ddings-Family-Continues-to-Search-for-Remains

Please continue here.

Previous Threads:

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7

Thread #8
Thread #9

Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12

Thread #13
Thread #14

Media Thread

laurengiddings-1.jpg

Lauren Teresa Giddings

April 18, 1984 -- June 26, 2011
Rest in Peace

A terrible day in Macon today as Stephen McDaniel was allowed to enter a plea of guilty to the malice murder charge in the Lauren Giddings case. In exchange for the guilty plea to the malice murder charge, all the charges on burglary and sexual exploitation of children were dropped. Stephen McDaniel will be eligible for parole in 30 years.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 27
Clipped from
http://www.macon.com/2014/04/21/3057637/mcdaniel-to-plead-guilty.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1:
"....to explain why I killed Lauren and attempted to conceal my deed the way I did. ... I know that it was very wrong; I am not delusional or without all morals or decency.”
McDaniel said, “Something in my makeup — my psychology, my neuropathy (sic), my own particular pathology, perhaps — must explain it.” He expressed remorse, saying he grieves Giddings daily...."

He's not delusional?
He's not without all morals and decency?

Oh, so you are a model citizen?
An upstanding member of the community?
God's gift to the American legal profession?

Thanks for splainin' that for the rest of us who do not know you personally.

[end sarc].

There are new details up at macon.com, albeit under the same headline as earlier reports of today:

...With duct tape, Stephen McDaniel lashed a video camera to a 6-foot-long wooden stick and, standing beneath her second-floor apartment, peered in a living room window....

http://www.macon.com/2014/04/21/3057637/mcdaniel-to-plead-guilty.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

This is so strange -- I have been pondering all evening about that stick -- video surveillance -- Lauren's windows.... Now this.

I have also felt for most of the afternoon and evening as though someone kicked me in the stomach. Not handling this all that well, to tell the truth.

Stephen McDaniel has pleaded guilty in the strangulation and dismemberment of Lauren Theresa Giddings, 27, in Macon, GA, June 25-26, 2011.

McDaniel: "I am extremely sorry"
By Amy Leigh Womack and Joe Kovac Jr.
Telegraph staffApril 21, 2014

In the late hours of June 25 or early hours of June 26, Stephen McDaniel broke into Lauren Giddings’ apartment and fatally choked her on the floor of her bedroom. ** He used a master key and was wearing gloves and a mask.

“I walked to her bedroom door and stood there, observing her sleeping. As I took another step, the floor creaked, and she awoke. She sat up in bed,” McDaniel wrote in a statement confessing his actions on the night Giddings was killed in 2011.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/04/21/305...d-guilty.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1#storylink=cpy
Guilty Plea: Georgia Man Confesses to Strangling, Dismembering Law Student
Posted by Scott Bernarde (Editor) , April 21, 2014 at 01:17 PM

MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – Stephen McDaniel, the man accused of killing and dismembering Mercer law graduate Lauren Giddings, pleaded guilty to murder Monday morning. ** As part of the plea deal, McDaniel will serve life in prison with the possibility of parole in 2041. He must also provide a written allocution detailing the events of the night Giddings was murdered back in the summer of 2011.
McDaniel pleads guilty to murder: 'It is difficult for me to explain why I killed Lauren'
41-WMGT Macon, GA
04/21/2014 09:51 AM - 04/21/2014 02:55 PM

Giddings' family was in the courtroom. Her mother, Karen Giddings, addressed the court and said Lauren would have turned 30 last Friday on Good Friday. She said McDaniel has robbed our family and friends of so much.” ** Cooke said Giddings' family now has justice.
McDaniel Allocution

Also from the same link:

...Giddings’ parents first learned of ongoing plea negotiations last Thursday, the eve of what would have been their daughter’s 30th birthday. After Monday’s hearing, the Giddingses, along with two dozen or so friends and family members, had a noon-hour picnic in Macon’s Washington Park. There is a memorial bench for her there.

Billy Giddings said he believes about a third of McDaniel’s account of his daughter’s slaying.

“He’s had a long time to put it together. That’s about as good as he could get it, and that’s pretty horrible,” Giddings, 58, said.
Karen Giddings, Lauren’s mother, didn’t see how McDaniel could have subdued her daughter. ...
and

...“If this hadn’t happened, I think he would have been a fine lawyer,” Buford said.

After hearing that the prosecution knew about McDaniel’s peering into Giddings’ window with a video camera, McDaniel decided to plead guilty.

McDaniel, Buford and Hogue met with McDaniel’s parents Saturday afternoon so that McDaniel could tell his folks he wasn’t going to trial. “It was a very moving, but private meeting,” Hogue said.

He described Mark and Glenda McDaniel as “good people” who are “confused like anyone would be how their child could do such a thing.”

The McDaniels asked their son if he wanted them to travel from their home in Lilburn for court Monday.

He replied “no,” to try to shield his family from media questioning, Hogue said. ...
http://www.macon.com/2014/04/21/3057637/mcdaniel-to-plead-guilty.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supertooth
Back