GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/31/1649731/giddings-case-apartments-gradually.html#ixzz1TflMkrEG

No kidding. Investigators ripped out the bathtub.

I don't mean to disparage any of our members who've responded to this report, but the last segment of this otherwise informative article should have been omitted. The implications are absurd and an insult to readers. IMO
:loser:

Just the trap drains from under the bathtubs, not a bathtub itself, from the captions on the photos. Now I'm being OCD!

I am also get tired of Joe Kovak's setting the dramatic scene by describing the sky, the shadows, or birds singing in the trees. He would do a lot better to stick to the crime facts he reports. I'd agree with you, Bessie, about omitting the last segment, but would toss the first one, too.

However, I do wish Boni Bush would quit doing interviews. I know it's hard to have her business interrupted, but a precious life was lost here. It all just comes out seeming so....artificial. Kind of, whoa is me, people cancelled their leases, I need reimbursement..but let me tell you what I know personally every week in a news interview. Granted, I'm sure that is not her intention, but it is coming off that way. Like I've said before, I live in Macon and went to Mercer (undergrad) and so I've heard alot of public opinion. While most of it varies, the consensus on her is, "please stop talking!"

Expect BB to decline to be interviewed by the national crime shows -- she has too much class to be lured into it by the prospect of having her picture and her much-beleagered investment in Barristers' Hall displayed on national media. NOT! Sorry for the sarcasm, but SouthernKate has it right -- BB, this is not about you!

Sorry for the rants -- guess I'm tired of waiting for the next shoe to drop tomorrow or Tuesday.

Originally Posted by MissingLovedOnes
I know for some people, it is easier to disregard something as irrelevant if you don't really know about it, or care to learn enough to weight it as a possible explanation for behaviors that are being described as odd. It's just sad to me, although I respect our difference in viewpoints.

If you try to drive a car with 3 wheels, you're gonna be missing something and really won't get anywhere successfully. It's so much better when someone gives you the 4th tire and you're no longer stuck on 3 wheels, but that's completely up to you whether or not to accept the tire that makes the car roll. I would be pretty upset if my spouse deemed the 4th tire irrelevant and made me sit there for days trying to get those 3 wheels to take us somewhere.]

Now that's an assumption.. Speaking that because someone doesn't know about or care about Aspergers is what causes them to deem it irrelevant.. That statement simply is false and an "assumption".. I have a nephew by marriage along with a dear friends son who is the same age as my son that both have been diagnosed as Aspergers.. I know plenty about it and it's not due to lack of knowledge nor lack of care that I find it irrelevant at this point..

It's my opinion that he's not Aspergers.. And until it is stated he is diagnosed As having Aspergers would I even start focusing on something that at this point is irrelevant IMO..

An opinion that is based on no fact, no statement is not a main component in the investigation.. It is an opinion and nothing more than a speculation at best.. Just because some or many may not agree with that opinion or speculation of McD having Aspergers certainly doesn't make our viewpoint of the case incorrect, or lacking.. It is not anything that has even been referenced throughout this case by anyone involved in or around the case.. As I said if it were found to be that he had Aspergers then only at that time would it even be taken into acct.. Until then IMO it is irrelevant..

We are both entitled to our opinions and I'm perfectly fine to agree to disagree.. What I take umbrage in is that it's being alluded to that an important component is being ignored when infact it is not a component but rather a speculation and a personal opinion..

You took my answer away that I was just about to type! I am very similar.

I can completely see how McD could have his cabinets arranged just so and yet not be considered neat by other standards. OCD is all about what you need to control and what you need to adjust so that you can feel "okay." For example, my bookshelves have to be very neat and organized, in a way that I prefer, yet my closet is not. (that's just a general example - no need for personal details).

OCD can also vary as to how you are feeling or your stress level at that time. For instance, the ritualistic tendencies of OCD can get worse depending on how you feel.

I do my book cases too and my silverware!

OCD can also vary as to how you are feeling or your stress level at that time. For instance, the ritualistic tendencies of OCD can get worse depending on how you feel.

I do my book cases too and my silverware!

I wonder if maybe his mother stocked his kitchen and she's the one who turned the cans that way, hence why it seems out of order with how messy the apartment is?
Or maybe the investigation at the scene is what made the place so messy and McD normally kept it clean like his organized cabinets?

Sigh. New press release please, some word on status of the case, please.

mtg-photo_2878441_073120111.jpg

Lauren Teresa Giddings -MACON - Lauren Teresa Giddings, 27, died June 26, 2011 in Macon, Georgia where she has been residing since 2008. She was born on April 18, 1984 in Takoma Park, MD to William "Bill" and Karen (Payne) Giddings. She grew up and resided in Laurel until she moved to Georgia. She was a member of St. Mary of the Mills Catholic Church and attended St. Mary's School from kindergarten to eighth grade. She graduated from Atholton High School in Columbia in 2002 where she played field hockey and softball. In 2002, she moved to Georgia and attended Agnes Scott College until 2006 when she graduated with a major in political science, minored in religious studies and played softball. After graduation she returned home and worked for the National Center for Public Policy in Washington, DC before pursuing a career in Law.

<snipped for focus>

Probably came out of all those drains and pipes they were removing.

If McD did commit this murder, and it took place in his apartment and in his bathtub, maybe having a lot of hair in the drain would be a good thing, right? Wouldn't a drain that was semi-clogged with hair, catch any fragments or tissue that he might try and wash down it? Just a thought.

News staff rises to the challenge in Giddings case

Not long after police found Lauren Giddings&#8217; dismembered body, before they could actually say with certainty that the remains were those of the recent Mercer University law school graduate, my daughter called from Statesboro to ask if it were true that other dismembered bodies had been found in the Macon area. I have been asked that question, or a variation of it, many times since, as if such crimes would go unreported by police or the media.

My daughter is a major league tweeter, subject to rumors that spread quicker than a California wild fire. It isn&#8217;t the first time she&#8217;s called asking about something she&#8217;s read on Facebook or Twitter. Facebook and Twitter have their place, but she calls because she assumes the newspaper will sort truth from fiction.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/31/1649953/news-staff-rises-to-the-challenge.html#ixzz1Ti0EGAzm

If McD did commit this murder, and it took place in his apartment and in his bathtub, maybe having a lot of hair in the drain would be a good thing, right? Wouldn't a drain that was semi-clogged with hair, catch any fragments or tissue that he might try and wash down it? Just a thought.

Since his intent was to dispose of the DNA evidence down the drain, he likely still would have rinsed the clog of hair off in the sink, and I bet all they did was swab the drains for remaining blood/DNA evidence rather than look for bits of tissue.

It's quite enterprising, but it makes sense because Lauren's DNA should never have been coming out of drains leading directly from McDaniel's bathroom. If they lock him into a statement that she never entered his apartment on her own recently, and then find that DNA evidence leading from his bathroom or kitchen, it would bust his alibi.

This is another good reason for not releasing much on the investigation. McDaniel could conceivably get out on bail and also may have access to media releases, if he knows a lot about what's been publicly released he can come up with alibis before giving an official statement on the crime as it pertains to his activities.

I think that unfortunately, this is an area where a person has to have some first-hand experience in order to be able to accurately weigh its relevance. If you've not had significant interaction with a person dealing with Asperger's, all the armchair psychology and reading in the world probably isn't going to help you. On the other hand, if you've got that experience, you can often spot the subtle signs very quickly and accurately.

I also feel quite strongly that there are signs of Asperger's in his speech and mannerisms.

<emphasis above is mine>

While I certainly don't think the world's most renowned expert on Asperger's could (or would attempt to) definitively diagnose AS only on the basis on what we've seen of SM so far, I agree with you.

Think I was the first to mention the AS possibility on this thread and of the several others who independently have also mentioned it, I think I remember only one who didn't mention having a relative or someone else close with Asperger's. People are recognizing something here, IMO.

I was also happy to see this show up.
Although, I can't help but think it hurts him more than it helps him.
I've yet to see/hear any indication that they were even remotely "close".
Being upset that your neighbor was killed is understandable, but he just shows
far too much emotion than is warranted.
When he hears of the body being found, it looks like he almost fainted.
Like all the blood rushed out of his extremities - like major fear/panic.
And did you notice he never once asked the first question you would
expect someone in this scenario to ask... "Where?"

It would be great if someone with expertise in psychology or reading
body language could give there take on these.

If someone told me that my next door neighbor who I know and socialize with, was brutally murdered and her body was found outside the door of my house I would feel faint too. I can tell you when something that horrible does happen a lot of people react the same way. While working in ICU I saw people with the same reactions. The blood does rush out of your head and it's hard to breath.

If someone told me that my next door neighbor who I know and socialize with, was brutally murdered and her body was found outside the door of my house I would feel faint too. I can tell you when something that horrible does happen a lot of people react the same way. While working in ICU I saw people with the same reactions. The blood does rush out of your head and it's hard to breath.
Same in the ER. Some people are cool and calm. Some collapse in a heap. Some hyperventilate. Some (like my mother) immediately vomit everywhere. You never know. And it doesn't even matter whether they know the person well, or even at all. They just need to have some connection to the person, even if it is just because they live close together.

I must say I was rather surprised to see that Lauren's DOD was being stated as June 26.. I would assume that the family would go with what the coroner had listed as the DOD and that they wouldn't state this officially in her obit if it was not the date that they have been told by an official..

So, as we've discussed previously here we've seen in most cases where there's an abduction/murder that the DOD is listed as the day the remains were found(given it's all within a relative short period of time like here in Lauren's case, 4 days).. What are you guys thoughts on possibly why it would be settled upon that the 26th be the official DOD? I'm not sure but I am thinking that with the date she died being 4-4.5 days prior to having found her that an exact time of death would not be possible(I.e. Time of death within a few hours).. Does anyone know for sure if it is or is not possible for a ME to determine a time of death within a few hours give or take.. If the body is found approx. 4 days later?

If it is not possible to nail down the TOD to within a few hours of it occurring then I assume there's possibly something indicating that she was not kept alive for any length of time.. And that they've narrowed down from her activities and contact a round about time they feel she was abducted/attacked somewhere at or around or shortly thereafter around 10-10:30pm of June 25.. And with that technically leaving less than 90 minutes of the day of June 25th that they would feel it safe to assume it quite likely could have been after midnight that Saturday night technically moving it into the date of June 26th..

Any thoughts? Or anyone with knowledge about these specifics?

TIA..

I agree that people can respond very differently to bad news.
I'm not schooled in psychiatry or anything, but don't people usually go through certain "stages" in a situation like this? After the initial shock, I would think his first reaction would be one of denial. Did he not appear to go straight to "acceptance"?

To me, his reaction and behavior throughout those interviews just doesn't "feel right".

And remember, he was not informed his roommate was "brutally murdered".
He was informed that they recovered a body from the "parking lot area".
An area which he just got through searching with her friends just hours before,
looking for clues as to her disappearance.
I just can't see how, given the circumstances, anyone's initial reaction to the reporter's statement wouldn't be "What? Where?"

I must say I was rather surprised to see that Lauren's DOD was being stated as June 26.. I would assume that the family would go with what the coroner had listed as the DOD and that they wouldn't state this officially in her obit if it was not the date that they have been told by an official..

So, as we've discussed previously here we've seen in most cases where there's an abduction/murder that the DOD is listed as the day the remains were found(given it's all within a relative short period of time like here in Lauren's case, 4 days).. What are you guys thoughts on possibly why it would be settled upon that the 26th be the official DOD? I'm not sure but I am thinking that with the date she died being 4-4.5 days prior to having found her that an exact time of death would not be possible(I.e. Time of death within a few hours).. Does anyone know for sure if it is or is not possible for a ME to determine a time of death within a few hours give or take.. If the body is found approx. 4 days later?

If it is not possible to nail down the TOD to within a few hours of it occurring then I assume there's possibly something indicating that she was not kept alive for any length of time.. And that they've narrowed down from her activities and contact a round about time they feel she was abducted/attacked somewhere at or around or shortly thereafter around 10-10:30pm of June 25.. And with that technically leaving less than 90 minutes of the day of June 25th that they would feel it safe to assume it quite likely could have been after midnight that Saturday night technically moving it into the date of June 26th..

TIA..
Since they know she picked up her Zaxby's dinner at 6:30, and the bag/receipt were found at her apartment, then if she had a chance to eat this, I'm pretty sure they would be able to determine time of death. Probably fairly accurately.
As far as the obituary, I'm not sure if the coroner has released any report or death certificate, so the family could be just guessing.

TIA..
Stomach contents could lend a clue, especially if she died within 24 hours of her last meal. And entymology, though refrigeration might have an affect on that.

Here are a couple of plain language references without photos:
http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/00206/text_ta_time_since_death.htm

http://www.enotes.com/forensic-science/time-death

Anyone else getting a registration/log in screen when they try to look at macon.com articles? It worked fine earlier... TIA

Anyone else getting a registration/log in screen when they try to look at macon.com articles? It worked fine earlier... TIA

That happens to me when I try to read any Macon.com articles at work, but not at home. I'm guessing it has to do with your IP address. I may have signed up a long time ago, and that's why I don't have that problem here at home.

I agree that people can respond very differently to bad news.
I'm not schooled in psychiatry or anything, but don't people usually go through certain "stages" in a situation like this? After the initial shock, I would think his first reaction would be one of denial. Did he not appear to go straight to "acceptance"?

To me, his reaction and behavior throughout those interviews just doesn't "feel right".

And remember, he was not informed his roommate was "brutally murdered".
He was informed that they recovered a body from the "parking lot area".
An area which he just got through searching with her friends just hours before,
looking for clues as to her disappearance.
I just can't see how, given the circumstances, anyone's initial reaction to the reporter's statement wouldn't be "What? Where?"

to the part I bolded in your post above: I don't exactly think so, SuperSleuth. For one thing, as useful as the stage theory of grief may be, it's not etched in stone -- think most who study it say that the stages can sometimes happen in different order, with some grievers weaving back and forth between them.

Also, I think that switching back at points to details about the earlier search, etc. -- some of the very things that strike many people as so telling as to guilt, in fact -- could be a form of denial.

to the part I bolded in your post above: I don't exactly think so, SuperSleuth. For one thing, as useful as the stage theory of grief may be, it's not etched in stone -- think most who study it say that the stages can sometimes happen in different order, with some grievers weaving back and forth between them.

Also, I think that switching back at points to details about the earlier search, etc. -- some of the very things that strike many people as so telling as to guilt, in fact -- could be a form of denial.

The two bolded statements are perfect.

Grief does have 5 stages. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. People can bounce around in all of those from the very beginning and for years to come. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross literally wrote the book on this. Very interesting reading. You have to realize that grief is different for every single person. Even people in the same family may have completely different reactions to the same event. One is not right or wrong, just different. I'm not even going into cultural and religious differences.

Reactions to events. The things I have seen with people faced with shocking news is interesting. Some people I thought would lose it, stand stoic and say "thank you," then simply walk away. Others have complete meltdowns, wailing and unable to even stand. Some get really angry at everyone around them. Some start rambling through all kinds of unnecessary talking, trying to make some sense out of the senseless. Some shut down and say nothing. Some become violently ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammy.was.low