GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying that this would answer all our questions, or any at all, but wouldnt it be interesting to see what SM would do if he was released on bail?
You mean if we could follow him around 24/7? I think that would be very interesting.

y'all pardon me for rehashing old info that has probably already been discussed but it is one thing that really really sticks out in my mind that leads me to believe SM is the guilty party...other than the evidence that we know about

When SM was interviewed by the local TV stations...They specifically asked him a few times "so you didn't hear or see anything unusual?" he always replied "no nothing". Once he was charged he came up with the story about seeing the MM around midnight at the victim's apt. on her balcony. His rationale was that he was tired and sleepy and it didn't "hit" him until later on.....Let's be real here, if that was the case that would have "hit" him the night he joined in on the search for her. It would have "hit" him when LG's friends were frantically calling him asking about her whereabouts. It certainly would have "hit" him during the television interviews he did, and lastly it would have "hit" him right before his freedom was taken away when being questioned by LE..

-also if he threw that saw away months ago, why did it just turn up now?(o yea somebody is framing him as he is telling it) and why hold onto the packing material that it came in for so many months esp knowing he had discarded the item?

-also what struck me as odd is during that entire interview SM knew sooo many specifics. He knew who LG was hanging out with the morning before she disappeared. He knew the Detectives car and his name. He knew which street LG's friends lived on etc etc etc BUT when they asked how old she was, his tone and demeanor somewhat changed...He got sketchy and looked away(red flag) and said something to the extent of "ummmm 26, or 27 I think"

and WHO takes condoms out of others apt's? esp being he was literally surrounded by a multitude of stores.

-also if he threw that saw away months ago, why did it just turn up now?(o yea somebody is framing him as he is telling it) and why hold onto the packing material that it came in for so many months esp knowing he had discarded the item?

Was thinking about this question earlier...
I'm thinking the hacksaw packaging may have been another one of his "souvenirs".
They may have found this in some particular location, storage box, etc...
along with the condoms and other "personal items of little value" LE spoke about.
I remember the DA telling the magistrate that more burglary charges could follow.
It may be they have other items he's taken, but simply can't determine who they belonged to.

ETA:
If LE does have other "personal items" they believe he took, they could probably get DNA samples
from everyone who lived there during those 3 years and match the items to them.
Then, they would have what they'd need for those individuals to file charges.
Although, I don't know that they'd go to this trouble... unless they really feel like they
need to show beyond any doubt that he was habitually burglarizing neighbors.

y'all pardon me for rehashing old info that has probably already been discussed but it is one thing that really really sticks out in my mind that leads me to believe SM is the guilty party...other than the evidence that we know about

When SM was interviewed by the local TV stations...They specifically asked him a few times "so you didn't hear or see anything unusual?" he always replied "no nothing". Once he was charged he came up with the story about seeing the MM around midnight at the victim's apt. on her balcony. His rationale was that he was tired and sleepy and it didn't "hit" him until later on.....Let's be real here, if that was the case that would have "hit" him the night he joined in on the search for her. It would have "hit" him when LG's friends were frantically calling him asking about her whereabouts. It certainly would have "hit" him during the television interviews he did, and lastly it would have "hit" him right before his freedom was taken away when being questioned by LE..
I agree, if he really saw the person on Lauren's balcony at midnight just two days before she disappeared, and he was truly as concerned as he appeared during the interview, the memory would've come to light either Wednesday night or when questioned by LE the following day. One of the biggest holes in his story, as related by his mother, was pointed out by one of our very astute members, and I apologize for not remembering which one at the moment. His mother says McD was awakened by "a loud noise" on Thursday night around midnight. He looked out of his door to find DD on LG's balcony. DD said he was thinking about cutting the grass, which McD said wouldn't bother him because he can sleep through anything. Hmm... So why was he awakened by the" loud noise"? :waitasec: Anyway, some of the discussion can be found in this thread around August 8-10.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146695&highlight=annihilation&page=10

The point here is that there are two different saws: the one McD purchased to cut the pear tree limbs, which he discarded because it was broken; and the one used in the crime and later found in the storage room. His mother claims it would not be unusual for McD to save the packaging, and says he had receipts going back several years.

If he did own the hacksaw used in the crime, and the packaging in his apartment belongs to that particular hacksaw, it was either just an oversight or as some believe, a souvenir. I think the evidence supports either notion but we don't have enough facts to be sure. If there's a nefarious reason for saving the condoms, the same reasoning might be attributed to saving the hacksaw packaging and the Wal-Mart receipts LE found in his apartment, and they are all odd mementos of his aberration. Going back to his mother's statement that he saves things like old receipts, is he just sloppy? Maybe he stashes things away never bothering to throw them out. Or is he compulsive? Is there an illogical reason why he holds onto things? If so, it could explain the incriminating items found in his apartment.

-also what struck me as odd is during that entire interview SM knew sooo many specifics. He knew who LG was hanging out with the morning before she disappeared. He knew the Detectives car and his name. He knew which street LG's friends lived on etc etc etc BUT when they asked how old she was, his tone and demeanor somewhat changed...He got sketchy and looked away(red flag) and said something to the extent of "ummmm 26, or 27 I think"
There are several examples of selective memory in the interview. For example, he claims to have met LG's family only once, when her dog was injured by a car. Yet, we have heard from her family they encountered McD on other occasions. IMO, he attempted to create distance between LG and himself to give the impression he was indifferent toward her.

and WHO takes condoms out of others apt's? esp being he was literally surrounded by a multitude of stores.
Only one person I can name. It's possible someone might "borrow" a condom from a neighbor in a pinch. But two different neighbors within the same week? Why not just snatch a couple from the first neighbor if you anticipated the need for more than one and were too cheap to buy your own? But who would keep those condoms for 2-1/2 years?

So I will be out of work for the next couple of weeks (due to some surgery ) and plan to do some snooping around downtown and in a few other locations I feel the remains may have been taken. If any of you would like me to try and take some specific pics please send me a message and I will be happy to try and get them. I may also be able to go to the courthouse and look for public records, so if any of you have any ideas let me know.
I really want to go down river and look at a few areas that have perked my interest and also try to locate some of areas that have been used by L.A.R.P. and as hasher trails.
Please. Just send me a message so we don't clog up the board. Thanks

So I will be out of work for the next couple of weeks (due to some surgery ) and plan to do some snooping around downtown and in a few other locations I feel the remains may have been taken. If any of you would like me to try and take some specific pics please send me a message and I will be happy to try and get them. I may also be able to go to the courthouse and look for public records, so if any of you have any ideas let me know.
I really want to go down river and look at a few areas that have perked my interest and also try to locate some of areas that have been used by L.A.R.P. and as hasher trails.
Please. Just send me a message so we don't clog up the board. Thanks
Please try to make it to the commitment hearing , it would be great to get a WS POV !

A few interesting details that I found researching the Stanley hacksaw.. I first researched to see what Stanley brand hacksaw was even available at nearby Macon Walmarts( as is claimed where SM purchased his Stanley hacksaw allegedly to trim limb(s) of a Bradford pear tree) and found that there is only one particular Stanley hacksaw available at local Macon WalMarts per their store specific website, so I then called each of the local Macon WalMarts to see if indeed those stores only sold the one particular Stanley hacksaw as is stated on their website.. That was easily confirmed that yes, the Stanley Rubber Grip hacksaw is indeed the only Stanley hacksaw that they stock or sell at their particular stores..

This particular saw,exact model that was purchased at a local WalMart, some may remember I posted of an up close photo of complete with it's original packaging.. Which only consists of a cardboard sleeve that many keep and store the hacksaw in it's cardboard sheath while not in use..

Also did a little searching on the easily changed blades of the hacksaw.. And much like an individual would use their own opinion and common sense in when to change a blade on a box cutter/exacto knife when it was deemed to not being doing as thorough or efficient job in it's duties as it was with the blade new and not dulled from it's use.. So too would one use this same judgement and common sense in regularly, as needed changing the Stanley Hacksaw blade..

I did want to point out one detail that I must share as I found it to be ironic at the very least considering the description given of the Stanley hacksaw purchased by Stephen allegedly to trim Bradford pear tree limb(s) that he allegedly had to throw away..
<snipped for specific description given of the Stanley brand hacksaw>
"High -tension frame holds blade at up to 32000 P.S.I. Blade will not twist or bend."
Shopping.com

So, in speaking of the tedious task of dismemberment I personally would find it extremely likely for the blade to have been changed at minimum once(again given just the knowledge of using common sense that in the amount of work necessary of the hacksaw to complete this task a dull blade would make an already difficult task much much much more difficult).. I searched out to see what would have been available to Stephen at his local WalMart as well.. I first cross referenced the only saw available for Stephen to have purchased at WalMart and then went to the stanleytools.com/PDF to get the exact specifications and details of this particular Stanley hacksaw(p.90 in PDF) and was able to find that it was adjustable and replaceable with blades both 10inch and 12inch in size..

Again checking and double checking with the phonecalls*to specific Macon WalMarts was able to learn that only a "generic" blade of 12inches(Ultra Steel-Steel 12 inch blade replacements pack of 4) was the only available blade to have been purchased as replacing dull blades on the Stanley hacksaw from Wal Mart..

My point in even doing the searching and verifying of not only the ONLY Stanley hacksaw available at Wal Mart for Stephen to purchase(which again he fully admits purchasing Stanley hacksaw from local Macon Wal Mart for the alleged purpose of trimming Bradford pear limb(s) which ironically it's stated that it "twisted and was flimsy" and supposedly tossed in a garbage).. Along with what replacement blades were available for purchase at local Macon WalMarts.. Point is that IMO it's very likely that at some point the blades very much dulled to the point of making an already difficult task much much much more difficult.. Therefor needing to have been replaced I ponder on the thoughts of just how easily traceable replacement blades would be able to be tracked as where they were purchased(whether the generic blades available at WalMart or having bought replacement blades elsewhere at a local home improvement store).. Therefor making that Stanley hacksaw used in Lauren's dismemberment just that much more specific in nature thus connecting Stephen all the more thoroughly to her murder and dismemberment done with the specific hacksaw that is listed in Stephen's arrest warrant..*

Unless of course we soon find out thru Momma McDaniel that he also did infact purchase replacement blades and of course those were also tossed in the garbage with the hacksaw or maybe another garbage at another time different from when he tossed the Stanley hacksaw..lol..(<- tho in all seriousness I would not doubt for a moment if such details of blade replacement came to light that Momma would not possibly come up with some similar silly IMO explanation/reason for them being tied to her son..just sayin')

As many have already stated here in Lauren's threads we have seen only an absolute teeny modicum of evidence that ties Stephen to Lauren's murder and dismemberment.. I doubt seriously that at the upcoming hearing there will be any bombshell, smoking guns revealed(MOO and could be absolutely wrong).. This modicum of evidence that we the public are and will be privy to until trial(except thru leaks or the few verified rumors I feel may come to light in the meantime).. There is an entire plethora of evidence that will show before a jury of his peers, and in a court of law at the appropriate time and place(and ONLY at that appropriate time and place)more than sufficient evidence to convict him guilty, by our justice system's standards, of the murder of Lauren Giddings..

MOO.. MOO.. MOO

I agree, if he really saw the person on Lauren's balcony at midnight just two days before she disappeared, and he was truly as concerned as he appeared during the interview, the memory would've come to light either Wednesday night or when questioned by LE the following day. One of the biggest holes in his story, as related by his mother, was pointed out by one of our very astute members, and I apologize for not remembering which one at the moment. His mother says McD was awakened by "a loud noise" on Thursday night around midnight. He looked out of his door to find DD on LG's balcony. DD said he was thinking about cutting the grass, which McD said wouldn't bother him because he can sleep through anything. Hmm... So why was he awakened by the" loud noise"? :waitasec: Anyway, some of the discussion can be found in this thread around August 8-10.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146695&highlight=annihilation&page=10

The point here is that there are two different saws: the one McD purchased to cut the pear tree limbs, which he discarded because it was broken; and the one used in the crime and later found in the storage room. His mother claims it would not be unusual for McD to save the packaging, and says he had receipts going back several years.

If he did own the hacksaw used in the crime, and the packaging in his apartment belongs to that particular hacksaw, it was either just an oversight or as some believe, a souvenir. I think the evidence supports either notion but we don't have enough facts to be sure. If there's a nefarious reason for saving the condoms, the same reasoning might be attributed to saving the hacksaw packaging and the Wal-Mart receipts LE found in his apartment, and they are all odd mementos of his aberration. Going back to his mother's statement that he saves things like old receipts, is he just sloppy? Maybe he stashes things away never bothering to throw them out. Or is he compulsive? Is there an illogical reason why he holds onto things? If so, it could explain the incriminating items found in his apartment.

There are several examples of selective memory in the interview. For example, he claims to have met LG's family only once, when her dog was injured by a car. Yet, we have heard from her family they encountered McD on other occasions. IMO, he attempted to create distance between LG and himself to give the impression he was indifferent toward her.

Only one person I can name. It's possible someone might "borrow" a condom from a neighbor in a pinch. But two different neighbors within the same week? Why not just snatch a couple from the first neighbor if you anticipated the need for more than one and were too cheap to buy your own? But who would keep those condoms for 2-1/2 years?
excellent points...also following what you said about the 'loud noise'. If you see someone outside your female friends apt(who you know lives alone) at that time of the morning, it only seems logical that the very next day(really that night) you would call her just to "check" on her...

also with the hacksaw packing, the Gentleman who spoke and said he visited SM apt on a few occasions made a mental note on how clean and tidy he was so hanging onto old hacksaw packaging(which you were extremely dissatisfied with)just really doesn't seem consistent with his personality traits that we know of so far.

alot of board members have posted links to how murderers will often involve themselves into the investigation which leads me back to the interview. The reporter/s and I cant remember their exact quotes said he seemed to be 'hanging around out by himself that morning' so they assumed he lived there or knew her, which he did........now myself being a believer that he did this has to wonder why was he out there, esp being the reporters said none of the other residents wanted to speak to them. I'm mostly assuming he knew he had just got rid of her torso and saw alot of heat in the area. He wanted to keep his eye on LE and that torso, hoping they would not decide to look thru there. They said he was on the side of the street of the law school which would put him in a perfect place to watch where the torso was hidden and watch the reporters/onlookers and LE. In hindsight he could have had the same view from the comfort of his balcony and chair.

-also in the interview it seemed he wanted to continue to toss out to idea to the public that he(they) believed she was 'snatched while running'. If I remember correctly he touched on this 3 times during that 10 minute interview in some fashion.

-Him mentioning he "thought" she had a boyfriend in Atlanta came off as fishy also b/c it just seems like as much time as they spent in each others presence esp being neighbors he would have known for a certain they she did have a boyfriend....He later spoke on the email that she sent someone up in Atlanta....If what I have read is correct, wasn't that email sent to her boyfriend?, if so this would be another example of him being sketchy by knowing the contents of the email but not knowing exactly who it was sent to, while he admitted he thought she had a boyfriend in Atlanta where he knows the person who received the email lives..

-he also said of friend of Lauren's had a key which we know was hidden in a vase outside. If Lauren's friend knew of this key I am almost positive her neighbor probably did as well

Good thoughts on the replacement blades, SO. Assuming he did replace the blades, and it makes sense that he would, each blade is a potential source of DNA. So where are they? The Telegraph reported that a LEO said traces of LG's DNA were found on the hacksaw, but no mention is made of which part of the hacksaw. So now thinking about replacement blades, and I admit I haven't given it much thought before now, one would think the blade would've been replaced with a new, uncontaminated blade before it was put in the storage closet, and the rest of the tool washed to remove DNA from the stationary parts.

That still leaves the question of why the hacksaw was placed in the storage room in the first place. A couple of possibilities come to mind. It really wasn't his hacksaw, and he replaced it so it wouldn't be missed which would raise questions, or it was an attempt to point suspicion to the maintenance person(s) who had access to the storage room. Keep in mind this was done before LG was reported missing, and he had no idea how soon her murder would be discovered which might have been never had the garbage men had been just a couple of hours ahead of schedule.

As for the commitment hearing, I anticipate we will learn some new evidence. The attorneys will question and cross examine witnesses, so some new information is bound to come to light. Also, as I mentioned earlier, new evidence will be presented if the charge is changed to malice murder.

ETA: It doesn't matter one way or the other, but I noticed the photo you posted in Thread #6 is not the same as the model sold at Macon WalMarts.

Good thoughts on the replacement blades, SO. Assuming he did replace the blades, and it makes sense that he would, each blade is a potential source of DNA. So where are they? The Telegraph reported that a LEO said traces of LG's DNA were found on the hacksaw, but no mention is made of which part of the hacksaw. So now thinking about replacement blades, and I admit I haven't given it much thought before now, one would think the blade would've been replaced with a new, uncontaminated blade before it was put in the storage closet, and the rest of the tool washed to remove DNA from the stationary parts.

That still leaves the question of why the hacksaw was placed in the storage room in the first place. A couple of possibilities come to mind. It really wasn't his hacksaw, and he replaced it so it wouldn't be missed which would raise questions, or it was an attempt to point suspicion to the maintenance person(s) who had access to the storage room. Keep in mind this was done before LG was reported missing, and he had no idea how soon her murder would be discovered which might have been never had the garbage men had been just a couple of hours ahead of schedule.

As for the commitment hearing, I anticipate we will learn some new evidence. The attorneys will question and cross examine witnesses, so some new information is bound to come to light. Also, as I mentioned earlier, new evidence will be presented if the charge is changed to malice murder.

about what I bolded: the arrest warrant says on the blade

I'm quite familiar with using hacksaws, and I can't see any reason why he would have to change the blade.
They're pretty durable and don't dull like a razor blade does.
He probably made, say 5 cuts, 7 at the most?
You could do that many, many times over before needed to change blades.

Not saying these are the answers, but they are possible considerations. You have to think about it, because a jury will. It could cause reasonable doubt.

~snipped

It wasn't the same night, so if he were focused on that one night, it may have taken him a few minutes. Not all that unusual. Especially, if he told it the next day as reported.

He stated his saw was twisted. Despite what people are reporting that Stanley saw says, saws do get twisted and warped. Even more so if someone has no clue how to use one. It isn't impossible for this to be true. And since it is a common saw (the only one sold by area Walmarts), it would not be unusual for two people to have the same one.

They do not know the packaging matches that one saw at this point. And we do not know how it was in his home. Was it displayed as a trophy or hidden in a secret hiding spot, or was it under a Starship Trooper model to keep glue and paint from dripping, or under a table leg to keep it from wobbling.

What is unusual about that? It was reported the friends, including McD, had been taken to the station and spent several hours with the detective. He might know the car and the name because he had been with him all morning, and probably even rode in that car.

We do not know how this happened. Was it a prank, or a dare? Some kind of scavenger hunt? Or was it something he thought he might need and he didn't have time to go to a store? Or is he secretly gay and wanted to have something connected to these guys (strange, but still possible)? Or does he like to take small things from random people (again, strange, but a big leap from dismembering the neighbor)?

I'm sure someone will have a cow (MOO!) over me posting this, but I tend to look at all options. I have to consider what could be the other possibility for these things. Not that they are the correct option, but an option to be considered, just the same.

I'm quite familiar with using hacksaws, and I can't see any reason why he would have to change the blade.
They're pretty durable and don't dull like a razor blade does.
He probably made, say 5 cuts, 7 at the most?
You could do that many, many times over before needed to change blades.
I won't argue with you on that point as I only use hacksaws for small household jobs, and then not that often. I did notice that the Walmart sells the saw as model no. 1182189 which is not a Stanley Black and Decker model no. The saw on WM's site appears to be Stanley B&D model 15-170 or 15-265. The other day I mentioned that large retailers sometimes use their own SKU numbers and model numbers, which seems to be the case here. That number would appear on the packaging. I also pointed out that manufacturers sometimes sell a variation of a product to large retailers. Comparing the hacksaw on the WM site that appears almost identical to the model numbers 15-265 and 15-170 on the Stanley site, there is a slight difference. We can't be sure just by looking at a couple of photos -- and if it weren't raining so hard I run out and see for myself -- but if the difference is standard across the board, it would determine if the saw used in the crime was purchased at WM.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Black-Decker-Rubber-Grip-Hacksaw/16913703#Item+Description

http://www.stanleytools.com/default...MBER=15-265&SDesc=10&#34;+Rubber+Grip+Hacksaw

Two Points:

1. Have all the clothes that Lauren was last known to be wearing, ever been found?

2. I have been really wondering about the rest of poor Lauren. It seems likely that SM put the rest of her remains in some other garbage bins. But, on the other hand, let's say he did not.

If he was really playing a game, would there be some sort of ironic disposal location he might choose to place her? Is there a location that he might frequent, that is remote, that he could re-visit, to "be with her", as others have alluded?

I always wondered if he was framing DD if maybe he took her to the camp site...you know where she was supposed to go caming with the dudes that lived on Orange St...or wherever.

Please try to make it to the commitment hearing , it would be great to get a WS POV !

Given the extreme interest in this case, is there a chance the commitment hearing will be, in effect, closed to the public? If so, will media reps still be able to attend? Anybody know?

Not saying these are the answers, but they are possible considerations. You have to think about it, because a jury will. It could cause reasonable doubt.

It wasn't the same night, so if he were focused on that one night, it may have taken him a few minutes. Not all that unusual. Especially, if he told it the next day as reported.

He stated his saw was twisted. Despite what people are reporting that Stanley saw says, saws do get twisted and warped. Even more so if someone has no clue how to use one. It isn't impossible for this to be true. And since it is a common saw (the only one sold by area Walmarts), it would not be unusual for two people to have the same one.

They do not know the packaging matches that one saw at this point. And we do not know how it was in his home. Was it displayed as a trophy or hidden in a secret hiding spot, or was it under a Starship Trooper model to keep glue and paint from dripping, or under a table leg to keep it from wobbling.

What is unusual about that? It was reported the friends, including McD, had been taken to the station and spent several hours with the detective. He might know the car and the name because he had been with him all morning, and probably even rode in that car.

We do not know how this happened. Was it a prank, or a dare? Some kind of scavenger hunt? Or was it something he thought he might need and he didn't have time to go to a store? Or is he secretly gay and wanted to have something connected to these guys (strange, but still possible)? Or does he like to take small things from random people (again, strange, but a big leap from dismembering the neighbor)?

I'm sure someone will have a cow (MOO!) over me posting this, but I tend to look at all options. I have to consider what could be the other possibility for these things. Not that they are the correct option, but an option to be considered, just the same.

In agreement that these possibilities do have to be considered.

Also, going a bit further with something I've said before: If SM did encounter the MM or anyone else on the balcony on Thursday night, maybe what woke him up was an audible alarm on LG's door jam. Some models are purely mechanical, some have an alarm as well. I'm a very sound sleeper, as a rule, probably would sleep through someone mowing grass at midnight, but-- there are certain sounds that will wake me quickly. Shrill, electronic noises are one of them (unless it's an alarm clock that I've grown immune to).

LG could have woke up and shut off the alarm before SM was able to identify what the source of the "loud noise" was. Other person on the balcony could have ducked out of sight while LG checked out door or window or whatever, would-be intruder could have just been about to exit when SM stumbled sleepily to the door.

Of course, I don't know whether LG's door brace had the alarm feature or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheyenne1060