*graphic and adult content* Jodi Arias Trial media/ timeline thread **no discussion**

Day 20 Wed Feb 20, 2013
DCIC day 11
Jodi Arias eighth day on the stand

17qx5d.png

Nurmi back up questioning JA . . . .

yesterday when you left us describing taking a photoshoot of TA in his bathroom . . . why was shower selected for these pics?
It was for the water - we were going for a certain look with the water

where was your luggage and your personal items for this photo shoot
I think my camera had been put away - I didn't really even bring it out for this part.

when you were in the bathroom did you have a gun with you - holding onto a knife?
no

pictures in the shower - what happened once he gets in shower
I am taking pics of him - we were trying out different poses . . we were . . . . background wasn't that great . . . taking photos going thru them and deleting them

at one point he was sitting . . few feet away so water didn't get on camera - at one point when I went to delete photos - the camera slipped out of my hand . . . I caught it like a football - it bounced and landed on the mat - I was crouching by the shower I was on the mat or the edge of the mat

what happens when you dropped the camera
at that point - TA flipped out . . . he stood up . . .screamed I was a stupid idiot - he body slammed me on the tile - he told me a 5 y/o could hold the camera better than I can . . .when he screamed @ me there was spit coming out or could have been water . . I ran dowdn the hallway . . . . I went into the closet - last time I ran dodwn the hall he caught me last summer

there was an incident when he was really upset . . . whole incident (big drink water)

previous summer in 2007 - I got hired @ PF Changs . . . they needed my social security card . . . I assumed it was in boxes in TA's garage - I been looking for it . . . I called TA to ask to look for it - he said sure - it was a free phone call @ 11 at night. . . the door was locked to the garage . . .went around to sliding glass door . . he had installed doggie door - I

blue light 2 people making out - she stood up = rehooked her bra - he stood up and wiped his mouth - it was TA

I left and didn't look for SS card . . . called Dad next day

Then talked to TA and told him it was ok if he told me he was dating someone else. . . .

were you in the area of laundry room when this happened. . . he got upset hit the wall door frame with his palm . . . I jumped off the washing machine to see what noise banging over and over - he is banging his head repeatedly on the linen closet . . .

he was mumbling under his breath - he was saying. . .
I finally said his name to get his attention - he screamed What . . . looked @ me like a mad man
I ran down the hall - he caught my wrists and pulled me around - he explained it was just a girl he met in Phoenix and they would not be seeing each other again

Exhibit #160
was that a picture you intentionally took?
no it wasn't intentional (I dropped it?)
#161 - was this picture you intentionally took
I didn't take that

showing exhibit #159 - is that the last picture you intentionally took of TA (when he looked @ camera)
I took it intentionally - I don't know what order they went in
when he slmmed you donw onto the ground after ddrop the camera how do you feel
I was scared - I was thinking crap - I was doing everything to avoid what happened downstairs . . . he is pissed again . . he is feraking out and I am freaking out . . . I ran down hallway and I could hear his footsteps he was chasing . . . .

what were you thinking he was going to do
who knows I could have died - he already tried to kill me - if he would have held on my neck a little longer I could have died . . . .

In the closet I remembered where he kept the gun on the top shelf - I climbed up and got it . . . he got in and I turned around and pointed it at him so he would stop chasing me

#170 - (meticulous closet)
grabbed gun from his closet - point to where the gun was
it is not shown in this picture but it would have been up here . . . .
she points to top left hand corner of the closet builtins

told us you knew the gun was there - I had known he had it . . I found it when I was cleaning - he used to give me projects to clean . . . . there is also a seat and I moved seat around to stand on it to get up there to clean

you grabbed gun and gone out thru closet
yes
#162 . . . look @ that picture how did we get to that point in time
I don't know how that picture was taken
what happened in between time you grabbed gun and what we see here - what happened
when I grabbed the gun - ran out of the closet he was chasing me I turned around in the middle of the bathroom - I pointed it at him with both hands . . . he came at me like a linebacker 0 the gun went off - I didn't mean to shoot him - I didn't know I shot him . . . it went off near the tile toward the wall near the scales . . . we were struggling and wrestling and he is a wrestler in high school - when he had done that before . . . I can't get out of those holds

he screamed @ me and said "I will f@cking kill you *****" . . . he call me names because I dropopedd his camera - called me a F'in idiot and saying a 5 y/o could hold camera better than me

I was crying and running and I pointed it at him . . . to get him to get idea to stop - he wouldn't stop . . .after the gun went off - I thought crap now he is really going to be pissed . . . I though I shot a hole in the wall - didn't know I shot him . he tried to kill me before

there is a lot of that day I don't remember - lot of gaps . . . don't remember pictures. . . now I see them I remember them . . . remember taking pictures but not the poses

he said kill you ***** - you were underneath him trying to get away
he said that right after I brok away from him . . remember almost nothing . . there are things that have come back over the years . . . there is a huge gap I don't know if I blacked out or what - huge gap . . . remember ddriving in the desert - little ictures come back in my mind

do you remember stabbing TA
I have no memory of stabbing him

do you remember exhibit #162 - dragging him across the floor?
no

I just remember trying to get away from him

exhibit #73 - do you remember placing him in the shower
shakes head no - no sorry that's no

(her voice is breaking a little)

you told us that after running away from him you don't have any clear memorites of what happened after that until hours later
a few memories - but . . .. not all clear

big memory of putting knife in the dishwasher - I put knife in dw before but Idon't know if it was that day

knife was where?
it was upstairs . . . . I don't think it had been touched by either of us since he used it to cut the rope

what else remember
I remember I was in bathroom I remember dropping the knife and it clanged to the tile - made a noise I remember screaming - don't remember anything after that - not immediately

where he was when you were screaming
I think he was next to me on the floor - don't know - I was in the bathroom

what else remember?
not much

not much mean nothing?
I remember more the feeling of that time - not pictures and things I can bring back

tell us about the feeling
it was like mortal terror - I pissed him off the worst I ever seen him pissed off . . . more than ever before - I thought ***** I really really pissed him off - he was angry and he wasn't going to stop - he wasnt' stopping

did you fear he was going to kill you
for sure - he was going to kill me yes - he almost did that before

why did you believe him when he said kill you *****
he never said that before - he had taken me almost to that point without that threat and now he was clearly making that threat

last memory sitting on bathroom floor screaming
I don't know if sitting just remember dropping it the knife . . . going thru my head . . .I couldn't believe what happened and I couldn't take any thing back that had happened I couldn't rewind the clock . . . .

did you realize all that had happened
just remember dropping the knife and screaming

in the bathroom dropped knife . . .what is next point in time you had memory
I remember driving I thought I was driving west - sun in my eyes for awhile - I didn't know where I was going - didn't have my gps . . .hit a lot of stoplights - eventually I was in the desert - don't know where I was at it got dark

that was first more or less clear memory after

did you have thoughts about what happened
yes

ja's mom is wiping tears

At that point in time pulling away and driving away - did you have the gun with you
I don't remember bringing the gun with me but I remember throwing it in the desert

what about the rope he tied you up . . did you take that with you
yes
what you did with that?
eventually it went into a dumpster
where
it was behind gas station I think somewhere after St George - it was getting light out where ever I was parked at that moment

do you remember . . . .. when you were driving was there blood on you?
yes - when I finally came to - I saw there was blood on my hands - didn't have my shoes - I was in middle of nowhere and I pulled over . . . I was really thirsty - had case of water from Costco in the trunk - washed my hands with water as well - got a pair of shoes

have water - clean blood off yourself . . did you stop and clean self before or after disposing of the weapons

I don't remember what happened to theknife - it wasn't in the car with me . . . .the gun was when I threw it out . .. the rope was another stop

full realization . . . I don't know how full it was but I knew it was really bad and my life was probably done now . . .
at this point in time did you believe TA was dead . . .
I believed that - bugt cuz I didn't have any clear memory

objection
restate question

explain to us if you believe if TA was alive or dead - did you believe he was alive
I didn't know but I didn't think he was at that point
was there a point you hoped he was
yes of course

I wish that it was just a nightmare I could wake up from - find out everything was still the same way

did you still love him
yeah I did

Still love him now
yeah it is a different love but still do

after clean self up - dispose of gun in the room
JA crying tears

I started looking around for the charger that I thought I left cuz Matt hadn't answered his phone . . I started cleaning out the car . . . I found it under the seat . . . no reception after I started driving one bar then two then none. . .

voice mails started coming thru . . . don't know if texts or not - a lot of time had elapsed - people wondering where I was . . . irresponsible of me to hang out with TA but that always happened other responsibities went to back burner

leslie expected me, ryan expected me, saw a sign Las Vegas 100 miles away - saw hoover dam - check point - let me stop . . . at hoover dam - realized in really deep trouble - what I could do to delay the inevitable . . .

phone was working then - why not just dial 911 and tell them what happened
I was scared - couldn't imagine calling 911 and telling them what I had just done - scared what would happen - scared a lot of things - my family, myself, what would happen . . . thinking of having to explain that. . . how the day ended up unfolding . . .really scared . . .scared going thru checkpoint they are going to pull me over and this is it

you were to be in Utah - Ryan and Leslie - you mentioned delaying the inevitable . . .
knew I messed up really badly . . . inevitable was not something I could run from

it was different this time it was heightened . . . .

sense of remorse
I wanted to rewind the clock and just . . . . so that had never had happened I was thinkin if I would not have dropped the camera there could have been other steps that could have happened if I ran left instead of right . .

regretted not taking alternative steps
objection -leading
sustained rephrase

were you angry @ self?
I was feeling a whole lot of emotions - mostly very scared - very upset . . . it's hard to explain because I just wanted to die

crying

did you contemplate killing yourself at that point in time
not in that very moment but I did thereafter

lets stay in that moment for now . . .delay inevitable - can't run from this - people waiting for you what did you decide to do?
umm . . .I knew my life was pretty much over but . . I didn't want anyone to know that had happened or that I did it so I started taking steps to cover up that I was there - did whole bunch of things to make it seem it was never there . . pulled over @ hoover dam - called ryan and leslie at that point . . leslie said we called ta because we know he still talks to you - so I thought ok they left a vm so I left a vm . . .told ryan and leslie I got lost . . .his vm I was trying to say that too . . I was trying to sound cheery . . . I hit # to delete it and try it again . . talking too fast in this one and crying and realized it took too long . . . hit 3 and erased message . . . . left a message - listened to that one . . .

done to make it seem you were not in TA's home
I thought it would throw the scent off for a little while so to speak
after you made calls to ryan, leslie and TA's voice mail - what do next
kept driving past vegas
where intending to go
I realized to keep up that pretense I needed to stick to schedule as much as possible - show up in Utah and make an appearance and go home.

whatever going on that day - it would have been a briefing . . .
overall intent going to Utah spend time with Ryan Burns?
whole reason for the trip and see places and photography

driving from vegas to Utah - did you contemplate what sort of behavior Burns was expecting out of you when you got there . . . I was contemplating whatever behavior anyone expected of me. . . tried to be normal self. . . happy go lucky self that I always tried to bes

how did you try to act in front of Leslie
just positive not emotional
what about Ryan . . .exchanged texts and budding relationship what would be normal with Mr. Burns?
didn't know - just hanging out and act like I just got lost - oh that is just Jodi so it's good

objection - overruled
just trying to act like myself . . . what expectations ryan might have based upon previous dialogue
he didn't expect sex or anything like that

contemplating what he would expect sexual intercourse?
not anything we discussed
physical contact of a sexual nature anything he was expecting
no - don't know what you mean by sexual nature
your understanding of him wanting to kiss
yes

did you feel he had expectation that this time together would be romantic
I don't know how romantic - I was going with idea we would hang out have fun and see if there was any spark or not

did you kiss Ryan in Utah?
eventually we kissed
cuddle
yes I went to sleep
why kiss & cuddle with Mr. Burns
showed up @ his house - given me directions there - hanging out watching a movie - on couch, bed, love sack in his room, scary movie - he was laying next to me not really touching . . I felt safe right there - I figured if I don't kiss him at all . .. I wanted things to seem like normal like I didn't justdo what I just did

that was a pretense you kept up for a day or so with Mr. Burns
not even that - gone to resteraunt and business briefing - it was Thursday night I had to work Friday - needed to get home - slept and set alarm for 2 or 3 hours and then went back home

drive arouind with mr. burns - remember testimony of officer gilletti . . . pulled you over for license plate upside down . . did you put it upside down?
no
any idea how that happened
Um I told Ryan that...
objecation - hearsay
approach

missed a little bit . . .she didn't have a tool to fix the license plate

slept a few hours @ Mr. Burns house before leaving for Yreka . . .did you kiss him before you left. . .
we fell asleep on the lovesac - phone woke us up . . . we were not making out like he said .

after leave his house still in rental car
yes I was
this would have been day or day and half you returned to Yreka
I was driving back to Yreka for my shift @ 4:00 - I was expected there it is a small restaurant there was nobody else

I just wanted to go back home, I just wanted everything to go back, I just wanted to die
did you contemplate killing yourself on way back to Yreka?
objection - sidebar

I wasn't formulating plans to commit suicide on my return trip - I wasn't thinking of it I just wanted to die

di you have injuries
I had scrapes all over my ankles . .. I had cut myself on June 4 in the kitchen before we went to bed I was getting water in the kitchen dropped one of his glasses and broke it - I cut myself with the glass . . .I had that injury . . . when I pulled over and was cleaning my hands I was bleeding - it reopened . . .

when you were in Utah did you formulate an excuse for this injury
I think I said I cut myself - the week before I cut myself really badly @ work . . . I hink I said I am a bartender and said I cut myself . . . that date was june 1 It was on my phone

on time for your shift
I think I waslate but I made it there
work rest of your shift
yes

had you seen any of your family members yet
probably my grandparents - I went home I think and changed into work clothes real fast

when got home what did you tell your family
I didn't tell them anything

just tried to live as normal
basially I tried to act like nothing happened and waited for the clock to tick down

clock to your arrest
yes that clock

you said you got back in early june back to Yreka and you were arrested in july - did you ever contemplate or attempt suicide during that period of time
yes . . . not attempt to but I took step to - I bought a gun . . Don's sporting goods on minor street in Yreka . .

didyou get a license in Calif
yea - Calif requires a 10 day background check an then registered

apart from buying the gun did you take other steps - killing yourself
yes I began to prepare for things I didn't want to come out about tA or things that I was participating with him - so I got rid of the clothes and the underwear I got rid of that
spiderman underwear?
yes

what else did you do
mean to get ready to commit suicide? um I was gonna leave the area . . . on the fence about killing myself . . . had to move away . . . . I was preparing tomove . . . didn't want to be in Yreka. . . easier for my family not right in their back yard so to speak

apart from buying the gun . . . you had several phone conversations with Det. Flores when you lived in Yreka
yes
those came to pass after you learned from other parties of TA death - correct
objection - leading

when did you make those phone calls
I think I tried to call on June 10th - left a voice mail -think Leslie encouraged me to call him

when were you informed TA was dead?
Dan called me the night before
Dan called me and told me . . . . Dan Freeman . . . he didn't tell me that he had died

he told you TA died?
he did not
what did he tell you
objection hearsay

excited utterance.

noon recess until 1:25

stand for the jury

January 20, 2013

Defence CIC direct examination

Jodi Arias-Day 8

Morning testimony

--Willmott asks to approach the bench.
--Afterwards Martinez is seen going over and speaking to Travis' family.

Direct examination begins

--Going back to when then ended yesterday's testimony.
--Jodi was getting ready to depart from TA's house. Prior to departing they decided to engage in a photo shoot.
<live feed goes down>
--Jodi thinks most of her stuff is in the car.
--Says she did not have a gun with her in the bathroom and was not holding onto a knife.
--Travis gets in the shower, she is taking pictures of him, they are trying out different poses, they were kind of laughing. It was a little weird because the bac
--At one point he was sitting, she was taking pictures, she was probably a few feet from the shower so that the water didn't get on the camera.
--She was showing him the photos and they were deleting some.
--As she moved the camera it fell out of her hand, she tried to catch it, it rolled into the tile. Says she was crouched by the shower at this time.
--Shge may have been on the mat or on the edge of the mat.
--TA lifted her up, yelling that she was a stupid idiot, and body slammed her on the tile.
--Told her that a five year old could hold a camera better than she can...down the hallway...
--Doesn't know why she didn't run down the hallway, the last time she ran he caught her so this time she ran into the closet.
--The last time was in the summer, there was an incident where he was really upset, she was looking for her purse, couldn't find it, she wanted to come over to his place and look for her purse, he sounded sleepy, she came over, the door was locked which was unusual because it is almost always open, she walks to the back of the house where there is a sliding glass door, she notices two people making out on the couch. She stops because she thought it was awkward. Assumed it was one of his roommates. Wasn't sure how to handle it. Thought she could walk in and just say sorry. The people were on the couch. She kind of ran. <live feed keeps cutting out>.
--She left and went home, it was too late to call, she decided to go over the next day, she went over the next day, he was in the laundry room stenciling stripes on the wall, she went in and sat on the washer (or dryer) and she asked him about him dating somebody else. He let out a frustrated scream and pounded the door frame. She was stunned as she had only seen his temper a few times at this point. She could hear some pounding noise. She went to his bedroom and saw TA pounding his head on the closet, he looked unstable and he muttered something under his breath.
--She finally said his name to get her attention and he screamed her name really loud and spun and looked at her like a madman. She ran, he ran after her, he grabbed her wrist and he explained the girl was a girl he met in Pheonix and that he probably wouldn't see her again.
--Exhibit 160, photo, says that she did not intentially take the photos. Exhibit 161, photo of the ceiling, did not intentionally take the photo.
--She was trying to avoid downstairs, he was freaking out, she rolled out to her left and ran down the hallway. Travis started to chase her. She was scared.
--She didn't want him to grab her again. Who knows what he would do as he had already almost killed her.
--Exhibit 70, Photo of Travis' closet, she says that she grabbed the gun from the closet, it was at the top of the shelf, not shown in that photo. Nurmi shows a different photo, Exhibit 69, JA points to it, up in the corner.
--She knew the gun was there. Knew it because she had found it one day, he would give her projects when she would clean, one day when cleaning she got onto the top shelf and found the gun.
--Nurmi shows her the dragging photo. She doesn't know how it was taken. In between the time she grabbed the gun she ran out of the closet, he was chasing her, they were in the middle of the bathroom. She thought it would stop her. It didn't. As he lunged at her she shot the gun. She didn't mean to shoot him, she didn't even know that she had shot him, he lunged and they both fell. At this point she didn't know he had been shot, they were struggling and wresting, he was a wrestler, he wrestled in high school.
--She is struggling to get away as she didn't want to get into on of his holds. He told her "I'll ****ing kill you *****".
--Getting back to when she dropped the camera she remembers him calling her a ****ing idiot and that a
--As he lunged at her she was crying and running and pointed the gun at her assuming he would get the idea to stop. He didn't stop.
--After the gun went off, she thought crap, now he is really going to be pissed, he was telling her he was going to kill her, and he had almost killed her before, there's a lot of that day she doesn't remember there are a lot of gaps, she doesn't remember the pictures but she does now.
--TA said "kill you *****" and he said that right after she broke away from him. She remembers almost nothing for a long time, there are some things that have come back over the years, it's confusing, there is a huge gap, doesn't know if she blacked out, the most clear memory is driving in the desert but there are certain little things that have come back in her mind since then.
--Has no memory of stabbing Travis.
--Exhibit 162, dragging photo, does not remember dragging him across the floor, just remembers trying to get away from him.
--Exhibit 73, Does not remember placing him in the shower.
--After running away from him she does not have any clear memory of what happened after that until hours later. She has a few memories but nothing is clear. Vague memory of putting the knife back in the dishwasher but she had put the knife in the dishwasher before. The knife was upstairs...she is assuming it because she doesn't remember...doesn't think it had been touched since he cut the rope.
--Also remembers she was in the bathroom and remembers dropping the knife and it made a noise, she remembers screaming and she doesn't remember anything after that.
--Remembers that she thinks TA was next to her on the floor, she doesn't know, she was in the bathroom.
--Nurmi asks what else does she remember? JA says "not much".
--Her last memory is being in the bathroom screaming, dropping the knife, she remembers what was going through her head. She couldn't take anything back, what had just happened, she couldn't rewind the clock.
--Nurmi asks if she realized all that happened, she just remembers dropping the knife and being very freaked out and screaming.
--After remembering that feeling and dropping the knife, the next memory is driving west, the sun was in her eyes for a while, she didn't know where she was going, she didn't have her GPS, hit a lot of stop lights and eventually was in the desert, don't know where, it got dark.
--Driving is the more or less clear memory after.
--Had thoughts about what happened.
--At the point in time where she was pulling away, driving away, she doesn't remember having the gun with her but she remembers throwing it in the desert.
--The rope that TA used to tie her, she took it with her, it went into the dumpster, behind a gas station, thinks it was somewhere after St. George.
--When she was driving...Nurmi asks if there was blood on her, she says yes, when she finally came to she didn't have her shoes and there was blood on her hands. She was in the middle of nowhere, she pulled over, she was really thirsty, she had a case of water from Costco in the trunk, she rinsed her hands off and she had a pair of business shoes so she got those.
--She used the water to clean the blood off of herself. She cleaned herself..she doesn't remember what happened to the knife as it wasn't in the car with her, she got rid of the gun and got rid of the rope after that.
--She doesn't know how full her realization was but she knew it was really and that her life was probably done now.
--Nurmi asks if she believed that Travis was alive or dead. She didn't know but she believed that he was dead but there was a part of her that hoped he was alive. She was hoping it was a nightmare that she would wake up from and everything was stil the same way.
--Says she still loved him.
--Says she still loves him now but it is a different love.
--After she cleans herself up and disposes of the gun she starts looking around for the charger that she thought she left and she started cleaning the car and the charger was under the passenger seat. Turned on her phone. She had no cell reception. As she got service she had missed calls and text messages.
--A lot of time had elapsed and people were probably wondering where she was. Travis was her priorty and other people such as Ryan were expecting her. She wasn't sure what to tell them. Gets to a sign that says Vegas is 100 miles away. Gets to the Hoover Dam checkpoint, she stops and pulls over and at that point she realizes she is in really deep trouble. She starts thinking about what she could do to delay the enevitable.
--Nurmi asks why did didn't call 911. She was scared and couldn't imagine calling 911 and telling what she had just done.
--She was scared of what would happen to her. She was thinking of what would happen, her family, herself, was thinking of having to explain it, how the day ended up, unfolding, she was just really scared, she was scared going through the checkpoint, she was scared she was going to get pulled over.
--People in Utah were expecting her, Ryan and Leslie, she knew she had messed up pretty badly and the enivitable was something she couldn't run from.
--Nurmi asks why she felt like she had messed up badly, he attacked her, but she didn't look at it like that, he had attacked her in the past and nothing happened, this time is was different.
--Nurmi asks if she felt a sense of remorse. She says she wanted to rewind the clock.
--She says she regrets taking alternative steps, (Nurm's wording), says she had a lot of emotions and mostly she was very scared and upset. She just wanted to die.
--Nurmi asks if she thought about killing herself, not at that moment but after.
--People are waiting for her, she knew that her life was pretty much over, but she didn't want anyone to know it happened or that she did it.
--She took steps to coverup that she was there. She did a bunch of things to make it seem like she wasn't there.
--Remembers when she pulled over at the Hoover Dam she called Ryan and Leslie, Leslie said that they called Travis to see if he knew where she was, Leslie said that she left TA a voicemail.
--JA called TA's phone to leave a voicemail, she was crying and tried to make it sound cheery, left a message, deleted it, then left another one, didn't sound right, tried again, was crying, recorded a message and listened to it and thought it was good enough.
--She figured that eventually his voicemails were going to be listened to and she thought ????
--After calling Ryan, Leslie, and leaving Travis a voicemail she kept driving, she realized in order to keep up the pretense she had to keep with the schedule. She knew she had to show up in Utah for the business briefing.
--The overall intent of going to Utah was to get to know Ryan as well as see places on the list and her photography.
--When she was driving from Vegas to Utah, Nurmi asks if she contemplated what kind of behavior he would expect out of her, she thought that she should be her own happy-to-go-lucky self that she always was.
--She tried to act positive, not emotional with Leslie and tried to act normal with Ryan. She acted like she just got lost, and she is kind of dinney anyway. Ryan didn't expect sex, Martinez objects, objection sustained. JA says sex is not anything they discussed. Nurmi asks if physical contact of a sexual nature would be something Ryan would expect. Martinez objects, overruled. Ryan would be expecting them to kiss.
--Did Ryan have the expectation that this time together would be romantic. She doesn;t know how romantic says she was going with hanging out and seeing if there was any spark.
--When she was in Utah, says she eventually kissed, cuddled with him and she went to sleep. She kissed and cuddled with Ryan, she had showed up at his house, hanging out watching a movie, was laying on a couch or a bed, watching some scary movie, and he was laying next to her, and she felt safe right there and figured if she didn't kiss him at all, she didn't know but wanted things to seem normal, like they were okay and she didn't do what she just did.
--Had followed Ryan to the business briefing, it was Thursday night, had to work Friday, just needed to get home, went to his house, set the alarm and slept them got up and went on her way home.
--re: Officer Goletti (spelling?) had pulled her over for her plate being upside down, says she did not put it upside down, she says she had told Ryan....Martinez objects, hearsay, Judge asks lawyers to approach the bench.
<Travis' family is shown during the break in testimony, Harold has his arm around Tanisha. JA's family is then shown, the aunt is smiling>
--Before officer Goletti pulled her over, she says that she didn't know her plate was upside down and doesn't know how it happened. Either it was that when when she rented it, or some skaters that were in the Starbucks parking lot may have done it, when she was in the parking lot she noticed that there was a plate in the lot so she picked it up, it was the front plate, she never checked her rear plate so she didn't know it was upside down.
--She did not have the tools necessary to correct the plate, she was going to ask the owner of the restaurant for a screwdriver but she guesses Ryan did it for her.
--After sleeping at Ryan's she kissed Ryan goodbye, they had fallen asleep on the lovesack and woke up when her phone alarm went off. Says they weren't making out like Ryan said.
--After she leaves Ryan's place she starts driving home to Yreka. This would have been early Friday morning. Was expected at work at 4 p.m.
--Nurmi asks her what was the plan? What were you going to say? She says she didn't have a plan but just wanted to act as normal as she could. Didn't know what to think...she just wanted to die.
--Nurmi asks if she contemplates killing herself and Martinez objects, relevance, judge asks them to approach the bench.
--Did not comtemplate suicide on her way back home, she wasn't thinking of it, she just wanted to die.
--When she went to Utah and when she was going to go home to Yreka, she had injuries, scrapes and things all over her ankles, says she cut herself downstairs before her and Travis went to bed, was getting water from the kitchen and dropped a glass and cut herself, had tht injury but it was unrelated, said when she pulled over in the car the cut had reopened, it was bleeding a little bit.
--When in Utah she thinks she said she cut herself, says the week before she cut herself at work badly, it was on June 1st.
--Gets back home to Yreka, gets there on time, or if she was late it wasn't very late, worked the rest of her shift.
--Probably saw her grandparents, had gone home and changed into her work clothes real fast and drove to the restaurant.
--When she got home she didn't tell her family anything.
--She tried to act like nothing happened and waited for the clock to tick down...to her arrest.
--Got back to Yreka in early June and was arrested in July. Nurmi asks if she ever contemplated suicide. She says yes, she took steps...she bought a gun...bought a gun from Don's Sporting Goods in Yreka. California requires a 10 day background check and for the gun to be registered.
--Apart from buying the gun she also began to prepare for...there were things that she didn't want to some out, so she got rid of the clothes, the boys underwear...she got rid of that. She got rid of the Spiderman underwear.
--She was going to leave the area, she was on the fence about suicide, she decided to move back to Monteray, so regardless of whatever came first, the suicide or the arrest, she wouldn't be in Yreka, it would be easier for her family if it wasn't right in their back yard.
--Apart from buying the gun, she had several phone conversations with Detective Flores. Those came to pass after she learned from other parties that Travis was dead. Martinez objects...leading.
--Jodi thinks she tried to call Flores on June 10th. Leslie encouraged her to call him.
--Jodi says was informed that Travis was dead when Daniel Freeman called her the night before. Says that Daniel didn't tell her that Travis had died.

LUNCH RECESS

January 20, 2013

Defence CIC direct examination

Jodi Arias-Day 8

Morning testimony

--Willmott asks to approach the bench.
--Afterwards Martinez is seen going over and speaking to Travis' family.

Direct examination begins

--Going back to when then ended yesterday's testimony.
--Jodi was getting ready to depart from TA's house. Prior to departing they decided to engage in a photo shoot.
<live feed goes down>
--Jodi thinks most of her stuff is in the car.
--Says she did not have a gun with her in the bathroom and was not holding onto a knife.
--Travis gets in the shower, she is taking pictures of him, they are trying out different poses, they were kind of laughing. It was a little weird because the bac
--At one point he was sitting, she was taking pictures, she was probably a few feet from the shower so that the water didn't get on the camera.
--She was showing him the photos and they were deleting some.
--As she moved the camera it fell out of her hand, she tried to catch it, it rolled into the tile. Says she was crouched by the shower at this time.
--Shge may have been on the mat or on the edge of the mat.
--TA lifted her up, yelling that she was a stupid idiot, and body slammed her on the tile.
--Told her that a five year old could hold a camera better than she can...down the hallway...
--Doesn't know why she didn't run down the hallway, the last time she ran he caught her so this time she ran into the closet.
--The last time was in the summer, there was an incident where he was really upset, she was looking for her purse, couldn't find it, she wanted to come over to his place and look for her purse, he sounded sleepy, she came over, the door was locked which was unusual because it is almost always open, she walks to the back of the house where there is a sliding glass door, she notices two people making out on the couch. She stops because she thought it was awkward. Assumed it was one of his roommates. Wasn't sure how to handle it. Thought she could walk in and just say sorry. The people were on the couch. She kind of ran. <live feed keeps cutting out>.
--She left and went home, it was too late to call, she decided to go over the next day, she went over the next day, he was in the laundry room stenciling stripes on the wall, she went in and sat on the washer (or dryer) and she asked him about him dating somebody else. He let out a frustrated scream and pounded the door frame. She was stunned as she had only seen his temper a few times at this point. She could hear some pounding noise. She went to his bedroom and saw TA pounding his head on the closet, he looked unstable and he muttered something under his breath.
--She finally said his name to get her attention and he screamed her name really loud and spun and looked at her like a madman. She ran, he ran after her, he grabbed her wrist and he explained the girl was a girl he met in Pheonix and that he probably wouldn't see her again.
--Exhibit 160, photo, says that she did not intentially take the photos. Exhibit 161, photo of the ceiling, did not intentionally take the photo.
--She was trying to avoid downstairs, he was freaking out, she rolled out to her left and ran down the hallway. Travis started to chase her. She was scared.
--She didn't want him to grab her again. Who knows what he would do as he had already almost killed her.
--Exhibit 70, Photo of Travis' closet, she says that she grabbed the gun from the closet, it was at the top of the shelf, not shown in that photo. Nurmi shows a different photo, Exhibit 69, JA points to it, up in the corner.
--She knew the gun was there. Knew it because she had found it one day, he would give her projects when she would clean, one day when cleaning she got onto the top shelf and found the gun.
--Nurmi shows her the dragging photo. She doesn't know how it was taken. In between the time she grabbed the gun she ran out of the closet, he was chasing her, they were in the middle of the bathroom. She thought it would stop her. It didn't. As he lunged at her she shot the gun. She didn't mean to shoot him, she didn't even know that she had shot him, he lunged and they both fell. At this point she didn't know he had been shot, they were struggling and wresting, he was a wrestler, he wrestled in high school.
--She is struggling to get away as she didn't want to get into on of his holds. He told her "I'll ****ing kill you *****".
--Getting back to when she dropped the camera she remembers him calling her a ****ing idiot and that a
--As he lunged at her she was crying and running and pointed the gun at her assuming he would get the idea to stop. He didn't stop.
--After the gun went off, she thought crap, now he is really going to be pissed, he was telling her he was going to kill her, and he had almost killed her before, there's a lot of that day she doesn't remember there are a lot of gaps, she doesn't remember the pictures but she does now.
--TA said "kill you *****" and he said that right after she broke away from him. She remembers almost nothing for a long time, there are some things that have come back over the years, it's confusing, there is a huge gap, doesn't know if she blacked out, the most clear memory is driving in the desert but there are certain little things that have come back in her mind since then.
--Has no memory of stabbing Travis.
--Exhibit 162, dragging photo, does not remember dragging him across the floor, just remembers trying to get away from him.
--Exhibit 73, Does not remember placing him in the shower.
--After running away from him she does not have any clear memory of what happened after that until hours later. She has a few memories but nothing is clear. Vague memory of putting the knife back in the dishwasher but she had put the knife in the dishwasher before. The knife was upstairs...she is assuming it because she doesn't remember...doesn't think it had been touched since he cut the rope.
--Also remembers she was in the bathroom and remembers dropping the knife and it made a noise, she remembers screaming and she doesn't remember anything after that.
--Remembers that she thinks TA was next to her on the floor, she doesn't know, she was in the bathroom.
--Nurmi asks what else does she remember? JA says "not much".
--Her last memory is being in the bathroom screaming, dropping the knife, she remembers what was going through her head. She couldn't take anything back, what had just happened, she couldn't rewind the clock.
--Nurmi asks if she realized all that happened, she just remembers dropping the knife and being very freaked out and screaming.
--After remembering that feeling and dropping the knife, the next memory is driving west, the sun was in her eyes for a while, she didn't know where she was going, she didn't have her GPS, hit a lot of stop lights and eventually was in the desert, don't know where, it got dark.
--Driving is the more or less clear memory after.
--Had thoughts about what happened.
--At the point in time where she was pulling away, driving away, she doesn't remember having the gun with her but she remembers throwing it in the desert.
--The rope that TA used to tie her, she took it with her, it went into the dumpster, behind a gas station, thinks it was somewhere after St. George.
--When she was driving...Nurmi asks if there was blood on her, she says yes, when she finally came to she didn't have her shoes and there was blood on her hands. She was in the middle of nowhere, she pulled over, she was really thirsty, she had a case of water from Costco in the trunk, she rinsed her hands off and she had a pair of business shoes so she got those.
--She used the water to clean the blood off of herself. She cleaned herself..she doesn't remember what happened to the knife as it wasn't in the car with her, she got rid of the gun and got rid of the rope after that.
--She doesn't know how full her realization was but she knew it was really and that her life was probably done now.
--Nurmi asks if she believed that Travis was alive or dead. She didn't know but she believed that he was dead but there was a part of her that hoped he was alive. She was hoping it was a nightmare that she would wake up from and everything was stil the same way.
--Says she still loved him.
--Says she still loves him now but it is a different love.
--After she cleans herself up and disposes of the gun she starts looking around for the charger that she thought she left and she started cleaning the car and the charger was under the passenger seat. Turned on her phone. She had no cell reception. As she got service she had missed calls and text messages.
--A lot of time had elapsed and people were probably wondering where she was. Travis was her priorty and other people such as Ryan were expecting her. She wasn't sure what to tell them. Gets to a sign that says Vegas is 100 miles away. Gets to the Hoover Dam checkpoint, she stops and pulls over and at that point she realizes she is in really deep trouble. She starts thinking about what she could do to delay the enevitable.
--Nurmi asks why did didn't call 911. She was scared and couldn't imagine calling 911 and telling what she had just done.
--She was scared of what would happen to her. She was thinking of what would happen, her family, herself, was thinking of having to explain it, how the day ended up, unfolding, she was just really scared, she was scared going through the checkpoint, she was scared she was going to get pulled over.
--People in Utah were expecting her, Ryan and Leslie, she knew she had messed up pretty badly and the enivitable was something she couldn't run from.
--Nurmi asks why she felt like she had messed up badly, he attacked her, but she didn't look at it like that, he had attacked her in the past and nothing happened, this time is was different.
--Nurmi asks if she felt a sense of remorse. She says she wanted to rewind the clock.
--She says she regrets taking alternative steps, (Nurm's wording), says she had a lot of emotions and mostly she was very scared and upset. She just wanted to die.
--Nurmi asks if she thought about killing herself, not at that moment but after.
--People are waiting for her, she knew that her life was pretty much over, but she didn't want anyone to know it happened or that she did it.
--She took steps to coverup that she was there. She did a bunch of things to make it seem like she wasn't there.
--Remembers when she pulled over at the Hoover Dam she called Ryan and Leslie, Leslie said that they called Travis to see if he knew where she was, Leslie said that she left TA a voicemail.
--JA called TA's phone to leave a voicemail, she was crying and tried to make it sound cheery, left a message, deleted it, then left another one, didn't sound right, tried again, was crying, recorded a message and listened to it and thought it was good enough.
--She figured that eventually his voicemails were going to be listened to and she thought ????
--After calling Ryan, Leslie, and leaving Travis a voicemail she kept driving, she realized in order to keep up the pretense she had to keep with the schedule. She knew she had to show up in Utah for the business briefing.
--The overall intent of going to Utah was to get to know Ryan as well as see places on the list and her photography.
--When she was driving from Vegas to Utah, Nurmi asks if she contemplated what kind of behavior he would expect out of her, she thought that she should be her own happy-to-go-lucky self that she always was.
--She tried to act positive, not emotional with Leslie and tried to act normal with Ryan. She acted like she just got lost, and she is kind of dinney anyway. Ryan didn't expect sex, Martinez objects, objection sustained. JA says sex is not anything they discussed. Nurmi asks if physical contact of a sexual nature would be something Ryan would expect. Martinez objects, overruled. Ryan would be expecting them to kiss.
--Did Ryan have the expectation that this time together would be romantic. She doesn;t know how romantic says she was going with hanging out and seeing if there was any spark.
--When she was in Utah, says she eventually kissed, cuddled with him and she went to sleep. She kissed and cuddled with Ryan, she had showed up at his house, hanging out watching a movie, was laying on a couch or a bed, watching some scary movie, and he was laying next to her, and she felt safe right there and figured if she didn't kiss him at all, she didn't know but wanted things to seem normal, like they were okay and she didn't do what she just did.
--Had followed Ryan to the business briefing, it was Thursday night, had to work Friday, just needed to get home, went to his house, set the alarm and slept them got up and went on her way home.
--re: Officer Goletti (spelling?) had pulled her over for her plate being upside down, says she did not put it upside down, she says she had told Ryan....Martinez objects, hearsay, Judge asks lawyers to approach the bench.
<Travis' family is shown during the break in testimony, Harold has his arm around Tanisha. JA's family is then shown, the aunt is smiling>
--Before officer Goletti pulled her over, she says that she didn't know her plate was upside down and doesn't know how it happened. Either it was that when when she rented it, or some skaters that were in the Starbucks parking lot may have done it, when she was in the parking lot she noticed that there was a plate in the lot so she picked it up, it was the front plate, she never checked her rear plate so she didn't know it was upside down.
--She did not have the tools necessary to correct the plate, she was going to ask the owner of the restaurant for a screwdriver but she guesses Ryan did it for her.
--After sleeping at Ryan's she kissed Ryan goodbye, they had fallen asleep on the lovesack and woke up when her phone alarm went off. Says they weren't making out like Ryan said.
--After she leaves Ryan's place she starts driving home to Yreka. This would have been early Friday morning. Was expected at work at 4 p.m.
--Nurmi asks her what was the plan? What were you going to say? She says she didn't have a plan but just wanted to act as normal as she could. Didn't know what to think...she just wanted to die.
--Nurmi asks if she contemplates killing herself and Martinez objects, relevance, judge asks them to approach the bench.
--Did not comtemplate suicide on her way back home, she wasn't thinking of it, she just wanted to die.
--When she went to Utah and when she was going to go home to Yreka, she had injuries, scrapes and things all over her ankles, says she cut herself downstairs before her and Travis went to bed, was getting water from the kitchen and dropped a glass and cut herself, had tht injury but it was unrelated, said when she pulled over in the car the cut had reopened, it was bleeding a little bit.
--When in Utah she thinks she said she cut herself, says the week before she cut herself at work badly, it was on June 1st.
--Gets back home to Yreka, gets there on time, or if she was late it wasn't very late, worked the rest of her shift.
--Probably saw her grandparents, had gone home and changed into her work clothes real fast and drove to the restaurant.
--When she got home she didn't tell her family anything.
--She tried to act like nothing happened and waited for the clock to tick down...to her arrest.
--Got back to Yreka in early June and was arrested in July. Nurmi asks if she ever contemplated suicide. She says yes, she took steps...she bought a gun...bought a gun from Don's Sporting Goods in Yreka. California requires a 10 day background check and for the gun to be registered.
--Apart from buying the gun she also began to prepare for...there were things that she didn't want to some out, so she got rid of the clothes, the boys underwear...she got rid of that. She got rid of the Spiderman underwear.
--She was going to leave the area, she was on the fence about suicide, she decided to move back to Monteray, so regardless of whatever came first, the suicide or the arrest, she wouldn't be in Yreka, it would be easier for her family if it wasn't right in their back yard.
--Apart from buying the gun, she had several phone conversations with Detective Flores. Those came to pass after she learned from other parties that Travis was dead. Martinez objects...leading.
--Jodi thinks she tried to call Flores on June 10th. Leslie encouraged her to call him.
--Jodi says was informed that Travis was dead when Daniel Freeman called her the night before. Says that Daniel didn't tell her that Travis had died.

LUNCH RECESS

(I missed the beginning)

J: other wall, like kind of near the scales or whatever those things are. So at this point, I didn't even know if he'd been shot. I didn't see anything different. He was just, we were struggling and wrestling and he's a wrestler. He wrestled in high school and he was getting on top of me, and I didn't want him getting on top of me because when he'd done that in the past, I can't get out of those hold that he gets, so he's grabbing at my clothes and I got up and he's just screaming angry. And after I broke away from him he said ****ing kill you *****. And
N: Before he lunged at you was he yelling at you and threatening you?
J: Well he was chasing me and he was pissed off.
N: Do you remember him yelling or saying anything?
J: He was calling me names because I dropped him camera
N: Do you remember what those were
J: Um....a 5-year-old could hold a camera better than me.
N: Do you remember saying anything to him?
J: I don't think so, I was just crying and running and I pointed it at him assuming he would get the idea to stop. He just, he wouldn't stop.
N: What do you meant he would stop?
J: Well, after the gun went off I thought crap, cuz then I know he's gonna be pissed. I didn't know I'd shot him, I thought I'd shot a hole in the wall or something. So now he's telling me he's gonna kill me. After he'd said that, he'd almost killed me before and
N: And what?
J: There's a lot of that day I don't remember, there are a lot of gaps. I don't remember the poses of the pictures. I remember them now that I've seen the pictures, but I didn't remember them till I saw them. I remember taking pictures, I just don't remember the pictures themselves, even though I looked at them. And now that I've seen them, I remember them.
N: Well, let me ask you this getting back to that moment in time, not the poses, everything else, you told us that.(blanked out by HLN)...him trying to get away.
J: He said that right after I broke away from him
N: Okay once you broke away from him, what do you remember?
J: Almost nothing for a long time, there are some things that have come back over years. But nothing. I don't know if those are things that I'm thinking of or if it's that day. It's confusing. There is like a huge gap, I don't know if I blacked out or what, there's a huge gap and the most clear memory that I have after that point is driving in the desert. But there are certain little things that have come back, pictures in my mind that have come back since then.
N: well let me ask you this, do you remember stabbing Travis Alexander?
J: I have no memory of stabbing
N: Do you remember as we see here in exhibit 162 dragging him across the floor?
J: No, I just remember trying to get away from him.
N: I'm showing you exhibit 73, do you remember placing him in the shower?
J: shakes head...no, I'm sorry thats no
N: you told us that after running away from him you don't have any clear memories of what happened after that until hours later, right?
J: I have a few memories but nothing is clear.
N: Okay tell us about those memories.
J: I have a vague memory of putting the knife in the dishwasher. But I've put the knivfe in the dishwasher before, so I don't, I'm pretty sure it was that day.
N: Do you know where you got the knife from?
J: It was upstairs
N: Are you assuming that or do you remember that?
J:I'm assuming that and I don't think it was moved since he cut the rope
N: What's that?
J: I don't think it had been touched by either of us since he used it to cut the rope
N: What else do you remember from after the time that you crawled up from underneath him?
J: I remember I was in the bathroom, I remember dropping the knife and it clanged to the tile. It made a big noise and I just remember screaming. I don't remember anything after that. Not immediately.
N: Do you remember where he was when you were screaming?
J: I think he was next to me on the floor I don't know
N: Do you know where you were?
J: I was in the bathroom.
N: What else do you remember?
J: Not much
N: Not much being nothing?
J: It's not, I remember more the feeling of that time. Not pictures and things that I can bring back.
N: Tell us about the feeling
J: It was like mortal terror, it was like he, I pissed him off the worse I'd ever seen him pissed off and then I trid to stop him and then I piss him off even more and (blanked out on HLN)....he was angry at me and he wasn't gonna stop.
N: What do you mean by he wasn't gonna stop?
J: He wasn't gonna stop, he wasn't stopping
N: When you say he wasn't gonna stop, did you feel that he was going to kill you?
J: for sure, when he said kill you, yes, he'd almost killed me before and now he was saying he was going to
N: so when he said that to you, you believed him because of past incidencts
M: Objection, leading. Sustained rephrase
N: Did you believe him when he (blanked out)
J: Cause he'd never said that before and he'd taken me almost to that point without that threat and now he was clearly making that threat.
N: you told us yourlast memory in T's bathroom was sitting on the bathroom floor screaming.
J: I do'nt remember if I was sitting or what I just remember dropping it
N: Dropping the knife?
J: Yes.....I just remember what was going through my head. I couldn't believe what had happened, I couldn't take anything back that had happened. I couldn't rewind the clock.
N: Did you realize all that had happened
J: I don't know about all, but I just remember dropping the knife and being very freaked out and screaming.
N: After remembering that feeling and dropping the knife in the bathroom, and some of the other memories you've shared with us, what is the next point in time for which you have a memory?
J: For which I remembered? I remember driving west, because the sun was in my eyes for awhile. Ididn't know where I was going. I didn't have my GPS. I stopped at a lot of stoplights. Then I was in the desert. It got dark
N: So you don't remember even driving other than what you told us?
J: That was the clear memory
N: Did you have thoughts about what happened?
J: Yes
N: At that point in time when you were pulling away and driving away did you the gun with you?
J: I don't remember bringing the gun with me, but I remember throwing it.
N: Throwing it where?
J: In the desert
N: OK, what about the rope he had tied you up with? Did you take that with you?
N: Do you remember what you did with that?
J: Eventually it went into a dumpster?
N: Where?
J: It was behind a gas station, I think it was somewhere after St. George. I don't remember. It was getting light out wherever I was parked at that point.
N: Do you remember, let me ask you this: when you were driving, was there blood on you?
J: Yes, there was finally when I came to and saw there was blood on my hand and I didn't have my shoes, I didn't know where my shoes were. I was in the middle of nowhere so I pulled over. I got out of my car, I was really thristy. I had a case of water from Costco in the trunk. So I got some water, a water bottle and washed my hands off as well. I had business shoes from Prepaid thing so I got those out.
N; When you are doing this, you have the water, cleaning the blood off yourself. Did you stop and clean yourself off after you disposed of the weaons or before you disposed of the weapons or was it all one stop?
J: I don't remember where the knife was, I didn't have it with me. the gun was when I stopped and the rope was after that, another stop.
N; The full realization of what you'd done in the bathroom
J: I knew it was really bad and my life was probably done now.
N; at this point in time did you believe that Mr. Alexander was dead?
J: I believed that, cuz I didn't have any clear memory
Objection, not responsive to if he was alive or dead
N: Explain to us if you believed that Mr. Alexander was aliver or dead...let me just ask you this. Did you think that he was alive?
J: No, I thought he wasn't alive at that point
N: Was there a part that hoped he was alive?
J: Yes, of course
N: What do you mean of course?
J: I wish it was just a nightmare that I could wake up from. And everything was the same way.
N: Did you still love him?
J: Yeah, I did.
N: Do you still love him now?
J: Yeah, it's a different love, but yest I do.
N: Now after you have cleaned yourself up and you disposed of the gun and the rope, what do you do next?
J: I up started looking around for the charger that I thought I'd left because Matt hadn't answered his phone. I started cleaning the car and it was under the seat of the passenger side. I turned on the phone. There was no reception. Then as a started to drive there was one little bar then two then one then none. There were two voicemails, but the receptions wasn't strong enough to complete the call. I don't know if there were texts or not
N: Why were you interested in your voicemails at the time?
J; Well I realized that a lot of time had lapsed and other people were He was always the priority when we got together an dall my other responsiblities when to the back burner. Ryan was expecting me, Leslie was expecting me. I didn't know which way I was going at that point. I didn't know what I would say, I would tell them I was lost. I finally saw a sign that said Las Vegas. I came upon Hoover Dam and there was a checkpoint there. I stopped and they let me go through it. I stopped again and realized I was in really deep trouble. I thought about what I could do to delay the inevitable.
N: Why not just dial 911 and tell them what happened.
J: I was scared, I couldn't imagine calling 911 and telling them what I had done.

I was just really scared. I was scared at the checkpoint. I thought they would pull me over.
N: when you talked about people expecting you in Utah
J: I knew I'd messed up badly and uh the inevitable was gonna be next It wasn't something I could run from.
N: You said you messed up pretty badly, he attacked you, why did you feel you messed up pretty badly?
J: I mean, he attacked me, but I didn't look at it like that. He'd attacked me in the past and nothing had happened, nothing like this.
N: It was different this time, wasn't it
J: Yeah, it was different
N: Did you feel a sense of remorse
J: I wanted to
Even though he'd gotten really mad and threatened to kill me, maybe if I'd run left not right
N: So you regretted taking alternative steps?
M objection, leading
N:
J; I was feeling a lot of emotions. Mostly I was very scared. It's hard to explain. I just wanted to die.
N: Did you contemplate killing yourself at that time.
J: Not that very moment, but I did thereafter.
N: Okay well let's stay in that moment for now. Talk about delaying the inevitable and you can't run from this, people are waiting for you, what did you decide to do?
J: Um, I knew that my life was pretty much over, but I didn't want anyone to know that that had happened or that I did it. So I started taking steps in the aftermath of it to coverup that I was there. So I did a whole bunch of things to try to make it seem like a wasn't there.
N: Do you remember what those things were?
J: Yeah, when I pulled over at the Hoover Dam, and I called Ryan and Leslie and Leslie said that we called Travis cause we thought that he'd know where you were and she left a voicemail so I thought Oh, they are gonna find a voicemail, maybe I should leave a voicemail. His voicemail came up and I was gonna say that, but I started crying and it didn't sound right so I'd high pound and that one didn't sound right I would delete it again. Then that one didn't sound right, then I listened and that one sounded alright, so I hit that and had that message sent.
N: So this was your effort to act as if you weren't present in his home that night?
J: Yes, I thought his voicemail would eventually be listened to and I thought that would throw the scent off for a little bit
N: what do you don next?
J: Keep driving past Vegas.
N: where were you intending to go?
J: I realized that in order to keep up that pretense I had to keep part of the schedule that I was so I hat to show up in Utah and go home.
N: Was that for the business meeting we heard about earlier?
J: Yea whatever whas going on that day, it would have been a briefing.
N: The overall intent of going to Utah was to spend time and get to know Ryan Burns
J: Yes, and to see places for my photography.
N: When you were driving from the Vegas area to Utah, did you comtemplate what sort of behavior Mr. Burns was expecting out of you when you got there?
J: Yes, I was contemplating what behavior anyone would expect out of me and that would be my same happy-go-lucky self that I always try to be.
N: As it relates to, I'm gonna ask about a couple people we've seen in thise trial. How did you react toe Leslie?
J Just positive, not emotional
N: What about Ryan Burns, we'd heard about a budding romantic relationship, what did you feel like acting normal would mean with Mr. Bruns.
J: I didn't know, just hanging out and act like, oh I just got lost, and I'm kind of dingy anyway so everyone just says Oh that's just Jodi. So I don't remember what I was saying. I was just trying to act like myself.
N: What did that mean with Mr. Burns? Did you contemplate what based on your previous dialogue
J: He didn't expect sex or anything
M: Objection, speculation, sustained
N: In your expection, was sexual intercourse something he'd expected?
J: No, that's not what we discussed.
N: Any contact of a sexual nature?
J: No, what do you mean by sexual
N: Would he have expected you to kiss
M: Objection calls for speculation, overruled
N: Did he have the expectation that this time together would be romantic?
J: I don't know how romantic? I was just going with the idea that we would hang out, get to know each other, see if there was a spark or not.
N: When you were in Utah, did you kiss Mr. Burns?
J: Yes, we kissed
N: Did you cuddle with Mr. Burns?
J: Yes, I went to sleep/
N: Why
J: Why did I go to sleep?
N: No, why did you kiss and cuddle with Mr. Burns?
J: Well, we were on a I don't know if it was a couch or bed in his room and we were watching a movie and he was laying next to me, we weren't really touching but laying next to eath other and I felt safe right there. And I figured if I didn't kiss him at all, I don't know, I wanted to seem normal, like things were okay, like I didn't just do what I did.
N: And that was a pretense you kept up for about a day or so with Mr. Burns.
J: Yeah, I think. Not even that. I had gone to the restaurant earlier with him. I had followed him there. It was Thursday and I had to work, I don't know I just needed to get home. I slept for 2-3 hours and then left.
N: You recall hearing the testimony of Officer G?
N: He pulled you over for having your liscense plate upside down
J: Yes, I remember that
N: Did you put your liscense plate upside down?
J: No
N: Do you know how that could have happened?
J: I had told Ryan that
M: Objection, speculation. Approach.
N: Did you have any reason to know when your liscence plate was turned upside down.
J: I figured either I rented it like that or when the skaters in Pasedena were snickering as the went by the car and the liscence plate was removed
N: Let's clarify here, was it on the front of the car of the back of the car?
J: the front
N; so your rental car had two liscence plates?

N: Before you got on the road to Yreka, did you kiss him in the morning before you left as well?
J: Yeah, I kissed him goodbye, we had fallen asleep on the love..., and we woke up to my phone and yeah, we kissed. We weren't making out, not like he said,
N: Okay, so after you leave Mr. Burns house, you are still in your rental car, correct? Were you driving your rental car back to Yreka?
J: Iwas driving back early Friday morning, hoping to make it in time for my shift at 9:00
N: You were expected there?
J: I was expected there, it was a small restaurant there was nobody else that was gonna be there.
N: What was the plan, what were you going to say?
J: When?
N: When you went back home.
J: I didn't have a plan, I just wanted to go home. I didn't know what to think, I just wanted to die.
N: You say you wanted to die, did you contemplate killing yourself on your way to Yreka?
Approach
N: You didn't formulate any plans on the way back home?
J; No, I wasn't thinking of it, I just wanted to die.
N: When you went to Utah, and when you were going to go home to Yreka, did you have injuries?
J; Yes,
N: What were those injuries.
I guess they were like scrapes all over my ankles. I had cut myself downstairs, I guess it would have been June 4th. I dropped a glass down in the kitchen and he didn't get mad at me, but he called me clutzy. I picked up the glass and I cut myself. It was unrelated, but when I was driving, it reopened. So it was bleeding.
N: While you were in Utah, did you formulate an excuse for the injury?
J: Yeah, I said that I cut myself
N: Any explanation how?
J: yeah, the week before I cut myself at work, so I said I'm a bartender, I cut myself. I remember that because the date was in my phone.
N: Did you get home to Yreka?
J: Yes,
N: Did you get there in time for your shift?
J: Yes, if I was late, it wasn't too much. I think I was late, but I made it there.
N: Did you see your family there?
J: Probably my grandparents, I went home and changed into my work clothes for the restaurant.
N: When you got home, what did you tell your family?
J: I didn't tell them anything?
N: Just tried to live as normal?
J: Basically I just acted as if nothing had happened and just waited for the clock to tick down?
N: what clock are we talking about, for your arrest?
J: Yes, that clock.

N: You said you got back in early June, back to Yreka, and you were arrested in July. Did you ever contemplate or attempt suicide during that period of time?
J: Yes, umm not attempted, I took steps to.
N: What were those steps?
J: I bought a gun?
N: Where did you buy the gun?
J: IT's called Don's Sporting Goods, in Yreka?
N: Did you need to get a liscence in CA?
J: Yeah, CA requires a background check, and a 10 day waiting period for the gun to be registered.
N: Did you take any other steps?
J: Yes, I began to prepare for, there were things that I didn't want to come out about Travis and the things I was participating in, so I got rid of the clothes and the underwear.
N: Is that the Spiderman underwear?
J: Yes,
N: And what else did you do?
J: You mean to get ready to commit suicide.
N: Yeah
J: I was ready to leave the area. I was on the fence about killing myself, but if I didn't I'd get arrested and I didn't want to be in Yreka.
N: Why not in Yreka?
J: It would be easier for my family if it wasn't in their backyard.
N: Now, apart from buying the gun, we know that you had several phone conversations with Det. Flores while you lived in Yreka, didn't you?
N: Those came to pass after you learned from other parties about Mr. Alexander's death.
M: Objection
N: When did you make those phone calls?
J: I think I called on June 10,
N: What prompted your call to Flores on June 10
J: I think Leslie encouraged me to call him
N: Well, let me ask you this question. When were you informed of Travis's death.
J: The night before
N: Who told you.
J: Dan

Noon recess.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 1.03.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 1.03.26 PM.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.40.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.40.27 PM.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.21 PM.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.29 PM.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.31 PM.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 16

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 1.03.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 1.03.26 PM.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.40.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.40.27 PM.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.21 PM.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.29 PM.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.31 PM.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 4

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.43 PM.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.43.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.43.30 PM.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.43.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.43.54 PM.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.53.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.53.58 PM.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.59.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.59.24 PM.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 17

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.41.43 PM.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.43.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.43.30 PM.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.43.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.43.54 PM.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.53.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.53.58 PM.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.59.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.59.24 PM.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 13
Sorry missed the first couple of minutes. . .

Nurmi w/JA

Didn't tell grandparents or family what happened . . . she was in a hurry to get to work . . .
she wanted to deny what happened.

did you have any knowledge of anyone else knowing of TA's death?
no
were you fearing that might happen
yeah I assumed it was going to - I was definitely fearing that

early on morning of june 10th sometime after midnight- Dan Freeman called me - I saw his name on the phone and I dreaded it and he told me
object-hearsay

did you come away with understanding that ta had been definitively been found dead

did you seek out confirmation
Dan Freeman, then called Brent Hyatt, I dont' remember if I called zac billings his roommate but iwas talking to his girlfriend . . . got bishop Layton's phone number and called the bishop @ 3:00 am . .
told you ta was dead?
yes
how did you react to people tell you that
objection
approach

Jodi Arias-Day 8

Afternoon testimony

--Nurmi asks Jodi about returning her rental car. Says she eventually returned it but not on time. Was supposed to return it on the Friday but returned it on the Saturday instead.
--She had overslept and had underestimated the time it was take from West Jordan to Yreka, instead she took the highway around Mount ??? and on to Yreka. She called the rental place first.
--On the Saturday she went to Redding, it was her sister-in-law (she thinks) that drove her to return the car.
--Now asking about what day her shift was that she was scheduled to work? That friday at 4:30. She went to her Grandma's house, changed and went to work.
--Because of that schedule she didn't have a chance to speak with her family. She was in a rush, did not have an opporunity to speak to them.
--Was living with her grandparents at this time, had a pretty good idea that Travis was dead, something she wasn't accepting in her head, she kind of knew it but wasn't facing it. Nurmi says she wanted to deny that reality. Jodi says "pretty much".
--At this point in time did she have any knowledge of anybody else knowing of Travis' death? Answer is no.
--She was definitely fearing that. The fear became a reality early in the morning on June 10th, sometime after midnight, Dan Freeman called her, she saw his name come up on her phone, she thought it would be the phone call she was dreading.
--Based on the phone call, it wasn't definitively said that Travis was dead but she assumed it was the case.
--She sought out other confirmation. She called Travis friend, ?????, no answer so she called Zac Billings? Can't remember but she was talking to his girlfriend, she wouldn't say much. Got Bishop Leyton's phone number and she called him and he told her that Travis was dead.
--Nurmi asks how she reacted to that news. Martinez objects, Judge asks lawyers to approach.
--When she received confirmation from Bishop Leyton that Travis was in fact dead, her reaction was...she just remembered she was on the phone in the living room and she doubled over and started to sob.
--Nurmi asks if there was still a part of her that was hoping that he wasn't dead. Jodi says that she was hoping it wasn't real, it was a nightmare.
--Still to this day she wishes it was still a nightmare. She wasn't able to deny it as much in her head, it was facing her squarely.
--Jodi describes the emotions that caused her to double over, it's more like things that were going through her head. She didn't know how his friends had found him and what everyone was going through, she thought of Napoleon, and she didn't know what to think, it was a disaster, and she had to hang up with Bishop Leyton.
--After she hung up she was scared she would get arrested the next day. She was still trying to keep up the pretense...objection..sustained.
--She feared arrest...Nurmi asks what her plan was...she said she knew she would get arrested or she would kill herself. She hadn't decided yet to move to Monteray, but she decided that a few days later.
--re: conversation with Detective Flores, it was 3 a.m. when she spoke to Bishop Leyton, and spoke to Flores in the afternoon.
--Says that Leslie encouraged her to call Flores...she said...Martinez objects...hearsay....sustained
--Called Flores...Leslie had encouraged her to do so....also had her own reasons to call him. If she didn't call him it would look more suspicious so in order to pretend she was never there she called him.
--Nurmi asks why she didn't call him and tell him what happened? She says she was scared. She couldn't imagine admitting to something like that...couldn't imagine doing something like that.
--Called Flores to keep up the facade. Didn't want anyone in Utah to know either. To keep up the facade she called Flores.
--re: gun bought from Don's Sporting Goods. Went through the background check. Thinks she did the paperwork on July 1st and took possession of it July 11th. It was a 9mm gun.
--There is a lot if time between June 10th and early July, three weeks or so...Nurmi asks if she made any attempts to kill herself in those three weeks.
--During that time period she also made various calls to Flores. Why was she continuing to do that? She says because she wanted to continue to look like she was participating and wanted to see what information she could garner from him.
--Nurmi asks her if she was trying to see if her arrest was imminent. Jodi says she knew her arrest was imminent but she wanted to try and determine how much time she had.
--She had access to guns in her grandparents home. She says her parents also had guns. It didn't really come to her to kill herself until she had possession of the gun.
--Nurmi asks if there was some other reason for purchasing the gun. Why did she choose to purchase the gun? Jodi says several reason, her Dad has guns, Matt has guns, Darryl has guns, she wanted to see herself being a responsible gun owner, it was something she always saw herself doing. In the summer she was working at a restaurant called Purple Plum and met a friend there and she used to go out to pan for gold with this friend, it would also be like a camping trip, everybody on board was all men, they all drank, even through they were all friends, she was the only female, she thought it would be good to have with her when they went out there for protection. She was going to go on the camping trip and wanted it then. It was a bunch of guys and she didn't feel as safe around guys. Definitely after June 4th, she didn't feel safe at all after June 4th.
--After Travis' death was discovered there was memorial service at his church in Mesa and the funeral was held, she believes in Riverside. She tried to attend both but she only made it to the one in Mesa.
--Wanted to attend the services, if she didn't show up it would look suspicious, people knew they were close...Travis told her one time...
--Jodi says that her and TA talked about her funeral one time...he said...objection...sustained...
--jodi says that her and TA had an agreement or something to that effect that they would attend each other's funerals.
--Keeping that promise still meant something to her because he would have come to hers even if it was in Antarctica
--Nurmi says that TA throws her down on the floor, says I'm going to kill you *****...wouldn't that throw that out the window?
--Nurmi asks Jodi if she still viewed Travis as a good person...Martinez objects...leading...Jodi says that she has seen very very good sides of him and that is the person she wanted to embrace.
--Jodi says she has sides she isn't proud of and he did too and he had really good sides too <Jodi is crying on the stand>.
--Nurmi asks if she had forgiven Travis for attacking her, she says she blamed herself so she doesn't know how much there was to forgive.
--Nurmi asks her what was her experience. She was the Freeman's house in Gilbert after the service and she was in the bedroom taking time out, and she felt like he was there, <more nose wiping>, it helped her to know that he was okay and that he was in a better place and maybe he wasn't mad anymore. <Samantha, TA's sister is very upset and crying>
--After that experience Nurmi asks her if she forgives herself for not escaping. Martinez objects and Nurmi mumbles something and Juan tells the judge that the way it works is he objects and the judge decides. Judge asks lawyers to approach the bench.
--Earlier testimony, Jodi testified she felt like she couldn't escape due to the incident in 2007 where he caught her running down the hallway. So in 2008 on June 4th, based on what she said earlier, she didn't consider it a viable option...Martinez objects..sustained. Jodi says that she couldn't escape through the bedroom door, she thought she could run into the closet and out the other door.
--So when she was at the Freeman's and she was having this experience she did not forgive herself for having that other option.
--Nurmi asks today if she has forgiven herself for not having another option. Martinez objects...relevance. Judge asks for them to approach the bench.

As we stand here today (asking my question again) have you forgiven yourself for not finding another situation . . . . on June 4th
No I think if I just left before that happened - I have a million regrets - I mean I was scared of him and what happened but I regret
do you blame yourself
yes
you did that and you do that now correct
objection - sustained

why do you still feel given what happened on June 4th - why do you believe now you realistically had other options once it started
I don't maybe if when I grabbed the gun I didn't mean to fire it and it made him more angry he was just like this volcano - he was already pissed off but he was raging after that . . I would have just stopped him maybe he wouldn't have gotten as angry as he did or threatned to kill me - I don't know

those thoughts still with you when you found out he got shot he was deceased
I didn't know he got shot until Det. Flores told me

in terms of your life plan you made . . . . called Det. Flores in an effort to act like you had nothing to hide = living in Yreka trying to put up that same façade?
yes
trying to act everything was normal
depends on when . . that first week I tried to act like nothing happened . . after talking to Bishop and Dan I felt I could just let it out . . my emotions
because it was known now?
yes
let out your emotions - apart from intial outburst with bishop Layton did you have others
yeah I did
several?
um usually every night

why every night
....cuz at night I just lay there thinking about stuff and usually that is when he would call me and when he would cll me late at night he was in a good mood and I just knew that my phone wouldn't ring anymore . . . .(crying)

once you had permission to openly grieve - did ya tell your family what happened?
I told them that he died - I didn't tell them about me being there
did ya tell them about the things you have told us throughout the testimony - the sex and the violence
no I would never have told them that . . after I say anything negative about a guy they hate him forever . . . it's embarrassing - not just the sexual - just being in those situations . . .I wouldn't talk about anything negative . . it was a philosophy I had . . . (something loud drops)

The Law of Attraction . . . you might have heard about it there was a movie and book called the Secret - something I briefly studied when I was 19 or 20 years old . . .tA studied it . . . it was part of my philosophy my creed . . . . TA wouldn't let me think about negative things . . I wrote about it in my journal . . .
Objection

TA introduced you to the law.
he introduced me to the movie about the law . . .
Law of Attraction - don't put out negative thoughts - what you put out there will be brought back into your life - don't think about, talk about or bring into your life negative

that . . . prevent you from writing things in your journal?
yes
objection
yes

law of attraction - putting things out there - what was the meaning to you about saying anything negative about TA to your family
I never said anything negative about TA to anyone ever - except Matt . . . I didn't want to say anything - didn't want anyone to know those aspects

I promised I never say anything about his other issues . . . . I said I would never . . . . his sexual problems . . . (don't know what else to call it) . . . ummm . . didn't want anyone else to know the level of violence in our relationship because that might be construed as motive to kill him

ok . . remember the day your were arrested?
yes
what were you doing on that day before you were arrested?
Um I was getting to move some things down to Monterray - I was getting to movie some things my dad took me to the car rental my infinity was gone at this point - got a rental put things in the car - still had things of matts for about 10 years - he had been wanting . . . took a shower . . they were books for matt. . .

gun you bought @ sporting goods store in your possession or not
I did It was in the car

after you were arrested . . .did Det. Flores arrest you
I think officer potter put handcuffs on me . . . the one that came to the door
spoke to Det. Flores that day
yes

at this point in time . . .day you were arrested - you had several phone conversations with Det. Flores
yes
went to Mesa PD and gave your dna and fingerprints
yes
had you met Det. Flores prior to your arrest?
yes

nurmi seems to be slowing way down today

when you were arrested . . . you were wearing jeans
jeans and tee shirt
why didn't you tell them
main reason I was very ashamed of what happened - never imagined anything I would be doing - not the kind of person I was - it was shameful . . very much not me and it was shameful - didn't want my family to know I had done that. . I was very fearful - couldn't bring myself to tell anyone I had done that

based on the tape on that day you made choice to deny being there all together
yes
thinking it would make you appear innocent
it wsa more like - I didn't understand any of these procedures . . . an Atty would have told me don't say anything - I didn't know I could just be quiet

Speak with Det Flores the next day . . . recall that
first I talked to Det. Blaney and then Flores
When spoke to Det. Flores on 2nd occasion . . . . .. . . . .told him you were confronted with the evidence that in fact you were there . .
right
then you told him another lie right
yes
what did you tell him
um . . . I began to tell things that I thought would comport with what their forensics would show and create not an excuse but create a way for me not to have been responsible for it

So you tell him a story about a man and woman breaking into the bathroom - why did your story include there were 2 intruders
there were 2 people there that day and everyone did say oh well . . there was
objection hearsay
approach

PART 2

--Nurmi asks as we stand here today, have you forgiven yourself for not finding another way out of this situation you found yourself in on June 4th? Jodi says that if she had just left before it happened, she has a million regrets, she was scared of him and she reacted and she will always regret...Nurmi asks if she will regret not taking other measures....objection...sustained...Nurmi asks why do you believe now that you even had other options once it started? Jodi says maybe if she hadn't...when she grabbed the gun and fired it it only made him more angry, he became a volcano, he was already pissed off and he was raging after that. If she had handled the gun properly then maybe he wouldn't have gotten as angry as he did. Maybe he wouldn't have threatened to kill her. She has had those thoughts.
--Says she didn't know Travis got shot until Flores told her.
--In terms of her life, the plan she made, she called Det. Flores in an effort to act like she had nothing to hide. When she was living in Yreka was she putting up that same facade? Trying to act like everything was normal. When she talked to Dan Freemand and Bishop Leyton she felt like she had more freedom to let it out...her emotions....because it was known now.
--Nurmi asks about her emotions...apart from the initial outburt after talking to Bishop Leyton...did she have others? She says she did. Says usually every night. Nurmi asks why every night? Jodi says that at night she just lays there and think about stuff and usually that's when he would call me and that was when he was in a good mood. She knew that her phone wouldn't ring anymore.
--Nurmi asks her about once she had permission to openly grieve, she says she told her family that Travis had died but didn't tell them about her being there. Nurmi asks if she told them about the sexual things and about the violence. Jodi says she would never tell them. Reason was that whenever she said something negative about a guy they would hate him after. It's also really embarassing and shameful being in those situations. In order to understand why she wouldn't talk about anything negative it was a philosophy of hers called the Law of Attraction. The Law of Attraction, there was a movied and book called the Seacret. She had briefly studied it when she was 19-20 years old. Travis was into it. Anytime she would mention something negative he would get upset and tell her not to focus on those things. One time when they had that big fight she wrote about it in her journal and he found it...objection..sustained.
--Travis introduced her to the movie The Secret. What you put out there is what you get back. You're not supposed to speak about, write about, etc. negative things. Travis would assert that law from writing those things in her journal. Objection. Sustained.
--She never said anything negative about Travis to anyone except one time to Matt. Especially now. Didn't want anybody to know those aspects. Promised she wouldn't say anything about his other issues.....his sexual problems....and she definitely didn't want anybody to know about the level of violence in their relationship because it would be construed as motive to kill him.
--re: the day she was arrested. Nurmi asks her what she was doing on the day she was arrested. Jodi says that she was getting ready to move some things down to Monteray. Her Dad took her to the south end of town to get a car rental. Her Infinity was gone. She got a rental and came back, she still had some things of Matt's from 10 years prior, old books, she took a shower and then her grandmother told her that there was a police officer at the house.
--Nurmi asks her about the gun she bought, she says it was in the car.
--After her arrest...she thinks it was officer Potter who put the handcuffs on her...after she was arrested she spoke with Flores that day.
--At this point in time, the day she was arrested, she has had several phone conversations with Flores, and she had also gone to the Mesa, PD and had given her DNA and fingerprints, prior to the day of her arrest she had met Flores.
--When she was arrested and questioned, she was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Nurmi asks why she didn't tell him...why did she deny being there. She says she was ashamed, it's not the kind of person she was, it was shameful, she didn't want anyone to know she had anything to do with it, it was not her it was shameful, she was scared, she didn't want her family to know, she just couldn't bring herself to say she had done that.
--Says she didn't understand any of the prodecures, she had been told to deny everything, that's what an attorney had told her. She had never been interrogated by a police officer before.
--re: speaking with Flores the next day, she spoke to detective B??? then Flores. When she spoke to Flores on the second occasion she told him...she was confronted with evidence that she was there then she told him another lie. Nurmi asks her what she told him. Jodi says that she began to tell him things that would comport(word?) with what the forensics would should and would show a way for her not to be responsible for it. She tells him about a man and woman breaking into the bathroom...Why did she include the story of two intruders...it was because there were two people there that day. Jodi says that everyone was saying...Martinez objects...Judge asks them to approach.

There were a lot of rumors hanging around . . . ? told me repeatedly that there were 2 persons
why did you come up with a man and a women there
I think kind of esoteric but it was like me and travis fighting that day . . . I don't know

did 2nd interview - had some time tothink and get your bearings . . .creating this lie to tell Det flores the next day - did you contemplate telling him the truth.

I contemplated it . . . I was no where near ready to tell somebody I was capable of something like that

were you in a state of mind where you could have told Det. Flores anything about the lurid sexual behavior
no way - he is Mormon all the more shameful

what about TA did you still you want to protect him and his memory
I was trying to protect both of us . . .there were a lot of people already hurting and I didn't see any benefit to talk about all thos things - to anybody - it would just cause more pain - I didn't see any benefit to anybody . . . TA didn't want anybody to know . . I didn't want anybody to know . . . especially when TA got violent . . . I wanted to portray he and I were friends and getting along that whole day was fine.

what about the benefit to you to tell Det .Flores about you in your relationship
I didn't see any benefit
Was TA's image more important to you than your own future (UH LEADING????)

I didn't think there wsa any reason to open that door - no reason - no future no benefit to me and certainly no benefit to anyone else to say those things.

once you purchased the gun then realized how easy it would be to just pull the trigger . . when you were talking to Det. Flores . .were you planning on killing yourself
yes - they were not set in stone but I was wanting to I was wanting to die . . .

What ??????

after arrest did make plans to kill myself . . . oh yea. . . what happened I was I bought a whole bunch of advil I had been told never to take advil because it is an anti-coagulant they have razors you can keep with you . . . thought of slitting my wrists . . tiny jail, tiny town, I asked for extra laundry to stuff around my body and didn't want anything to get on her and I stuffed it around my body . . . I never did it obviously .. . I am still here . . . . I nicked my wrist with the razor just like a paper cut = I couldn't do it - it stung so bad and I wanted to do it before TA's birthday . . . July 28th (crying)

****Note need to relisten to this part closely*****

That way I would never have to admit to it and my family wouldn't know anything . . .couldn't do anything about him but I didn't want my Mom ior brothers or my sister to know things

Police interviews and you spoke with the Media as well - remember?
yes
did you reach out to them or them to you
they reached out to my family
they . . .who was it
CBS
was there a particular person worked for CBS
yes his name is Jonathon Leach
Did Mr. Leach come visit you in jail
he did
to your understanding was it his purpose to try and get you to participate in an interview
yes with CBS

did you decide to participate in the interview
eventually I did yes
why . . . . did you initially decline
my first instinct was absolutely not - I got a bad feeling - after contemplating for a little while - they made contact with my family the day after I was going to kill myself . . . I hadn't told my family about these fantasy intruders . . . I want to present a different picture of myself . . .

Moment for a break

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oceandreamer753