How will MH plead?

How will MH plead at her arraignment April 14?

• Guilty

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Not Guilty

Votes: 38 36.9%
  • Not guilty by reason of insanity

Votes: 46 44.7%
  • Other/don't know

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't all perps plead not guilty? Seems like it anyhoo...

Oh, sometimes there's a no contest too... LOL

TH on NG said mental problems will be the hallmark of the defense.

I think it depends a lot on her atty... and we don't know much about her yet. I predict she pleads not guilty and this goes into a long drawn out ordeal...

Since inside sources now say that she admits to an accident, can M. still plead not guilty?

This is very interesting to me. I was leaning towards the thought that her family may influence her to plead guilty given that they are all ministers and God fearing people. Now Grandma says MH's says she is innocent.

I'm puzzled :waitasec: I think if her family is as God fearing as they proclaim, they should counsel her to plead guilty, face her punishment and stay the heck away from x-acto knives!

Salem

Since inside sources now say that she admits to an accident, can M. still plead not guilty?

Yes, she can still plead not guilty. Murder is all about intent. By pleading not guilty, MH is saying she had "no intent" to kill Sandra. Then the State will have to prove MH did intend to kill her OR, regardless of MH's intent, MH was in the process of committing a dangerous felony. Commission of a dangerous felony is inherently dangerous and includes the risk of harm to others. By taking on that risk - MH had intent. Its kind of circular but it gets you back to the same place - intent.

MH is also charged with kidnapping (a dangerous felony) and sexual assualt (a dangerous felony). Once the state proves either charge, they can prove intent through commission of the dangerous felony.

HTH,

Salem

This story shows how it important to be very careful and not let ourselves get carried away in anger over what happened to sweet, beautiful little Sandra Cantu. A second, innocent woman named Melissa Huckaby lives in Tracy, CA. She's also 28 years old, a single mother of a 5 year old and is a Sunday school teacher. Apparently she's been getting death threats and her whole family is traumatised:

California Sunday School Teacher Mistaken for Accused Child Killer
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Associated Press
(carried on foxnews.com)

Please pardon me if you have come across this message posted on other threads, but it's so important to get the word out even to future visitors or casual visitors who may read only this thread.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milkjug
Back