Huckaby defense seeks second Sandra Cantu autopsy

I'm wondering if/hoping that this may be because MH is going to plead Guilty or "No Contest".

I'm wondering if/hoping that this may be because MH is going to plead Guilty or "No Contest".
I think it is because the preserved the tissue samples, photos, etc. They will especially want cross sectional slides of the tissue that would have led the DA to bring these charges... that would have shown tissue trauma (different antemortum vs perimortum). I bet they also took a lot of heat over it as well...

Wow, just when I think this case can't shock me anymore than it has...

I'm very pleased. Sandra can remain where her family laid her to rest. That's the best news I've had all day, all week, all month.

I am relieved to hear that he has dropped the request, Nursebeme you are so awesome for posting this!:blowkiss:

I am still upset that he made the bid in the first place without seeing if it was needed:slap:. The bid itself was hurtful to Sandra's already devastated family.

The request by Sandra's attorney had me questioning the competence of the ME and of Tracy LE. I wondered how they could not have had the foresight to do everything to avoid a claim like this being made. I looks like they actually did.:clap:

Your post brought another thought to my mind instead Mouser.

I wonder if the Lawyers on both sides have been talking? One of the reasons a second autopsy was requested was that the DP was possibly going to be on the table. The Prosecuting Att. office has not made comment to that as of yet, I wonder if it's off the table?

ETA: They may very well be working out a plea Mouser.

This family didn't need any more grief, I am thankful the defense dropped this request for a second autopsy !

Whew! What a relief this bit of news was! I just can't even tell you how bad I was dreading the ordeal of having to see Sandra's family go thru having her body exhumed! I have an 8 year old daughter, and I can't imagine!!! :clap:

I wonder if the Lawyers on both sides have been talking? One of the reasons a second autopsy was requested was that the DP was possibly going to be on the table. The Prosecuting Att. office has not made comment to that as of yet, I wonder if it's off the table?

Unless the DP is taken off the table. I do not see a plea

Kat, I wondered about this, too.

Unless the DP is taken off the table. I do not see a plea

I agree DP. This case has amazed and stunned on numerous occasions. One of the biggest surprises for me, would be for MH to cop a plea to save herself from the death penalty. I do NOT see this happening because she is a compulsive, chronic, accomplished liar who is amazed, impressed, and inspired by her own ability to lie. I bet you a dollar to a doughnut that she is sitting in her cell at this very moment trying to think of a new way to spin this tragic story to her own advantage. As we have seen with Casey A. and the Caylee case, these people are completely submerged by their own ability to lie and have the rest of us believe it. She will not plea out.

I agree DP. This case has amazed and stunned on numerous occasions. One of the biggest surprises for me, would be for MH to cop a plea to save herself from the death penalty. I do NOT see this happening because she is a compulsive, chronic, accomplished liar who is amazed, impressed, and inspired by her own ability to lie. I bet you a dollar to a doughnut that she is sitting in her cell at this very moment trying to think of a new way to spin this tragic story to her own advantage. As we have seen with Casey A. and the Caylee case, these people are completely submerged by their own ability to lie and have the rest of us believe it. She will not plea out.

I'm holding out hope (against my better intuition) that you are wrong. I've been wondering since shortly after she was arrested and it was leaked she was talking. I realize it probably was information she gave before the actual arrest, but I just hope and pray that Sandra's family can be spared the added punishment of going through a trial. With Melissa's family giving some input (which I hope to God they are doing!), I'm just wondering if Melissa will agree to end this and spare Sandra's family further pain. I don't want to give up until I see what happens Friday. I'm guessing I will have to come to terms with it after the hearing, but until then - no offense - I'd really like to think you are wrong. :blowkiss:

It's going to be a circus if she takes the stand. I'm dreading it. She's an extremely sly one, but also very clumsy sometimes. That's a dangerous combination, IMO. I hope the jury stays focused.

I am so happy to hear this news. I don't really care why they did it, I'm just glad they did. And I applaud whoever it was that had the foresight to plan ahead so that a 2nd autopsy would not be necessay. I send them many, many, many cyberhugs.

I too am praying that MH will plead out. I am hoping that her religious upbringing and the support of her family will help her make the right decision here. I do see many similarities between MH and KC and it is worrisome. I hold on to the thought that MH has pleaded before, when she pleaded no contest to the theft charges. So I think there is hope in this case. I think?

Salem

It's going to be a circus if she takes the stand. I'm dreading it. She's an extremely sly one, but also very clumsy sometimes. That's a dangerous combination, IMO. I hope the jury stays focused.
bravo! You just put into words what I couldn't about Melissa Huckaby! She is extremely sly yet clumsy as well... I agree it is a dangerous combination!

I am so happy to hear this news. I don't really care why they did it, I'm just glad they did. And I applaud whoever it was that had the foresight to plan ahead so that a 2nd autopsy would not be necessay. I send them many, many, many cyberhugs.

I too am praying that MH will plead out. I am hoping that her religious upbringing and the support of her family will help her make the right decision here. I do see many similarities between MH and KC and it is worrisome. I hold on to the thought that MH has pleaded before, when she pleaded no contest to the theft charges. So I think there is hope in this case. I think?

Salem

Good point about the pleading no contest to the theft charge. I hadn't thought about that all. I wish we knew what the circumstances were around that and/or her motivation was for that plea, it might give us some insight into her personality.

Snippit:

Salem

Yes, if Melissa's family has the opportunity, I think they will urge her to settle this without a trial. Perhaps they will succeed. Hopefully, she will not want to bring more shame on her family -- particularly her grandfather.

When Melissa was in court, I saw a deeply conflicted woman. When the word "rape" was uttered, she cringed and seemingly came close to losing it. It was as though the REALITY of the situation flooded over her. Now don't get all upset with me.... I think if she thought she had the glimmer of a chance to "spin" a different story, she would be off and running with new lies and excuses.

I think I recall that she tried to plead mental incapacity for the most recent theft case. She was ordered to be assessed by two court appointed doctors and was found to be competent, but mentally ill.

And I am not saying that she is not mentally ill. She IS. IMO But there seem to be "cracks" that let just a bit of light in. I think she tries to "play the game" as long as she thinks she can get away with it, but when nothing is working, she surrenders (briefly). I think that is why she said, shortly after her arrest, that it was an "accident". I also think that the note and all of her other clues were attempts to end the suspense and bring the search for SC to an end.

Some mentally ill people just finally get tired of trying to weave the web of deception -- especially when they have been "caught". It takes a lot of energy. The only problem is that, if they have a chance to "re-charge", they start to "play the manipulation/lies & excuses/blame game" again, sinking deeper each time into more denial.

Two possible parallel truths... Pathological liar and deeply dishonest and manipulative. And just under the surface, a fragile, fragmented person. This does not excuse her in any way, shape or form.

Mental illness is complex. I know from firsthand experience with someone I loved. I don't think Melissa is totally Evil -- as some might like to think. Her mental illness may have progressed to the point that she doesn't even know who she is anymore.

Pleading guilty to save herself from the DP and both families further anguish would give her life in prison (separated from her own daughter) and "without the possibility of parole" to come to terms with the consequences of her actions.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back