IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the cartel themselves most likely. But their influence, as they flood the area with cheap meth, but demand payment and influence. They meet with low level drug addicted criminals and give them the cheap meth, and that is what creates the chaos and violence, imo.

Those low level dealers have tremendous fear because they are under the thumb of the real cartel. So these low level local dealers are the ones who are potentially violent. JMO

I feel this idea is a red herring as an angry dealer would have shot and robbed DS and left him where he lay. IMO

Moo..any illegal product is divided down the line. Cartel want their finger prints n responsibility off as soon as possible. Though long distance truckers do mule. Cannot see short haul driver being useful in anyway, not large amounts anyway...moo

I understand what you're trying to say. I feel I can say with 100% certainty that no one who is selling or distributing dope in that area has any thought about or fear of "the cartel." It's just that far removed from their reality. I tend to think people suggesting "the cartel" is kind of like the "satanic panic" of the 1980s/1990s. Total red herring. If someone here knows different, please pipe up as I'm always willing to learn something.

In the same vein, and I'm not saying this to be crappy to my fellow Iowans, 'cause I'm one of you, but none of the people selling dope in and around Sac County are Mensa members, able to pull off a bloodless abduction and/or murder for dope or dope money. If the cartel, in whatever form you mean, violently abducted or killed DS, where's the blood? In the truck, on his jacket, on the pavement, anywhere? There hasn't been any because, if there was any blood found, someone would've reported it by now and the timbre of this investigation would have changed to something much more "urgent."
I couldn't have said it better. Thank you.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
This interview was approved as a source here the other day.
Jump to about 1:01:30 and listen to 1:03:55. Sarah talks about the previous disappearance. Unless there was more than one event, she says he was gone a few months, working in Omaha, them returned and turned himself in.

Last edited by a moderator:
She says he got pulled over by cops, refused a breathalyser test, so was taken to the hospital for a blood test, when the nurse wasn't looking he snuck out and evaded the cops for a couple of months. He went off but came back and turned himself in. Back when he was a single guy and had no family.

IMO that does show a certain side to his character but it's not really comparable to the magnitude of this situation. The only 'pattern' that could be looked for (and it's not a pattern as he hasn't done it more than once as far as we know) is that when cornered and guilty of something, instead of facing consequence, DS could have an urge to potentially take matters into his own hands and flee.

If he's fled something I honestly don't think he'd leave a truck of piggies and his money and ID and strew his clothes. Simply because last time he turned himself in. Well stopping dead in the road with no hazards and a load of hogs would create him more offences, more fines, and more penalties that could deprive him of his truck driver licence and he'd never be trusted to work again.

JMO MOO

This interview was approved as a source here the other day.
Jump to about 1:01:30 and listen to 1:03:55. Sarah talks about the previous disappearance. Unless there was more than one event, she says he was gone a few months, working in Omaha, them returned and turned himself in.

With the very few pieces of info SS gave us, to me sounds like in that past occasion DS just ran away on the spur of the moment trying to evade a warrant (or a court date or whatever he had to face) by going interstate (barely a couple of hours away just across the border), hoping that he wasn't pulled over there and they wouldn't extradite him on the warrant.
This seems very different IMO than walking away from a well established life, getting a burner phone, changing identity, etc. There is a different motivation, higher level of planning involved, different implications (having a family looking for you, having to cut financial ties and start fresh at his age, etc).

It's true that past behaviour is an indicator for future behaviour, but it's also true that people's life and mindset evolve.

I'm not sure what to think anymore, but I don't necessarily believe that the two episodes are linked.

She says he got pulled over by cops, refused a breathalyser test, so was taken to the hospital for a blood test, when the nurse wasn't looking he snuck out and evaded the cops for a couple of months. He went off but came back and turned himself in. Back when he was a single guy and had no family.

IMO that does show a certain side to his character but it's not really comparable to the magnitude of this situation. The only 'pattern' that could be looked for (and it's not a pattern as he hasn't done it more than once as far as we know) is that when cornered and guilty of something, instead of facing consequence, DS could have an urge to potentially take matters into his own hands and flee.

If he's fled something I honestly don't think he'd leave a truck of piggies and his money and ID and strew his clothes. Simply because last time he turned himself in. Well stopping dead in the road with no hazards and a load of hogs would create him more offences, more fines, and more penalties that could deprive him of his truck driver licence and he'd never be trusted to work again.

JMO MOO
As others have also pondered, it would be interesting to have more details on how he fled before. Did he just abandon an apartment, leaving possessions behind? Did he quickly and quietly move his possessions out, not leaving a landlord or family to have to deal with wondering what to do with everything? Was he in touch with any family or friends or were they concerned as to his whereabouts? Was he driving a truck then, and was that abandoned in the sense of it being left at his residence?

As others have also pondered, it would be interesting to have more details on how he fled before. Did he just abandon an apartment, leaving possessions behind? Did he quickly and quietly move his possessions out, not leaving a landlord or family to have to deal with wondering what to do with everything? Was he in touch with any family or friends or were they concerned as to his whereabouts? Was he driving a truck then, and was that abandoned in the sense of it being left at his residence?

Well if he was pulled over for a breathalyser, he must have been driving a vehicle of some sort at the time? The fact he fled hospital would be also likely due to having poor judgement because inebriated?

It was the holiday season when DS disappeared. Just out of curiosity, could it be likely cops were doing traffic stops and breath tests or checking for violations?

JMO MOO

Well if he was pulled over for a breathalyser, he must have been driving a vehicle of some sort at the time? The fact he fled hospital would be also likely due to having poor judgement because inebriated?

It was the holiday season when DS disappeared. Just out of curiosity, could it be likely cops were doing traffic stops and breath tests or checking for violations?

JMO MOO
I should have been more clear in reference to my pondering about whether he left a truck behind. I was wondering whether he was driving a large rig for a living then, and if yes, what happened to it when he fled to Omaha?

He may have fled the hospital while inebriated, for sure, but apparently the desire to keep fleeing would have occurred after he woke up the next morning, as I doubt he would have just driven to Omaha as he fled the hospital, IMO.

I should have been more clear in reference to my pondering about whether he left a truck behind. I was wondering whether he was driving a large rig for a living then, and if yes, what happened to it when he fled to Omaha?

He may have fled the hospital while inebriated, for sure, but apparently the desire to keep fleeing would have occurred after he woke up the next morning, as I doubt he would have just driven to Omaha as he fled the hospital, IMO.
I'm pretty sure David was working as a truck driver at the time. I see violations on his court records related to operating a commercial truck prior to this. I believe Sarah also said David has been driving for a long time and his father did as well. David may have owned his own truck at that time or maybe drove a truck for his father or someone else.

Anyway I was thinking maybe David had a job in Omaha or near by that kept him busy for a month or so. Living in his truck, showering at a truck stop, eating at restaurants. Not much different than being an over the road driver. No real need to vacate an apartment or house if he was just going to be gone for a month and was planning on coming back.

I don't see anything really unusual on the OWI conviction court records other than he may have not shown up for a pre-trial hearing, but if he wasn't able to make it, his attorney would have just filed a continuance, but I don't see that happened. There was a pre-trial hearing and trial scheduled, but it looks like David just pleaded guilty to the charge. So maybe his attorney told the DA David would plead guilty and that was that. Later signing the plea deal and spending his time in jail, fine, alcohol classes, ect.

The Omaha thing might not be as big of deal as Sarah thinks or makes it sound. When someone's livelihood depends on having a drivers license, you wouldn't think they would have done something as stupid as running an hiding which would have no doubt have lessened the possibility of David receiving privilege's to still drive for work even though his drivers license would be suspended.

JMO

I listened to the complete interview and feel it was parallel to most of our thinking/reconstruction except for her telling about the items found in his jacket. She said pocket knife, "ear buds", and a towel. No mention of a phone charger as has been stated in various posts. Nor one (or more) muck boots.
It was enlightening to hear that the truck was returned to her possession for her mechanic to drive to his shop and park.
Then a few days later; LE had the truck towed away without her knowledge, apparently for further search/inspection.
Big truck tows are expensive. It had been contaminated by LE at the scene, further by the mechanic driving it to his shop. Hardly seems worth the expense. Still, no flash of light has dawned.

I listened to the complete interview and feel it was parallel to most of our thinking/reconstruction except for her telling about the items found in his jacket. She said pocket knife, "ear buds", and a towel. No mention of a phone charger as has been stated in various posts. Nor one (or more) muck boots.
It was enlightening to hear that the truck was returned to her possession for her mechanic to drive to his shop and park.
Then a few days later; LE had the truck towed away without her knowledge, apparently for further search/inspection.
Big truck tows are expensive. It had been contaminated by LE at the scene, further by the mechanic driving it to his shop. Hardly seems worth the expense. Still, no flash of light has dawned. Was it
Was the truck towed by LE for examination before or after a family member cleaned it out, twice I think I read?

Are you aware that they say they have searched thousands of acres with drones, ATVs, on horseback, on foot etc? I don't think there has been any lack of effort to find the victim.
It doesn't appear to me that any of those fields are mowed down. The only search that can assure finding a body in a field covered in knee and chest high grasses/plants, is shoulder width apart people walking a line across the field. There are far too many acres to even attempt that.
I apologize. My 100 meant to have a "k" behind it - auto correct I am guessing. But yes, over 100k has been searched but agree it could be done more. Not sure how to edit or revise my post.

I have been wondering how long it would take for someone to say this, and by "this" I mean the involvement of drugs, namely, methamphetamine. Meth is a huge problem, and has been a huge problem, in that area (like so many other areas) for 25+ years. People you'd never expect would use it, use it. I have friends and family members that have been swept up in that life, so I'm not speaking from a place of judgment.
I am from that area, born and raised there. I am completely surprised I had no idea who DS was -- his name wasn't familiar to me at all -- even though he and I are only one year apart in age. Back in our high school days, our paths had to have crossed, more than once ... small town kids used to encounter, hang out with, date, be related to, and be friends with other nearby small town kids all the time. I have no memory of him, which is weird.
I want to be wrong about this, but the difference in his appearance in the two pictures of DS on his "missing" flyer immediately struck me like a ton of bricks. I'm interested in knowing when each photo was taken.
I don't know how, but I too have the strong feeling that drugs are involved some how, some way.
I am really hoping for answers for his family, and soon.
Agreed. I'm also local and have family who live/farm not even a mile from where his truck was found. I mentioned it in another post earlier on with some insight into the area. I'd hate to see it be this and while my thoughts are not necessarily that "he was doing" the rugs, but maybe he became a competitor or possibly owed as well - again, all speculation on my end. But the meth probably has been out of control for a long time in these rural communities.

Are you aware that they say they have searched thousands of acres with drones, ATVs, on horseback, on foot etc? I don't think there has been any lack of effort to find the victim.
It doesn't appear to me that any of those fields are mowed down. The only search that can assure finding a body in a field covered in knee and chest high grasses/plants, is shoulder width apart people walking a line across the field. There are far too many acres to even attempt that.
History of cases of the missing has proven that searching a probable area over and over is beneficial. We think spotting them is easy. It is not. Just a second of a glance away when on ATV, Horseback or even walking (especially if have someone talking with close by) missed them first pass. Warmer weather search of the same territory would definitely be beneficial. Unfortunately, not only visual but sensory smell would help locate.

Big truck tows are expensive. It had been contaminated by LE at the scene, further by the mechanic driving it to his shop. Hardly seems worth the expense. Still, no flash of light has dawned.

"According to McClure, a Sac County secondary roads employee called in David's truck at 3:04 p.m. Nov. 21 after it was discovered parked on the traveled portion of the road. The truck was shut off, the lights were off and the key was in the ignition. Deputies found David's wallet and cellphone inside. McClure said a towel, cellphone charger and pocketknife were found with the coat on the opposite side of the road."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member