Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

I am not surprised David was found within the area where he went missing. It happens ALL the time and searchers say they walked right by. A body is beyond easy to miss and unless you have actually gone out and looked yourself you cannot imagine how easy it is.Thats why a proper grid search is imperative and has been written about here many times.
I still believe a properly trained/certified HRD K9 would have been a good resource as part of the search team and in conjunction with additional searches, as well as proper mapping techniques to show areas that were covered/missed. I personally question the credentials of the only dog that seemed to be used. Was its a trained trailing dog? However, I believe the LE officers did their very best with what knowledge and resources they had available.
I hope SS and family get more answers about what happened. RIP David. I am glad you were found.
JMO

Body found in Iowa farm field confirmed as that of trucker who vanished in November​

The Iowa Department of Public Safety said Thursday the state medical examiner’s office had conducted a forensic autopsy, and authorities identified the body as that of David Schultz, 53, with dental records.

At least there should be conclusive answers once autopsy is completed. I too can not wait for the results and know finally why this happened!
Press Release says no signs of trauma and foul play is not suspected so must be health related or consumed something with a bad effect.

Agree! But we're going to have to be really patient, because toxicology is minimum 6 weeks, usually more.

That headline says "truck driver is found dead 10 miles from abandoned rig"... I thought it was about a mile and a half from the truck where he was found? Or did I just make that up?

MSN Article
While the authorities do not suspect foul play, Ms Schultz told the reporters that many aspects of her husband’s death do not add up, leaving her to speculate that some sort of foul play could be involved.

“I can’t think of any reason why he would have walked a mile and a half out into the middle of a field and laid down, and taken his coat off and shut his truck off,” she said.
SBM
Ms Schultz said that from what she understands, her husband was found lying on his back with his keys found in his pocket.

“He had underwear on, and I think his jeans were down. His cowboy boots were on, I think,” she said. “I know they identified him by the boots, because the last time he went and bought boots, he bought two pairs of the exact same ones. I gave the sheriff one of the newer boots to have for comparison.”

Mr Rowley joined the bereaved wife at the conference, telling reporters that they did not search that area where Schultz’s remains were found because they were told law enforcement had already searched that part by the time they joined the initiative to find the trucker.
@cuffem this mentions the keys.

If his pants were found down, I still wonder about a medical episode. Could he have been feeling ill, stepped out to walk it off, possibly felt the need to relieve himself, and had a heart attack or something similar??

Guess it depends on how much they care or think about their truck. It's possible they knew enough to know they aren't doing well and soon might not know what's going to happen and cut it off. ‍
(The rest would follow.)
IMO it is possible.

Guess it depends on how much they care or think about their truck. It's possible they knew enough to know they aren't doing well and soon might not know what's going to happen (Set the brakes, turn on the 4 ways),and cut it off. ‍
(The rest would follow.)
IMO it is possible.
Guess it depends on how much they care or think about their truck. It's possible they knew enough to know they aren't doing well and soon might not know what's going to happen and cut it off. ‍
(The rest would follow.)
IMO it is possible.
It's possible they knew enough to know they aren't doing well and soon might not know what's going to happen,(Set the brakes, turn on the 4 ways,) and cut it off. ‍Ingrained actions, like muscle memory...

Guess it depends on how much they care or think about their truck. It's possible they knew enough to know they aren't doing well and soon might not know what's going to happen (Set the brakes, turn on the 4 ways),and cut it off. ‍
(The rest would follow.)
IMO it is possible.

It's possible they knew enough to know they aren't doing well and soon might not know what's going to happen,(Set the brakes, turn on the 4 ways,) and cut it off. ‍Ingrained actions, like muscle memory...
But why turn the wrong way

I have known a couple men who have had strokes and heart attacks in their 30s and 40s, so it is definitely a possibility at David's age of 53. They call high blood pressure "the silent killer". If he was a smoker, <modsnip> then that increases the odds even more. If he was stressed, eating fast food on the road a lot, not getting enough sleep, it takes a toll on the body. The only thing that wouldn't make sense in that scenario is why wouldn't he have tried to call for help? If he was able to leave the truck then he would have been able to call 911. So then, he was possibly not in a clear headed frame of mind when he left the truck. All just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have known a couple men who have had strokes and heart attacks in their 30s and 40s, so it is definitely a possibility at David's age of 53. They call high blood pressure "the silent killer". If he was a smoker, <modsnip> then that increases the odds even more. If he was stressed, eating fast food on the road a lot, not getting enough sleep, it takes a toll on the body. The only thing that wouldn't make sense in that scenario is why wouldn't he have tried to call for help? If he was able to leave the truck then he would have been able to call 911. So then, he was possibly not in a clear headed frame of mind when he left the truck. All just my opinion.

David's situation may have been like my neighbor's.

I shared the following upstream:

Our neighbor was a short-haul trucker (if such a term exists). He was constantly working, playing volleyball and doing other activities. I never saw him stressed nor sleep-deprived, but who knows?

He had a fatal heart attack in his early 50s.

JMVHO.

I’ve always thought he committed suicide from day one. He parked on a road opposite his normal route because it’s more desolate imo. I think he struggled with his decision. Hence driving slowly to where he parked. Threw his jacket but decided to go the other direction last minute. IMO he deliberately walked off into the cold and froze to death. Too many things point to suicide imo. I think he was mentally and physically exhausted and saw no other way out. Moo

When are we going to stop wondering how a body can be found after the area was initially searched? It just happens all the time and most of the time no foul play has occurred.
Yes. Agree. It isn't always foul play.
In addition I seem to remember that after DS had been missing a few weeks, there was some speculation on here that his body would be found in the spring, and that's what has happened.

RIP David.
At least his family has some form of closure, even if they don't have all the answers.

MOO: simplest answer is the right one, and this man, for reasons forever unknown - exhaustion, depression, addiction, maybe all of those, maybe none of them - walked off into the fields. Very grateful that his remains were found and there is at least that limited degree of closure.

MOO: simplest answer is the right one, and this man, for reasons forever unknown - exhaustion, depression, addiction, maybe all of those, maybe none of them - walked off into the fields. Very grateful that his remains were found and there is at least that limited degree of closure.
But how did walking off into the fields kill him? Usually, that's not a fatal move. I just can't see anything that makes sense, except maybe if he had a heart attack. Hope the awaited reports tell more.

But how did walking off into the fields kill him? Usually, that's not a fatal move. I just can't see anything that makes sense, except maybe if he had a heart attack. Hope the awaited reports tell more.
It’s a fair question and it helps to realize and acknowledge that it happens more often than logic would have us suspect. MOO: People walk off for a myriad of reasons - anxiety, depression, exhaustion, addiction, injury, illness, combinations of any and all - and they walk until they go to their knees, and crawl, and eventually they stop, be it dehydration, exposure, withdrawal, injury, illness, combinations of any and all. We don’t always get the full and compete answer afterwards. In a functional world with people who care, we eventually find their remains. It feels nonsensical, illogical, right? It shouldn’t be that way. I feel a lot of empathy for families who emotionally grapple for a different answer than the ambiguous one that evidence provides. I can understand that frustration.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhysiare