Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

<modsnip>
I do not think that a volunteer search organization member should give interviews contradicting police during an investigation. I agree with an earlier post that said they may be less likely invited to help authorities in the future.

The concept of a grid search is very detailed and interesting to me. I know in some instances they have used police and FBI students.

I'm glad David has been found. I always felt he got out and ran off on his own. MOO.
BBM: I totally agree with this. Just exactly what is his end-game here? Also RRBM (in Blue): This is exactly what I think will happen. LE agencies are going to look back and on this and wonder what this organization and others are going to say about the efforts they (LE) has put into finding the next missing person. It is hard enough as it is to get professional volunteers to help search. Plus, to my knowledge, this person saying these things was NOT the person that found David. And I really don't think LE let him go wondering around the scene to check out the state of decomposition of David's remains. The Cajun Navy has left a really bad taste in my mouth due to these comments. I get the fundraisers to pay for the funeral expenses and for the second autopsy, but should the person who is saying all the wrong things about LE be the one who is announcing it and setting it up? And is the Cajun Navy going to get a cut of the leftover money if there is any? Just some things I've been pondering.
Same question, as condition of the body after being in the open for even less time might well preclude gunshot, (thru and thru), knife, blunt force trauma, or garrote application.
As for LE two options: A quiet continual investigation has been going on, and will continue until arrests are made. The one I believe could still possibly happen with the discovery of the body.
Or the other.. Inept LE work at the outset and ride the unexplained mental/medical line to sadly close the case.. Depends on the integrity and character of the LE involved.
RBBM: I think a quiet continual investigation will continue to go on, regardless of the the cause and manner of death. I don't know if this is a homicide, suicide, accidental, or natural death. I am leaning more toward suicide or an accidental death (like an overdose). Homicide at this point, is my last consideration. I do think LE has integrity and character and will eventually find out what happened here.

Family spokesman: Second autopsy of David Schultz planned, 'Don't feel comfortable with results'​

A spokesman for David Schultz's family told The Journal Friday they plan to have a private forensic pathology firm conduct a second autopsy on the Wall Lake, Iowa, trucker's body.
Jake Rowley, of the United Cajun Navy, said Schultz's wife, Sarah, gave him permission to set up a online fundraiser. He said they hope to raise at least $10,000 to cover the cost of a second autopsy, as well as Schultz's funeral expenses.

And then there is this:

"Not that I do not trust the officials and what they do, I definitely do," said Rowley, who noted some test results, such as toxicology, have not come back. "There's other parts of this that haven't been completely returned yet. There may be something in that, you know, that hasn't been brought to our attention yet."
RBBM: The first part of that quote just burns my biscuits. He goes on to say that state of decomposition is INCONSISTENT with the length of the time that the remains have been out in the elements. To me that means he does NOT trust the officials and what they do. He is acting like the body wasn't there all along, when it most likely was. And as we WS's know, decomposition is dependent on so many things. i understand the want for the second autopsy, but so many tests haven't been returned yet, such as the toxicology results haven't been returned. I feel the toxicology is going to be the key in this mystery. Basically, I think Rowley is talking out both sides of his mouth to stay relevant in this investigation. He is really playing on David's widow's worst fears and that makes me angry.
Andthis:

During that interview, Rowley also asserted that Schultz's body was in a state of decomposition inconsistent with having been out in the elements for more than five months; the body, he said, was not as decomposed as it should have been under the circumstances, implying that it may have been discarded later.
BBM: Just exactly does he know this? Did they walk him through the crime scene and let him take a look and do any tests? In the next quote by Joe Friday he says he isn't an autopsy professional, but a search and rescue professional. He really needs to refrain from making comments about the body being discarded later and about the condition of the body. He is NOT a DECOMPOSITION EXPERT. I would also be interest to know where he got his search and rescue professional credentials. I would think one of the first things they would teach in a credential class like that is to keep your mouth shut until the investigation is complete. Don't go offering opinions about the case unless they are provable FACTS.
And if your not puzzled by all that consider this:

On Friday, Rowley said, from his understanding, Schultz's body was "unrecognizable" outside of the cowboy boots and dental records.
"Trying to be able to do a thorough autopsy on a body that has a state of decomposition is hard. And so, maybe something was missed, maybe it wasn't," he said. "I'm not an autopsy professional. I'm a search and rescue professional. When it comes to those things, I have to count on the professionals to do what they do, and that's kind of why we're looking at doing a second autopsy."
RBBM: I think one of the first things missed was that Rowley should not offering an opinion that can NOT be verified with FACTS until the death investigation and autopsy is complete. And since the body is SO decomposed, why does he think he was moved there later? Does he not realize how much harder it would be to move a partially decomposed body? Where does he think David was before he was found here? He should perhaps refrain from commenting about anything related to the state of the body and the autopsy. Oh, and where did he get his professional search and rescue credentials?
It’s been winter and cold in Iowa so it could be that the body would decompose slower than it would at other times of the year.
RBBM: This right here. A body is not going to decompose the cooler temperatures the way it does in warmer temps.
Sorry about the long reply. These things have been meandering around my brain since David was found.

RIP, David.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the long reply. These things have been meandering around my brain since David was found.

RIP, David.

Your post has many very good points raised and considered. Actually, we are still right where we were until David's body was found, and there now being no glaring obvious injury to point up cause.
With the complete autopsy; that has been done, results not being analyzed and released, we still are
in limbo.
I just find it hard to accept him working normal up until the turn, and whatever you advance occurring, that manifested itself enough to cause the activity to discovery of the loaded truck, and still allowed him to function routinely . Then, suddenly affect him so he travels 1.5 miles away.
As for Jake and his "floritilla". Like so many today, he is milking the main chance for more attention.

I wonder if finding the body qualifies for the reward?

According to the minutes from the Jan. 23 meeting of the Sac County Board of Supervisors, County Attorney Ben Smith and Sheriff Ken McClure requested $25,000 of American Rescue Plan funds to use as a reward for information leading to the location of Schultz. The request was unanimously approved and the reward money will be available through November “due to ARP regulations,” according to the meeting minutes.

According to the minutes from the Jan. 23 meeting of the Sac County Board of Supervisors, County Attorney Ben Smith and Sheriff Ken McClure requested $25,000 of American Rescue Plan funds to use as a reward for information leading to the location of Schultz. The request was unanimously approved and the reward money will be available through November “due to ARP regulations,” according to the meeting minutes.

Well, the farmer did call it in as a body and then it being ID as Dave, certainly led them to his location. I say pay.

And if your not puzzled by all that consider this:

On Friday, Rowley said, from his understanding, Schultz's body was "unrecognizable" outside of the cowboy boots and dental records.
"Trying to be able to do a thorough autopsy on a body that has a state of decomposition is hard. And so, maybe something was missed, maybe it wasn't," he said. "I'm not an autopsy professional. I'm a search and rescue professional. When it comes to those things, I have to count on the professionals to do what they do, and that's kind of why we're looking at doing a second autopsy."
My heads spinning. Counting on the appropriate professionals and telling them what to do at the same time? hmmm. He didn't find DS in the first place so maybe he just needs to back out of the room slowly. I do feel extremely sad for SS having to deal with all of this! She needs support not confusion. JMO

The moral thing for me would be to not want the reward. The money goes back into a fund for the next missing that a tip may get them returned home to their loved ones. Not a stumbled across while doing your job. I mean seriously, what are you going to do if you stumble across a dead body? Say nothing if there is not money to be made? Sad world we live in if that would be true. Just my thoughts on it.

The moral thing for me would be to not want the reward. The money goes back into a fund for the next missing that a tip may get them returned home to their loved ones. Not a stumbled across while doing your job. I mean seriously, what are you going to do if you stumble across a dead body? Say nothing if there is not money to be made? Sad world we live in if that would be true. Just my thoughts on it.
The major majority of the reward money ($25,000) is coming from a fund established during COVID. The American Rescue Plan. This fund (tax payer dollars) was for supporting people that lost their jobs during COVID to pay for health care, rent, mortgages, ect.

Cities or Counties I believe have until the end of this year to use up or distribute the money from the American Rescue Plan. And I believe that is why the reward fund was only offered through November of 2024. This would give time for Sac County to use the money elsewhere before loosing it.

At any rate $25,000 of the $28,400 would not go towards future rewards. Individuals who donated could have stipulated that if the reward is not paid out, their contribution should be returned. So we really don't know how much of the $3,400 might actually go towards future rewards.

It would be interesting to see where the $25,000 actually gets spent if not paid as a reward. (This is where you think of the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard of the goverment spending money on)

According to the minutes from the Jan. 23 meeting of the Sac County Board of Supervisors, County Attorney Ben Smith and Sheriff Ken McClure requested $25,000 of American Rescue Plan funds to use as a reward for information leading to the location of Schultz. The request was unanimously approved and the reward money will be available through November “due to ARP regulations,” according to the meeting minutes. Reward for finding Sac County man now $25,000

The major majority of the reward money ($25,000) is coming from a fund established during COVID. The American Rescue Plan. This fund (tax payer dollars) was for supporting people that lost their jobs during COVID to pay for health care, rent, mortgages, ect.

Cities or Counties I believe have until the end of this year to use up or distribute the money from the American Rescue Plan. And I believe that is why the reward fund was only offered through November of 2024. This would give time for Sac County to use the money elsewhere before loosing it.

At any rate $25,000 of the $28,400 would not go towards future rewards. Individuals who donated could have stipulated that if the reward is not paid out, their contribution should be returned. So we really don't know how much of the $3,400 might actually go towards future rewards.

It would be interesting to see where the $25,000 actually gets spent if not paid as a reward. (This is where you think of the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard of the goverment spending money on)

According to the minutes from the Jan. 23 meeting of the Sac County Board of Supervisors, County Attorney Ben Smith and Sheriff Ken McClure requested $25,000 of American Rescue Plan funds to use as a reward for information leading to the location of Schultz. The request was unanimously approved and the reward money will be available through November “due to ARP regulations,” according to the meeting minutes. Reward for finding Sac County man now $25,000

I forgot about that on the $25K not coming from mostly donations which the contributors have the choice to leave for future rewards or be reimbursed.

So maybe guy should accept reward if he can and setup a fund for the twins with it.

I forgot about that on the $25K not coming from mostly donations which the contributors have the choice to leave for future rewards or be reimbursed.

So maybe guy should accept reward if he can and setup a fund for the twins with it.
I had the same thought about somehow transferring it to the care of the twins.

I don't understand why the person who found him would not be entitled to the reward to be used as they desired.
Unless there were some stipulations that were not met, the finder should get the reward.

Last edited:
My heads spinning. Counting on the appropriate professionals and telling them what to do at the same time? hmmm. He didn't find DS in the first place so maybe he just needs to back out of the room slowly. I do feel extremely sad for SS having to deal with all of this! She needs support not confusion. JMO

I think an analysis of search missions performed, number successful (their group found-not other searchers) would be enlightening. How travel and lodging was financed, and portions of reward/funds raised were shared would further enhance their "professional" status.
Further, a little detail of what training or technical qualifications their "rescue" personnel have.

Jake ups the number of searchers with each interview. Does he do the same for the search areas. We want facts coming out of that mouthpiece. He has inserted himself into this investigation and into SS drama, almost like a well-prepared script. The press release should have been conducted by SCSO. IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blushybomb
Back