Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

SS has no $ so how would she hire a PI?

Something that strikes me as odd is DS carrying cash only, and carrying $3K per week starting every Monday (apologies but I forget the source - I think it was an interview with SS). That's a lot of cash - what would it be for?

(plus how is it he has $3K per week to carry around but as soon as he disappears, his family has no money...?)

Finally, he disappeared in the early morning hours of Tuesday and there was $2K in his wallet. if he starts every Monday with $3K, then $1K was gone. You can get pretty far on a thousand dollars.

IMHO MOO etc.

Something that strikes me as odd is DS carrying cash only, and carrying $3K per week starting every Monday (apologies but I forget the source - I think it was an interview with SS). That's a lot of cash - what would it be for?

(plus how is it he has $3K per week to carry around but as soon as he disappears, his family has no money...?)

Finally, he disappeared in the early morning hours of Tuesday and there was $2K in his wallet. if he starts every Monday with $3K, then $1K was gone. You can get pretty far on a thousand dollars.

IMHO MOO etc.
BBM

Maybe she used some of this money.

$18,000 + from the Go F Me fund
Venmo donations
Cash donations received in the mail.
Cash donations received from church.
Cash donations dropped off at her house.
Gift cards, Christmas presents, groceries (all saved her from spending her cash)
Proceeds from sale of yellow Peterbilt (Sale price was almost $90,000 - loan amount - sales commission and fees if any)
Sale of Red Peterbilt (Never heard if she sold it. Son and girlfriend supposedly cleaned David's personal items out of it)
Was selling David's pickup

JMO

IMHO MOO etc.
Sarah has stated in numerous interviews that it was common for David and many truckers to carry large amounts of cash throughout the week. Some places give a discount on fuel if paid in cash, from what I understood.

Also, I thought he started each Monday with $2,000, not $3,000? Happy to be corrected!

I expect all that cash was largely to pay for fuel. I’ve just had a look to remind myself, but apparently a big rig like that can have either 1 or 2 tanks up to 150 gallons each.

$3.70 local gas price x 150 gallons = $555 per tank

If he had 2 of those tanks, $1100 roughly per fill up. You can imagine how quickly $2-3k per week could disappear. Plus add in coffee, lunch, a new tire, whatever.

FWIW: SS did have a post about hiring a female PI. I had googled that female PI and she seemed hinky to me, moo. She deleted that post shortly after I saw it and I never saw that PI named again in her posts.
ETA: Just found her it was Bix Elite Detective service, Sergeant Bluff, IA

Last edited:
FWIW: SS did have a post about hiring a female PI. I had googled that female PI and she seemed hinky to me, moo. She deleted that post shortly after I saw it and I never saw that PI named again in her posts.
ETA: Just found her it was Bix Elite Detective service, Sergeant Bluff, IA

Curious - what did you think seemed hinky about her? I mean, for most part all PI's seem a bit hinky to me, but I'm not seeing anything hinkier than normal.

I guess the fb page seemed off to me and no website that I could find. Perhaps that's normal? I haven't googled PI's before. jmho
Just my opinion of course, but it seems one needs to be a little "off" to be in this line of work anyway. Back in about 2018 I had some pretty extensive conversations with a PI that was hired for another Iowa missing person case. The whole licensing and certification process seemed a bit wonky to me, seemed like pretty much anyone could do it no experience necessary. Not saying they're all flakes of course, but when you hand out licenses to anybody that wants one cheapens the credibility factor.

That particular case took a weird turn that bears some similarity to this case. The PI found information that the family did not want to accept and she was absolutely blasted on the facebook page. The information she found indicated that the missing person wasn't as squeaky clean as portrayed, and his own actions led to the situation of him being missing. I sent her a friend request and I'm still friends with her to this day.

Surely his cell phone records aren't hers to say yes or no to giving access to?!

LE would go straight to the network provider or his cell phone company.

I was thinking same. Maybe she could literally have accessed them because she knows his security data and passwords etc, if they shared all their accounts with one another. However, would that technically be legal to do? Certainly LE would try to obtain that surely?

I was thinking same. Maybe she could literally have accessed them because she knows his security data and passwords etc, if they shared all their accounts with one another. However, would that technically be legal to do? Certainly LE would try to obtain that surely?
It's probably legal if they shared passwords, many couples do.
But her stopping LE from accessing the records is just ridiculous, they don't even need her to supply those records, so I wonder if LE is trying to catch her out or smoke further details out from her surreptitiously ..?

It seems to me there are different types of phone data and records.

There's the phone itself, which can provide the pinging and GPS data, and we know they have the phone and it wasn't locked.

Next level to me are phone calls, voice mail and text message threads. Those can be deleted, but can also sometimes be recovered by experts from the provider, although would the provider just have the numbers communicated with, but not the content of text threads themselves? If you're using Apple's messaging feature, that data would be held by Apple and whatever other device you're communicating with, like if the recipient in the convo is on a Samsung. Is it still true that Apple absolutely refuses to provide these records, even if the person is deceased? I know we've read that people are allowed to willingly disappear so I have seen on other threads that they couldn't obtain certain phone records because of privacy issues, if there is no hint that a crime has been committed on the person.

Then there are email accounts, and social media and other site accounts, such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, Pinterest, FB, Instagram, and more... even LinkedIn (in Suzanne Morphew's case, we learned that she was communicating with her boyfriend using LinkedIn's messaging functionality). Those records have to be requested from those companies if you can't access them on the device, plus I believe they may retain the history if the person were to delete the app or conversations from their device so you may obtain more information in the officially provided records.

Last, and I'm always amazed when LE can find this sort of thing, people may have secret accounts so where would they even begin to track them down? Your spouse may only think you use Gmail, but you could set up another email account, such as Yahoo, and you could read Yahoo email in your phone's browser, without having to install an official Yahoo mail app. And each time you're done, you clear the browser history so a person casually scanning your phone for email apps wouldn't even see it right off the bat.

I wonder which type of data they do have on him beyond what they were able to see readily on the phone.

Last edited:
Did SS say, the text/pic, she wouldn't like to show to LE, "wouldn't be incriminating" for him or for her? I only remember "not incriminating".

Did SS say, the text/pic, she wouldn't like to show to LE, "wouldn't be incriminating" for him or for her? I only remember "not incriminating".
Sarah said that LE has the phone and did see the pic, and they wanted Sarah to tell them more about it—which she did.

The interviewer in the video asked Sarah what the photo was of, and she declined to say. (As stated above, LE already knows, of course.) The interviewer then asked if it was incriminating, and Sarah said no. I took it to mean that the “incriminating” question was in reference to David’s case, not anything that Sarah had done!

Last edited:
My first thought was, the photo LE asked her about is of a woman. But I'm spitballing, it could be a hundred other things.
The fact she is so adverse to the subjects of cell phones and viewing video, is strange to me.

No one can say with 100% certainty, that their SO would not have a burner phone. It's just not possible, as much as we all think we know our loved ones. David carried cash to pay for fuel and whatever else, so we already know his MO. He could just have easily, bought and maintained a prepaid phone with cash. Maybe he was much more savy with electronics than he admitted to being?

Just some thoughts on a lazy Sunday afternoon ~

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation is responding to a scene in northern Iowa where officials say a body has been found.

KCCI has confirmed with authorities that the body was found in Sac County, but no other details were immediately available.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k8ert8er
Back