IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodbury County is just west of Sac County. This is posted by Woodbury County Sheriff on their Fb page, Their last post 9 hours ago.
*** Interesting comment by RVC, scroll down a ways.

“The Woodbury County Sheriff’s Office is aware of information circulating on social media in reference to a traffic stop that occurred near Hwy 20 & the bypass on Monday November 27th at 1:18 am.
For clarification a 911 call was received for a reckless driver near Moville at 1:01am. Deputies conducted a routine traffic stop on the vehicle at 1:18am(14 miles). The driver was subsequently arrested for possession of cocaine and felon in possession of a firearm. There were two other adults and four children also in the vehicle at the time of the arrest.
There is no evidence or indication that this traffic stop has any connection to the missing driver referred to in the post. The suspects nationality has nothing to do with the case and all suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
The caller certainly did the right thing by calling in suspicious or reckless activity.
We hope this clears up any misinformation.”

Woodbury County is just west of Sac County. This is posted by Woodbury County Sheriff on their Fb page, Their last post 9 hours ago.
*** Interesting comment by RVC, scroll down a ways.

“The Woodbury County Sheriff’s Office is aware of information circulating on social media in reference to a traffic stop that occurred near Hwy 20 & the bypass on Monday November 27th at 1:18 am.
For clarification a 911 call was received for a reckless driver near Moville at 1:01am. Deputies conducted a routine traffic stop on the vehicle at 1:18am(14 miles). The driver was subsequently arrested for possession of cocaine and felon in possession of a firearm. There were two other adults and four children also in the vehicle at the time of the arrest.
There is no evidence or indication that this traffic stop has any connection to the missing driver referred to in the post. The suspects nationality has nothing to do with the case and all suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
The caller certainly did the right thing by calling in suspicious or reckless activity.
We hope this clears up any misinformation.”
I saw the rumor that was going around, if anyone didn’t it was basically one of those scare tactic stories about a trucker being followed & a car trying to force him to stop. Of course, it’s possible, but the person posting this supposed story was also being weird about the race of the person who was maybe pulled over in the incident?? So I’m taking it all with a huge grain of salt. It reminded me of those “don’t touch the zip tie on your car door” human trafficking stories, if you know what I mean.

This is such a weird case! I hate to bring this up again, but I’m still confused as to where exactly David’s truck was found. Was it on the narrow country road without shoulders, or a more developed highway? If his truck was found on the country road, it makes absolute sense that he hadn’t pulled over, especially if he was planning on getting back in his truck. There are no shoulders on roads like that, he would’ve had to pull into the muddy/fieldy area on the side of the road, and I can’t imagine it’s easy to get a semi out of that. If it was a more developed highway, I can see how it’s weird that he didn’t pull over, because there are shoulders. This point is important to me because I don’t want to focus on that aspect of the case if it’s really not that weird at all.

I will also say I don’t feel that self harm is at play here IMO. A psychotic break usually happens between 18 & 25, and it’s rare for psychosis to show up after age 40. Psychosis is also not something you’d be able to hide well from people you’re around a lot.. it’s easy to act coherent in small doses (i.e, when picking up hogs from a farmer) but i would imagine his wife would’ve noticed something off. Even if he is working all the time, when you know someone, you know something is wrong with them when they’re psychotic. JMO & JME, of course. I’ve been the psychotic one and the one witnessing psychosis. It’s scary. I don’t think that’s what happened here… but i also don’t really know what I *do* think happened here.

Hoping for answers for David’s family soon, and if David is still out there somewhere due to whatever circumstances, I hope he’s found safely and able to recuperate from whatever has happened.

I saw the rumor that was going around, if anyone didn’t it was basically one of those scare tactic stories about a trucker being followed & a car trying to force him to stop. Of course, it’s possible, but the person posting this supposed story was also being weird about the race of the person who was maybe pulled over in the incident?? So I’m taking it all with a huge grain of salt. It reminded me of those “don’t touch the zip tie on your car door” human trafficking stories, if you know what I mean.

This is such a weird case! I hate to bring this up again, but I’m still confused as to where exactly David’s truck was found. Was it on the narrow country road without shoulders, or a more developed highway? If his truck was found on the country road, it makes absolute sense that he hadn’t pulled over, especially if he was planning on getting back in his truck. There are no shoulders on roads like that, he would’ve had to pull into the muddy/fieldy area on the side of the road, and I can’t imagine it’s easy to get a semi out of that. If it was a more developed highway, I can see how it’s weird that he didn’t pull over, because there are shoulders. This point is important to me because I don’t want to focus on that aspect of the case if it’s really not that weird at all.

I will also say I don’t feel that self harm is at play here IMO. A psychotic break usually happens between 18 & 25, and it’s rare for psychosis to show up after age 40. Psychosis is also not something you’d be able to hide well from people you’re around a lot.. it’s easy to act coherent in small doses (i.e, when picking up hogs from a farmer) but i would imagine his wife would’ve noticed something off. Even if he is working all the time, when you know someone, you know something is wrong with them when they’re psychotic. JMO & JME, of course. I’ve been the psychotic one and the one witnessing psychosis. It’s scary. I don’t think that’s what happened here… but i also don’t really know what I *do* think happened here.

Hoping for answers for David’s family soon, and if David is still out there somewhere due to whatever circumstances, I hope he’s found safely and able to recuperate from whatever has happened.

The location of the searches suggests the truck was found on country road N14/Union Avenue north of Hwy 71, rather than on the highway itself. Knowing N14 has no shoulders does mean the truck couldn't be parked anywhere else; it had to be parked on the road, if it was going to be parked at all.

And that becomes the question: Why was it parked at all?

Something blocking the road? An urgent call of nature that was only expected to take a minute or two? A medical emergency? Those things might explain the truck being parked with its lights still on and the engine possibly still running, but sadly they come no closer to explaining where David went.

And ETA: I often do go along with a possible self harm theory, but that depends on the case. They’re all so very different.
I do want to say that I completely respect everyone’s different opinion on this, as we all have our own unique perspectives .
That’s actually one of the things I love about Websleuths! IMO
Hi, @neesaki. Folks disappear for a lot of reasons. When we have no clues as to the reason why someone is missing, we begin to hash out different theories. We discuss the pros and cons of each based on what we know at any given point in the investigation. As time goes on we begin to form opinions as to what likely caused the person to disappear. Sometimes, we just can’t make that determination.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that when someone throws out a theory, be it foul play, self harm, or something else, it is not necessarily that poster’s opinion as to what happened, but a discussion point for all of us to chew on.
I guess we WSers are all puzzle solvers at heart.
Here is a list of reasons why, (not all inclusive), someone may disappear.
  1. Intentional (adult), runaway, (minor)
  2. Suicide
  3. Lost
  4. Injured/mishap
  5. Stranger Abduction
  6. Foul Play
  7. Accidental death due to negligence with coverup
  8. Mental Health Crisis

Hi, @neesaki. Folks disappear for a lot of reasons. When we have no clues as to the reason why someone is missing, we begin to hash out different theories. We discuss the pros and cons of each based on what we know at any given point in the investigation. As time goes on we begin to form opinions as to what likely caused the person to disappear. Sometimes, we just can’t make that determination.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that when someone throws out a theory, be it foul play, self harm, or something else, it is not necessarily that poster’s opinion as to what happened, but a discussion point for all of us to chew on.
I guess we WSers are all puzzle solvers at heart.
Here is a list of reasons why, (not all inclusive), someone may disappear.
  1. Intentional (adult), runaway, (minor)
  2. Suicide
  3. Lost
  4. Injured/mishap
  5. Stranger Abduction
  6. Foul Play
  7. Accidental death due to negligence with coverup
  8. Mental Health Crisis
I personally like to look at the most common CODs for someone the victim's age. So for men David's age, we have:
1. Cancer 25.6%
2. Heart Disease 23.8%
3. Unintentional Injury (eg accident) 9.5%
4. Chronic Liver Disease 4.5%
5. Diabetes 3.9%
6. Suicide 3.6%
7. Lower Respiratory Diseases 3.4%
8. Stroke 3.1%
9. Septicemia 1.4%
10. Kidney Disease 1.4%

So for a man David's age, it's over 67% likely that he had a medical event, 9.5% likely that he had an accident resulting in death, 3.6% likely that he self-harmed, and less than 1.4% likely that he was a victim of homicide. I use these numbers to inform my sleuthing, so unless there are obvious signs of foul play, foul play is ALWAYS below accident/self harm in my list of theories. Most people with severe medical issues aren't well enough to disappear, so that factors less, but I always include cardiac issues in my theories for middle aged folks.

I've long wanted to do an informal study of case resolutions on WS, but I haven't yet. So you'll have to take my word that outcomes follow the probabilities listed above.

Note: For men 1-19, homicide is .1% more likely than suicide, but sadly I think that is due to several mass shootings.

I personally like to look at the most common CODs for someone the victim's age. So for men David's age, we have:
1. Cancer 25.6%
2. Heart Disease 23.8%
5. Diabetes 3.9%
6. Suicide 3.6%
8. Stroke 3.1%
9. Septicemia 1.4%
10. Kidney Disease 1.4%

So for a man David's age, it's over 67% likely that he had a medical event, 9.5% likely that he had an accident resulting in death, 3.6% likely that he self-harmed, and less than 1.4% likely that he was a victim of homicide. I use these numbers to inform my sleuthing, so unless there are obvious signs of foul play, foul play is ALWAYS below accident/self harm in my list of theories. Most people with severe medical issues aren't well enough to disappear, so that factors less, but I always include cardiac issues in my theories for middle aged folks.

I've long wanted to do an informal study of case resolutions on WS, but I haven't yet. So you'll have to take my word that outcomes follow the probabilities listed above.

Note: For men 1-19, homicide is .1% more likely than suicide, but sadly I think that is due to several mass shootings.
Thanks for these stats, @azure. We should all keep these in mind when we discuss disappearance cases of unknown cause before we jump to conclusions. As evidence/information comes forward, we can begin to cross things off both lists.
p.s. I look forward to seeing the results of your study at some point. :)

And that alerts me right there cause he would never pull over to sleep load, he just wouldn’t,” said Sarah.
BBM

Her statement doesn’t make sense to me ? Because it kinda seems like she had prior knowledge of the truck being on the side of the road.
The sentences just before that one said:
”The guy he hauls for knocked at my door saying hey we can’t find david have you heard from him. He said he didn’t unload the hogs I said so he’s loaded? And that alerts me right there cause he would never pull over to sleep load, he just wouldn’t,” said Sarah.” Link, who13.com

I interpret it as the wife was told her husband “didn’t unload the hogs”. So, her mind went to: if he’s late, was he so overtired that he had to pull over for a nap? She knew truckers sometimes need to pullover to take a nap, but she knows her husband won’t do that if he is still carrying a load. MOO

1. Cancer 25.6%
2. Heart Disease 23.8%
5. Diabetes 3.9%
6. Suicide 3.6%
8. Stroke 3.1%
9. Septicemia 1.4%
10. Kidney Disease 1.4%

If he had a medical event or accident, where is he?

If he had a medical event or accident, where is he?
That list just provides my mental framework for when I look at a new case. Not necessarily this particular case. I agree with what you're saying, among people who go missing, medical events are less likely. They don't make it far enough to go missing, and certainly not for weeks. However, I remember a case where a jogger was found long after the fact in a port-a-potty, having succumbed to a cardiac event, so it needs to be considered.

Accident in this particular case is also less likely, though if he were missing with the truck, it would still be in play.

**Generally speaking** **not about this particular case** if someone experienced psychosis from drugs and ran deep into the woods before dying of exposure **as has happened in other cases**, I think that would be considered an accident according to the CDC. Drug deaths are not listed separately.

I'm leaning towards some sort of abduction, prior to where the truck was found.

The truck found traveling in the wrong direction compared to where David needed to go to unload is odd. Being apparently parked in the middle of road, I assume with the lights turned off is even more odd. (I say no lights because a freind of the family was reported to have almost collided with the truck in the early moring hours while the truck was parked on the road, and they would have most certainly seen the truck from a distance parked if the lights were on)

I don't think David's disappearance has anything to do with a medical event. If so, David would have pulled over along his route and the truck would have been found still traveling towards the destination, not in the opposite direction. Furthermore if this was a medical event, David was still able to bring the truck to a safe stop and I would think he would have turned on his flashers if he was unable to park the truck off to the side of the road and left the lights. He then could have used his phone to call for help. But no phone calls have been reported to have been made for help. If someone would have came upon David in medical need, they most certainly would have helped him, not harmed him. <modsnip>

The truck being found relatively close to the destination suggests that the David was likely driving. If David was abducted and the truck hijacked I doubt the truck would have been found basically near the same city where the delivery was to take place, since where David loaded his truck in Eagle Grove was an hour east of where the truck was found near Sac City.

Did David maybe meet with foul play somewhere close to Sac City, and then the truck was abandon on the road, driven by someone other than David? That makes the most scene to me when you figure in why the truck was going in the wrong direction and so close to the destination of where he was to deliver his load of baby pigs.

Sac City is not far from where David lives in Lake View, IA.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
According to David's wife,

"He had to do another Seaboard load from Eagle Grove to Sac City," she said. "He just washed up and changed and gave me a kiss and ran out the door. He's always in a hurry."

I take it Seaboard is referring to Seaboard Triumph Foods in Sioux City. They likely have many farms or producers that supply the plant with livestock.

So has LE received/watched any videos nearby. The truck appeared to be headed the wrong way, which means it needs to turn around somewhere, right? It's not like a car that can do it on the road/small space. Someone must have seen it going around. Or on a truck stop or?

I'm leaning towards some sort of abduction, prior to where the truck was found.

The truck found traveling in the wrong direction compared to where David needed to go to unload is odd. Being apparently parked in the middle of road, I assume with the lights turned off is even more odd. (I say no lights because a freind of the family was reported to have almost collided with the truck in the early moring hours while the truck was parked on the road, and they would have most certainly seen the truck from a distance parked if the lights were on)

I don't think David's disappearance has anything to do with a medical event. If so, David would have pulled over along his route and the truck would have been found still traveling towards the destination, not in the opposite direction. Furthermore if this was a medical event, David was still able to bring the truck to a safe stop and I would think he would have turned on his flashers if he was unable to park the truck off to the side of the road and left the lights. He then could have used his phone to call for help. But no phone calls have been reported to have been made for help. If someone would have came upon David in medical need, they most certainly would have helped him, not harmed him. <modsnip>

The truck being found relatively close to the destination suggests that the David was likely driving. If David was abducted and the truck hijacked I doubt the truck would have been found basically near the same city where the delivery was to take place, since where David loaded his truck in Eagle Grove was an hour east of where the truck was found near Sac City.

Did David maybe meet with foul play somewhere close to Sac City, and then the truck was abandon on the road, driven by someone other than David? That makes the most scene to me when you figure in why the truck was going in the wrong direction and so close to the destination of where he was to deliver his load of baby pigs.

Sac City is not far from where David lives in Lake View, IA.

JMO
I do think it has to do where he picked up the load or closer to there, something smell stinky, just unsure what

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot get a clear picture of where the truck started, where it was supposed to go for delivery, the likely route, and the location/ direction the truck ended up. I've seen the maps posted here, but I guess I'm just not getting out. :(

I went back and listen to her repeating herself on TV. She says the truck was going the wrong way. It was headed north of the unloading place. Her words are being twisted.

So has LE received/watched any videos nearby. The truck appeared to be headed the wrong way, which means it needs to turn around somewhere, right? It's not like a car that can do it on the road/small space. Someone must have seen it going around. Or on a truck stop or

So has LE received/watched any videos nearby. The truck appeared to be headed the wrong way, which means it needs to turn around somewhere, right? It's not like a car that can do it on the road/small space. Someone must have seen it going around. Or on a truck stop or?
From my understanding of the area, the truck did not turn around but drove past where the drop-off location was. The truck was traveling from east to west, passed the destination, and for some reason headed north, away from the drop-off spot.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member