IA IA - Eugene Wade Martin, 14, Des Moines, 12 Aug 1984

I wonder if anyone has ever looked at a possible connection with the unsolved murder of Roger Warren? Roger Warren

Roger is not missing- he was found deceased shortly after his disappearance. He went missing in August of 1979- 3 years prior to John Gosch and 5 years prior to Eugene Martin. All of the cases happened in summer (Aug/early Sept), all of the boys were 12-13 years old, and all from Iowa. Roger was approached by an adult male prior to his disappearance. (His younger brother was 7 at the time and witnessed it)

Roger was from Davenport, which is not in the Des Moines area, but both towns are on the I-80.

Interesting. It's possible there could be a connection. The link you posted said that investigators had a good idea who killed Roger but not enough evidence to charge him. I wonder what they were basing this on? I also wonder if law enforcement ever looked at the same person for Eugene Martin & Johnny Gosch's disappearances?

Eugene Wade Martin
martin_eugene.jpg
eugene_wade_martin_2.jpg
eugene_wade_martin_3.jpg
martin_eugene_ap.jpg

Eugene, circa 1984; Age-progression to age 49 (circa 2019)

• Missing Since 08/12/1984
  • Missing From Des Moines, Iowa
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/17/1970 (50)
  • Age 13 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'0, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A gray and white striped midriff t-shirt with red sleeves, blue jeans and blue Trax sneakers with white diagonal stripes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Eugene has a scar on his right knee. One of his wrists has a healed fracture. His nickname is Gene.
Details of Disappearance

Eugene was last seen between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. on August 12, 1984 in his hometown of Des Moines, Iowa. He was preparing to start delivering his morning newspaper route at the time. He normally delivered the papers with his older stepbrother, but his stepbrother was not with him that day.

Witnesses saw Eugene talking to a man between 5:00 and 5:15 a.m. at southwest 12th Street and Highview Drive. The man is described as clean-cut, and he appeared to be in his thirties. He has never been identified. They were reportedly engaged in friendly conversation.

Eugene's route manager called his family at approximately 7:15 a.m. to report that Eugene's newspaper sack had not been retrieved from the corner of southwest 14th and Highview Streets. The manager called the family back 15 minutes later around 7:30 a.m. and reported that the papers were still unclaimed. Eugene's father then called the authorities. Eugene has not been seen nor heard from again.

Eugene disappeared from the same vicinity where John Gosch was last seen in 1982. It is not known if the two cases are related, but both boys were newspaper carriers in the Des Moines area.

Eugene enjoyed football, fishing, skating, watching television and playing video games at the time of his disappearance. His father and stepmother divorced sometime after he went missing, and now both of his parents are deceased. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Des Moines Police Department 515-283-4864
Source Information

Also posted on Johnny’s page.

Someone did a fantastic write up with sources on R about the possibility of a serial predator in the area. I know that website isn’t allowed but their sources are actual newspaper articles and I found them incredibly telling.
They’re Imgur links to photocopied newspaper articles.

“DM newspaper carrier escapes from assailant” -from The Register. Friday July 11, 1986
imgur.com

“Boy chased while delivering newspapers in Clive” - The Register
imgur.com

“Man chases, grabs carrier” -The Register (police sketch of man as well)
imgur.com

“Carrier flees man’s attempt at abduction” -The Register
imgur.com

Wondering if LE re-visited the tips that led them to Canada and Mexico?
Aug 6 2020 rbbm.
The Paperboy Abduction Cases
''On the morning of August 12, 1984, 13-year-old Eugene Martin left his house in a South Side Des Moines neighborhood around 5 a.m. to deliver Sunday editions of The Des Moines Register. He arrived at his pickup corner around 5:15 a.m., collected his bundles from the delivery van driver, and sat down to start folding them. According to Register stories, several passing witnesses reported seeing Eugene talking to a man in what looked to be a “friendly” conversation as he filled his delivery bag.

Forty-five minutes later, a woman called Eugene’s route manager saying she hadn’t received her paper yet. Thinking Eugene had overslept, the route manager went to the corner and was surprised to find Eugene’s delivery bag with 10 rolled papers inside, but no Eugene. After delivering the papers himself, the manager went to the Martin house to speak with Eugene’s father, Don. When Don realized Eugene hadn’t returned home, he started searching the neighborhood, but found no sign of his son. He called the police around 8:40 a.m.''

''During the height of the Martin investigation, Rowley traveled as far as Mexico and Canada to follow up on tips, and estimated he chased down “somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 leads,” but none was credible. “There’s never been a solid lead, a bone found, a fragment found,” Rowley tells A&E True Crime “We didn’t turn up any evidence.”

Like Johnny’s case, Eugene’s went cold. Authorities were never able to formally connect the two cases.''

Almost a given that the same guy who took Johnny Gosch was the one who took Eugene.
Marc Allen I'm not as convinced by, but a definite possibility.

I wonder if it was a random stranger or someone with ties to the Des Moines Register? I know there was at least one child molester who was an employee there.

Almost a given that the same guy who took Johnny Gosch was the one who took Eugene.
Marc Allen I'm not as convinced by, but a definite possibility.

I wonder if it was a random stranger or someone with ties to the Des Moines Register? I know there was at least one child molester who was an employee there.
They are definitely connected, the problem is to identify the pedophile who murdered these children... for me they are entrepreneurs looking for some livelihood by working so young... it is terrible to know that you can die working...
rest in peace eugene

August 11, 2023 article

[…]

Thirty-nine years later, Des Moines police say the search remains open and ongoing.

In a statement sent to KCCI Friday, DMPD said "Cases such as this don't grow "cold" due to a lack of interest from investigators or the community, but rather they stall as investigative leads are exhausted and new leads come infrequently. This remains a case of significant interest for the Des Moines Police Department."

[…]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monique 9903
Back