IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Mason City, 27 June 1995 - Anchorwoman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jodi Huisentruit’s Disappearance Still A Mystery 20 Years On
May 27, 2015 7:23 PM

snipped
Next month will mark 20 years since an Iowa TV anchor went missing.

Jodi Huisentruit’s disappearance has remained a mystery ever since, but a group of retired police officers and journalists have organized to keep her story alive.

They were in Iowa Wednesday to spread the word about a special tribute they have planned.

Can't believe it's been 20 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi guys. It's been 20 years. Been following Jodi's case since the late 90's. I've followed it all since the advent of the internet. Figure I'd start posting here since the boards over at the findjodi site are strictly moderated. Before there were external motivations on that site, there used to be really good discussions on findjodi and the bravonet forum. I'd just like to share a few things from a long time follower of the case. This case is a case very similar to the Maura Murray case. There are a lot of distractions and leads that go nowhere. There are even people who try cashing in on these cases by writing books. I don't think Beth Bednar's book brought anything new to the table, and actually suggested ideas that were wrong. The Copper Dollar Ranch murders are one example. I just thought it was written very irresponsibly.

With that being said, I'd like to share a few other things. I knew Jim Feldhaus (the PI who followed Jodi's case for almost 20 years) was in poor health, so I exchanged emails with him about 4-5 years ago. He never mentioned names, but he went to his grave believing that there was more than one person involved, and he thought it was a simple sex crime. Maybe he thought there were more than one person involved because of the person who hears two male voices outside. I still have the emails saved somewhere, and plan to share more details once I find them. He probably had more information than anyone regarding the circumstances surrounding the crime. Whenever I tried sharing this information on the findjodi site, it was always moderated and never posted.

Anyway, There seems to be a consensus on the internet about how the crime 'had' to be committed that morning because Jodi was running unusually late. People also suggest it was a "high risk" crime. Well, I delivered newspapers the years following Jodi's disappearance and these small Iowa towns do sleep. There is generally very little activity on the roads prior to 6:45 (unlike most cities); while on my route, I'd be lucky to see one or two cars before that time. I also think we can rule out the stalker theory because a stalker would know her schedule to a T. If she was running unusually late, he likely would have called off the crime. It would be much riskier as sunrise drew closer. I think we can surmise that the person(s) who committed the crime only knew her schedule roughly.

Has anyone ever asked themselves these questions: What if the crime was committed in the middle of January? Why did it occur on that day in June? I find it very peculiar that it happened after all the activity that Jodi mentions in her journal. It seems like the week leading up to her disappearance was a "whirlwind" of activity. I would go with a stalker theory if she wasn't running late and the crime occurred in a unremarkable day in, say....February.

Another thing I believe is that there was no van. Waking up early can play tricks on your mind. Many times on my paper route while growing up, I experienced deja vu multiple times. Very strange occurrence; and I think that he believed he saw a van, because that's what he wanted to see. There was a post back awhile on the findjodi forum before it took a turn for the worse. It stated, "around and around I go" (referring all leads pointing back to one individual). There were some very good ideas over the years, and a few individuals would have done a better job than the Mason City PD did. But as I look back as I let more realities of life sink in, it's not "around and around I go" anymore. To me, it's all roads lead to one, and I think we all know where that road leads. Sometimes I wonder what evidence did Jim (TheCat) have that made him believe that there was another person was involved. I wonder who took over his files (it was rumored that he had file cabinets full).

I really hope that one day Jodi is found. Another season (spring is the best time to uncover evidence of a grave or remains) has passed, and nothing has turned up 20 years later. I am confident she is under the dirt. By now, mushroom hunters, hunters, or fisherman would have came across her remains if it was simply disposed of on the surface in a forested area. I know the family has found peace, and I have found peace with the case on the 20 year anniversary. RIP Jodi.

To me, it's all roads lead to one, and I think we all know where that road leads.
Don't beat around the bush; that isn't helpful. Are you saying that you think John Vansice killed Jodi? If so, I'm far from convinced. The biggest hurdle for me is this: if he did it, why wasn't more evidence found? He was identified as a person of interest very quickly and wouldn't have had much time to cover his tracks.

Your post was very insightful, garner, and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

One thing I don't understand people obsessing over is that there must have been a man in her apartment because the toilet seat was up. I can think of all kinds of reasons the seat could have been up. Maybe she had to throw up at some point during the night. Maybe she dribbled pee on it and gave it a quick wipedown. Maybe she was dumping something liquid in it. Maybe she squished a bug in a tissue and threw it down. That's what I do.

So did the PI seem to think it was a sex crime by strangers looking to assault someone....or by someone she knew? There seems to be a general consensus on the net that a certain someone Jodi was close to was responsible. I don't really like to say the name, though, because there's not enough evidence, and I feel very bad for that person if they're totally innocent in all this.

Someone refresh my memory.....there was blood found on the car right? I'm assuming DNA could not be tested in 1995? Would they still have samples to test? I guess I'm wondering, is there a small chance that blood was not from Jodi, but rather the perp?

:wagon: to Websleuths, garneroutlaw!

:gthanks: for joining us in Jodi's thread. :)

I don't believe there was blood found on the car, no.

Thinking of Jodi on her 20 year anniversary. If there were any cases I could see solved, this & Amy Billig's would be it!

Would if I could amber1. But I am in the UK.

In Jodi's Apt parking lot, her car key was found right next to her Miata and the stuff she would normally take to work was strewn around the lot. The key was bent as if she was attacked as she was unlocking her car. This scene would suggest she was abducted by a stranger.

It has occurred to me that the scene might have been staged. I don't have access to a Miata but I've tried my key in my car and seems extremely unlikely that someone with the key partway in could be attacked in a manner that would cause the key to bend and to come out of the socket. A Miata key might be different so it might be possible, but it raises the possibility of staging. A look at the crime by an experienced detective would give a pretty good idea if the scene was staged.

If the scene was staged, Jodi was probably abducted by someone she knew. Does anyone know if staging has been considered and ruled either in or out?

I've never considered it. I always thought the bent key and strewn items were an indication of quite a violent struggle. This was in 1995 and car keys are quite different now. Back then they were quite 'skinny' IIRC. So I would imagine it would be possible for it to bend in the lock.

A question that's haunted for 20 years: "Where's Jodi?"

http://www.dglobe.com/news/crime/3771969-question-thats-haunted-20-years-wheres-jodi

Mason City police have received thousands of tips on Huisentruit’s disappearance over the years, and they continue to trickle in. Police Lt. Rich Jensen said the department still gets one to three a month.

“We expect that with the 20th anniversary, we will get more,” Jensen said. “It’s like any anniversary — it stirs people’s emotions. We’re waiting for the call. We’re hoping that there will be a day we’re in the courtroom, and somebody will be held accountable.”

Whoever did this must have covered their tracks very well.

Moo.

Good Morning all----found this thread and have been very interested in what happened to Jodi--------so many great ideas and insights which is not a shock.
I have just a bean or two to toss out-----I wondered if the stalker felt "content" or satisfied or may have been away (prison, out of the country) and thats why activity may have eased off. And secondly----I hope that all evidence was kept safe---anything in her bedroom----pillowcases, sheets, blankets and was her diary intact--missing pages.
Was there a news story that she was investigating? Total long shot I know....

She wasn't an investigative reporter. If someone got rid of her in order to silence her, it would have most likely been because of something she learned inadvertently through her social circles.

One very tantalizing piece of evidence is that she supposedly called out someone's name around the time she was attacked, but the police haven't said what name it was that she called out, and she may have been mistaken in assuming that the attacker was the person she thought it was.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...di-huisentruit-missing-twenty-years/29168409/

"The FindJodi team includes former WCCO-TV reporter Caroline Lowe and retired Woodbury police Cmdr. Jay Alberio. The two met last month at Alberio's house in Woodbury to compare notes on a convicted serial rapist who's serving a life sentence in Minnesota, someone they believe should be a "person of interest" in the case. That man was 21 at the time of Huisentruit's disappearance and was living just two blocks from KIMT — a fact Lowe and Alberio say shouldn't be overlooked.

"We don't know if he is involved," Lowe said. "We, to this day, don't know, but if you think of a person living that close who is capable of very violent stuff, he had to be investigated."

Despite Lowe's and Alberio's suspicions, Mason City police say no link between the convicted rapist andHuisentruit has ever been found."

One very tantalizing piece of evidence is that she supposedly called out someone's name around the time she was attacked, but the police haven't said what name it was that she called out, and she may have been mistaken in assuming that the attacker was the person she thought it was.

Interesting, I haven't heard this before. My first thought was that she would call out to someone for HELP...not call out the person's name attacking her. Maybe there were 2 people, and she called out the name of the other person there to help her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikysweety