GUILTY ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow, Tylee Ryan, Tammy Daybell *Arrests* #77

Start at about 9:28 to hear what Nate Eaton has to say about the Chad Daybell case.

There has been talk of a plea deal, from both sides, but as of today, nothing has been reached.

They also talked about CD wanting cameras in the courtroom because he has his own story/ version of events to tell.

I think he will stand by his innocence, try to establish his martyrdom, and attempt to rehabilitate his former prophet status. I envision that he will act all sanctimonious and portal-worthy but won't hesitate to throw both LV and AC under the bus.

I hope the State is better prepared this time since they already got a practice run under their belts (please no re-writing charges in the ninth hour). I think JP is doing a good job for his client, but I am not sure how many times I can listen to him say "but frankly, Your Honor..." without yelling at the livestream or banging my head on my desk.
MOO

I'm thinking a plea deal. But I predicted that for Lori too and I was wrong.
But, maybe he sees it's hopeless after Lori's conviction. I'm wondering if Defense offered plea to take death penalty off the table and state said no.

Chad may figure he might be in a prison closer to his family if he only gets life, IDK.

Chad has little to offer in a plea deal. All that is in it for the State is saving the expenses of the trial. Yet even the savings he could offer pale compared to the savings he could have offered if, for instance, he had testified against Lori and had not made the State prepare for his separate trial ever.

It would be a savings but very unsatisfying for the prosecution, IMO, to drop out of the case during the last stages. There is a psychological value to winning the prosecution at trial.

I also find it hard to believe that Chad is willing to admit any guilt in Tammy's murder. I think he'd only be willing to offer no fight against the charges. (Different states have different rules about such a plea, if it is even possible. Some states have a "no contest," plea, which means you submit that the prosecution is going to win its case and you don't care to fight, but you are not admitting guilt. I don't know about Idaho. If it is not possible in Idaho, I can't imagine Chad to admit out loud that Tammy was murdered at all, let alone that he did it.)

I find it hard to believe that Chad will admit to much wrong doing at all in Tylee and JJ's murders. He will probably claim his wrong doing was being seduced and deceived. Which is laughable. In all the relationships I know about between Lori and another person, Lori has been by far the more manipulative, abusive and violent with only one exception: her relationship with Chad. Only Chad managed to be worse to Lori than she was to him. She is fully guilty and went for the murdering ride willingly, in my opinion and the jury's, but Chad was more manipulative to Lori than Lori was to him. (And both, of course, were worse to Tammy, Tylee, JJ and Charles than they were to each other.)

I can't imagine a plea deal because I don't see the level of responsibility I imagine Chad being willing to take being a draw to the State. Nor do I see the smaller impact when he no longer can testify against a co-defendant a draw. Nor do I see the financial savings to the prosecution so late in the process appealing to the State, especially when the spending remaining is on the most satisfying part of the process. It's like saying, I'll do x and you won't have to spend your $$$ on your dream vacation v. I'll do x and you won't have to spend the same sum visiting your least favorite people. The savings are the same either way, but the expense feels worth it when it is what you want to do.

We will see, of course. But at the moment, I'm betting against a plea deal.

MOO

But, maybe he sees it's hopeless after Lori's conviction. I'm wondering if Defense offered plea to take death penalty off the table and state said no.

Chad may figure he might be in a prison closer to his family if he only gets life, IDK.

I hope there is no plea deal.

imho if the Woodcocks & Tammy's family of origin agree to a plea, that plea is fine with me.

Not sure the prosecution asks?

Another trial would be expensive, and imho, unlikely to bring out much that we don't already know.

Sure won't return Tylee, JJ, Charles, and Tammy to the people who love them.

jmho

That's assuming any of his family want to visit him.

I also find it hard to believe that Chad is willing to admit any guilt in Tammy's murder. I think he'd only be willing to offer no fight against the charges. (Different states have different rules about such a plea, if it is even possible. Some states have a "no contest," plea, which means you submit that the prosecution is going to win its case and you don't care to fight, but you are not admitting guilt. I don't know about Idaho. If it is not possible in Idaho, I can't imagine Chad to admit out loud that Tammy was murdered at all, let alone that he did it.)
SBM. Idaho has an Alford plea:

A person who enters an Alford plea admits that the evidence the prosecutor would present at trial would be enough to prove the person guilty, but the defendant does not admit to committing the crime like they do in a standard plea of guilty.

Maybe Chad thinks he can have his cake (avoid the DP) and eat it, too (not admit his guilt, keeping his children on his side).

imho if the Woodcocks & Tammy's family of origin agree to a plea, that plea is fine with me.

Not sure the prosecution asks?

Another trial would be expensive, and imho, unlikely to bring out much that we don't already know.

Sure won't return Tylee, JJ, Charles, and Tammy to the people who love them.

jmho
Didn't Larry Woodcock say in his latest interview with Nate Eaton that he hoped for life without parole for Chad?

Didn't Larry Woodcock say in his latest interview with Nate Eaton that he hoped for life without parole for Chad?

Woodcock hopes Daybell is given life without parole.

“There are certain things in life I think are worse than death. Life in prison without the possibility of ever getting out and dying in prison may be worse than death,” Woodcock says. “I certainly don’t wish him the
best.”

SBM. Idaho has an Alford plea:

A person who enters an Alford plea admits that the evidence the prosecutor would present at trial would be enough to prove the person guilty, but the defendant does not admit to committing the crime like they do in a standard plea of guilty.

Maybe Chad thinks he can have his cake (avoid the DP) and eat it, too (not admit his guilt, keeping his children on his side).
Could be he hopes for exactly that.

Thanks for adding the information and vocabulary of an Alford plea to the thread. It is exactly what I was referring to, and I lost the word, thus couldn't figure out how to google to find if it exists in Idaho.

But it would not be enough for Chad to wish to not be tried with an Alford plea. The prosecution would have to make an agreement that they would not try him if he did not fight the charges.

My guess is they wouldn't make such a deal. I guess that the prosecution would only accept an unequivocal guilty plea to agree not to bring him to trial. I also guess that Chad would be unwilling to give an unequivocal guilty plea for any of the murders, so I conclude my speculative musings with: a plea deal isn't coming.

I could be very wrong, of course.

I agree with @Laughing and probably many others here: I hope the survivors of these murders are comfortable with the outcome of this case.

MOO

I don't necessarily want to see Chad put to death, I have reservations about that. But I would like to see him given the death penalty, and then spend years of stress on death row, wondering if and when it will happen.

I don't necessarily want to see Chad put to death, I have reservations about that. But I would like to see him given the death penalty, and then spend years of stress on death row, wondering if and when it will happen.
I am against the death penalty in all cases. Just my moral code. I judge no one for disagreeing. But I understand your feeling. I think life without possibility of parole is awful enough without giving in to our own murderous instincts. Life without worshippers will be hell on earth for him.

*Jury Selection set to begin (Questionnaire Process) (@ 10:30am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen Sept. 23, 2019 & Tylee on Sept. 9, 2019, Rexburg; found June 9, 2020 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) & Tamara “Tammy” Michelle Douglas Daybell (49) (died on Oct. 19, 2019 at her residence in Salem, ID; dob 5/4/70). – *Chad Guy Daybell (53/now 55) arrested (6/9/20) & indicted (5/25/21) & charged (5/26/21) & arraigned (6/9/21) with Count 1 (for Tylee): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception (for Daybell, Vallow & Alex Cox) & other co-conspirators. Count 2 (for Tylee): 1st degree murder. Count 3 (for JJ): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception. Count 4 (for JJ): 1st degree murder. Count 5 (for Tammy, 49, died 10/19/19): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder. Count 6 (for Tammy): 1st degree murder. Count 8 & 9: Insurance Fraud (Two counts of insurance fraud related to 2 different life insurance policies he had on Tammy). Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP. (Judge denied removing DP 3/14/24).
Trial set to begin on 4/1/24 with final jury selection. Trial will be held in Ada County.
Jury will be sequestered during deliberations in the guilt phase thru the penalty phase. There will be 18 jurors/6 alternates.
Court hours are 8:30am to 3pm Monday-Friday.
Judge Steven W. Boyce presiding. Prosecutors: Lindsey Blake & Rachel Smith & defense attorney John Prior.

Previous charges, Grand jury indictment & Court info from 6/10/20 thru 2/22/24 reference post #482 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bell-charles-vallow-arrests-77.686529/page-25

3/7/24 Update: Order: losing Hearing & Sealing Record. On 3/8/24 the court will call for hearing serveral motions filed 3/4/24. Closed hearing as prosecutors motion to exclude a recording of Summer Shiflet, Lori Vallow's sister. Also a \state motion to exclude Dr. James Davidson as an expert. Motions are sealed. State also wants its prosecutor Rob Wood excluded as a witness.
3/11/24 Docket update: Notice of Service filed by Prior. [will submitted to prosecuting attorney on 5/11/24 his Disclosure o Trial Witnesses & Trial exhibits]. State's Notice of Response to Notice of Alibi filed by Lindsey Blake. [State has supplied counsel for the defendant of the State's response to Notice of Alibi]. State's Notice of witness & exhibit list.
3/11/24 Docket update: Order appointing Special Assistant Attorney General [Dep. Attorney General Ingrid Batey] signed by Judge Steven Boyce.
3/12/24 Docket update: State's Motion re: exhibits. [exhibits from Vallow-Daybell trial made available to defense].
3/13/24 Update: Judge Boyce denied Daybell's request to remove the possibility of him being sentenced to death if found guilty, state "punishment shall be determined by the jury".
3/14/24 Docket Update: State's Motion to Seal. [a motion to seal its Motion to Clarify. State's Motion to Seal. [a motion to seal its Motion to Compel]. State's Motion to Seal. [a motion to seal its Second Motion in Limine & Brief in support of Motion for Introduction of Statements of Tammy Daybell]. State's Motion to Seal. [a motion to seal its Supplemental Authority for State's Motion in Limine for intro of statement of Tammy Daybell]. State's Motion to Seal. [a motion to seal its Motion for Limiting Instruction. [sealing documents during criminal investigation is in the best interest of justice & preserve the right to a fair trial].
3/14/24 Docket update: Order. An Order temporarily sealing the witness & exhibit lists. Order. Authorizing Review of Questionnaire. Order. DENYING Motion without hearing. [State's Motion to Clarify the Order denying Counsel's Motion to Withdraw as counsel for defendant]. Order. Excluding witnesses. [witnesses shall be excluded from observing or listening to other witnesses' testimony during trial; except for a witness who meets definition of a "crime victim"]. Order. Sealing witness/exhibit lists. Order to Seal State's Motion for limiting instructions. Order to seal State's Motion to Compel. Order to seal State's second Motion in Limine & Brief in support of motion for introduction of statements of Tammy Daybell. Order to seal State's Motion to Clarify. All signed by Judge Boyce.
3/15/24 Docket Update: Order. [As part of the administrative process of this trial, before voir dire begins, questionnaires will be distributed to & completed by jurors at the Ada County Courthouse]. Order. [with regard to juror voir dire process & in order to promote open court proceedings, limited public access will be provided]. Signed by Judge Boyce. Per Judge Steven Boyce the trial will be livestreamed when it begins in two weeks but those wishing to attend the Ada County Courthouse in person must abide by an administrative order.
3/21/24 Update: Jurors who received summons will be heading to the courthouse next week, Monday, 3/25/24 to fill out questionnaires, which help the Court determine the suitability to serve on the jury. For those jurors who have not been disqualified after filling out the questionnaire, they will be expected to return to the courthouse 4/1/24, for voir dire, a process in which each side will get approximately ten peremptory strikes until the final panel is seated. Judge Boyce is looking to seat a panel of 18 jurors, including six alternates, from a pool of about 50 jurors. Schedule: @ 10:30am Lawyers arrive, 11:am Jury arrives, 2pm Lunch break (30-45 minutes) & 5pm-5:30pm recess. The jury will be sequestered for deliberations in the guilt phase of Chad’s trial through the duration of the penalty phase, should there be one. Should the jury find him guilty of one or more murder charges, the jury will then determine whether Chad will face the death penalty as the ultimate punishment. Daybell has been transferred to Ada County Jail from the Fremont County jail for trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv
Back