IL IL - April Zane, 16, Frankfort, 18 April 1976

A history of running away is patent. The scars, three of them, should be an excellent indicator but so far have drawn a blank on UIDs from surrounding states - and far more talented, committed sleuthers than me have searched. Chicago would have been her destination, but whether she got there is anybody's guess.

I know on DoeNetwork it was thought she could be Princess Doe. Not sure what became of that, I personally do not believe she is.

I know on DoeNetwork it was thought she could be Princess Doe. Not sure what became of that, I personally do not believe she is.

Really? Would have thought that was a straightforward enough rule out given the lack of scars on Princess Doe's body and the fact that her appendix was intact.

What do people think of this?

*Warning Morgue Photo at link*
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5066

Entered in some stats for April there and found this about halfway up the list. I didn't think it was even worth a look at first because this decedent is a very well known UID on this site. Decided to have a look anyway and they have a lot more in common than I first thought.

The general stats (height, weight, eyes) are all good. What gave me goosebumps though is the scars.

April Zane:
Scar on her right hip from appendectomy
scar on her right knee
scar on her chin

Jane Doe:
Scars on left-right jaw line
3/4" ircular scar on right knece

The problems as far as I can see them are the fact that Jane Doe had given birth, the faces are hard to compare due to the trauma and the unlikely nature of April being away 9 years without contacting her family.

Apologies if I've missed some glaringly obvious cause for rule-out, it's past midnight and I'm very tired, but would love to hear what you guys think about this as a possible match (albeit an admittedly unlikely one)

What do people think of this?

*Warning Morgue Photo at link*
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5066

Entered in some stats for April there and found this about halfway up the list. I didn't think it was even worth a look at first because this decedent is a very well known UID on this site. Decided to have a look anyway and they have a lot more in common than I first thought.

The general stats (height, weight, eyes) are all good. What gave me goosebumps though is the scars.

April Zane:
scar on her right knee
scar on her chin

Jane Doe:
Scars on left-right jaw line
3/4" ircular scar on right knece

The problems as far as I can see them are the fact that Jane Doe had given birth, the faces are hard to compare due to the trauma and the unlikely nature of April being away 9 years without contacting her family.

Apologies if I've missed some glaringly obvious cause for rule-out, it's past midnight and I'm very tired, but would love to hear what you guys think about this as a possible match (albeit an admittedly unlikely one)

I think you did a fantastic job!
The scars give me goosebumps too. And there are so many other similarities between the two cases... height, hair color, eye color.

I also agree that 9 yrs is a long time for April Rose to not be in contact with her family. But what if she was abducted against her will and held for a number of years before being murdered.

I think this is a great match!

I agree, this is a good match, many times composites aren't right on because of the trauma. Scars don't lie though.

I've just sent it in to Lt. Smith of Saline County there. The worst that can happen is April gets ruled out as being this decedent.

EDIT: Having just looked on the UIDs thread, I've found that April was THE first missing person suggested on it and from what I can gather she was submitted to Doenetwork, so in all likelihood LE is probably well aware of this potential match

Awesome!
Please let us know what becomes of this.

Lt. Smith replied to me today. April was very extensively investigated as being this decedent by him 7-8 years ago but he's been hamstrung by a) the fact that very few written reports were taken at the time of her disappearnce, b) her dental records can't really be compared with the decedent's as so much work could have been done in the intevening years and c) as they have no fingerprints on file for April.

Hence April is marked in the decedent's case file as "unable to dismiss" :banghead:

The Lt. was appreciative of the interest in the case and reiterated his desire to someday bring closure to this case. Very glad that there's an investigator like him on this case. That said I am absolutely gutted at this news as it seems as though every avenue of identification is sealed off. I will ask him what the state of play is with DNA as I believe her sister mentioned having given a sample in her first post.

:/ so disappointing, i wish america would see the issue of missing kids is a big deal. Kids should have an ID kit done yearly, mandatory. You think they'd do that by now.

Having asked about the possibility of a DNA match, Lt. Smith has informed me that there's a problem with the way the DNA was extracted from the decedent so they have to find a way to "reintroduce it". It's basically in the hands of the KBI laboratory and he's indicated that he'll be trying to follow up on it.

I really hope the DNA is "reintroduced" (no idea what it means, despite doing a science-ish degree) and soon!

I hope the same, I don't want to see this case "unable to be dismissed." I don't want any of these case to go to the books, even though I know in some scenarios, that may be how it stays.

April Rose Zane
Missing since April 18, 1977 from Frankfort, Will County, Illinois
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: February 25, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"-5'6"; 115-120 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark auburn hair; blue-grey/green eyes. She has a long back which makes her appear tall. April has freckles on her face.
Marks, Scars: Scar on her right hip from appendectomy; scar on her right knee; scar on her chin.
Clothing: Last seen wearing a brown flannel jacket.
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Zane was last seen in Frankfort, Illinois on April 18, 1977. (It is possible that she went missing the year prior - 1976). She was going into town to visit a friend. She never made it to the friends' house and was never heard from again.

April had a record of running away from home, but always turned up later. She was found several times in the Chicago land area and arrested for curfew violation.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Frankfort Police Department
815-469-9435

Agency Case Number: M08A6669

NCIC Number: M-597208598

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The Doe Network
NCMEC
NamUs
The Doe Network: Case File 1404DFIL

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1404dfil.html

Today marks 35 years since April Zane went missing.

Hi this is Sharonrose,April's sister.I wanted to give you an update since it has been so long.My DNA sample was given to the National Database in Aug.2008,and one of my children submitted his this August to help in my search for my sister.I have a very supportive husband,and children who encourage me as do the folks at Bravenet,Porchlight,and the fine people here at Websleuths,who also give me hope and strength to carry on. I was reading the above,an answer to the questionf of the date,according to Frankfort police it was 1977,I remember it as Easter Sunday,and my dad's birthday,a double holiday.I am hoping to do a walk for April,in her honor,and hoping to someday put up a memorial for her dedicated to her and all the kids that didn't make it home.It will read "Always Loved ,Always Missed,Never Forgotten."

Oh and by the way,I did have an age progression done for April,thanks to the help of a person on April's case via the National database who made it possible.He, along with the Frankfort P.D. make me feel that April will be found,she and I are lucky to have them.Ya know it is funny,I look at immediate family members who are older than April and myself,and they won't lift a finger to help try to find her.Yet that finger likes to point at other people in my family who are no longer with us.I would think that if they feel that stongly,maybe it might have helped if they had said something when these people were alive. At least they would have been able to defend themselves. That's okay,everyday is just a day closer to the answer.

Welcome back, SharonRose. Thank you for answering the question regarding the year April went missing.

April's is a case that caught my attention because she resembled someone I knew back about the time April disappeared. Ages are off though, as this friend was about 5 years younger than April.

Hugs and prayers answers come soon.

Here are a few things I learned about missing person cases.If someone is on the Wittness protection program,the US MArshal does not reveal it to the missing persons family,and really doesn't have to contact missing persons sites.April was a runaway,was picked up for curfew,and was fingerprinted.Fingerprints were destroyed when she became an adult.Also she was at my grandmother's house earlier the day she went missing.If she was planning on disappearing she would have made a call from the landline-phones records would show what numbers were called from that house I would think.

Hi SharonRose, I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you on the anniversary of April's disappearance. I grew up in Frankfort and tinley park and your sisters story has deeply affected me. You are thought about, cared about, and are included in my prayers. I truly believe God will help you find the answers you need and deserve. From a fellow sister.

Thanks to SharonRose Zane for this link.

I-Team: Several Illinois children missing for more than 35 years

There are currently 25 cases of Illinois children who have been missing for a decade or more like three girls who were recently found in Cleveland.

[snip]

In 1977 Jimmy Carter was sworn in as president and that's the same year then 16-year-old April Zane disappeared.

She's been missing from south suburban Frankfort for 36 years.

Zane was going to visit a friend but never arrived and hasn't been seen since.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=9093935

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishman
Back