IL IL - Jaclyn Dowaliby, 7, Chicago, 10 Sept 1988

I would like to know why we've never heard before that the uncle was in jail. I think we would have if the finger was being pointed at him. My money is still on the uncle.

ETA: And from what I remember is was Jaclyn's biological father that was in jail, not the uncle.

if what i read so far is true about there "pot" party that night. cindy and dave is at least both guilty of being non-responsible parent's and court appointed guardian's..people has loss there kid's to the state pulling the same stupid trick's like that.. iam sorry but i been called to too many home's and mom and dad is stoned out of there mind and there kid has been laying in the floor serious injured for hour's..if they like it or not parent's are responsible for the welfare of there children...iam sorry but i see this happen too many times.

I never heard the uncle was in jail. I thought he admitted to it and new details.

This case was featured on a rerun of Unsolved Mysteries last night. I have really always had this case in my mind, as I was a child in the area at the time of her disappearance/murder. Has anything ever been found?

This story is just finishing up on Lifetime here (ends at 2 pm e.s.t.). ("Gone in the Night") I had heard of it before and forgot the details.

Reminds me of Jessica Lunsford, just being taken from her room in the middle of the night. Nobody ever finally convicted of the crime? How sad.

I was watching this today and thinking of jacklyn. Poor thing, bless her heart.

I found the video from Unsolved Mysteries on YouTube the other day.http://youtube.com/watch?v=OEwDMSSYmBM I personally think the uncle is involved in the crime. He had a coworker that lived in the apartment complex, where Jaclyn was found. A question that I have is how could no one have heard the person breaking the window? It also leads me to believe that Jaclyn knew her killer and didn't scream.

well not really sure where to start. I just happened to look up Jaclyn's name on google lastnight after watching phychic detectives on court tv. I was amazed and honestly freaked out on how many pages there were about her. I am a member of the family, and I guess I can try to answer some of the questions you all have had during the last couple years. She was from a small town called midlothian IL. She was 7 years old, and absolutely stunning. She was always so happy and full of life. We were only a couple years apart and grew up together. Jaclyn and I were very close I was an only child, she was all I had, we were cousins, but acted like sisters. The moments from the time we found out she was missing to the day we buried her will be burned into my memory forever. The years that followed werent much better, between media coverage and court issues, it was a very trying time for the whole family. Espically her parents, brother and infant sister. I will never forget the moment I answered the phone that morning and my aunt wanted to talk to my mom. I remember the sound of her voice and how terrified she sounded, I remember knowing something was wrong and sitting by my mom as she was told that she was missing. The next few moments I will regret probably for the rest of my life. My mom hung up the phone told me that Jaclyn was missing and I had to get ready quick we were going over there. I was only 9 years old and I remember laughing while I was looking for my shoes thinking to myself she was probably playing hide and seek. I still feel guilty for laughing to this day. I remember arriving there and there were cops all over, and walking in the house. It was the weirdest silence I have ever heard. It was at that moment that I realized there was no game of hide and seek, and that something was really wrong. There were so many people there yet you could have heard a pin drop. Every so often you could hear my aunt crying. I remember walking out of the house to the side where the broken basement window was and looking at the broken glass. There was a cop there picking up the pieces and stacking them to the side with his fingers. I remember thinking to myself "I wonder why he is touching that, wont he get cut?" Much of the next few days felt like an eternity, I passed out flyers we tied yellow ribbons around the trees, and my mom arranged that I stay with my father so I could get away from all of the media and stress. You couldnt turn on the tv without seeing her picture or hearing her story. Then that day came, I will never forget sitting in my grandmothers kitchen with my dad and his family. I remember the phone rang and my dad talked and hung up. He said we need to go to your aunts house, I remember feeling so briefly relieved and excited I couldnt wait to see Jaclyn. I of course asked all the obvious questions I remember his saying that he wasnt sure and that we would find out when we got there. I remember pulling up and my mom meeting us outside, I saw her face and I just knew something was wrong. She told me that shd had been found but that she was in heaven. I remember standing outside my aunts house on that lawn with my mom and dad hugging me while I wept. Later that night, I was in Jaclyns room hugging one of her dolls, and being told that I wasnt to go outside for anything, because it wasnt safe, and because there were news cameras all over. Over the next couple days I remember being so angry at the news people because I couldnt even go outside. The media was so bad that we were being literally shoved by the camera and media mob when we were leaving the church the day of the funeral. It was awful. Then of course was all the allegations about my aunt and uncle, and court trials. My family really was put through the ringer.

So I guess I should try to give answers to some of the posted questions.
As far as the "pot party theory" her parents passed the drug tests, which should say something. Also, I know it wasnt happening because I was supposed to spend the night at her house that night, but my mom had worked late and decided that she didnt feel like driving me at the last minute. I mean my bags were packed and I had just talked to Jaclyns mom.

Jaclyns biological father was in jail in florida at the time of the kidnapping. He was ruled out immediately because of that. His brother, the one with the mental disorder, was not in jail at the time. He had an alibi, but most of his witnesses later admitted to lying about it. He was documented stating very exact details of her room, and her body when it was found. Things that he would have had no way of knowing. However because of his mental illness, and the fact that the police were too distracted trying to cruicify my auny and uncle not much was looked into about him. He passed away a few years ago due to some form of cancer, prostate I think. At this point, even if he was the actual killer, it would be too late to do anything about it.

My aunt was accused of the murder but was aquitted, my uncle had to face trial and was convicted because there was the "nose witness" It was a dark parking lot, there was no moon that night, the man was quite some distance away, and had a record of mental illness. This man said he could see my uncles nose structure. To this day that still floors me, how could you possibly see anyones nose structure under those conditions. In addition, what kind of moron, would consider that credible evidence? I have a theory and this is a theory only, it was said that Jaclyns Uncle had a friend that lived in those apartments, who is to say the friend didnt put this guy(the nose witness) up to saying he saw something just to distract the police? Again this is just a theory...something to think about...but still a theory. My uncle's sentence was overturned and he was finally released once the state removed their heads from their rears and their noses from Daley's rear as well.

While I cant imagine how difficult it is to be an police officer, espically faced with something so horrible, these officers, states attorneys, people in office ect did my family and Jaclyn absolutely no justice. At the end of the day it was their lack of know how, lack of evidence and pressure to solve a case that failed Jaclyn and us all.

There is no closure or feeling of being at peace. How could there be a senseless tradjedy happened, and there will forever be a void in our lives. For so long I thought about her everyday, dwelled on it, blamed myself as time has went on those feelings have started to fade. I think about her all the time and I miss her like hell. It makes me sad that my husband never met her, that my children will never know her. That her own brother and sister have to be without the wisdom of an older sibling. I guess we are fortunate in some ways though, there are families out there that never find their loved ones, never know what happpened. Eventhough it surely wasnt the outcome any of us wanted, I thank God everyday that at least we know something. I do feel blessed for the time we did have together though short, it was better than nothing at all.

My truest and deepest feelings of sorrow go out to those families of a missing person, or that have lost a loved one. I pray that your questions be answered quickly and gently, that your loved ones return to you unharmed, that your sorrows are eased and finally that whoever is handling your investigations has at least half a brain and knows what they are doing!

I think my message is long enough, if there are any more questions I will be checking back often. I will answer what I can, I will not disclose any current personal information about my aunt uncle or Jaclyns siblings so please do not ask. Thank you all very much for not letting her memory die. The judicial system surely did.

AMF, Wow, I was thinking about your cousin's story with the recent disappearance with Hayleigh Cummings. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hi. I pulled out my research skills and did some work. David doesn't have a deceased brother, so I'm confused about the above 'note' from a niece of the family. Reading further into the case, David was convicted on a variety of evidence only partially an eyewitness. No record of the eyewitness having any mental illness info / background or issues.

Having mentioned these points, I never believed David was responsible. I do believe Jaclyn's mother was. I also believe David is most likely not aware that Cynthia maybe at fault. All of this of course is my opinion & based on research and some court records.

The last point regarding the legitimacy of the above note which I question greatly... is that Cynthia never went into a trial so therefore could never be 'acquitted' of anything. That is public record. Certainly that 'error' of information would not be passed around in the family that she actually was tried & acquitted.

Unsure if Cynthia was ever married to David. She currently goes by a different last name. The court record info I have however, shows a Cynthia M Dowaliby. But her current name is different. Perhaps they're divorced? Guess that doesn't have any bearing on the case though. This case has always fascinated me but I believe LE knows some of the answers and is satisfied they've done as much as they could have for this poor little girl.

Hi. I pulled out my research skills and did some work. David doesn't have a deceased brother, so I'm confused about the above 'note' from a niece of the family. Reading further into the case, David was convicted on a variety of evidence only partially an eyewitness. No record of the eyewitness having any mental illness info / background or issues.

Having mentioned these points, I never believed David was responsible. I do believe Jaclyn's mother was. I also believe David is most likely not aware that Cynthia maybe at fault. All of this of course is my opinion & based on research and some court records.

The last point regarding the legitimacy of the above note which I question greatly... is that Cynthia never went into a trial so therefore could never be 'acquitted' of anything. That is public record. Certainly that 'error' of information would not be passed around in the family that she actually was tried & acquitted.

Unsure if Cynthia was ever married to David. She currently goes by a different last name. The court record info I have however, shows a Cynthia M Dowaliby. But her current name is different. Perhaps they're divorced? Guess that doesn't have any bearing on the case though. This case has always fascinated me but I believe LE knows some of the answers and is satisfied they've done as much as they could have for this poor little girl.

Hi Patty, I will have to double check but I thought Cynthia was actually charged but cherges were dropped due to insufficent evidence (aquitted) or something along those lines.

The witnesses at the diner where the uncle was supposely placed, at a later time turned out to have lied about seeing him there. Therefore, leaving him no alibi.

I am not sure if you are familiar with Illinois but there are several LE agencies that have more than botched cases due to political gain and the media.
Tricia Pacico case Cook County Sheriff
Riley Fox Case Wilmington, IL
and the list goes on and on...

I do not think the mother did this or the father. I see the above statement from a cousin who was a young girl when all of this happend and who might not know proper terminology.

I mean no disrespect at all, just throwing out my opinon but I could be wrong :)

It was Jacklyn's biological father's brother that had the mental illness and later died (according to the above poster) not David's (Jacklyn's step father). Hope this cleared some confusion. I don't deny you to have an opinion about the case or whether the parents were involved. Just wanted to point out that the above poster was correct with that fact. I personally believe the parents were no way involved in this case and were wrongly and horribly judge.
dwb

If you watch the movie, Gone in the night, it is gut wrenching to see what this family endured. I high recommend watching it!

I live about 10 miles from where this occured, and being born in 1980, I was at the prime age during this tragedy to send my parents (and the parents of my playmates) into a tailspin over fear of another abduction.

I must say, when I looked up this case around 2000, it was with the initial feeling that David, the step-father, did it. (Merely based upon a gut feeling and probably subconsciously remembering the vibes I picked up on from the surrounding adults during the initial media frenzy).

After some research, I now think that the mother was involved. This is merely MOO, and I do not mean to disparage anyone else's opinion. I do not know if David was also involved, but I think it is likely.
I
I SOOO wish I could find the old media links where, when David was first arrested, Jaclyn's mother was interviewed and, understandably upset, yelling about how she wanted her husband back. She was visibly shaking and yelling, and the reporter commented on how she had now shown nearly as much emotion regarding her daughter. It was very telling. IMO her husband was her number one priority, and if he DID do something to Jaclyn, she would protect him at all costs.

I would love to see justice for Jaclyn, whatever that may be. What is, does anyone know, the final disposition of this case?

Bumping for Jacklyn. What a beautiful little girl. I wish this case could be solved.

Just saw a re-run of this case on TV.

Very sad, Mom and Dad seemed more upset by Dad's trial/jail time than they did talking about Jaclyn being missing, almost added her name to sentences to make sure it sounded sincere. JMO.

Anyway, any idea if this case is still open? I know David can't be tried again (double jeopardy, see: OJ Simpson) and it seems like the uncle is a prime target. Despite his being dead, has anyone in LE gone back and tried to match him as a potential suspect to the facts in the case. It seems that this case should be somewhat solvable.

Just saw a re-run of this case on TV.

Very sad, Mom and Dad seemed more upset by Dad's trial/jail time than they did talking about Jaclyn being missing, almost added her name to sentences to make sure it sounded sincere. JMO.

Anyway, any idea if this case is still open? I know David can't be tried again (double jeopardy, see: OJ Simpson) and it seems like the uncle is a prime target. Despite his being dead, has anyone in LE gone back and tried to match him as a potential suspect to the facts in the case. It seems that this case should be somewhat solvable.

This family lost their child, faced her death, and had their time of grief interrupted and tainted by the fact that LE became convinced very early on that Mom and Dad were involved. The parents knew they were innocent and felt persecuted. Not only were they having to grieve and face trial for something they did not do, they also lost custody of another child, didn't they? And the tunnel vision developed by LE insured that whoever WAS guilty wasn't even being looked for. I think it is entirely understandable that they speak of the trial and jail time with anger and bitterness.

I totally disagree that they "added Jacklyn's name to sentences to make it sound sincere."

A very tough case to figure out. I lived in Elmhurst at the time and followed this case. Still do. At the time, David (the step-father) made some statements that didn't quite add up. Investigators did prove that the window where Jacqueline was taken was broken from the inside, not the outside. But I always remember him (David) insisting that that window was broken from the outside. This is a very important piece of evidence that has gone overlooked. Would most people like to have seen more sympathy from both parents? Yeah, but as the cliche goes... everybody acts different under different circumstances. I think that's BS. I've read this whole thread and different views. My PERSONAL, no offense to others, take on it is that the mom slapped her, hit her, or something that killed her... and David got rid of the problem. My other take is that David was molesting Jacqueline and her mother saw it. A decision was made then and there. I could be wrong I suppose. Eerily similar to the JonBenet Ramsey case, what 9 years before.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back