IL IL - John Spira, 45, DuPage County, 23 Feb 2007

News I'm hearing today is nothing was found in this weekend's searches. No news on whether the 'undisclosed location' for today was searched or not.

I love that Clear Channel has so many billboards going for John Spira right now. I drove past where his former office was and always admired the banner that was up to remind people that he was gone and hope whoever did this cannot escape the stare of his eyes in the banner's photo. His sister has done and amazing job keeping this story in the press. John is chapter in the Chicago's Unsolved Crimes & Mysteries: Bryan W. Alaspa: 9780764343117 book.

I just saw it for the first time, then came and read this thread. I can't believe LE did not fully investigate the soon to be ex and the partner. Its so obvious!

I thought so, too, but sometimes Disappeared is intentionally leading. I just feel for his family...it's time to bring John home.

I'm curious if the forest preserves on Geneva Road between County Farm and Route 59 were ever searched. The forest preserves are so expansive and so close to John's business location.

I also wonder if LE ever used cadaver dogs at the business location on County Farm. Though, I wonder how the fire might effect the effectiveness of a search with cadaver dogs. It would be remiss for LE to have not used cadaver dogs in the building and all company vehicles as well as the other owners and employee's vehicles.

This case is one of about a handful that I always find myself looking at every now and again for possible updates. I'm bothered by the fact that LE considered this case a “walk-away", apparently refusing to consider all of the incredibly strange factors that I believe point to foul play.
Spira's family obviously works very hard keeping the search for him alive and has done a wonderful job maintaining their website. Upon which, they've written a thought provoking statement detailing their reasons for considering this case a homicide. IMO, whatever tragidy befell Spira occurred at his place of business, and that suspiciously missing roll of plastic sheeting played a part in the crime. I've also always wondered if maybe the fire was an attempt to destroy evidence.
In any case, I'll continue to keep this family in my thoughts and hope they get the answers they're searching for.

Drove past John's business tonight as I do on occasion. I always think of him. One day we'll find you, John!

new to this case, but how terrible that LE considered this a walk-away!

From my googling, I can see that his ex died, but does anyone know how? Suicide from guilt or maybe business partner killer her too (so she didn't talk), or was it natural causes?

Hi, Faith, thanks for posting this. I was going to reflexively say that it was natural causes, because I thought I read that somewhere (getting old), but I did a bit of searching and realized there has been no public announcement as to the cause. No autopsy published or mentioned that I can find. Based on this, my hunch is that it was suicide. I've notice from several missing cases where bodies are later found, and no other official releases happen, the grapevine usually indicates it was suicide. I think the authorities don't come out and say that to protect the privacy of the family. I guess it could be that they have a homicide investigation quietly going, but there's usually some statement from law enforcement that at least gives a hint....Sorry to ramble!

Lawn enforcement is still looking for information. I work in a financial institution and subscribe to an alert network. There was a recent request to financial institutions to contact the sender for a subpoena if we had any accounts or loans with John or his deceased wife.

Lawn enforcement is still looking for information. I work in a financial institution and subscribe to an alert network. There was a recent request to financial institutions to contact the sender for a subpoena if we had any accounts or loans with John or his deceased wife.

Is there a way for you to know with certainty it is LE seeking financial information? It will be 8 years next month that John has been missing and perhaps the alert/request you saw was related to either having John declared deceased, or some kind of financial adjustments to a family trust or will?

It was a crimedex alert. The contact info for the alert was law enforcement

Hi all, just a thought, perhaps the request for financial information might have something to do with having John declared legally dead? I also just re-watched this case last night (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yta8XU0SPw) and wondered if anyone knows the date that his divorce would be finalized, in other words, what would be the first day his ex would have no longer been 'next of kin'? Also, anyone hear of cadaver dogs ever being use in the business location before it was burned?

Sister of Missing St. Charles Man Says Predatory Grifter Tried Scamming Her For Reward Money
The sister of missing man John Spira said the alleged scammer contacted her through Facebook.
The sister of a St. Charles man missing for more than eight years said a predatory grifter tried scamming her for reward money.

Stephanie McNeil, sister of missing man John Spira, said she was contacted through Facebook by a woman claiming to be from New Zealand.

“I believe that you are looking for your brother? And I believe there is a US$10,000 reward for anyone that finds him,” the woman, identified as “Karina Coogan,” said in her message. Coogan sent McNeil the Facebook message on the eighth anniversary of her brother’s February 2007 disappearance.

“Could you please let me know what the exact terms of the reward are,” the message said. “Sorry to sound so mercenary, I am not. But I am sick of people saying they offer rewards and then not pay out on them.”
http://patch.com/illinois/napervill...atory-grifter-tried-scamming-her-reward-money

Just saw this on "Disappeared" this morning----looking forward to reading this thread!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cashmeoutside
Back