IL IL - Tammy Zywicki, 21, La Salle, 23 Aug 1992

"The day before the 25th anniversary of the kidnapping and murder of Tammy Zywicki, the FBI announced a $50,000 reward for help solving the case and are retesting evidence with modern DNA technology.

Tammy Zywick, a 21-year-old college student, disappeared while driving from her New Jersey home to Iowa's Grinnell College for her senior year of school.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-25-year-old-murder-case.html#ixzz4qXFwuSZU

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.JPG

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/tammy-zywicki-cold-case-homicide
August 22, 2017
rbbm.
Cold Case Homicide
Law Enforcement Hopes Advances in Technology Can Help Solve Tammy Zywicki's Murder
This week marks the 25th anniversary of the tragic kidnapping and murder of Tammy Zywicki, but the FBI and the Illinois State Police have never stopped searching for the young woman’s killer—and they are actively pursuing new investigative strategies that could help solve the case.

On August 23, 1992, Zywicki was a 21-year-old college senior who played sports and was passionate about photography. She had driven her brother to college in Evanston, Illinois, and was on her way to Iowa, where she was in her final year at Grinnell College. Her mother called the Illinois State Police that night to report that her daughter had never arrived.

That afternoon, Zywicki’s car—a 1985 Pontiac T1000—was found abandoned by a state trooper on Interstate 80 near Utica, Illinois. At the time, it was reported that a tractor/trailer was seen near Zywicki’s vehicle, and the trucker was described as a white male about 40 years old, over six feet tall, with dark, bushy hair.
Nine days later, Zywicki’s body, stabbed and possibly strangled, was found wrapped in a sheet and blanket and bound in duct tape—nearly 500 miles away in Missouri.

Advances in DNA testing mean that the same evidence—the blanket, sheet, and duct tape Zywicki was wrapped in, shoelaces found at the scene, and other significant items—could reveal the killer’s DNA.

“I’m hopeful this new technology will help us,” Padilla said. “I am convinced the DNA and the suspect are in the case file. It’s just a question of finding them.”

Some of Tammy’s personal property is known to be missing, including a Cannon 35mm camera, a musical wristwatch with an umbrella on the face, and a distinctive patch issued by Zywicki’s soccer team for only one year. The patch was missing from the shorts she was wearing.

If the killer kept the soccer patch, camera, or watch, Becker explained, a tip from someone who recognized the items could help lead to his capture. “There continues to be a $50,000 reward offered in this case,” she added. “Even after 25 years, a concerned citizen doing the right thing can help us solve this case.”
attachment.php

Attachments

• tammy-j.-zywicki.gif
    tammy-j.-zywicki.gif
    53 KB · Views: 98
Well, I guess the newest FBI info answers our DNA questions. Hopefully the newest technology will finally solve this case.

It's hard to believe it's been 25 years. Praying this is the last anniversary without answers and justice for Tammy.

There is one interesting thing I noted about the new information that the ISP & FBI released re: The St. Giles Soccer Club patch. When Tammy's body was discovered on Sept. 1, 1992, that patch was discovered to have been torn off of the cut-off sweatpants she was wearing. St. Giles is a saint that is commemorated by both the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Church of England, and is considered to be the founder / patron saint of the Church of Scotland. However, out of the three, only the Church of England and the Eastern Orthodox Churches have a Feast on their liturgical calendar for St. Giles. The date of the feast? September 1st (new calendar) - the same day Tammy's body was discovered alongside I-44 in Missouri. Amazing coincidence, or was the recovery site staged by the perpetrator to be discovered on The Feast of St. Giles? The random probability of Tammy being found on Sept. 1 (1/365) and the random probability of the St. Giles patch being the one patch out of four possible patches on the cut-offs that turns up missing is ~0.05%. IMHO, I think the perpetrator staged the recovery scene and was watching the event unfold.

The suspect that died, is the one that helped her, lived there, had a record? Can't his dba be found, or familial dna?

Getting his DNA is really a moot point if they can't get a good sample from Tammy or stuff recovered at the crime scenes. And they did collect hair and blood samples from Lonnie Bierbrodt when he was questioned in 1993. So, they might already have his DNA (if they haven't lost the samples he provided), but it still would do no good until they find a good DNA profile to compare it to.

Tammy is mentioned in the following article, along with a name of a new possible suspect. Thoughts on Larry D. Hall as a possible suspect in Tammy's case?

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article170957482.html

Actually wondered about the badge stolen from Tammy and thought that was something a student/teen might take, but now thinking that LDH was mentally slow, maybe he did take it after all. Wonder if he was asked about that because he would remember it, imo.

A look at the unsolved Tammy Zywicki slaying

Aug. 23 marks the 15th anniversary of the disappearance of Tammy Zywicki, whose slaying remains unsolved. Here are a few facts about the case:

snip

WITNESS ACCOUNTS: Zywicki was last seen with her car at I-80's mile marker 83, between 3:10 p.m. and 4 p.m. the day she disappeared. A tractor-trailer was seen parked behind her vehicle. The truck's driver was described as a white man between 35 and 40 years old, over 6 feet tall, with dark, bushy hair.

THE LATEST: Investigators are scrutinizing whether there's any link between the Zywicki case and Bruce Mendenhall, a man from Albion, Ill., who police say has confessed to six killings in several states, Zywicki's not among them. Mendenhall was arrested last month at a truck stop in Nashville, Tenn.

I was unaware police never recovered the watch. If police believe Bierbodt is responsible but never had enough to bring the case to trial, why wouldn't they say so now that Bierbodt is deceased and call the case solved?

I would love to know what LE has stated about Bierbodt to Tammy's mother, and I would love to know why it was believed their wasn't enough to bring this to trial.

Bierbodt seems like a slam dunk in this case......

http://thesouthern.com/news/local/m...cle_68a6dcd0-d8fa-11e1-aaef-0019bb2963f4.html

Actually wondered about the badge stolen from Tammy and thought that was something a student/teen might take, but now thinking that LDH was mentally slow, maybe he did take it after all. Wonder if he was asked about that because he would remember it, imo.

I think Larry Hall is a red herring. I tend to think Bierbrodt is the perp. I would like to know whether James Cruz has an alibi. He was convicted of murdering one girl, Dawn Marie Birnbaum, but LE suspects that he had other victims.
http://murderpedia.org/male.C/c/cruz-james-robert.htm

Getting his DNA is really a moot point if they can't get a good sample from Tammy or stuff recovered at the crime scenes. And they did collect hair and blood samples from Lonnie Bierbrodt when he was questioned in 1993. So, they might already have his DNA (if they haven't lost the samples he provided), but it still would do no good until they find a good DNA profile to compare it to.
It was mentioned, in several news articles, that one of the suspects wive's has a watch just like Tammy's. If authorities could examine that watch, they should check the watch band. If any of her blood got on the watchband, it would have her dna trapped within it. That would prove it's Tammy's watch. It would also further implicate that suspect since his wife would be in possession of that watch.

I remember this case. I grew up in Springfield, MO. Tammy's body was dumped along I-44 stretch between Springfield and Joplin. The summer of 1992 saw the disappearence of three women from Springfield and the area was still reeling from that when Tammy's body turned up. At first it was speculated it was one of the three missing women as it matched the description of Suzi Streeter one of the missing women - those women have never been found. There is an extensive thread about them here in the spotlight forum.

Here are some additional links about Tammy:

http://crime.about.com/od/unsolved/p/zywicki.htm

http://www.iowacoldcases.com/tammy_zywicki.html

TheCanDo: Coincidences: Tammy Zywicki case

15 years later, still no justice for Tammy

Bump.

I spent hours last night looking for an image of their old trucks and logo to no avail. I remember the trucks as big delivery trucks but not 18 wheelers. They were white and the name was written in orange as S Abraham & Sons, perhaps even orange accentuated with yellow and red, not the current shorter logo SAS. The trucks were mostly white with the name and graphic diagonal lines.

I'm sure Tammy's family has never forgotton her and have empty hearts to this day. I pray they can find closure.

Bump.

Reports indicate that during the 90's he worked for Marten Transport, which is headquartered in Wisconsin. For some years he lived about 40 minutes away from that HQ, before moving back to the Waterloo area at some point.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fortypoundcat
Back