IL IL - The Unidentified Victims of John Wayne Gacy

Was this boy even reported missing?

Looks like not until recently. The article I read earlier today said his brother and sister came forward within the last year. I am guessing by 'came forward' they mean they went to police to inquire about their brother.

Looks like not until recently. The article I read earlier today said his brother and sister came forward within the last year. I am guessing by 'came forward' they mean they went to police to inquire about their brother.

No:
Haakenson's mother had come to Chicago in 1979 to try to learn whether her son was one of Gacy's victims. But since she did not have Haakenson's dental records — then the main method of identifying remains — the identification could not be made, Dart said.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...yne-gacy-victim-haakenson-20170719-story.html

Does anyone know how many more were unidentified? I am glad this boy was inidentified after all these years

I'm glad another victim has been id'd as none deserve to be forgotten. Prayers said for Jimmy's loved ones.

I did notice CCSO has not yet updated their website indicating which of the remaining remains belonged to Jimmy. Hopefully that site will be updated soon.

http://www.cookcountysheriff.com/sheriffs_police/gacy/gacy.html

I'm still trying to figure out which case number has been id'd.

Remaining NamUs case numbers:

Does anyone know how many more were unidentified? I am glad this boy was inidentified after all these years

There were 8 unidentified when Cook County put out the presser back in 2011(?). As of today, there are still 6 unidentified victims.

I'm glad another victim has been id'd as none deserve to be forgotten. Prayers said for Jimmy's loved ones.

I did notice CCSO has not yet updated their website indicating which of the remaining remains belonged to Jimmy. Hopefully that site will be updated soon.

http://www.cookcountysheriff.com/sheriffs_police/gacy/gacy.html

I'm still trying to figure out which case number has been id'd.

According to this article, he was Victim 24. It says he was buried next to Victim 26, who is still unidentified. I think another news story today said there are still 6 unidentified?

http://www.startribune.com/st-paul-...ified-as-victim-of-john-wayne-gacy/435428883/

The Chicago Tribune article said it was the missing teen's nephew who asked Haakenson's brother and siser to submit DNA.

It's sometimes easily forgotten what terrible crimes these were. So many innocent victims, young men just beginning their lives.

Hopefully this will spur other families to submit something.

Thank you, Betty P.

Happy to help. I feel badly for his family, having to relive such a terrible thing. He was so young, they all were. Have you read the book by Jason Moss, the guy who interviewed Gacy and some other serial killers? Gacy was an extremely evil, manipulative, bullying man. Those young men didn't stand a chance. Glad he's gone.

James-Byron-Haakenson.jpg

James Byron Haakenson, age 16, was murdered by the serial killer John Wayne Gacy in 1976. His remains were identified this week.

Investigators have used DNA evidence to identify one of the seven remaining unknown victims of John Wayne Gacy, a 1970s serial killer who raped and murdered dozens of teenage boys and young men and was labeled “the killer clown” by the news media, the authorities said on Wednesday.

The Cook County Sheriff’s Department in Illinois said that the newly identified victim was James Byron Haakenson, a 16-year-old boy who ran away from his home in St. Paul in the summer of 1976. The police found his body and 26 others in the crawl space beneath Mr. Gacy’s home in December 1978.

Mr. Gacy was among the most prolific serial killers in American history. From 1972 to 1978, he lured or forced 33 teenage boys and young men — some of whom he employed at his construction business — to his home in suburban Chicago, where he murdered them. He sexually assaulted most of his victims as he tortured them to death and buried all but six of them beneath his house.

Neighbors in Norwood Park Township, Ill., knew Mr. Gacy for his appearances at children’s parties where he performed as Pogo the Clown, a character he later painted or sketched numerous times while in prison.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/john-wayne-gacy-victim-identified.html

Attachments

• 20xp-gacy-superJumbo.jpg
    20xp-gacy-superJumbo.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 32
Haven't read the book. I can't imagine how the families feel. The only thing that would help me get through it is to know Gacy's torment and torture is eternal.

Ugh. Thoughts and prayers going out for Jimmy's Family and Friends.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ourDeepestCondolence_Smaller.jpg
    ourDeepestCondolence_Smaller.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 105
I had no idea there were still unidentified victims. The JWG saga sticks in my head. I was not alive when it happened, but have read several articles on it. I am still in disbelief of how that man was able to operate in plain sight. That photo of him with Rosalyn Carter, knowing he ha already started his terror, is haunting. Prayers for the family of this newly identified young man. And prayers for the families of the ones still unidentified. What a horrible nightmare no one should have to endure :(

Now he needs a proper, beautiful burial and his own Find A Grave page. <3

I've been thinking. Based on what Jimmie's sister said in an interview, the families of the other boys may be out there and alive still while not even suspecting that their loved one has ended up like this. The thought that these boys could have been runaways with nobody looking for them OR having no surviving family at this point was always very sad, but look at the Haakenson family. They had no clue, and even his own mother...she suspected Gacy, but nothing could be done without dental records (at the time).

I'm sure the same situation holds true for the others at this point.

But miracles DO happen--this is why we're here. You'll have your day soon, #WeRemembered.

On a side note, other unrelated cases were solved, some with good news, due to the effort of investigators trying ti ID the remaining victims. So, their exposure paid off, maybe not with the intended results, but they did reach families of missing young men and they came forward.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back