GUILTY IL - Willow Long, 7, Watson, 8 Sept 2013 - #5

She's officially been charged with something Willow-related.... http://www.effinghamradio.com/pages/17930280.php?contentType=4&contentId=14325902

Effingham County State's Attorney's office has filed charges of Obstructing A Peace Office against Ciara DeRyke. The 26-year-old DeRyke, who currently resides in Effingham, is the mother of Willow Long, 7, who was murdered in September.

DeRyke is charged with knowingly obstructing the work of Effingham County Sheriff's Deputies Phillip Hardiek and Larry Finfrock on September 8, 2013, during the initial investigation into Willow Long's disappearance.

Thanks for keeping Willow alive! Her family sure isn't . . . IMHO

There is a huge Christmas tree up in Watson dedicated to Willow! Set up by people who care about the security in their community!

RIP Willow I know you're in a better place

I just saw this on my FB page.
All I can say is WoW! :eek:
I akways felt like she knew something! or a lot of "things"
Moo
ETA:
The article states they don't think she paricipated or had knowledge of Willow's death, but she lied about interacting with her that morning.
I guess that means they know Willow had been killed prior to the "eating cereal" story.
Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I just saw this on my FB page.
All I can say is WoW! :eek:
I akways felt like she knew something! or a lot of "things"
Moo
ETA:
The article states they don't think she paricipated or had knowledge of Willow's death, but she lied about interacting with her that morning.
I guess that means they know Willow had been killed prior to the "eating cereal" story.

Wow just saw the news article on FB. http://www.wics.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_14621.shtml

I know many expressed their concerns about the mother's story when it hit the news. I have racked my brain to come up with an reasonable explanation why she would lie about seeing Willow that morning, and I can't. A child was missing and her lies....grrrr!

Are you both thinking she lied to cover for her brother or for herself? I presumed she was just trying to make herself look like a better mother.

Interesting to see how this develops.

I'm also trying to think of it from her perspective. I know earlier on it was theorized she may have lied because (speculation only!) she had been out the previous night and too hungover the next morning to wake up when her kids did, thereby trusting her brother to both put them to bed and wake them up. How many of us here would have doubted that story if she had just said so? There'd be no reason to lie about being hungover, IMO, and I think that story would have been much more humanizing and well received.

What I still can't figure out is why it was later stated that Willow left "after an argument." What would be the purpose of such a lie?

Are you both thinking she lied to cover for her brother or for herself? I presumed she was just trying to make herself look like a better mother.

I think she was covering for herself at first. I think she figured things out before the police did as well, but didn't tell the truth thinking if she voiced her suspicions about her brother, her lie would be exposed.

I have no idea what her motive was in lying, but we know that she lied about a huge, important matter. It wasn't just a little fib to cover her butt. Who on earth lies like that?? To the police, no less, who are trying to find her daughter??! It's insane!

How will anyone know that she's lying during the trial? It will be easy. Her lips will be moving.

If she was lying to cover herself and had no knowledge of what her brother had done, I hope this new charge gets dropped. She has already paid the ultimate price. I can't see what good a further penalty will do for her or anyone else. If she knew the truth and was covering for brother at any time, I'll look at it differently and think she should face the charges. That's just my :twocents:

At this point, I think she lied to make herself look better in the eye of LE.

IIRC, she said she called her brother when she discovered Willow missing (I think). Does that mean she was sleeping and Willow's 3 year old brother was on his own?

Sad, very sad.

jmo

Its not a crime to leave your child in a family members care and stay out all night. You would think she would have been frantic when she came home and realized her child was missing. Instead she makes up a story to tell.I think it was more to protect the brother. jmo

Its not a crime to leave your child in a family members care and stay out all night. You would think she would have been frantic when she came home and realized her child was missing. Instead she makes up a story to tell.I think it was more to protect the brother. jmo

I agree with your statement about going out, but I don't think Mom knew Willow was missing until she crawled out of bed at 10:15 a.m. Sunday. jmo

Another article:

Ill. mom charged in connection with murder of daughter in court today
Posted on December 10, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Updated today at 10:10 AM

Snipped:

"Ciara DeRyke related to the officers that she had observed and interacted with her daughter earlier that same morning,” said State’s Attorney Bryan Kibler. “We believe that, in making such a statement, DeRyke was knowingly furnishing false information."

ciara_deryke_121013.jpg

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Ill-...ith-fatal-stabbing-of-daughter-235209901.html

BBM
If she was lying to cover herself and had no knowledge of what her brother had done, I hope this new charge gets dropped. She has already paid the ultimate price. I can't see what good a further penalty will do for her or anyone else. If she knew the truth and was covering for brother at any time, I'll look at it differently and think she should face the charges. That's just my :twocents:

I don't know, Brightbird. I think Willow is the one that paid the ultimate price.

People need to be held accountable for this kind of thing. Just reading some news today and seeing where a woman whose child supposedly took a methadone pill she dropped. She didn't check on him for seventeen hours, the child died and she received a 4 year sentence.
Scrolled on down and saw where a couple of women had starved a child and received five years.

People like Ciara need punished so that others don't continue on this path.

A life is precious. A childs life is most precious!

JMO

I don't know, Brightbird. I think Willow is the one that paid the ultimate price.

People need to be held accountable for this kind of thing. Just reading some news today and seeing where a woman whose child supposedly got into a methadone pill she dropped. She didn't check on him for seventeen hours, the child died and she received a 4 year sentence.
Scrolled on down and saw where a couple of women had starved a child and received five years.

People like Ciara need punished so that others don't continue on this path.

A life is precious. A childs life is most precious!

JMO

Yes, Willow paid the ultimate price. And I think a child's death is pretty much the ultimate price for a parent as well. In those cases you mentioned, the parent's neglect directly caused their child's death. Willow's mum hasn't been charged with anything that contributed to Willow's death afaik. I just don't see the point in convicting her for withholding information if her motive was something foolish like hiding the night out drinking from her parents. I can't see the benefit in punishing her because it's not as if she has much more to lose. If losing her children doesn't make her address her choices, I doubt this charge will. And I can't see anyone looking at her and thinking she got away with anything so lying to police is a good idea. I'd rather see her mandated to counselling or parenting classes than any punitive measures. If she had any knowledge or contribution to what really happened, my opinions are completely different.

Yes, Willow paid the ultimate price. And I think a child's death is pretty much the ultimate price for a parent as well. In those cases you mentioned, the parent's neglect directly caused their child's death. Willow's mum hasn't been charged with anything that contributed to Willow's death afaik. I just don't see the point in convicting her for withholding information if her motive was something foolish like hiding the night out drinking from her parents. I can't see the benefit in punishing her because it's not as if she has much more to lose. If losing her children doesn't make her address her choices, I doubt this charge will. And I can't see anyone looking at her and thinking she got away with anything so lying to police is a good idea. I'd rather see her mandated to counselling or parenting classes than any punitive measures. If she had any knowledge or contribution to what really happened, my opinions are completely different.

IOW, since her daughter was murdered, we should ignore she gave LE wrong information to try to make herself look like a better mother leading to hundreds of manpower hours from several LE departments (tax payer $$), fire and rescue dept (tax payer $$) and volunteer searchers who endured the heat and humidity searching for Willow putting their own life at risk?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambermotko
Back