IN - Couple charged with abandonment of adopted child after legally changing her age, Sept 2019 #2 *not guilty*

Since then courts refusing to overturn that decision. Which is bizarre to say the least.

if someone had enough money to pay a high powered team of attorneys who could fight it to higher courts including the State Supreme Court, then I think there would be results.

I don't get it?
Is she legally the older age now? Because this can affect her legally.
As @Laughing pointed out, she may get some benefits much sooner if they have her age wrong.

However, she is getting some State aid now. Some type of check.
I believe she is on disability payments. And has been since declared a legal adult.

Declaring Natalia an adult and leaving her alone as a child was wrong on so many levels! Along with any type of abuse or mistreatment she may have endured. I haven't watched anything about the case lately but have a question.
If the Indiana Supreme Court says, this is a matter for the county courts, can they attempt an entirely new petition to correct her age rather than appealing the previous decision? Could this be done and the relief be along the lines:
*to declare her correct legal age
*dissolve any previous erroneous claims of her age.
And if it can't be done in the state where the error was made, can a new petition be filed in another state that she is a legal resident of?

Declaring Natalia an adult and leaving her alone as a child was wrong on so many levels! Along with any type of abuse or mistreatment she may have endured. I haven't watched anything about the case lately but have a question.
If the Indiana Supreme Court says, this is a matter for the county courts, can they attempt an entirely new petition to correct her age rather than appealing the previous decision? Could this be done and the relief be along the lines:
And if it can't be done in the state where the error was made, can a new petition be filed in another state that she is a legal resident of?

imho, that order could be vacated, and her age corrected?

But, I'm not an Indiana attorney (or ya'll know this might have been over a looong time ago....)

Civil suit vs. the Barnetts?

From parts of the Natalia Speaks episodes, imho JB (adult son living w/Dad & step-mom) has grounds for a civil suit as well.

iirc, NG lives in Michigan -- maybe you're right, and her best recourse is a Michigan action based on honest medical evidence?

Think any of the companies making $$$ off the shows we're all watching will fund the legal team? That might make for a blockbuster episode -- and charges filed....

(Wanna say more about MB, but gotta stay forum-friendly and all.)

jmho ymmv lrr

Producers Were 'Thoroughly Shocked' by Disturbing Call From Mans Family at End of Natalia Speaks: ID President

Natalia was taken in by the Mans in 2013.

"Natalia is stabbing her family in the back over a complete lie," Cynthia Mans said on the phone call in the finale's shocking twist.

"She's done other things too, but this was a new low," Antwon said. "Natalia does not have emotions for nothing but herself. We're done. We're done with her."

A title card at the end of the show read, "Natalia's story will continue."

Kristine ends her post by stating that she is not Natalia's or Michael's "monster," as Michael had claimed in the docuseries.

"Michael Barnett and Natalia Barnett may have the same monster but that monster is not me," Kristine writes. "That monster whether it’s mental illness sociopathy or whatever it actually is may be different for each of them. But it’s within their own psyche."

I don’t know if all of this attention and public following is going to help Natalia in the end. As we have seen with Gypsy, sometimes too much attention becomes like a drug that they seek.

Kristine ends her post by stating that she is not Natalia's or Michael's "monster," as Michael had claimed in the docuseries.

"Michael Barnett and Natalia Barnett may have the same monster but that monster is not me," Kristine writes. "That monster whether it’s mental illness sociopathy or whatever it actually is may be different for each of them. But it’s within their own psyche."

I don’t know if all of this attention and public following is going to help Natalia in the end. As we have seen with Gypsy, sometimes too much attention becomes like a drug that they seek.

Gypsy Rose is a perfect example of seeking fame. They each are too immature and lack emotional intelligence to make healthy choices.

We have many examples of victims who don’t speak out for several years. It takes time to process what happened and adjust to life on the outside. The people that are surrounding them matter, good or bad.

Producers Were 'Thoroughly Shocked' by Disturbing Call From Mans Family at End of Natalia Speaks: ID President

Natalia was taken in by the Mans in 2013.

"Natalia is stabbing her family in the back over a complete lie," Cynthia Mans said on the phone call in the finale's shocking twist.

"She's done other things too, but this was a new low," Antwon said. "Natalia does not have emotions for nothing but herself. We're done. We're done with her."

A title card at the end of the show read, "Natalia's story will continue."
I’m curious. After watching the series, it looks like the adoptive parents were enjoying the attention as much as Michael B. and Natalia. Could cutting ties with Natalia revolve over fees/payment?

From what I have seen, Natalia was a child (according to DNA) and Michael and Kristine (especially) abandoned her. Natalia was left to fend for herself for four years. In early pictures, Natalia looks like a child to me, regardless if she matured early (this can happen). If Michael and Kristine were having problems with Natalia, why didn't they consult an expert instead of just abandoning the child? I am totally shocked that charges did not hold up against them. Both of them should be in prison now, and if not, I hope Natalia is successful in her case against them.

From what I have seen, Natalia was a child (according to DNA) and Michael and Kristine (especially) abandoned her. Natalia was left to fend for herself for four years. In early pictures, Natalia looks like a child to me, regardless if she matured early (this can happen). If Michael and Kristine were having problems with Natalia, why didn't they consult an expert instead of just abandoning the child? I am totally shocked that charges did not hold up against them. Both of them should be in prison now, and if not, I hope Natalia is successful in her case against them.

In one of the episodes (don’t remember which) they said Kristine was doing all of that for a book deal. She wanted it to be about her uncovering Natalia’s uniqueness, a prodigy of sorts. Fame, Reality Tv and documentaries but it hasn’t worked out for her the way she wanted it to.

I am not a lawyer so I can't answer the question. One would think there should be a way to correct her age. She has a birth certificate with her correct birth date. Lots of medical documentation (X-ray, etc) proving she was a child. DNA tests proving her biological mother is her actual biological mother. This new DNA test proving her age. Why the attempts to correct the decision of the judge to make her an adult haven't been successful is beyond my understanding since there is so much evidence proving her actual age. If the law doesn't allow for her age to be corrected then the law needs to be changed.

At this point she is an adult either way so it probably doesn't matter anymore. Judges are also immune from lawsuits so it's not like she could sue the judge for declaring her an adult and depriving her of her childhood.

Gypsy Rose is a perfect example of seeking fame. They each are too immature and lack emotional intelligence to make healthy choices.

We have many examples of victims who don’t speak out for several years. It takes time to process what happened and adjust to life on the outside. The people that are surrounding them matter, good or bad.
It's very hard to be a well adjusted adult when you had a really messed up childhood. Which presumably would apply to both Natalia and Gypsy Rose. In Natalia's case she has severe physical disabilities for which she never got proper medical treatments, which would make it even harder to live as an adult.

It's very hard to be a well adjusted adult when you had a really messed up childhood. Which presumably would apply to both Natalia and Gypsy Rose. In Natalia's case she has severe physical disabilities for which she never got proper medical treatments, which would make it even harder to live as an adult.

Yes. No transition between where they were and where they are now isn’t realistic. I can think of a few of whom have been in less volatile situations that chose to regroup away from the limelight.

They have lived dysfunctional lives for most or all of their lives. That alone takes time to adjust and decompress from.

Good! I hope it is a good amount. This also gives her Medicaid for health.
I imagine what she is getting is a standard disability amount. I don't think one can get rich off that. Also, my understanding of this whole situation with the M. family, is that she was living with them as if she were a roommate since she was considered a legal adult when she met them. They were collecting rent from her disability payments, etc. The legal adoption took place very recently, in 2023. I am glad she moved out and hope she can make it on her own.

Last edited:
I presume the charges didn't hold up because prosecution wasn't allowed to present evidence of Natalia's actual age at trial. Judge didn't allow them to present any of the evidence that Natalia was a child when abandoned. Natalia also wasn't allowed to say what her actual biological age was. The mind boggles, but when that original judge made her into an adult that decision prevented any justice for her in the recent criminal case.

In one of the episodes (don’t remember which) they said Kristine was doing all of that for a book deal. She wanted it to be about her uncovering Natalia’s uniqueness, a prodigy of sorts. Fame, Reality Tv and documentaries but it hasn’t worked out for her the way she wanted it to.
I'm sure this has been addressed, but Kristine also said they cured their oldest son of autism, and that he was a prodigy. You can actually see a "60 Minutes" episode on YouTube that features this family, after her first book, titled "The Spark", came out, and there was Natalia at the dinner table.

I'm sure this has been addressed, but Kristine also said they cured their oldest son of autism, and that he was a prodigy. You can actually see a "60 Minutes" episode on YouTube that features this family, after her first book, titled "The Spark", came out, and there was Natalia at the dinner table.

It’s strange from all sides and we will never know the catalyst for this situation. Brainwashing is a powerful weapon used on the vulnerable.

Scenarios blow up collectively and then each person feels differently about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark
Back