IN IN - Julie Dalton Johnson, 29, Kokomo, 1 Mar 1991

Was Julie's husband at work when she disappeared or what?

Good question. Did he have an alibi?

Here are a few other questions:
Did anyone see his car in the vicinity?
Does he still live at the same house or trailer from 1991?
Does Julie's trailer still exist and is it still in the same place?

I'm so sorry to hear of this case. I live in Indiana and it's just heartbreaking for all involved. I hope the family finds justice for her and gets closure. That being said; I cross referenced Julie's info in namus. I didn't see her name on the rule out list. Please take a look and see if they haven't already ruled this UID out. Thank you and God Bless.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/782

I was looking at Namus and noticed most the missing people in Indiana disappeared during March (spring break) and during summer, early fall. Does anyone know if this is a common trend in most cases? Thanks!

I don't think it will hurt contacting him. Maybe he has some insights. He also may have some pull at the police dept. to keep the investigation going.

I'll send him a letter and update if and when I get a response. He was the police captain until 2007, so I hope he still has some pull.

I'm so sorry to hear of this case. I live in Indiana and it's just heartbreaking for all involved. I hope the family finds justice for her and gets closure. That being said; I cross referenced Julie's info in namus. I didn't see her name on the rule out list. Please take a look and see if they haven't already ruled this UID out. Thank you and God Bless.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/782

I've seen that. I can't for the life of me figure out why I discounted it. I'll call the coroner on Tuesday and ask about it.

Good question. Did he have an alibi?

Here are a few other questions:
Did anyone see his car in the vicinity?
Does he still live at the same house or trailer from 1991?
Does Julie's trailer still exist and is it still in the same place?

I'm hoping to find out if he had an alibi (The police interviewed him several times, so I have to assume he did.) when I contact the officer mentioned above.

Julie's Doe Network page says she lived in Kokomo Regency Trailer Court, space 250. I can find it on google maps, but it doesn't say which is space 250. More than likely though, the trailer is gone.

I've been searching for her Curt Johnson, her husband. Like I said, we've had no contact with him, so I have no idea where he is. I'm working on it, but I've never looked for a specific person that I don't actually know on the internet before.

I had heard that they didn't have a search warrant when they searched the van. So, they coulndn't use the evidence.

Hmmm, wonder if the police found something interesting in that van. It could be in the reports.

I just read through this thread and discovered they did find something interesting in the van. Looks like they just need to find a way to bring this guy to justice.

Let me just tell you ALL ABOUT Kpd. I called about Kelly's death. (armstrong). Travis said he killed her and lied about where he put her body (a landfill) yet the people that "Helped" him told everyone where she really is. I told the detective, he took my social security # and the entire nine and shrugged me off. They sincerely do not care. DO NOT CARE.

Julie went missing and it was a huge deal. Her husband worked in a factory (sorry, I wasn't clear in the other - I don't think she did) - and everyone talks there. He was absent during some time she was unaccounted for and I remember everyone talking about her being tied up under the trailer till LE left and then he disposed of her.

I know that K-town seems like a podunk town but it's high on crime with heroin and other things. there's a lot of crime here and much of it is just a big ole shrug. I do not think Julie's death will ever be solved and I feel so bad for her kids.

See bolded

The police need to track these people down and question them to find out if it was a rumor or not. If her disappearance happened that way, the culprit had talked to someone. Hopefully, this someone will talk to police.

Here's the screen captures from the E-edition.

2500yev.png

1znr2ow.png

2w4csxs.jpg

ffalo3.png

Another year has passed without justice for Julie and her family. Hoping 2016 will be different!

Has there been any follow ups on this UID? Julie still has not been ruled out. https://identifyus.org/en/cases/782

An older article but seems investigators believe Julie's husband Curt Johnson is the suspect.
Still searching for Julie Johnson
Still searching for Julie Johnson

• Pat Munsey, Editor and Adrienne Evilsizer
  • May 28, 2014
5384dbbc2c616.image.jpg

Investigators hope for information in cold case, but mystery may never be solved

It has been 23 years since Julie Dalton Johnson disappeared from her residence in Howard County. Reportedly, she took her four children to a movie, drove them home to the Kokomo Regency Trailer Court, space 250, put the kids to bed, and disappeared. Her story is one that many residents know and speculate on, but the case remains unsolved.

Phil Templin was one of the detectives who worked the case in 1991, along with Hank Bolger. Templin contends that there was only ever one suspect -- Johnson’s husband, Curt.

“From day one, we had Curt Johnson and his van,” said Templin. “We had her clothes, her driver’s license, and all of her personal effects, which was found in Curt Johnson’s van. But we could never prove the fact that she was actually dead. In a court case, it could have been surmised that she ran off with a boyfriend or just became missing. We could never tie (Johnson) to her.”

Templin contended that Johnson gave Bolger permission to search the van, which resulted in finding Julie’s personal items. But that permission has been called into question as it was done without a warrant. As a consequence, the evidence found may have been inadmissible. Templin explained that there was a second problem with the evidence.

“We had him with her possessions,” said Templin. “It was circumstantial, but I think if we could have found her body, or if he would have confided in somebody whether it was an accident or a homicide, it would have been something we could have pursued.”

Julie’s disappearance left a wound on the family that still hasn’t fully healed. But Betty Dalton, Julie’s mother, prefers to remember the good things about her daughter.

“Nobody ever met Julie that didn’t love her,” said Dalton. “She was a very loving mother. She doted over her children. She sewed and made their clothes a lot of times. She’d braid the girls’ hair and then let the braid out because they loved having wavy hair.

“She sang to them; she played with them. Her children were her life. It was like she was playing house all the time. She was just a real sweet girl. She talked about having babies from the time she was young. That was her thing -- being a mommy.”

Despite the evidence, Julie is still considered missing, not dead -- though Howard County Sheriff Steve Rogers isn’t convinced.

“There’s just the assumption at this point, a legal assumption, that she’s no longer living, but it’s not even confirmed,” said Rogers. “In fact, she’s a missing persons case, but it’s certainly in the realm of legal determination that she’s not surfaced anywhere. It’s a serious, case and we’re treating it as such.”

When asked if there are any suspects in the case, Rogers said, “There were lots of people of interest. During that time we were looking for anyone that could possibly be connected with her disappearance. Some of the suspect information or person of interest information we wouldn’t talk about because it is still a cold case and in all fairness, not only to the suspect, but the entire investigation, we’re still looking and open to any information that comes in so we are very careful about what we would say about that but yes, there were a lot of leads followed.”

Templin wasn’t shy about the list of suspects. There was just one, in his recollection.

“That was the key to the whole thing,” said Templin. “The whole time we investigated, there was no other suspect that came up. Just Curt. He was a suspect.”

Gene F. Miller, Kokomo resident and former friend of Julie, believes that someone knows what happened to her.

“Who killed Julie Dalton Johnson?” said Miller. “There are several people who know. If they will come forward and testify, let justice prevail. Another cold case may soon be resolved with your help.”

Templin believes that the list of people who do know what happened to Julie is very small. Other than Johnson’s lawyer, Steve Raquet, there may only be two others with the necessary information to close the case.

“Curt is a recluse-type guy; he’s not going to confide in too many people,” said Templin. “If there is anybody who knows truly what happened, it would be Hobart Tingley. He was married to (Johnson’s) mother. He was with Curt immediately. He came to the jail and picked Curt up and was with him.”

When asked whether the case was still being worked on, Rogers said, “Homicide cases like this, I don’t know of any agencies that really call them cold cases where they put them back and they never work on them, so to speak. This case file, in particular, was still being worked on when (Detective) Greg (Hargrove) took over my job.

“He’s got a copy of the basic information at his fingertips in his office. He doesn’t have to get up and find the ‘Julie Johnson file.’ He has enough information right then to speak intelligently about the case with someone over the phone who is inquiring about it.”

Despite the case not being officially closed, it seems to have been stagnant for quite a long time. With help from those who knew and loved her most, concerned citizens, and the police department, perhaps this case can get moving again.

“We would plead to anybody, if you know anything that you think would be significant in helping in this case to please come forward,” said Rogers. “We would do our best if you want to remain anonymous. We would take information any there was that we possibly could. The people that actually worked on that case, for the most part, aren’t here anymore, but they would be available and willing also to help us.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ATLSooner
Back