IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Presser with Capt Joe Palters, Public Info officer, had some interesting information as well as a lot of tantalizing refusals to disclose information. There was on piece of information that appears to be particularly interesting. Apparently there is a video record of LS and "an acquaintance" (I’m betting its JR) in the alleyway after 3:00 AM this is interesting because it means that after she returned with CR to his Apt (after the altercation at the Smallwood) she was out again. She apparently left the apt building with someone after she returned with CR. The altercation took place around 2:40 and it is only a 5 minute walk to CR's apt. This alley is also where the keys were found. Someone asked about finding "Lauren's keys" and the Captain said "keys were found in the alley" but was not specific that they were hers

LS's boyfriend JW was brought up. The Capt. did not want to talk about his whereabouts that night. Sounds like that is still “an issue”.

The Capt descried the "vehicle checkpoint" that was set up this morning. Apparently 135 cars were stopped. We don't know the exact time period the checkpoint ran, but it suggests that there was a certain amount of traffic on College the night it happened. Since the walk from JR's apt to the Smallwood would take less than five minutes, there would limited time for an abduction (by either a stranger or a "know person") and there would be a good chance that someone driving by would have seen something.

The fact that the video in the alley caught LS after 3:00 but no later, it suggests she never walked that route again and any activity that took place in the alley would be recorded. If something had happened in JR/CR's apt building, it would seem the alley would be the most likely way LS would have been removed from the building. The alternative would be a relatively well traveled road.

A question I found myself wondering is "What is the relationship between JR and JW?" Did they know each other? were they friends, rivals ?
Do you have a link for this press conference, Kemo? The public information officer's name is Captain Joe Qualters, btw.

ETA: I think you're referring to Lt. Parker. I thought you meant there was a separate interview with Qualters.

Local CBS radio news says FBI is being called into this case... but I cannot find a link to the story...

I see the case will be on this Saturday's America's Most Wanted:
http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...Lauren-Spierer-disappearance?odyssey=nav|head

Also see her BF is one of ten POI's

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lauren-spierer-search-boyfriend-person-interest/story?id=13809364

Sorry if any of this has been posted...

This quote is troubling to me. "Lauren was his life, his number 1 priority". For a 20 year old girl that seems sweet, but to me at 27 it sounds a bit obsessive and there is no knowing what the BF might have done if he found out Lauren, "his number 1 priority" was with another guy. It seems like Lauren had JUST met this other guy a few weeks prior.

Local CBS radio news says FBI is being called into this case... but I cannot find a link to the story...

I see the case will be on this Saturday's America's Most Wanted:
http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...Lauren-Spierer-disappearance?odyssey=nav|head

Also see her BF is one of ten POI's

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lauren-spierer-search-boyfriend-person-interest/story?id=13809364

Sorry if any of this has been posted...
At the briefing today they said FBI was helping out simply because of the high call volume they expect after America's Most Wanted airing.

Police seek DNA from Lauren Spierer's companion on night she disappeared; 'Most Wanted' to feature search

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Police investigating the disappearance of Lauren Spierer asked this afternoon for a DNA sample from Corey Rossman, the Indiana University student Spierer was with the morning she went missing.

The request was confirmed by Rossman's lawyer, Carl Salzmann, who said his client would go to police headquarters to provide a sample.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/BH/20110610/NEWS02/106100365/Police-seek-DNA-from-Lauren-Spierer-s-companion-night-she-disappeared-Most-Wanted-feature-search?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|New%20York%20news|s

Wow. DNA sample?? This case is so weird. I go from changing what I think happened by the minute.

Really sweet article from a recent IU grad. Provides a little insight of how 'safe' female students feel and even shows that it was common for girls to walk barefoot after Kilroy.

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...Spierer-s-disappearance-shock-our-Bloomington

Two weeks ago, I sank my bare feet into the sand-covered floor at Kilroy's Sports Bar in Bloomington. A couple of hours after midnight, I walked with my friends down Walnut Street, a road lit softly by streetlights and empty except for the occasional car that whizzed by.

That night marked our last hurrah on these streets, our stomping grounds for the past four years. They were streets I had run on, biked on, even sang our school fight song on while trotting to basketball games -- Indiana, we're all for you. Some nights, I clutched my high heels and walked home from the bars barefoot on these streets as if they were my own backyard.

When I heard that 20-year-old Lauren Spierer had gone missing on these streets, tears stung my eyes. I didn't know this IU student, but we shared our Bloomington home. The area in which authorities think she disappeared was three blocks from my house. It seemed surreal. How could something like this happen on the streets on which I had always felt safe? So safe that when my mom handed me pepper spray my freshman year, it quickly became buried in my closet.

As a recent IU grad, it's heartbreaking to know a piece of our community is missing. Already, almost 190,000 of us have joined a Facebook group to spread the word. A near-constant stream of updates is posted on Twitter, and every time I click on a link to an article, it's with the anticipation that maybe this news will be good news. I, along with thousands of others, think every day about Lauren with the hopes she will be brought home safely. Lauren, we're all for you.

BUT, we don't know who else they requested samples from. For all we know, they asked all 10 POI ...

BUT, we don't know who else they requested samples from. For all we know, they asked all 10 POI ...

True. And I mean, seems like Rossman is about to provide the samples... if he is guilty, we will know soon enough.

Really sweet article from a recent IU grad. Provides a little insight of how 'safe' female students feel and even shows that it was common for girls to walk barefoot after Kilroy.

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...Spierer-s-disappearance-shock-our-Bloomington

It is very much like that here. Kilroy's is the most popular bar on the strip, and is always crowded on the weekends. Most students walk or bike around town. Its usually a very peaceful part of town with lots of parties and good times.

I keep listening to the video of the press conference, looking at the map and reading the news reports. She and CR leave the bar, go to her apt, the 2 remain in the lobby where CR has an "encounter" with friends of LS's boyfriend. She walks him home. Video shows them leaving her apts. together around 2:40 am. Around 3am a video captures her and a male companion (CR you can deduce), walking in the alley between 10th and 11th (going to his apt). This is the last detail the PD says they can confirm absolutely she was seen (last hard evidence), and also where a set of keys were found (yet to be confirmed as hers). Based on eyewitnesses though, someone saw her leave CRs apt buildings, and last seen as she turned on 11th to head S. on College.

So, she wasn't in the alley then, on her return trip. I think indeed someone was waiting for her to be making her return trip back to her apt.

Wow. DNA sample?? This case is so weird. I go from changing what I think happened by the minute.

I'm thinking they need to establish his DNA to set it apart from any others for further analysis of his belongings/vehicle.

True. And I mean, seems like Rossman is about to provide the samples... if he is guilty, we will know soon enough.

We will know if he is guilty? What would LE compare the samples to?

We will know if he is guilty? What would LE compare the samples to?

Knox I wondered the same thing myself. It very well could be to use later on, when/if more evidence is found. :banghead:

Wondering if there is some type of blood evidence, maybe in his car or apartment?

So now, the last person to have seen her walking toward home that night has also lawyered up.

Noted Indianapolis defense attorney James Voyles has confirmed to Fox59 News that he has been retained to represent one of the key witnesses in the Lauren Spierer case....
Jay Rosenbaum, whom Voyles is representing, told Bloomington police he saw Spierer walk away from his apartment before dawn on June 3rd. Police said Rosenbaum may have been the last person to see Spierer.
http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-laur...rest-in-spierer-case-20110610,0,3876035.story

I think this JB is probably the #1 suspect... before Rossman and the boyfriend. I mean, he WAS apparently the last person to see Lauren.

In any case, guilty or innocent, not surprised these kids are lawyering up. They have probably been interviewing with LE... smart to have a lawyer by their side.

So now, the last person to have seen her walking toward home that night has also lawyered up.

Sorry for quoting myself here...but I was thinking that it's pretty obvious now who else is considered a POI since he's lawyered. Next up, CR's roommate...and then I imagine LS's boyfriends friends who confronted CR in her apt lobby. Who else? Maybe the other few who saw her at CR's apt that early morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimilino01