IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that they aren't doing all that makes me wonder if maybe they have their theory and some of the evidence they may need and are just waiting on something to make some moves. Or they are waiting for cell phone records. I have heard that they sometimes can take a long time if they have to go through the phone company.

Cadaver dogs are usually out fairly quick - it's been 3 weeks. If she left in a suitcase (which is disturbing to write as much as it is to think) she could be anywhere in the US, one thing remains, a cadaver dog will hit on the place she died and follow that trail...LE needs to step it up. I know that we all hold onto hope and hope is everything for that family. But delaying the inevitable is only causing more pain for this family.

Thanks. I'm not doubting you on the latter, but I do know it's written in my lease that the landlord can enter my premises at any time (providing sufficient notice). Not sure if that is in conflict with what you said though.

In regards to a vehicle search, can the owner/title holder grant an okay on the search to LE in lieu of the driver?

JR was the last person to see her. That's grounds for a search warrant as are the apartments of everyone she was with and the cars of everyone she was with. This is a possible homicide investigation. You don't need permission, you need a search warrant and you'll get one if you ask.

JR was the last person to see her. That's grounds for a search warrant as are the apartments of everyone she was with and the cars of everyone she was with. This is a possible homicide investigation. You don't need permission, you need a search warrant and you'll get one if you ask.

What if JR is not really a suspect for some reason. Do you think they have enough to get search warrants on some of the others, say like JW? Bunny Esq what do you think?

If the boyfriend's call is early in the afternoon and he says "LS is missing" then that does raise my suspicions. But if he calls and tells them he's looking for her and can't find her and simply asks if they've heard from her... maybe not so suspicious. It's all about the wording and context of the call.

That would be one for the parents to sort thru in their own minds. The first way is IMO premature. She was out partying and could've easily crashed at a friend's house. He already knows she lost her cell phone at a bar so there's a simple explanation why she's not answering it. Even if he himself is starting to worry, would you really want to worry the parents at that point?

OTOH, if he's just trying to locate her and doesn't really consider her missing at this point as much as he just doesn't know where she is then a call to the parents just to see if they've talked to her isn't quite as worrisome... though it does start the ball rolling on her being known as 'missing'.

But I think by this point the roommates were already heading to the police station to file a missing person's report IIRC. So maybe that was the mindset. Maybe there are some things about her schedule that she missed that we don't know. Things they don't think she would've missed unless something was wrong.

Again, we lack context.

Could they boyfriend have called JR that day, trying to find where LS was? Of course we haven't heard anything about it, but if the boyfriend found out LS was supposedly walking home at 4:30 am in the morning, then he certainly could easily assume she was "missing."

What if JR is not really a suspect for some reason. Do you think they have enough to get search warrants on some of the others, say like JW? Bunny Esq what do you think?

He says he saw her turn the corner yet not a single camera caught her on her path toward home. Yes I believe that is grounds for a warrant. His statement doesn't jive and it isn't really his statement, it is the statement of HT, LS's roommate, which I find even more conspriring.

A girl is missing. This isn't about inconveniencing people. This is about finding a missing girl. They can get search warrants for any place she was purported to have been seen. They scoured the Peterson home within days. They had dogs out within days. Laci's scent stopped at the driveway. She didn't take the dog for a walk after all and Scott had a bullseye on his head.

I am not sure that police department has much experience in cases such as this one.

I understand warrants for JR, but what about someone who they don't have evidence for - like JW the boyfriend. Could they get one on him?

I apologize that I came across very different than I had intended and that what I felt like was a lively discussion hopefully getting us closer to an accurate scenario was seen as me attacking people. I apologize to those who felt attacked or like I was telling them they weren't allowed to post. Perhaps I really need to work on my tone online :(

FWIW I am one of the ones who considers the 3:38 sighting "possible" and I never at all thought you were attacking me or anyone. I think it was a misunderstanding.

No one beat up the boyfriend earlier that night. The boyfriend was not in a fight with anyone. JR and the boyfriend are in the same fraternity.

During college I was pretty much a fixture in my BFs suite. And I hung out with all the suite mates (5 other guys). But I can't remember a time that someone else's girlfriend wasn't around at the same time too... I in no way would have felt unsafe - some of the suite mates are still close friends of mine to this day - but it just would have been weird, very much so. And I pretty much lived there. Now this set-up, LS goes there. Without another GF with her?? Even that is odd. I am highly suspicious that there are quite a few people that are still flying under the radar in this tale, and that is going to include some women friends...

It is a different situation if one of the guys is your steady boyfriend. But she was not with her boyfriend, or any other females from what I can tell. Odd.

It is a different situation if one of the guys is your steady boyfriend. But she was not with her boyfriend, or any other females from what I can tell. Odd.

Well that is my point. Maybe she usually hangs out with her boyfriend, but that night she was not.

Thanks. I'm not doubting you on the latter, but I do know it's written in my lease that the landlord can enter my premises at any time (providing sufficient notice). Not sure if that is in conflict with what you said though.

In regards to a vehicle search, can the owner/title holder grant an okay on the search to LE in lieu of the driver?

I'm no attorney, but I believe yes, the owner of a car can consent to having it searched. One would presume the parents to be the owners (only b/c single insurance for young males is ridiculously $$) and I kinda doubt the parents would give consent without the attorney's permission. My guess is that HE would say NO WAY.

I think that's pretty standard lease language - it doesn't mean he can enter at any time with a few police friends and search your place. There's a ton of case law about this, and there are a lot of nuances in this area of law (an entire law school course is pretty much about 4th Amendment search and seizure exclusively).

The owner of the vehicle could definitely allow police to search the vehicle. Like if JR's dad owns the car he drives, dad could consent to LE searching the vehicle. But say you were leasing a car - the dealer, or whoever actually "owns" the car could not consent to the car being searched.

That's the story as we know it.

I am wondering how p-off JW was the LS consoled CR. Then she loses her phone so there's no communication between the two of them - that could really fire him up. I'm not leaving JW out of the top 2.

As far as obtaining search warrants for the homes/vehicles of the POIs - LE needs probable cause. It seems that some have cooperated/consented already. IMO, they have PC as to JR, and probably JW (though I think he's consented/cooperated?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny