KS KS - DENNIS LYNN RADER, BTK Serial Killer

Curious: what, in this book, convinced you his wife knew nothing? I had heard he (Rader) is saying she did know. Of course he lies and tortures and murders, so....

Infamous 'BTK serial killer' reveals what drove him to torture and murder 10 people - including two children - during brutal crime spree in never-heard-before confession aired on new documentary
BTK serial killer reveals what drove him to murder 10 people | Daily Mail Online

I personally think, and I know it's not very Christian, but I actually think it's a demon that's within me,' he said.
Rader, who called himself BTK for 'bind, torture and kill', once dressed up as one of his victims. He is now the subject of a Oxygen documentary titled ' Snapped: Notorious BTK Serial Killer'

Last edited:
20/20 on ABC, TV show right now is showing a one hour special. His daughter is discussing her experience growing up as the daughter of BTK and interviews with other people close to the case.

ETA, is there a thread here on this website that people can post about upcoming shows on cases that we have threads for?

If you could share a link here, that would be great thank you in advance as I would like to subscribe to such if it exists.

@gregjrichards
@Shelby1

Last edited:
ID 2 hour special.
Wow, I hadn't heard about a lot of what was aired! The barbie dolls and the DNA from his daughter's pap smear identified him 100%!
The last 2 min was heart breaking!
His daughter will never understand him, but she will always love him! :(

BTK's Daughter Speaks Out

"The daughter of Wichita’s notorious serial killer breaks her silence in an exclusive local interview with Susan Peters."

This man terrified me in my childhood. The day he was arrested I was sick when I saw his face. I had come face to face with him several times in my child hood. We live in a neighboring city but went to park city every Sunday to visit my cousins. DR lived 6 houses down. We rode bikes with his daughter. DR often was outside. Always watching. But he was just the dad next door unless he was in uniform. He also used to install the security systems everyone in Wichita started getting out of terror of BTK himself. He killed my cousins baby sitter. The lady that also lived in park city only she wasn’t connected to BTK at first.

I remember him from my childhood he looked exactly the same. But worse yet was literally the sunday before he was arrested he was in my city. Nothing unusual we have a couple of national attractions in our little city. He here with church members for the cosmosphere or salt mine. I can’t remember which. But the reason I even know this is because I was outside that Sunday playing with my kids. One of them kicked the back over the neighbors fence and like They always have my son one of them jumped over to grab the ball except from around the other side of that house a man appeared holding the ball handing it to my kid. Then followed him back to the fence making conversation with me telling me why he was there. Where he was from Etc. The House next door was on the market and one of the church board members stopped to look at it for his son. DR was with him along with others. But they were all in suit and ties I remember. Then he started talking about what he was doing etc. I knew I knew him from somewhere but I couldn’t place where. Then it was just a day or 2 maybe more but in the exact week. That I watched the local news cast pulling him over then i saw they were in park city and I remembered the guy from when I was a kid. Then it hit me omg the dude was right there In my yard how was this man BTK. I actually thought maybe they were wrong it couldn’t be. But I was sick to my stomach for days after. I’m still in disbelief that this scum was right there in plain site all these years.

Should not old Dennis have a spot here?
He is recently about the most famous , some think He could have been the Zodiac , I dont
It seems many criminals were of his era were military then in civilian life struggled , thus went to the dark side , if they were not before.

"Earlier this year, Kerri released a book entitled “A Serial Killer’s Daughter” in which she discusses her childhood with Rader and “how her life crashed when her father was arrested for being the BTK serial killer.”

In the book, Rawson states that today, she suffers from anxiety, depression, and PTSD. In a video trailer, Kerri explains, “(It) took me a very long time to reconcile the man I knew and had grown up to love and grown up next to with the man I was hearing these horrible things about.”"

Be sure to tune into tonight’s episode of ABC News’ 20/20 to learn more about Dennis Rader, the horrific nature of his crimes, and his family today."

Dennis Rader Now: Where Is the BTK Killer Today? | Heavy.com

This man terrified me in my childhood. The day he was arrested I was sick when I saw his face. I had come face to face with him several times in my child hood. We live in a neighboring city but went to park city every Sunday to visit my cousins. DR lived 6 houses down. We rode bikes with his daughter. DR often was outside. Always watching. But he was just the dad next door unless he was in uniform. He also used to install the security systems everyone in Wichita started getting out of terror of BTK himself. He killed my cousins baby sitter. The lady that also lived in park city only she wasn’t connected to BTK at first.

I remember him from my childhood he looked exactly the same. But worse yet was literally the sunday before he was arrested he was in my city. Nothing unusual we have a couple of national attractions in our little city. He here with church members for the cosmosphere or salt mine. I can’t remember which. But the reason I even know this is because I was outside that Sunday playing with my kids. One of them kicked the back over the neighbors fence and like They always have my son one of them jumped over to grab the ball except from around the other side of that house a man appeared holding the ball handing it to my kid. Then followed him back to the fence making conversation with me telling me why he was there. Where he was from Etc. The House next door was on the market and one of the church board members stopped to look at it for his son. DR was with him along with others. But they were all in suit and ties I remember. Then he started talking about what he was doing etc. I knew I knew him from somewhere but I couldn’t place where. Then it was just a day or 2 maybe more but in the exact week. That I watched the local news cast pulling him over then i saw they were in park city and I remembered the guy from when I was a kid. Then it hit me omg the dude was right there In my yard how was this man BTK. I actually thought maybe they were wrong it couldn’t be. But I was sick to my stomach for days after. I’m still in disbelief that this scum was right there in plain site all these years.

I’m sorry you have these terrible memories. It is a real pity he hasn’t been executed.

"Earlier this year, Kerri released a book entitled “A Serial Killer’s Daughter” in which she discusses her childhood with Rader and “how her life crashed when her father was arrested for being the BTK serial killer.”

In the book, Rawson states that today, she suffers from anxiety, depression, and PTSD. In a video trailer, Kerri explains, “(It) took me a very long time to reconcile the man I knew and had grown up to love and grown up next to with the man I was hearing these horrible things about.”"

Be sure to tune into tonight’s episode of ABC News’ 20/20 to learn more about Dennis Rader, the horrific nature of his crimes, and his family today."

Dennis Rader Now: Where Is the BTK Killer Today? | Heavy.com
Oh my I wish I wouldn’t of read this... seriously we do NOT want his ashes scattered HERE! No please ! Not in my little town , that creeps me out . I don’t know why but it does.

This dude LOVES publicity all these documentary’s lately on him, well they just feed his ego. He loved all news coverage on him during his killing years. I remember him complaining to news stations if he didn’t get the coverage he expected. Even one of the Murders they had thought some one else did. He made sure he wrote the stations and the WPD to taunt them. Give them enough info so they knew it was him that did that one.

He should be shut away with no contact with anyone ever. No interviews no publicity , wait until he’s dead then they can do all these documentary’s and news stories on him.

Shame and the Serial Killer

Sep 06, 2019

"..It’s no excuse for murder, but for some people, humiliation runs deep—depriving them of self-esteem, a sense of control, and feelings of accomplishment. They don’t get past it. Instead, the humiliation festers, feeding their view of a hostile world that hinders them and justifies payback.

Dennis Rader, the "BTK Killer" in Wichita, Kansas, from 1974 to 1991, identified incidents in his childhood when his mother shamed or humiliated him as motivators for his fantasies of controlling and punishing women. With no trauma or abuse in his background, criminologists were at first mystified by what provoked his series of murders. But in interviews with me that spanned several years, Rader kept returning to his experience of anger and helplessness at the hands of females. During adolescence, he began envisioning “girl traps” and ways of binding women that later shaped his acts as a serial killer. ..."

Shame and the Serial Killer

After reading SassynOz's post I thought I might as well put my two cents on Rader in.
Wichita has always been sort of a small town city where you know someone just about everywhere you go. Either you see someone you worked with, went to school with, or you dated them or their brother, it just seems like there's barely one degree of separation between yourself and everyone you've ever known here. Which only made having our own serial killer that much more scary. Growing up in 1970's Wichita, BTK was a part of local spook-ology. He was the boogeyman in the closet, scaring us out of our wits, knowing he was out there somewhere, and he would strangle you dead if he caught up with you. What I find so amazing about it all is that back then LE released so very little of the crime details and evidence that we had no idea just how terrified we really should be! We knew he was a killer and we knew he wasn't choosy, that he would kill women, children and men. We had no idea how bad it really was until he returned in 2004. I read Robert Beattie's book, signed on to Kansas.com message boards and dove into the fray of insane serial killer hunters, even hosting a certain notorious PNW serial killer web site owner who had come to Wichita hoping to find the Zodiac Killer. Some people thought and BTK were the same guy.

So in February 2005, when KAKE channel 10 broke in with a live report from Park City, saying that Wichita LE had arrested a man who they believed was the BTK serial killer, I almost fell off of my chair. I saw an aerial view of several unmarked police cars and several marked patrol units that surrounded a Park City Compliance truck, right in front of my best friends home. That blew my mind. Old Dennis the dog catcher was BTK! I started recalling the times that my best friends brother would be visited by Rader for his drumming. Rader showing up with a citation, calling it a noise nuisance, and Mike clapping back with a neighborhood petition saying that the neighbors enjoyed his drumming. Back and forth they would go. Then I see Mike and Dawn on CNN, giving an interview about their dealings with Dennis Rader, I mean, BTK, and they were clearly in shock. We all were! Standing on their back yard deck looking over the fence right at Rader's shed where he kept his dog collars and trophies and whatnot. It was surreal. For someone who has always been a true crime aficionado, this was a jackpot. But it completely geeked me out.

I will forever have absolute love and respect for the late Lt. Ken Landwehr of the Wichita, KS Police Dept. for bringing this monster in. Our city finally slept a good night's sleep after that day in February. I had the opportunity to attend a BTK victim's fundraiser where I met Charlie Otero and Steve Relford. I hope that with the killer behind bars they have turned a corner and moved in a new direction, away from the bad times into better times. I can't imagine how hard it's been for them.

I guess that's about it. Thanks for letting me share my experience.

The press should not give all this "coverage" to these ugly killers and to their relatives, friends and so on (some of them just want to make money with books, interviews even movies...).

After reading SassynOz's post I thought I might as well put my two cents on Rader in.
Wichita has always been sort of a small town city where you know someone just about everywhere you go. Either you see someone you worked with, went to school with, or you dated them or their brother, it just seems like there's barely one degree of separation between yourself and everyone you've ever known here. Which only made having our own serial killer that much more scary. Growing up in 1970's Wichita, BTK was a part of local spook-ology. He was the boogeyman in the closet, scaring us out of our wits, knowing he was out there somewhere, and he would strangle you dead if he caught up with you. What I find so amazing about it all is that back then LE released so very little of the crime details and evidence that we had no idea just how terrified we really should be! We knew he was a killer and we knew he wasn't choosy, that he would kill women, children and men. We had no idea how bad it really was until he returned in 2004. I read Robert Beattie's book, signed on to Kansas.com message boards and dove into the fray of insane serial killer hunters, even hosting a certain notorious PNW serial killer web site owner who had come to Wichita hoping to find the Zodiac Killer. Some people thought and BTK were the same guy.

So in February 2005, when KAKE channel 10 broke in with a live report from Park City, saying that Wichita LE had arrested a man who they believed was the BTK serial killer, I almost fell off of my chair. I saw an aerial view of several unmarked police cars and several marked patrol units that surrounded a Park City Compliance truck, right in front of my best friends home. That blew my mind. Old Dennis the dog catcher was BTK! I started recalling the times that my best friends brother would be visited by Rader for his drumming. Rader showing up with a citation, calling it a noise nuisance, and Mike clapping back with a neighborhood petition saying that the neighbors enjoyed his drumming. Back and forth they would go. Then I see Mike and Dawn on CNN, giving an interview about their dealings with Dennis Rader, I mean, BTK, and they were clearly in shock. We all were! Standing on their back yard deck looking over the fence right at Rader's shed where he kept his dog collars and trophies and whatnot. It was surreal. For someone who has always been a true crime aficionado, this was a jackpot. But it completely geeked me out.

I will forever have absolute love and respect for the late Lt. Ken Landwehr of the Wichita, KS Police Dept. for bringing this monster in. Our city finally slept a good night's sleep after that day in February. I had the opportunity to attend a BTK victim's fundraiser where I met Charlie Otero and Steve Relford. I hope that with the killer behind bars they have turned a corner and moved in a new direction, away from the bad times into better times. I can't imagine how hard it's been for them.

I guess that's about it. Thanks for letting me share my experience.

Wow, quite a story! Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine what it must have been like growing up, living for years with a serial killer stalking in your small city. LE and the news media in your town did an exemplary job, especially when they set the final trap for him.

Indeed! I was watching the news that day when the infamous purple disc came into the newsroom at channel 24. I believe that it was Kelly Otis who had it in his hand as he was coming up that long hallway with a different kind of look on his face. It was a look that said GOTCHA. Rader had fallen prey to his own game and got caught. That was a great day. :)

If you're a true crime reader, and if you're interested in this case, I can recommend one of the best investigative books I've ever read. It's the one by the three Eagle newspaper reporters......the name escapes me right now. I know that Tim Potter is one of the authors. They tell the story from the inside, from the reporters perspective, which for some reason I found really interesting. I thought it was a great read.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whimzee
Back