KS KS - Jackie Hay, 5, Topeka, 12 Sept 1981

Hey, can someone explain this to me? Have they declared her deceased?
Jackie Dene Hay (1976-1981) - Find A Grave...

It appears the headstone in the photograph belongs to Jackie AND her mother, Judith.
The dates match
•Jackie’s birthday, last seen date
•The year her mother died

The location matches
•KS

With that being said, I am not sure whether Jackie has been legally declared dead or not. It’s possible and that’s why the headstone includes her name…or it’s possible family believes she is dead, wants closure, and this is their way of doing so. I personally haven’t come across a source that verifies Jackie has been declared legally dead

It appears the headstone in the photograph belongs to Jackie AND her mother, Judith.
The dates match
•Jackie’s birthday, last seen date
•The year her mother died

The location matches
•KS

With that being said, I am not sure whether Jackie has been legally declared dead or not. It’s possible and that’s why the headstone includes her name…or it’s possible family believes she is dead, wants closure, and this is their way of doing so. I personally haven’t come across a source that verifies Jackie has been declared legally dead
I haven't seen anything either. That's what made me wonder if I was missing something. I thought it was unusual but it's not my place to judge how a family in this situation handles things. I thought the same thing, that maybe this is the way they're dealing with an unimaginable situation.

Jackie Dene Hay – The Charley Project

Last updated September 13, 2021; details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Jackie disappeared after going out to play with her step-siblings and other children in the front yard of their home in the 3100 block of southeast Colfax in Topeka, Kansas. Eventually all the other children went inside, leaving her alone. Her family was getting ready to go to a house they were building south of Topeka when they discovered she was missing, at about 4:00 p.m. on September 12, 1981.

She was last seen walking away from the Colfax and Golf Park, near southeast 31st and Bryant, about one block east of her home. She was apparently being followed by a man at the time. She has never been heard from again.

Authorities did not begin searching for Jackie for four hours after her disappearance was reported. Police picked up a local man that same night, who matched the description of the man seen following Jackie. They questioned him for hours about her disappearance, but ultimately released him without charge.

Jackie lived with her parents and four older step-siblings at the time of her disappearance. She had just started kindergarten at Avondale East Elementary School a few days earlier, and was considered a bright child with a large vocabulary for her age. Her mother died in 2007, but her father is still alive. Authorities believe she was most likely abducted, but few clues available in her case.

Investigating Agency
Source Information

Thank you for sharing that the Charley Project page has been updated. I wish I had a screenshot of the prior page to know exactly what they added but the bit about them going to a house they were building is definitely new.

I found this online article from our local newspaper that I somehow missed! Posted about a week ago. I have a subscription so sharing the link but also the article text here as it is locked without a sub:

Missing girl Jackie Hay disappeared from Topeka home 40 years ago

Watch out for your children.

That's the message Olen Hay wants to share with parents in this community regarding the 40th anniversary of the disappearance of his daughter, Jackie Hay.

The blonde-haired 5-year-old remains missing after vanishing Sept. 12, 1981, while playing near her family's home in southeast Topeka.

Olen Hay, now 78, was calm and genial as he spoke recently with The Capital-Journal about the day his daughter disappeared.

He said he's accepted for many years that Jackie Hay is no longer alive.

Jackie Hay had just started school
Jackie started kindergarten a few days before she disappeared, Olen Hay recalled.

He said his daughter was extremely bright, which became clear whenever she answered phone calls at their home.

"This one guy, this friend of mine, said when you talked to her you wouldn't have known if you were talking to a 20-year-old," Olen Hay said.

He said he and his wife, the late Judy Hay, allowed Jackie and her four older step-siblings to play outside their home in southeast Topeka's Hi-Crest neighborhood, because they considered the community to be fairly safe.

On the Saturday afternoon she vanished, Jackie played hopscotch with some of her step-siblings and other children who lived nearby.

Jackie and her step-siblings then went to the front yard of their home at 3124 S.E. Colfax, two blocks west of S.E. Adams, according to a "Capitol Cold Cases" TV program created and aired beginning in 2010 by KTWU-TV and Capital Area Crime Stoppers.

The other children went inside one by one until Jackie was the last one left outside, that program said.

Family members realized Jackie was missing about 4 p.m. on Sept. 12, 1981, as they prepared to go to the house they were building south of Topeka.

Olen Hay said they contacted Topeka police, but it took about four hours before the department began an official search.

A neighbor told officers she'd seen Jackie following a man near S.E. 31st and Bryant, which is one block east of Colfax.

Police said they questioned a person matching that man's description then released him because of a lack of evidence.

Topekans searched for Jackie Hay en masse
Many concerned citizens joined that evening in searching for the 3-foot, 4-inch, 40-pound girl. Olen Hay said he was touched by the number of people who sought to help.

The Topeka Capital-Journal quoted police Sgt. Ken Gorman as estimating 300 people walked shoulder-to-shoulder that evening in a three-block-long line searching for the girl.

"It kind of makes you feel good," he said about the neighbors' willingness to take part.
An estimated 150 people conducted a second search the day after Jackie's disappearance, scouring heavily wooded areas in southeast Topeka without success, according to The Capital-Journal.

In the days that followed, hundreds of volunteers searched fields in southeast Topeka, police checked abandoned houses and apartments and psychics offered tips on the girl's potential whereabouts, The Capital-Journal reported.

A reward fund was created to accept contributions, which were to be used to pay out money for any information that might result in the girl's being found.

But the numerous tips received all turned out to be futile.

More than six weeks after Jackie's disappearance, Judy Hay delivered an open letter to The Capital-Journal making an appeal to the person responsible for Jackie's disappearance and to any Topekans who may have seen the child.

"The one I feel sorriest for is my husband," she told the newspaper. "I have four children by an earlier marriage. I know he loves them, too, but I know it's not the same. Jackie is his only baby."

Though Jackie hasn't been found, she now shares a tombstone with Judy Hay, who died at age 64 in 2007. Her cremains are inurned at Wakarusa's Shawnee Center Cemetery.

The "Capital Cold Cases" TV program focused on Jackie's disappearance, as well as the 1976 murder in western Shawnee County of 18-year-old Tirell Ocobock.

The program generated 27 tips, though both cases remain unsolved.

'I believe in karma'
Jackie Hay would be 45 if still alive today.

The Topeka Police Department has followed up on multiple leads in the past few years while continuing its investigation into Jackie's disappearance, said Lt. Manuel Munoz.

"This includes KBI DNA testing and multiple interviews in person and by phone," he said. "Unfortunately, those leads have not provided any significant information."

Olen Hay said he hopes to see the case solved but believes whoever is responsible will ultimately pay in some way, shape or form.

"I believe in karma," he said.

Kansas Missing and Unsolved renews call to find Topeka girl missing since 1981

Nearly 41 years after her disappearance, Kansas Missing and Unsolved has renewed the call to find Jackie Hay.

Kansas Missing and Unsolved released its new list of missing children to be on the lookout for. This week, the list includes Jackie Dene Hay who disappeared from Topeka on Sept. 12, 1981, at the age of 5. She would be 46 now.

The flyer indicates Jackie disappeared after she went out to play with her siblings and other neighborhood children in the front yard of their home in the 3100 block of SE Colfax. Eventually, the other children had gone inside and left Jackie alone.

Kansas Missing and Unsolved said around 4 p.m. that day Jackie’s family was getting ready to go to a house they had been building south of Topeka when they found she had been missing.

More at link

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname