Leslie Van Houten up for parole again

Well she is out of prison now. And no more news. Any conditions for her - any restrictions? Will the state of California notify her new neighbors? Will they keep track of her?

I actually wonder what kind of digs she found. I guess she can get SS based on her age even tho she hasn’t worked in the real world.

I'm sorry, but this woman should not still be in prison. She killed nobody. She has spent 3/4 of her life in prison and has been a model prisoner during that whole time. She poses no risk to anybody. We have seen so many worse people paroled, but the politics of Manson makes everybody connected to him an incorrigible. Bobby Beausolei actually murdered someone, no problem with his parole being denied. But Van Houten, stuck a knife into the buttocks of a dead person, 50 years ago. Time to pretend that rehabilitation still has some place.
WRONG again. She admitted to viciously murdering Rosemary LaBianca.

With all due respect to Sharon Tate's sister, LVH had nothing to do with the attacks against her sister, so I am not sure why she feels the need to involve herself in this case, I also think she tends to overstate specifics. Tex pressured a drug-crazed LVH to get her hands dirty as she was reluctant. I think she greatly exaggerated what she did, because the autopsy report certainly did not bear out what LVH claimed way back when. LVH was very much a victim to Manson's drugs and control.
Because her crimes were commited as part of the Manson gang murders the very next night. Debra Tate has EVERY right to be there!

How long has it been for Rosemary?
Agreed.
And, it would be easy to say they only stabbed an already deceased person.
We do not know and prob. never will if Rosemary was still gasping for breath.
Almost too terrible to contemplate.

I do not believe LvH ever was a victim.
Old enough to know murder was wrong, and old enough to walk away from CM.
I am thinking there were some young people in CM's 'poisonous circle' who did indeed choose to leave ?
Only my opinion.

Well she is out of prison now. And no more news. Any conditions for her - any restrictions? Will the state of California notify her new neighbors? Will they keep track of her?

Van Houten is expected to spend about a year at a halfway house, adjusting to a world changed immeasurably by technology in the past half-century.

“She’s still trying to get used to the idea that this real,” her attorney, Nancy Tetreault, told the Associated Press.

“She has to learn to use the internet. She has to learn to buy things without cash,” Ms Tetreault said. “It’s a very different world than when she went in.”

Exactly. and I'm going to re-iterate that I'm a Californian, so I wish people wish quit bashing California, We didn't create this monster.
Didn't we?

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The infamous state prison on San Francisco Bay that has been home to the largest death row population in the United States will be transformed into a lockup where less-dangerous prisoners will receive education, training and rehabilitation under a new plan from California Gov. Gavin Newsom.

The facility will be renamed the San Quentin Rehabilitation Center and the inmates serving prison sentences there will be moved elsewhere in the California penitentiary system. The state has 668 prisoners facing death sentences, almost all of them male, and about 100 have already been moved, state prison officials said.

Newsom’s office cited as a model Norway’s approach to incarceration, which focuses on preparing people to return to society, as inspiration for the program.

At the overhauled San Quentin, vocational training programs would set people up to land good-paying jobs as plumbers, electricians or truck drivers after they’re released, Newsom told the Los Angeles Times.

California voters upheld the death penalty in 2016 and voted to speed up executions. Newsom’s decision to halt them in one of his first major acts as governor drew swift pushback from critics including district attorneys who said he was ignoring the voters.

California to remake San Quentin prison, new focus on rehabilitation | PBS NewsHour

The voters brought him back anyway!

Didn't we?

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The infamous state prison on San Francisco Bay that has been home to the largest death row population in the United States will be transformed into a lockup where less-dangerous prisoners will receive education, training and rehabilitation under a new plan from California Gov. Gavin Newsom.

The facility will be renamed the San Quentin Rehabilitation Center and the inmates serving prison sentences there will be moved elsewhere in the California penitentiary system. The state has 668 prisoners facing death sentences, almost all of them male, and about 100 have already been moved, state prison officials said.

Newsom’s office cited as a model Norway’s approach to incarceration, which focuses on preparing people to return to society, as inspiration for the program.

At the overhauled San Quentin, vocational training programs would set people up to land good-paying jobs as plumbers, electricians or truck drivers after they’re released, Newsom told the Los Angeles Times.

California voters upheld the death penalty in 2016 and voted to speed up executions. Newsom’s decision to halt them in one of his first major acts as governor drew swift pushback from critics including district attorneys who said he was ignoring the voters.

California to remake San Quentin prison, new focus on rehabilitation | PBS NewsHour

The voters brought him back anyway!
I love Newsom, (I've voted for him more than once), except for his decision not to fight Van Houten's release. That disappoints me. When I said monster, I was referring to Van Houten. California is not to blame for her.

I changed my mind. I'm now 100% convinced that Leslie earned and deserved to be released after reading so many comments saying she should be kept in there for the rest of her life. I'm pretty shocked by the responses actually. Again, I've studied this case for years. I'm well aware of what she did. I'm not excusing it. It's not such a cut/dry/black/white thing however. There are waay to many unanswered questions.

I think prison actually saved Leslie from a life of crime. Go look up how most of the rest of " The Family" turned out. Some got in a shootout with police while robbing a gun store. Others went on to kill again. One tried to assassinate the President of the United States. LVH corrected and rehabilitated herself while she was in there. It obviously did her some good.

There are PLENTY of people who deserve to be in prison for the rest of their lives. Leslie Van Hauten isn't one of them. She made a mistake. A horrible, horrible mistake. She's had the horror of that night looking over her shoulder for over 50 yrs. She paid for it and will be paying for it mentally for the rest of her life. I hope she's able to contribute something positive to society. Hopefully she can put some good into the world. I'm rooting for her. I can't go thru life thinking that a person is irredeemable and can not turn their life around when given the chance.

I know this is a very unpopular opinion. I stand by it. Sorry if it's upsetting to some.

I changed my mind. I'm now 100% convinced that Leslie earned and deserved to be released after reading so many comments saying she should be kept in there for the rest of her life. I'm pretty shocked by the responses actually. Again, I've studied this case for years. I'm well aware of what she did. I'm not excusing it. It's not such a cut/dry/black/white thing however. There are waay to many unanswered questions.

I think prison actually saved Leslie from a life of crime. Go look up how most of the rest of " The Family" turned out. Some got in a shootout with police while robbing a gun store. Others went on to kill again. One tried to assassinate the President of the United States. LVH corrected and rehabilitated herself while she was in there. It obviously did her some good.

There are PLENTY of people who deserve to be in prison for the rest of their lives. Leslie Van Hauten isn't one of them. She made a mistake. A horrible, horrible mistake. She's had the horror of that night looking over her shoulder for over 50 yrs. She paid for it and will be paying for it mentally for the rest of her life. I hope she's able to contribute something positive to society. Hopefully she can put some good into the world. I'm rooting for her. I can't go thru life thinking that a person is irredeemable and can not turn their life around when given the chance.

I know this is a very unpopular opinion. I stand by it. Sorry if it's upsetting to some.
It wasn't a "mistake"! She willingly went knowing that she was going to murder people and she was vicious- 16 stab wounds. She felt that she missed out on the fun of the Tate murders. She's admitted this in interviews. She was sentenced to the Death Penalty. She deserves to die in prison for her crime as Susan Atkins did. That's my opinion, and it's never going to change. And I too have studied this case since it happened, I was living in LA at the time.

My take on these terrible crimes, is that if you hold a victim down-- so someone else can stab them, you're just as guilty as if you did the killing yourself.
Imagine being one of the victims; the terror, helplessness, and pain.
Mind numbing.
My .02.

My take on these terrible crimes, is that if you hold a victim down-- so someone else can stab them, you're just as guilty as if you did the killing yourself.
Imagine being one of the victims; the terror, helplessness, and pain.
Mind numbing.
My .02.
Leslie actually did both. First she held Rosemary down, then she stabbed her herself.

it's pretty black and white to the victims
but they can't tell you that cause they're dead
did they die? yes - no grey areas there

life sentence? she should have gotten death, like her victims

can't believe you refer to murder as a 'mistake'
the only mistake is her not receiving a death penalty IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics