Lies Exposed: discuss the cross exam of Arias

Re: observations when CMJA is lying.

Do you notice any difference in behavior when she relates things under questioning by Nurmi versus Martinez?

Did you see any of these behaviors in her early media interviews? I don't remember picking up on them way back when. As a matter of fact, my interest was grabbed because she appeared to be able to lie without skipping a beat.

To me, one of the things that goes hand in hand with her lying is the embellishment, which seems almost childlike in that she throws in this whopper that is begging to be challenged.

I was just thinking about that a little bit ago gc, she knows liars are supposed to be caught and called on it, maybe she throws the big ones in when she thinks she's gotten away with some small ones.

I can't shake this general conception everytime I think about the whole thing, from Redding back to Yreka, it just seems like with almost everything she did, she was trying to get caught.

Rented a car, asked for gas cans, saved all receipts, left obvious staining on the car seats, called the cops, she even tried to revisit the scene of her crime and was vocal about wanting to do so, she had another car rented and even registered a hand gun while knowing she was under suspicion for this murder that involved a gun - when you look at everything it seems she tried so hard to get herself arrested, short of confessing.

Regarding the cut hand from "work" as a bartender. I'm working at a hotel as a bartender/server. She said she cut herself on a glass that had broken. Lies. Why? Because if you break a glass, it must be logged and told to your manager. Barware is not cheap, so inventory is kept. If they do the inventory and the glasses are not found, some places charge the employees for the replacement. Therefore, you have to log your broken glasses. Also, with a cut like the Ryan guy described, they would have noticed and made her bandage it because its unsanitary to serve customers.

Regarding the cut hand from "work" as a bartender. I'm working at a hotel as a bartender/server. She said she cut herself on a glass that had broken. Lies. Why? Because if you break a glass, it must be logged and told to your manager. Barware is not cheap, so inventory is kept. If they do the inventory and the glasses are not found, some places charge the employees for the replacement. Therefore, you have to log your broken glasses. Also, with a cut like the Ryan guy described, they would have noticed and made her bandage it because its unsanitary to serve customers.

The lie evolved into the metal rack where the glasses were stored. She also said she cut her finger on a broken glass that day at Travis'. There are a number of lies about the fingers. jmo

The lie evolved into the metal rack where the glasses were stored. She also said she cut her finger on a broken glass that day at Travis'. There are a number of lies about the fingers. jmo

She told ALV she cut it on an apple, IIRC.

Yes, that seems to be one of her "tells". She also swallows hard, noticeably. There is one more indication I've seen but I am forgetting what it was. Now that we are sensitized to her lying, I must admit I am seeing other criminal liars also insert the umm.

There is also an eyeshift. When she is caught in a lie her eyes change. Her head shifts also.. She is really not good at lying.

But she does it so much it becomes her truth.. She is not fooling anyone.

I find that her voice changes in pitch. When she's lying and thinks that she's fooling everyone, her voice gets higher and calmer. When she's getting caught, it gets deeper. Also, she plays with her hair when she lies. She touches it in some way.

I find that her voice changes in pitch. When she's lying and thinks that she's fooling everyone, her voice gets higher and calmer. When she's getting caught, it gets deeper. Also, she plays with her hair when she lies. She touches it in some way.

Yes, yes, the self-touching, she can't leave her hair and body alone when she's fibbing, constantly messing with her hair, picking imaginary hairs off her shirt and scratching her arms.

And another thing~~"actually", as in "I never had it in my possession, actually." She often inserts this word when she lies but does not use it otherwise. She also uses strong emphasis when lying, e.g. her statements regarding the refund at Walmart. An optimum way to present her lies is in her mind to convince, rather than to merely say what is a false fact. The more she stresses the falsehood, the better she defends it from the truth, in her protective view. One more reason why her lies are so insulting. It's like "If I spit this in your face, you WILL accept it."

The finger cut lies were so unnecessary and weird. Why even lie about it? We already know you killed Travis with a knife where slippage was probably an issue due to all the blood. I guess, in her mind, she was protecting the lie about Travis breaking her finger and that admitting that she cut it during the murder is admitting that she cut her left ring finger causing the injury. Only a slippage cut would cause an injury that bad so she had to downplay the cuts on her hands Ryan saw. But, again, just admit it. Don't even make up the lie about the broken finger. But, Jodi needs you to feel sorry for her, especially for that finger. She probably feels sorry for herself that she bunged her finger so bad during the commission of the killing. Juan did get her to admit to the cut on her finger being the only visible injury she sustained on June 4th. She didn't even realize she said it. She probably still doesn't. She didn't catch it because it's the truth.

And the more I think about it, the more stupid I think she is for even bothering to rent a car. While she rented it out of town, she had to use a card. And even if people saw the car sitting around Travis' house or the car was spotted on traffic cam, they would eventually trace the car back to Jodi due to her renting it and Ryan Burns seeing it. I am sure she was hoping that her sexual wiles would hypnotize him enough that he would cover for her, like McCartney and Darryl Brewer. Look at the evil, hateful look she gives him during his testimony. I didn't see her looking at any other person quite the same way. I imagine that's the face the Hughes' saw that night in their home when she scared them and the face Travis saw on June 4th. She's so mad that he didn't stay in her corner.

But back on topic, lol. It was stupid renting the car. It didn't help and just pointed even more to her guilt. She really did think she was such a genius that she could plan and get away with a murder. Her actions smack of "God, I am so brilliant." Imagine her surprise when immediately everyone knew it was her.

She's probably sitting in her jail cell right now trying to think of some way to explain away that third gas can. It's probably very difficult. Even on the stand slipper Jodi couldn't think of anything other than to defend the lie. I wish one of the reporters had asked her about it during her media melee. There's absolutely no explanation. And it's going to be interesting seeing her trying to keep the finger cut injury stories straight, deciding which one is the one she settled on. No way the defense attorneys want her on the stand again. Well...maybe competent ones wouldn't.

Re: observations when CMJA is lying.

Do you notice any difference in behavior when she relates things under questioning by Nurmi versus Martinez?

Did you see any of these behaviors in her early media interviews? I don't remember picking up on them way back when. As a matter of fact, my interest was grabbed because she appeared to be able to lie without skipping a beat.

To me, one of the things that goes hand in hand with her lying is the embellishment, which seems almost childlike in that she throws in this whopper that is begging to be challenged.

She also smirks and says "and" & "um" when she's lying. Yes--I've also noticed the inane detail she goes into when telling a BS story--lots of embellishment.

I was just thinking about that a little bit ago gc, she knows liars are supposed to be caught and called on it, maybe she throws the big ones in when she thinks she's gotten away with some small ones.

I can't shake this general conception everytime I think about the whole thing, from Redding back to Yreka, it just seems like with almost everything she did, she was trying to get caught.

Rented a car, asked for gas cans, saved all receipts, left obvious staining on the car seats, called the cops, she even tried to revisit the scene of her crime and was vocal about wanting to do so, she had another car rented and even registered a hand gun while knowing she was under suspicion for this murder that involved a gun - when you look at everything it seems she tried so hard to get herself arrested, short of confessing.

I wonder if this is due to the fact that her "audience" was not that intelligent--maybe she lived her life with losers like Matt M., who were easy to snow. I don't mean to insult anyone, but I think she was the smartest one in her group--so she was able to get away with her pathological lying without many consequences.

She was so complacent due to all of her "wins"--all the lies she got away with, so that when her BS was actually examined by brilliant people like Det. Flores & JM, it fell apart immediately.

For some strange reason, she thinks she can talk and explain her way out of everything, including things like the 3rd gas can, which is such a stupid lie.

I noticed this when JM was doing closing arguments--he said that she returned the gas can to the same Walmart in Salinas--and she was sitting there shaking her head and mouthing "no." This lie was busted wide open! Does she think she has magical powers or something?

She needed the broken finger to prove abuse by Travis. Problem is there is and was no x-ray to show the finger was ever broken. jmo

She needed the broken finger to prove abuse by Travis. Problem is there is and was no x-ray to show the finger was ever broken. jmo

I wonder why no one ever asked for an X-ray, even now!

I wonder why no one ever asked for an X-ray, even now!

Defense does not want one done and the State can't ask for it, I would imagine. jmo

I could have sworn Beth Karas said the damage to her finger is from slicing it while killing Travis and since it was not treated properly the tendon healed in a shorter length causing the finger to be bent.

That makes the most sense to me. I know that TA never battered her. He did not even defend himself.. He could have taken her out but even then he did not hurt her.

I could have sworn Beth Karas said the damage to her finger is from slicing it while killing Travis and since it was not treated properly the tendon healed in a shorter length causing the finger to be bent.

That makes the most sense to me. I know that TA never battered her. He did not even defend himself.. He could have taken her out but even then he did not hurt her.

She cut her flexor tendon and even tells Det. Flores that the area where her finger joints her hand is flat "as if there is nothing there" which is the exact description of a severed flexor tendon. The result of not treating the injury is a finger bent exactly like JA's. Det. Flores tells JA that he has seen that injury before on someone who stabbed a person and their hand slipped cutting themselves on the blade because of the blood making the knife slippery. JA just continues on as if he never said a word to her. Gotta love it. jmo

When CMJA was showing her injuries from the Ninjas to Det. Flores, she pointed out her ring finger and the baby finger. She said that the cut on the ring finger was deeper. I remember seeing her hand sometime during the trial and it looked like there was tendon damage to the baby finger as well. Her baby finger did not straighten.

Sky Hughes was very emphatic to point out the injuries that CMJA would have suffered if he had attacked her in any way, either as the aggressor or in self defense. Travis was physically fit, strong and knew some moves. The fact that she had only minor injuries as observed in SLC the next day speaks volumes. He clearly did not attack her and it would seem that he was taken by surprise with little opportunity to defend himself and his life.

I know that I'm preaching to the choir with that last paragraph.

And number 10 on the Embellishment Scale, "they were papers & one of them kind of went sailing off the bed and it fell in that chaotic way paper falls and it landed face up near my feet and it was a photograph."

(My number 9 is the gun, "I never had it in my possession, actually.")

What is this "it"? The gun she rose in the air to fetch? Well, we know she had that "in her possession", she herself was quite explicit about that. Or is she revealing that "it" is the .25 auto she stole from her grandfather (w/o realizing she is making that reference).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back