Local Reporter In Hot Water Over Stebic Story

I cannot imagine what thought actually brought her to this brink. This intelligent, competent reporter crossed the line this far to do a story? Something tells me there is more to this story! She did not just insert herself at this point and she should be looked at in the investigation as a whole. Maybe she was a friend of his sister's. Maybe she has known him for a long time and the family. She surely had the advantage...but where did it start? We all know where it ended.

I cannot imagine what thought actually brought her to this brink. This intelligent, competent reporter crossed the line this far to do a story? Something tells me there is more to this story! She did not just insert herself at this point and she should be looked at in the investigation as a whole. Maybe she was a friend of his sister's. Maybe she has known him for a long time and the family. She surely had the advantage...but where did it start? We all know where it ended.

I agree, there must be much more to this relationship than meets the eye - even if the relationship is innocent, she should have known better than to mix business with pleasure! And if it is less than innocent, then she was just plain stupid!

Some food for thought: I've read in a couple of articles that Melanie Greenberg (Lisa Stebic's cousin) has defended Amy Jacobsen's actions, saying that she has done a good job of keeping the case in the news and reporting on it. I'm wondering if the ties are with Lisa's relatives and perhaps they put Amy up to getting "chummy" with Craig, in order to see what info she could gain from him?

Pretty far-fetched, perhaps, but who's to say to what lengths one might go, given similar circumstances?

I was appalled when I heard this story yesterday Amy Jacobson was NBC's top reporter. I heard it on Dan Abrams show last nite.My Hubby listens to WGN radio everyday and he heard it on there and he said alot of ppl were calling in and saying they thought she got railroaded by WBBM for ratings! She was caught on tape by WBBM who happened to be next door on another story! She showed bad judgement and she is so surprised that she got fired yesterday??? DUH??
http://www.suntimes.com/news/commentary/463009,CST-EDT-edits11b.article
Snip......
Partying with source rightly sinks TV reporter

July 11, 2007
Reporter Amy Jacobson of WMAQ-Channel 5 got herself fired Tuesday after rival station WBBM-Channel 2 filmed her attending a pool party on her day off, two kids in tow, at the home of Craig Stebic, the estranged husband of a missing Plainfield woman. If you're like us, you're asking yourself, "What was she thinking?"

She was likely thinking it was a good way to cozy up to a key figure in one of the area's juiciest stories this summer. The search for Lisa Stebic has been covered extensively in the Chicago and national media since she vanished on April 30, and it would not be surprising if Jacobson was simply trying to cultivate Stebic's husband as a source. Such are the connections from which scoops are made.

But in a swimsuit? With her sons? Jacobson said the invitation, from Stebic's sister, came as she was on her way to go swimming elsewhere with her children, but she should have changed into something a little more appropriate and dropped the kids off at home. Her bosses know it -- which is why she was fired -- and she does too.
More at site..............
Amy's side of the story!

The video that got Amy fired
HER SIDE OF THE STORY | NBC5's Jacobson didn't think 'lapse in judgment' would result in her termination. 'I'm devastated'
http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/463211,CST-NWS-feder11.article
Snip..
July 11, 2007
BY ROBERT FEDER Sun-Times Columnist
Although she acknowledged a "lapse in judgment" for going swimming with the estranged husband of a missing Plainfield woman, Amy Jacobson never imagined it would destroy her career as a reporter for WMAQ-Channel 5.

"I'm crushed. I can't lie to you. I'm devastated," she said in her only interview, just hours after she was fired by the NBC-owned station Tuesday.

"I thought they would suspend me and then support me. I can't believe they did this after all I'd done for them. They know why I was there. There was never any challenge as to my motivation or intent," she said.
More at site.....

Uh huh. Sounds like sour grapes to me and she better stop while she still has half a name to fall back on. That is..her husband's. Oh, wait...did HE know she was there with HIS children?!

Uh huh. Sounds like sour grapes to me and she better stop while she still has half a name to fall back on. That is..her husband's. Oh, wait...did HE know she was there with HIS children?!

IMHO, IF she was just there for the story, why would she jeopradize her OWN children? IF a person is capable of killing ONE person, they're capable of killing MORE.

She showed BAD judgment and it cost her BIG TIME! I'd like to know what her husband thinks about this.:doh:

JMHO
fran

Geeeeeeeeezzzz! I cannot believe she did this!
If it was an inside track she was TRULY after I personally know how she feels. I have been thinking for awhile now that it is unbelievable that they can't find her or a suspect. It truly frosts my chaps.
By the way, isn't it a bit soon for him to be partying????? What a COB!!

<<Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching
Uh huh. Sounds like sour grapes to me and she better stop while she still has half a name to fall back on. That is..her husband's. Oh, wait...did HE know she was there with HIS children?!>>

You couldn't be more wrong...It is her name...She is a famous Chicago reporter, native Chicagoan.

Go to www.wlsasm.com and listen to the podcast. She clearly states she called her husband and asked his permission before he brought the children.

Craig's sister, husband and three children were there. She was not alone with Craig.

The sister was from Iowa, in from there...it was a one-time chance to cultivate the sister as a source.

Lisa's family (cousin) called in and said how grateful the family is for Amy's coverage of the story.

Imagine how important it is to have a stranger with ears open seeing how the Stebic children are doing and looking for clues as to the disappearance of your relative. The tiniest slip of the tongue can lead to the discovery of Lisa's remains.

<<Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching
Uh huh. Sounds like sour grapes to me and she better stop while she still has half a name to fall back on. That is..her husband's. Oh, wait...did HE know she was there with HIS children?!>>

You couldn't be more wrong...It is her name...She is a famous Chicago reporter, native Chicagoan.

Go to www.wlsasm.com and listen to the podcast. She clearly states she called her husband and asked his permission before he brought the children.

Craig's sister, husband and three children were there. She was not alone with Craig.

The sister was from Iowa, in from there...it was a one-time chance to cultivate the sister as a source.

Lisa's family (cousin) called in and said how grateful the family is for Amy's coverage of the story.

Imagine how important it is to have a stranger with ears open seeing how the Stebic children are doing and looking for clues as to the disappearance of your relative. The tiniest slip of the tongue can lead to the discovery of Lisa's remains.

I couldn't agree more.

But don't bring your kids along.

I was appalled when I heard this story yesterday Amy Jacobson was NBC's top reporter. I heard it on Dan Abrams show last nite.My Hubby listens to WGN radio everyday and he heard it on there and he said alot of ppl were calling in and saying they thought she got railroaded by WBBM for ratings! She was caught on tape by WBBM who happened to be next door on another story! She showed bad judgement and she is so surprised that she got fired yesterday??? DUH??
http://www.suntimes.com/news/commentary/463009,CST-EDT-edits11b.article
Snip......
Partying with source rightly sinks TV reporter

July 11, 2007
Reporter Amy Jacobson of WMAQ-Channel 5 got herself fired Tuesday after rival station WBBM-Channel 2 filmed her attending a pool party on her day off, two kids in tow, at the home of Craig Stebic, the estranged husband of a missing Plainfield woman. If you're like us, you're asking yourself, "What was she thinking?"

She was likely thinking it was a good way to cozy up to a key figure in one of the area's juiciest stories this summer. The search for Lisa Stebic has been covered extensively in the Chicago and national media since she vanished on April 30, and it would not be surprising if Jacobson was simply trying to cultivate Stebic's husband as a source. Such are the connections from which scoops are made.

But in a swimsuit? With her sons? Jacobson said the invitation, from Stebic's sister, came as she was on her way to go swimming elsewhere with her children, but she should have changed into something a little more appropriate and dropped the kids off at home. Her bosses know it -- which is why she was fired -- and she does too.
More at site..............
Amy's side of the story!

The video that got Amy fired
HER SIDE OF THE STORY | NBC5's Jacobson didn't think 'lapse in judgment' would result in her termination. 'I'm devastated'
http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/463211,CST-NWS-feder11.article
Snip..
July 11, 2007
BY ROBERT FEDER Sun-Times Columnist
Although she acknowledged a "lapse in judgment" for going swimming with the estranged husband of a missing Plainfield woman, Amy Jacobson never imagined it would destroy her career as a reporter for WMAQ-Channel 5.

"I'm crushed. I can't lie to you. I'm devastated," she said in her only interview, just hours after she was fired by the NBC-owned station Tuesday.

"I thought they would suspend me and then support me. I can't believe they did this after all I'd done for them. They know why I was there. There was never any challenge as to my motivation or intent," she said.
More at site.....

Hi Sunny !:blowkiss: Long time no see ! We seem to be following this same story. Wow, still can't believe what this reporter did.....:bang:

Right after she was fired it was said that through her investigative means she had gotten some stuff that, I don't remember how it was said, but would be shocking or something.

I guess she owns the rights to it personally and will use it thru her next employer. I know she was highly paid and most likely doesn't need to stoop to selling it to the trashloids (and she realizes whatit would do to her professional reputation).

But, ever since hearing that I have wondered "WHAT IS IT THAT SHE HAS?"

And in her communication with PPD - have they asked her to sit on it?

And now that I think about it..........why am I asking this question?

If Amy had anything of real value...there would have already been a Grand Jury seated or an arrest.

If it was taped during her employment at NBC (WMAQ) they own the rights to the tape. If Amy was a good reporter and really cared about the victims she would and should have turned it into the police.

If it was taped during her employment at NBC (WMAQ) they own the rights to the tape. If Amy was a good reporter and really cared about the victims she would and should have turned it into the police.

Mystic Chic - it is common (published) knowledge that while Craig Stebic agreed to speak with Amy J, several times.....he would not (on the advice of his attorney Dion Davi) allow the photojournalist, often accompanying her, to roll (tape) on the discussions.
So WMAQ NBC5 owns nothing save for their previously aired reports, raw footage of interviews and notes filed by Amy.
In my business, Investigative Journalists are not required to tape, take hard notes or audio record any part of their research unless they wish to.
It is only when they get everything lined up properly, for that all-important interview, do they bring in the cameras/phone recorders/undercover lipstick cams-in-bags, etc.

It was strictly up to Amy's discretion as to when & if to do this, in any of the stories she was assigned to cover, as an Investigative Reporter.

And who is to say that she did not provide the more salient pieces of those un-recorded discussions to the PPD/FBI, if she felt that it might give them a better insight into Lisa's whereabouts?

It was noted in the Chicago Tribune that Amy had, indeed, mentioned a few insights to the PPD just prior to her Live Shots for WMAQ-NBC5, which she felt might help them in their investigation.
She put forth, in one interview, that there is an important supportive, inter-relationship (as far as she was concerned) between LE and the Media, when trying to solve a possible crime.

Especially one as excruciating as Lisa's.

Many journalists disagree with her (see Eric Zorn's editorial columns).. but, then again, those folks weren't ever in the Stebic's Plainfield home - looking directly into Lisa's childrens eyes.

The question I would like you all to ask yourselves, quietly, is that if you (being a parent of your own children) see two motherless children in obvious pain...and you alone had an opportunity to try to help them, as well as cover both sides of the story....what would you do?

I pointed out before ( in another posting - which has since been removed by the Admin) that Amy was there that Friday at the direct invitation of Craig's sister - Jill - and her family (complete with young children) to get to know them...and their side of the story.
Their departure for their home in Iowa was imminent....a slim window.
Now, you would think that Lisa's family might not approve of this visit...but you would be wrong.

Anything which will help end this agony was and is welcome.

The edited reporter package from CBS2 portrayed an erroneous visual.
This was a meeting of two women with small children, on a swelteringly hot day, concerning a mysterious disappearance of a young mother ...and had very little to do with directly interviewing (or gathering information from) Craig Stebic, himself.

But people didn't want to see or know of the truth of this situation...the worldwide media frenzy (starting with the CBS2 newsroom) wanted to assign/project a more prurient image of this working play-date.
There was no "pool party"...in the normal terms, as we all know them.
This was a impromptu visit, requested by Craig's family, at the last minute - on Amy's day off.
Her young children see the pool, they are all in bathing suits anyway (since Amy & her kids - both under the age of 4 - were on their way to their private club) and they beg to get into the pool, to cool off prior to having a bite to eat before the women have a chance to sit down and talk.
Meanwhile, the CBS2 crew cruises into the neighborhood (attempting to get a SOT from Craig, as to if he is planning to attend the next day's search in Silver Springs State Park but are denied access to the property) recognize Amy's vehicle...and proceeds to stakeout the Stebic home....filming the backyard pool area utilizing a professional Betacam, mounted on a large tripod, upfitted with an Extender (this is what we call special Zoom attachment, in TV News photography), undercover, via a neighbors living room window.
(This neighbor, btw, was also a totally innocent bystander in this situation - believing they were helping to solve Lisa's disappearance, according to the CBS2 crew).

There's more to the story of the airing of the video-tape...but as you can see on the CBS2 website...the management was pressured (by the public outcry) into showing the entire 6 minutes of the unedited videotape, admit that the tape was shot professionally by their own crew (it did NOT just "fall into their laps", btw) and defend their decision to air a strictly sensationalistic story, intended to discredit their competition (during a Nielsen Ratings Book/July Sweeps period).
Although they registered a record amount of hits to their website in the initial days of the airing of the story...their overall numbers for their 10pm (the most revenue-rich newscast of any television station) dropped precipitously for the July Book (by approx. one-third).

So, in light of all of this loss...on the part of everyone involved....
Now that all is perceived in retrospect...what good did this do, for anyone..and especially for Lisa and her children?

Lives, Careers, Trusts ruined...and for what ?!

Mystic Chic - it is common (published) knowledge that while Craig Stebic agreed to speak with Amy J, several times.....he would not (on the advice of his attorney Dion Davi) allow the photojournalist, often accompanying her, to roll (tape) on the discussions.
So WMAQ NBC5 owns nothing save for their previously aired reports, raw footage of interviews and notes filed by Amy.
In my business, Investigative Journalists are not required to tape, take hard notes or audio record any part of their research unless they wish to.
It is only when they get everything lined up properly, for that all-important interview, do they bring in the cameras/phone recorders/undercover lipstick cams-in-bags, etc.

It was strictly up to Amy's discretion as to when & if to do this, in any of the stories she was assigned to cover, as an Investigative Reporter.

And who is to say that she did not provide the more salient pieces of those un-recorded discussions to the PPD/FBI, if she felt that it might give them a better insight into Lisa's whereabouts?

It was noted in the Chicago Tribune that Amy had, indeed, mentioned a few insights to the PPD just prior to her Live Shots for WMAQ-NBC5, which she felt might help them in their investigation.
She put forth, in one interview, that there is an important supportive, inter-relationship (as far as she was concerned) between LE and the Media, when trying to solve a possible crime.

Especially one as excruciating as Lisa's.

Many journalists disagree with her (see Eric Zorn's editorial columns).. but, then again, those folks weren't ever in the Stebic's Plainfield home - looking directly into Lisa's childrens eyes.

The question I would like you all to ask yourselves, quietly, is that if you (being a parent of your own children) see two motherless children in obvious pain...and you alone had an opportunity to try to help them, as well as cover both sides of the story....what would you do?

I pointed out before ( in another posting - which has since been removed by the Admin) that Amy was there that Friday at the direct invitation of Craig's sister - Jill - and her family (complete with young children) to get to know them...and their side of the story.
Their departure for their home in Iowa was imminent....a slim window.
Now, you would think that Lisa's family might not approve of this visit...but you would be wrong.

Anything which will help end this agony was and is welcome.

The edited reporter package from CBS2 portrayed an erroneous visual.
This was a meeting of two women with small children, on a swelteringly hot day, concerning a mysterious disappearance of a young mother ...and had very little to do with directly interviewing (or gathering information from) Craig Stebic, himself.

But people didn't want to see or know of the truth of this situation...the worldwide media frenzy (starting with the CBS2 newsroom) wanted to assign/project a more prurient image of this working play-date.
There was no "pool party"...in the normal terms, as we all know them.
This was a impromptu visit, requested by Craig's family, at the last minute - on Amy's day off.
Her young children see the pool, they are all in bathing suits anyway (since Amy & her kids - both under the age of 4 - were on their way to their private club) and they beg to get into the pool, to cool off prior to having a bite to eat before the women have a chance to sit down and talk.
Meanwhile, the CBS2 crew cruises into the neighborhood (attempting to get a SOT from Craig, as to if he is planning to attend the next day's search in Silver Springs State Park but are denied access to the property) recognize Amy's vehicle...and proceeds to stakeout the Stebic home....filming the backyard pool area utilizing a professional Betacam, mounted on a large tripod, upfitted with an Extender (this is what we call special Zoom attachment, in TV News photography), undercover, via a neighbors living room window.
(This neighbor, btw, was also a totally innocent bystander in this situation - believing they were helping to solve Lisa's disappearance, according to the CBS2 crew).

There's more to the story of the airing of the video-tape...but as you can see on the CBS2 website...the management was pressured (by the public outcry) into showing the entire 6 minutes of the unedited videotape, admit that the tape was shot professionally by their own crew (it did NOT just "fall into their laps", btw) and defend their decision to air a strictly sensationalistic story, intended to discredit their competition (during a Nielsen Ratings Book/July Sweeps period).
Although they registered a record amount of hits to their website in the initial days of the airing of the story...their overall numbers for their 10pm (the most revenue-rich newscast of any television station) dropped precipitously for the July Book (by approx. one-third).

So, in light of all of this loss...on the part of everyone involved....
Now that all is perceived in retrospect...what good did this do, for anyone..and especially for Lisa and her children?

Lives, Careers, Trusts ruined...and for what ?!

What if the police decided to come in and arrest Craig? Her kids were right there. You never take children to an assignment or story! Are you related to Amy? Amy did something wrong. She got busted for it. It's not like this is the first time, nor will it be the last time she will do something like this.
CBS (WBBM) had every right to film what they did. Most big stories Fox has an additional camera facing the media. So, what's the big deal with that? Amy is a public figure. She has a morals clause in her contract.
Amy should have dropped her kids off at home first. Then went over there. Who is this? Amy's husband or agent? You know what a SOT is so you must know something about the media.

What if the police decided to come in and arrest Craig? Her kids were right there. You never take children to an assignment or story! Are you related to Amy? Amy did something wrong. She got busted for it. It's not like this is the first time, nor will it be the last time she will do something like this.
CBS (WBBM) had every right to film what they did. Most big stories Fox has an additional camera facing the media. So, what's the big deal with that? Amy is a public figure. She has a morals clause in her contract.
Amy should have dropped her kids off at home first. Then went over there. Who is this? Amy's husband or agent? You know what a SOT is so you must know something about the media.

Mystic - I am neither Amy's husband or agent. I am the co-creator of Lisa's website...and the designer of the extremely successful campaign which was launched to actually FIND LISA STEBIC !!!
I only know and met Amy through her tremendously fine work in investigating Lisa's case.
What I put forth is on behalf of Lisa's family. Period.
Because we have that right, nothing more...nothing less.

Again, Craig was not a suspect, at that time...nor was he even a "Person of Interest" (officially).
We are very sorry that Amy and her children were even involved in this mess....that she was trying her best to solve this case, as best she knew how for all of us.
And I know what an SOT is...because I have been in the Media (not in Chicago) for over 25 years.
And it is because of my expertise...my knowledge...and my creative, hard-driven ways of planning/organizing/writing that any of you ever got to hear the name "Lisa Stebic".
Do a little bit of research, please.
Visit Lisa's website (wwwFindLisaStebic.com) ...review all of the links and listed articles...and you will see exactly with whom you are speaking.

I'll admit, I balked when I heard about Amy Jacobson taking her kids to the Stebic home. We were all given the wrong impression by the media and it's a shame that Amy has been vilified.

You never get the whole story with the media and that's a darn shame, especially for Lisa, her family and friends.

I'll admit, I balked when I heard about Amy Jacobson taking her kids to the Stebic home. We were all given the wrong impression by the media and it's a shame that Amy has been vilified.

You never get the whole story with the media and that's a darn shame, especially for Lisa, her family and friends.

Ditto

I'm sorry but yes we would of heard the name Lisa Stebic. Lisa went missing and her friend called and made a police report and the local media was following the reports and then national T.V started reporting about a loving,caring mother of two precious children went missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back