Still Missing MA - Ana Walshe, 39, allegedly left home, may have been dismembered, Cohasset, Jan 2023 *husband indicted* #4

With every delay, I think of Ana's two young boys who have already lost so much. I hope they are safe and in good company.

I think she has 3 young boys. Does anyone know if they are still in state custody? This breaks my heart.

I was thinking about her boys yesterday along with her mother living out of the country. It's so sad. Ana was loved and needed. I have wondered about her mother in law too. He ruined so many lives!

I think she has 3 young boys. Does anyone know if they are still in state custody? This breaks my heart.

I don't think DCF is allowed to comment on their situation. Normally, of course, they would first look for people with kinship or close family ties to take care of the children so we could assume that was done. I would point out, however, that even if the kids are living full-time in the most loving foster home, even one provided by a close family member, they are still in "state custody" until such time as all parental rights are terminated. "State custody" has more to do with who has the right to make legal decisions concerning the kids and less to do with where they are physically housed. MOO

Good to learn DCF had options for the children:

1/16/23

Doane lived next door to Ana and Brian Walshe and their boys in 2018.

In fact, Judy sold the couple the house at 6 Edgewood Road in Marblehead two years before they moved to Cohasset.

Now, Judy says she has contacted DCF and even filled out an application to take the boys from DCF and care for them herself.

"I don't want them to be separated. I think the number one concern is finding Ana and finding out what happened, but those kids need each other," said Doane.

Judy says two other families with kids have also reached out to DCF. No word on what will happen to the boys, but Judy can't believe what has happened to this family since New Year's Day.

"I saw her every day. She was beautiful every day. Every day she was decked out in her smile -- I never saw her upset. I never saw him upset. It was the strangest thing. To think this is happening is like that?" said Doane.

AUG 23, 2023
[...]

NBC10 Boston Legal analyst Michael Coyne said the DNA is especially important in this case because investigators never found Ana Walshe’s body. Coyne said not only do prosecutors have to prove that he murdered his wife, they also have to prove that she’s dead.

“A bone fragment in and of itself doesn’t prove death necessarily. It proves she may have been injured, but they’re trying to prove first-degree murder,” Coyne said.

The DNA development comes after a community tip from two people prompted a police search of a wooded area in Peabody Tuesday. Authorities later said the search yielded nothing, but Coyne said the timing is curious.

“That is interesting that so much time has elapsed and both of these witnesses referred to the same place and the government feels that it’s sufficiently strong information that they undertake the search of that area,” Coyne said.

[...]

Thursday, November 2nd:
*Pretrial Conference Hearing (@ 2pm ET) - MA - Ana Walshe (39) was last seen at her home in Cohasset shortly after midnight on New Year’s Day, Jan. 1, 2023, Cohasset according to her husband. She was reported missing Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023 from her employer in Washington D.C. - Brian R. Walshe (47/now 48) arrested (1/8/23), charged & arraigned (1/9/23) with intimidation/misleading police during the investigation into his wife's disappearance. Bond $5M Surety/$500K Cash. Plead not guilty.
*Re-Charged (1/17/23) & arraigned (1/18/23) with murder, assault to beat Ana with intent to murder & improper transport of body. Plead not guilty. Held without bond pending indictment.
Indicted (3/30/23), re-charged & arraigned (4/27/23) with 1st degree murder, for misleading a police investigation/obstruction of justice & for the improper conveyance of a human body. Plead not guilty. Held without Bond.
Case & court info from 1/6/23 thru 3/30/23 reference post #507 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ideshare-to-airport-cohasset-4.658134/page-26

3/31/23 Update: DA Morrissey said his office would provide the arraignment date as soon as it was finalized by Norfolk Superior Court. Walshe remains held without bail. In Massachusetts, a conviction of murder in the first degree carries a mandatory life sentence in prison without the possibility of parole. 4/5/23 Update: Walshe will appear in North Superior Court for arraignment hearing on 4/27/23 @ 10am.
4/27/23 Update: A new statement of the case from prosecutors indicates Brian Walshe allegedly hired a private investigator to follow his wife Ana when he suspected her of having an affair. He’ll be arraigned for his wife’s murder in Superior Court today. In filing, prosecutors allege Walshe suspected Ana was having an affair, and hired PI. Search of Cohasset home and his Volvo revealed presence of blood. Charges of 1st degree murder were read & Walshe plead not guilty. Defense attorney Tracy Miner asks for $250K cash bond. Says the evidence against her client is circumstantial & he has been cooperative with police. Next pretrial conference hearing on 8/23/23 @ 2pm & pretrial hearing on 11/2/23 @ 2pm.
8/23/23 Update: According to newly obtained court documents, Walshe’s pretrial hearing was rescheduled from 8/23/23 to 11/2/23 as both prosecutors and defense are expecting to have DNA results from an “independent laboratory” in approximately two weeks.

NOV 2, 2023
A pre-trial hearing which may include new DNA evidence is scheduled in the case of Brian Walshe, a Cohasset, Massachusetts, man who is accused of murdering his wife, Ana Walshe, and dismembering her body.

[...]

Items from the high-profile case were sent to an independent laboratory for DNA analysis in August. Prosecutors and defense attorneys are expected to discuss any new evidence that was discovered during Thursday's hearing.

Assistant District Attorney Greg Connor did not specify the items that were sent to the lab for DNA testing, but the prosecution previously revealed they had recovered numerous items with blood, including a knife, hacksaw and a hatchet.

[...]

Brian’s pretrial hearing was rescheduled from Aug. 23 to Nov. 2 because both prosecutors and the defense team were still awaiting the new DNA results.

Sorry to parachute into the thread with questions, but I stopped following the case a while back.

1/Has there been any word on how the children are doing? Were family or friends able to step in and take care of them as they had wanted to initially?

2/ How is Ana’s mother?

3/Any word or statement from Brian’s mother?

4/Any word from Ana’s alleged boyfriend?

Sorry to parachute into the thread with questions, but I stopped following the case a while back.

1/Has there been any word on how the children are doing? Were family or friends able to step in and take care of them as they had wanted to initially?

2/ How is Ana’s mother?

3/Any word or statement from Brian’s mother?

4/Any word from Ana’s alleged boyfriend?
All great questions.

NOV 2, 2023
“The Commonwealth and the defense are still in the process of identifying and exchanging discovery. In addition, the Commonwealth is currently awaiting DNA analysis from an independent laboratory and is expected to have those results in approximately two weeks. Both parties are moving for the joint motion to continue,” court documents obtained by Boston 25 News in August stated.

In court on Thursday morning, it was announced that the hearing was postponed again until Jan. 23, 2024.

NOV 2, 2023
[...]

Walshe did not appear during Thursday's hearing ...

A prosecutor said that attorneys for both sides of the case recently had a conference call with a private lab called Bode, which the state sent about a dozen samples to. A number of those samples were said to be "quality limited," and testing was stopped. An expert for the defense is expected to visit the lab for a viewing.

The Commonwealth added that the state crime lab has completed its criminalistics, although attorneys have not yet received a final report.

Prosecutors will select some samples to be tested at the state lab.

Walshe's attorney said they expected to have "everything" by the end of the year ...

[...]

NOV 9, 2023
The state's crime lab has finished analyzing evidence in the death of Cohasset's Ana Walshe, lawyers said during a hearing in Superior Court, where Walshe's husband, Brian, is scheduled to be tried on murder charges.

[...]

Lawyers at Thursday's pretrial hearing discussed issues related to discovery, the process by which both parties share evidence they plan to present at trial.

Brian Walshe's defense attorney Tracy Miner said she expected discovery to be complete by the end of the year.

In April, Walshe pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, misleading a police officer and improper conveyance of a human body.

The next hearing in the high-profile case is scheduled for Jan. 23. Walshe, who did not appear in court Thursday, also waived his right to be present at the January hearing.

[...]

more delays.... :(

Dec. 12, 2023
COHASSET, MASS. (WHDH) - An attorney for Brian Walshe is seeking to withdraw from the case.
[.....]
Brian was first arraigned in January. In an update Tuesday, the Norfolk District Attorney’s office confirmed one of Brian’s attorneys now wants off the case.

more delays.... :(

Dec. 12, 2023
COHASSET, MASS. (WHDH) - An attorney for Brian Walshe is seeking to withdraw from the case.
[.....]
Brian was first arraigned in January. In an update Tuesday, the Norfolk District Attorney’s office confirmed one of Brian’s attorneys now wants off the case.

What an odd announcement where the attorney seeking to withdraw is not named?!!

I don't recall if BW has one or two defense lawyers for this case but I'm going to assume it's Tracy Miner seeking to withdraw.

Miner's been representing BW on his Federal art fraud case since March 2021 for an indictment dating back to 2018. The grand plea agreement Miner negotiated for him was undeserved.

We know he's been waiving appearances in court including pretrial conference scheduled for late January. I believe it was only a few weeks ago that Miner stated she thought they would have discovery by end of the year, and this was after a defense expert was being sent to visit a lab that had issued warnings about the limited quantity of shared evidence to examine.

In other words, I think Miner's been busy with this case and not sure what BK has been doing while he hides out from court. MOO

DEC 12, 2023
A Massachusetts man who is accused of murdering his wife nearly a year ago and dismembering her body is getting a new lawyer.

On Tuesday, attorney Larry Tipton told 5 Investigates that he was asked to defend Brian Walshe, of Cohasset, because he needs a public defender.

[...]

Tipton also represents Emanuel Lopes, the 25-year-old Brockton man accused of shooting and killing Weymouth police Sgt. Michael Chesna and Weymouth resident Vera Adams on July 15, 2018.

[...]

Tracy Miner, an attorney from the defense firm Miner Siddall, told the Norfolk district attorney office that she plans to file the motion to withdraw this week.

Legal Analyst Said What?

@PommyMommy Not directing at you, just jumping off the quote from your MSM link.

Aug. article* reported re legal analyst:
"Coyne said not only do prosecutors have to prove that he murdered his wife, they also have to prove that she’s dead."

Is there some way prosecutors could prove he murdered her, without also proving she's dead?
Scratching my head.

ETA: Now after listening to audio at link, I realize those exact words did not come out of analyst's mouth. The reporter who said it in vid & wrote it in article attributed it (w no quote marks) to the legal analyst.
This is not the finest hour of MSM reporting.

Regardless, what a sad case. RIP Ana Walshe.
NBC10 Boston Legal analyst Michael Coyne said the DNA is especially important in this case because investigators never found Ana Walshe’s body. Coyne said not only do prosecutors have to prove that he murdered his wife, they also have to prove that she’s dead.
“A bone fragment in and of itself doesn’t prove death necessarily. It proves she may have been injured, but they’re trying to prove first-degree murder,” Coyne said.
(sbm)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125
Back