MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

In my opinion, looking at the gash, it is more on the top of his head which is even harder for me to imagine if hit by a car and thrown down.
What if he was already down on the ground or partially on the ground? What was his BAC? If he was intoxicated he would not be steady on his feet.

The judge has made some decisions which to me, as a non-lawyer, seem questionable. She allowed the prosecution to drag their feet on turning over evidence to the defense, in some cases for over two years. And now she seems to be setting an extremely aggressive schedule, barely allowing the defense time to file their motions and make their pre-trial arguments.

I definitely get the impression she doesn't like the defense team much. Perhaps because they filed a motion for her recusal (which she denied). In particular Alan Jackson seems to really get under her skin.
Can the public somehow recuse this judge if she won't do it herself?

How would the car hit his cocktail glass AND the back of his head? And how did the body end up 10-12 feet away if he was already down/partially down?
Right?
At best I could guess that he had to bend down for something, put his cocktail glass on the bumper, then the car roared to life and struck him?? Not very plausible.

Where did he get the cocktail glass from if he never entered the house??

Yeah like I said before if he was wearing a winter coat I'm sure the sleeve would be soaked in dog DNA if he was attacked like that. I can't imagine why that piece of evidence is being withheld from the defense.
Still catching up on this case.
I was thinking the same thing, wouldn't dog saliva (and maybe dog blood) have coated his arm with ample DNA to test?

I reviewed the autopsy photos and compared them to forensic dog bite images. I have to say, they look very similar to me. I guess the canines are usually the most prominent injuries because an arm is a cylindrical surface. They look like pairs of puncture wounds with trail marks, all in the same direction. They could measure the distance between the canine marks left on the victim and compare it to the dogs mouth measurements.

If the dog is not around anymore, they can't cast the dogs teeth and match it to the injuries.

Right?
At best I could guess that he had to bend down for something, put his cocktail glass on the bumper, then the car roared to life and struck him?? Not very plausible.

Where did he get the cocktail glass from if he never entered the house??

He's on video walking out of the bar/restaurant where they were drinking that night with it in his hand IIRC. So he had it in the car before they drove to the place where his body was later found.

this is one of the sketchiest cases of all time.... the lead investigator on the case being close with the people whose lawn john died on, said people (a COP himself & his wife) NOT coming outside when a boston police officer was dead on their lawn (!!!), everyone leaving an after-bar party by 1:30/2am (...doesn't track...), karen being the only person who was really concerned & doing CPR & freaking out, just ALL of it isn't right.

some people have a hard time believing police officers are capable of nefarious actions and i will never understand that. lucy letby was a pediatric nurse and murdered defenseless babies. people are capable of heinous activity and it doesn't matter what their profession is. in fact, there are a great many who choose a profession where they will be seen in a positive light and have greater access to vulnerable populations.

if you look solely at the facts here, karen read should not be the one on trial. My opinion.

How would the car hit his cocktail glass AND the back of his head? And how did the body end up 10-12 feet away if he was already down/partially down?
He slips and falls breaking the glass or throws it at the car. They were likely arguing so who knows. Then she hits him causing the head injury. He drags himself to where he lays injured then freezes to death.

Wasn't the search allegedly at 2:27am "hos long to die in cold" ?

EDIT: this was a typo from Boston Globe. The filing has the correct spelling of the search
mccabe googled how long to die in the cold at 227am then after "discovering" o'keefe's body at 6 something AM and her narrative is that "karen read kept yelling at her to google that" (???) that's in the filings from both prosecution & defense (that mccabe said karen yelled at her 2 or 3x to google that) and the prosecution did not hand over the evidence of mccabe's google searches until february 2023. (documents filed by alan jackson attached; additional news story)
++
Prosecutors have long denied that Massachusetts State Police Trooper Michael Proctor, a lead investigator on Read’s case, had close ties with the Alberts. However, Jackson alleged federal officials determined that Proctor texted about having Julie Albert — Brian Albert’s sister-in-law — babysit for him 10 days before O’Keefe was killed.

Then, three days after O’Keefe’s death, Jackson said Proctor’s sister texted Proctor that Julie Albert wanted to give Proctor a thank-you gift “when all this is over.” According to Jackson, Proctor also admitted before a federal grand jury that he knows the Alberts, socializes with them, drinks with them, and goes to pool parties with them.

adding in some other interesting recent stuff:

Jackson said that Canton police Sgt. Michael Lank has a “personal, lifelong relationship” with one of the witnesses, Brian Albert. Lank was the first person to enter 34 Fairview Road, the Canton home where O’Keefe’s body was found outside, according to Jackson.

Jackson referred to a fight from 2002 involving Brian Albert, the homeowner at 34 Fairview Road, as an example that Lank previously used his position in law enforcement to “shield” a member of the Albert family from criminal liability — something that was never disclosed during the district attorney’s investigation.
++

A “clear and egregious” conflict of interest exists between lead State Police investigator Michael Proctor and witnesses in the case, Jackson said, adding that the relationships were withheld during the state’s investigation.

In text messages uncovered by federal investigators from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Jackson said that 10 days before O’Keefe’s death, Proctor texted his own family members about having a member of the Albert family babysit his child.

“There is a level of closeness that cannot be understated,” Jackson said.

Jackson said another text message unearthed by the federal investigation exemplified “quid pro quo” between Proctor and an Albert family member named Julie.

Three days after O’Keefe died, Proctor received a text from his sister: “Just saw Julie and Julie said when all this is over, she wants to give you a thank you gift.”

Instead of notifying the Norfolk District Attorney’s Office or stating that an exchange of gifts should never be suggested again, Jackson said, Proctor simply replied, “Get Elizabeth one.”
++

Her defense team, led by attorney Alan Jackson, presented a motion to dismiss the second-degree murder case against Read in Norfolk County Superior Court in Dedham.

She is accused of running down John O’Keefe in reverse with her Lexus SUV in Canton but an accident reconstructionist hired by the FBI found O’Keefe’s injuries did not appear to be from a car strike.

“The damage on the car was inconsistent with having made contact with John O’Keefe’s body. In other words, the car didn’t hit him, and he wasn’t hit by the car. Period. Full stop,” Read’s attorney Alan Jackson said.

The defense claims O’Keefe was beaten and attacked by a dog inside the former Canton home of another Boston police officer named Brian Albert in a wide-ranging cover-up involving local and state law enforcement.

Jackson said State Police Detective Michael Proctor, the lead detective assigned to investigate O’Keefe’s death, had a personal relationship with members of the Albert family that was not disclosed to the state grand jury that indicted Read.

“It’s not lost on anybody in this courtroom that for two years the Commonwealth has been denying it,” Jackson said.
1710355056520.png

1710355015319.png
1710355084443.png

i forgot how the neighbor across the street from the alberts is also in law enforcement and had ring camera directly facing the albert yard yet was never asked to hand over this footage and simply said "there's nothing there".
this is one of the best articles about the case imo!!

It wasn’t long before a far more sinister theory of what happened began to emerge. On his drive home after the arraignment, Yannetti says, he returned a call to a tipster who had previously called his office. A man with a gravelly voice—who initially offered up a fake name—picked up the phone and told Yannetti, he recalls, something to the effect of, “Your client is innocent. John was beaten up by Brian Albert and his nephew. They broke his nose, and when O’Keefe didn’t come to, Brian and a federal agent dumped his body on the front lawn.” (An attorney for the man Yannetti identified as the tipster denies Yannetti’s version.)

Given the new information, Yannetti and Read say they began to believe that Read was being framed. They hired a private investigator to knock on doors in Canton. Most people turned the gumshoe away, but Canton resident Tom Beatty—a friend of both O’Keefe and Read—offered up a new tidbit: His daughter, who was friends with Brian Albert’s nephew Colin Albert, said that Colin had been at 34 Fairview Road the night O’Keefe died.

When Read heard this, she says, the news transported her back to a night during the spring of 2020 when O’Keefe’s home-security alarm went off, and he bolted out of bed. She followed him down the stairs and says she remembered seeing Colin Albert and several teens in the front yard. “Go (eff) yourself,” Read remembered Colin yelling at O’Keefe. “Get the (eff) out of here,” she recalled her boyfriend replied. The next morning, Read says, the couple awoke to a dozen empty Bud Light cans strewn in the bushes. The police were never called, but from then on, she says, there was bad blood between Colin and O’Keefe. In fact, she now adds, Colin was the only person with whom O’Keefe ever had issues.

Last edited:
He slips and falls breaking the glass or throws it at the car. They were likely arguing so who knows. Then she hits him causing the head injury. He drags himself to where he lays injured then freezes to death.
if you've viewed the autopsy photos, this theory just doesn't make sense (respectfully).
also why would she leave him to die and leave voicemails saying I HATE YOU? makes no sense to me

If the dog is not around anymore, they can't cast the dogs teeth and match it to the injuries.

Well, that’s one of the questionable hmmm issues of this case. The dog in question, whom the homeowners (Brian Albert and family) had for years apparently, was said to have been “rehomed” at some point shortly after the event. No explanation and certainly no investigation as to why.

Why do you think it's "likely" they were arguing? They were acting very lovey-dovey when they were last seen on camera just a few minutes earlier. People on social media who say they were fighting are just making a circular argument: She hit him so they must have been arguing <--> They were arguing so she must have hit him.

Aside from that, I think there are several issues with your theory. For starters, JO was found lying on his back. So if he crawled into the yard, did he flip himself over with his last breath? It also doesn't explain the wounds on his arm nor the ones on the back of his hands. By the same token, if he was run over by a car, you would expect to see crush injuries as well as grease, dirt, tire tracks, etc. on him or his clothes. None of which was reported by the medical examiner. And also, if he was lying down, how did the taillight get broken? It's a good 18-24" above the ground. Running over a prone person, you would expect to see a broken bumper instead, but the remainder of the car was apparently undamaged.

One thing that would be very helpful to know is where the taillight shards were found. That would indicate exactly where the supposed collision occurred. Unfortunately, the police neglected to photograph or document the location they found the pieces. They pieces were also not found until many hours later, after KR's car was taken into evidence. (The police initially claimed otherwise, but the defense eventually uncovered that the times on the police report were off by over an hour.)

The latest from Ted Daniel of Boston 25 news: Massachusetts State Police internal affairs is investigating Michael Proctor.

Edit - Here's the news story:

The Massachusetts State Police Internal Affairs Unit is investigating a State Police Detective for a potential violation of department policy in connection with the Karen Read murder case.

Last edited:
The latest from Ted Daniel of Boston 25 news: Massachusetts State Police internal affairs is investigating Michael Proctor.

Edit - Here's the news story:

The Massachusetts State Police Internal Affairs Unit is investigating a State Police Detective for a potential violation of department policy in connection with the Karen Read murder case.
This case is an absolute dumpster fire, I’ve never seen anything like it.

Why do you think it's "likely" they were arguing? They were acting very lovey-dovey when they were last seen on camera just a few minutes earlier. People on social media who say they were fighting are just making a circular argument: She hit him so they must have been arguing <--> They were arguing so she must have hit him.

Aside from that, I think there are several issues with your theory. For starters, JO was found lying on his back. So if he crawled into the yard, did he flip himself over with his last breath? It also doesn't explain the wounds on his arm nor the ones on the back of his hands. By the same token, if he was run over by a car, you would expect to see crush injuries as well as grease, dirt, tire tracks, etc. on him or his clothes. None of which was reported by the medical examiner. And also, if he was lying down, how did the taillight get broken? It's a good 18-24" above the ground. Running over a prone person, you would expect to see a broken bumper instead, but the remainder of the car was apparently undamaged.

One thing that would be very helpful to know is where the taillight shards were found. That would indicate exactly where the supposed collision occurred. Unfortunately, the police neglected to photograph or document the location they found the pieces. They pieces were also not found until many hours later, after KR's car was taken into evidence. (The police initially claimed otherwise, but the defense eventually uncovered that the times on the police report were off by over an hour.)
So what do you think caused the gash on the back of JO's head and the other injuries?
It doesn't matter to me how JO was found because he could have rolled onto his back, his side, or been face down. He was injured. I don't think he was run over. I think he was hit, injured and then dragged himself or stumbled to where he was found deceased.
From everything I read and watched in the media so far they didn't sound like a happy couple.

“The damage on the car was inconsistent with having made contact with John O’Keefe’s body. In other words, the car didn’t hit him, and he wasn’t hit by the car. Period. Full stop,” Read’s attorney Alan Jackson said.

If the FBI has proven that the crime didn't occur as the DA explains, why doesn't that void the entire case?

So what do you think caused the gash on the back of JO's head and the other injuries?
I don't have a particular view of how JO died. I've said before that none of the theories I've heard to date are completely consistent with the evidence. But the various injuries he suffered, including the head injuries, arm scratches, wounds on the back of his hands and lack of body or leg wounds seem to point to a physical fight rather than a hit-and-run collision with a car.

IMO, the police investigation has been so compromised that it's possible we will never know.

What if he was already down on the ground or partially on the ground?
He slips and falls breaking the glass or throws it at the car...Then she hits him causing the head injury.
I don't think he was run over.
All RSBM.

With all due respect, I think you're a bit all over the place in your view of what happened.

But whether he was standing, sitting or lying down, the wounds and the damage to the car are not consistent with a collision, IMO. And the expert the FBI retained seems to agree with that conclusion.

Neither of those options explain how glass would be embedded in the bumper of the car AND right next to the body.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back