MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

NORFOLK COUNTY, Mass. (Court TV) — State police confirmed that a lead investigator in the Karen Read case is under investigation. The announcement came just one day after Read’s attorneys alleged ‘significant relationships’ while arguing for a motion to dismiss.

Posted at 10:03 AM, March 14, 2024

So I have a question that’s been nagging me since the Tuesday hearing and can’t seem to find an answer. Hoping someone here has some insight.

It was said at the hearing Tuesday that discovery revealed to defense that DA Morrissey provided permission to Brian Albert (BPD and homeowner of home JOK found at) and Brian Higgins (Fed agent and partygoer at house night in question) to destroy their phones.

My question is do law enforcement personnel routinely destroy phones for whatever reason aka replacement upgrade etc? If not, I don’t see it’s possible this scenario would be normal and not a culpable act.

Why do you think it's "likely" they were arguing? They were acting very lovey-dovey when they were last seen on camera just a few minutes earlier. People on social media who say they were fighting are just making a circular argument: She hit him so they must have been arguing <--> They were arguing so she must have hit him.

Aside from that, I think there are several issues with your theory. For starters, JO was found lying on his back. So if he crawled into the yard, did he flip himself over with his last breath? It also doesn't explain the wounds on his arm nor the ones on the back of his hands. By the same token, if he was run over by a car, you would expect to see crush injuries as well as grease, dirt, tire tracks, etc. on him or his clothes. None of which was reported by the medical examiner. And also, if he was lying down, how did the taillight get broken? It's a good 18-24" above the ground. Running over a prone person, you would expect to see a broken bumper instead, but the remainder of the car was apparently undamaged.

One thing that would be very helpful to know is where the taillight shards were found. That would indicate exactly where the supposed collision occurred. Unfortunately, the police neglected to photograph or document the location they found the pieces. They pieces were also not found until many hours later, after KR's car was taken into evidence. (The police initially claimed otherwise, but the defense eventually uncovered that the times on the police report were off by over an hour.)

MOO - O'Keefe was done with KR. She is striking, undoubtedly very bright and strong-willed, but I think he said that it was over during the argument.

So I have a question that’s been nagging me since the Tuesday hearing and can’t seem to find an answer. Hoping someone here has some insight.

It was said at the hearing Tuesday that discovery revealed to defense that DA Morrissey provided permission to Brian Albert (BPD and homeowner of home JOK found at) and Brian Higgins (Fed agent and partygoer at house night in question) to destroy their phones.

My question is do law enforcement personnel routinely destroy phones for whatever reason aka replacement upgrade etc? If not, I don’t see it’s possible this scenario would be normal and not a culpable act.
NOPE. DA needs an investigation & to be thrown out of his position. In my 15? years of following crime, working in a sector of it, doing searches, etc, etc, I have NEVER EVER EVER heard of that. EVER. It made me gasp.

NOPE. DA needs an investigation & to be thrown out of his position. In my 15? years of following crime, working in a sector of it, doing searches, etc, etc, I have NEVER EVER EVER heard of that. EVER. It made me gasp.

And all while there was an existing court order to preserve them. It’s extraordinary but I’ll be surprised if ever addressed formally.

I would love @PrairieWind to respond to this.

MOO - O'Keefe was done with KR. She is striking, undoubtedly very bright and strong-willed, but I think he said that it was over during the argument.
It sounded like they were a couple who liked to “ bicker”. He/she imo probably said it’s over many times. Perhaps “normal” for them - heated arguments/ reconciliation and the cycle goes on. Plus without question they were both “ hammered” that night. Alcohol fueled arguments are also very common. Lots of dysfunction for sure but in no way do I believe she hit him with the car.
They way LE has bungled the entire investigation imo it is likely we may never know exactly what occurred that night unless someone comes forward who was there and was not totally impaired.
It was an after party after being at the bar - lots of heavy drinking that night - so everyone’s memories may not be sterling either
Hard to believe what has happened with this case. I really do hope it’s a “one off” with LE over there in Canton. We desperately need integrity in our systems.
JMO

@TedDanielnews

David Yannetti and his sister, attorney Tanis Yannetti are sitting next to Read. Tanis was recently added to the defense. It appears Alan Jackson is joining via video. He's based in LA

WATCH LIVE: Karen Read, woman charged in murder of police officer boyfriend, back in court.

David Yannetti and his sister, attorney Tanis Yannetti are sitting next to Read. Tanis was recently added to the defense. It appears Alan Jackson is joining via video. He's based in LA

An attorney for Trooper does not object to defense seeking records from Mass State Police internal affairs unit. MSP has said they are looking to see if violated department policy. Judge approves it

Brian Higgins stopped responding to Brian Albert calls according to Yannetti from federal grand jury findings. Yannetti says Brian Albert then called Canton Police Officer Kevin Albert

Yannetti says Brian Albert was concerned that everyone got a subpoena from the feds except for Higgins.

Yannetti wants phone records from Brian Albert and Brian Higgins and Kevin Albert

Yannetti says phone records are relevant to the defense argument that there is a conspiracy

Yannetti also requesting phone records from former Canton Police Chief Ken Berkowitz

ADA Lally says defense argument for records is injected with hyperbole and conjecture and directly contradicted by federal findings

Lally says ppl defense wants records from were friends before this investigation.

Lally calls its the very epitome of fishing objection

Brian Albert's attorney Greg Henning says the motion for BA's phone records is impounded and he hasn't even seen the order

An attorney for Trooper Proctor does not object to defense seeking records from Mass State Police internal affairs unit. MSP has said they are looking to see if he violated department policy. Judge approves it

Atty Henning says it’s difficult to argue for his his client Brian Albert b/c he doesnt have access to federal findings.

Atty Henning says the Feds told him Brian Albert and his family are NOT targets of their fed investigation and Brian Albert will turn over his phone records, because Henning says, "he has nothing to hide”

ATF agent Brian Higgins is NOT a target of the federal investigation. His attorney says the feds revealed that to him recently.

Attorney for Higgins: Higgins opposes request for his phone records because his attorney says there is not factual basis to support request

Attorney for Canton Police Officer Kevin Albert objecting to request for his phone records saying he has nothing to do with a cover up alleged by defense

and weeks after

Yannetti says then Canton Police Chief Ken Berkowitz was in communication with Brian Higgins and Brian Albert in the hours after O'Keefe's body being found

Yannetti bringing up then Canton Police Chief found taillight evidence on February 4th after multiple sweeps of the scene

Defense will file an additional motion today and ada says he filed one as well. Judge bringing everyone back Tuesday

@TedDanielnews

Another reporters' perspective:

About 30 Karen Reed supporters earlier today, (March 20,2024) were lining up on the stairs in front of the Norfolk Superior Court. http://CantonCommunityTv.org is in the courtroom waiting for today’s hearing to start at about 2pm.

Karen Read Hearing is almost underway…

Court is underway in the Karen Read hearing.

No objection to Rule 17 regarding internal affairs docs on Trooper Proctor

Defense lawyer David Yannetti: wants information regarding contact between special agents Brian Higgins, Brian Albert and Canton Police officer Kevin Albert. Also records former Canton Chief Berkowitz. This is no fishing expedition.

Prosecutors Lally: They all knew each other, of course they’d talk. It’s the ultimate fishing expedition.

Greg Henning, attorney for Brian Albert: Does not have Rule 17 order. Judge is surprised. (Lally apologizes for that.) Brian Albert is not a target in the Federal investigation and I have permission to reveal this.

Attorney for Brian Higgans attorney Connolly: Confirms that Mr. Higgans is not a target of the federal investigation. Not willing to turn over phone given his position.

Kevin Albert’s attorney also objects to having phone records released.

Defense Attorney Yannetti: Higgins changed story that he did call Brian Albert back. 2:22am call before the body was found. Brian Albert changed story and said his call was accidental. Butts do not answer phones. Higgins was at the home that night. Involves Berkowitz & taillight

Next hearing is Tuesday— court adjourned

@CantonCommunity

It's ridiculous that discovery still isn't done and the trial is in three weeks.

Edit -

According to the defense, they made a strategic decision not to file the motion to dismiss because of government misconduct. Any lawyers want to comment on what their strategy could be?

Last edited:
The defense's motion to dismiss is denied.

“Given the extensive evidence supporting the indictments, to the extent that the Commonwealth improperly put before or withheld any evidence from the grand jury, it is unlikely that it affected the outcome of the proceedings,” Judge Beverly Cannone wrote in the 24-page decision.

Cannone said she reviewed documents from the federal investigation, and “while they reveal several examples of Trooper Proctor’s unprofessional and questionable conduct, they do not shed much light on the extent of his relationship with the witnesses and what impact, if any, the relationships had on his investigation.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back