MA MA - Simone Ridinger, 17, Sherborn, 2 Sept 1977

Was it ever known if the police searched her apartment ?
Would like to know if it appears she went home first and changed out of her work clothes...there are two versions out there of what she was wearing (work outfit/ skirt and boots)
Waitress claims she immediately left work and started hitchhiking but elderly man states he picked her up following day in early AM. If we are to believe him, why would she still be in her work clothes a day later? And according to him, she smelled as if working all day.
Something is definitely off!

Was it ever known if the police searched her apartment ?
Would like to know if it appears she went home first and changed out of her work clothes...there are two versions out there of what she was wearing (work outfit/ skirt and boots)
Waitress claims she immediately left work and started hitchhiking but elderly man states he picked her up following day in early AM. If we are to believe him, why would she still be in her work clothes a day later? And according to him, she smelled as if working all day.
Something is definitely off!
If the old man's story is true, then she most likely did not go to her own apartment after work. If she had, then I think that she would have changed out of her work clothes.
And if the story was true, then I think that she might have been involved with the cop who handed her off to the old man.
That would explain why things were done off the record.
I am inclined to believe the story; the old man had no known reason to come forward with a bogus story.
If his story was true, then Simone's remains are probably in the Hyannisport area rather than in the Sherborn area.

I have been reviewing this case. What stands out to me is ...the original description of what Simone was wearing consisted of jewelry, wrap around printed skirt, and brown boots. In 1986, the 79 year old man came forward and said she was wearing blue jeans, jewelry, blue pullover blouse, grubby white sneakers, and carrying a duffel bag. This was never released. Years later, a waitress working with Simone that day gave the exact description the elderly man did! IMO, he must have came into contact with simone...either the way he said it did..or under suspicious circumstances. If he killed her, why come forward and possibly implicate yourself after several years at almost 80 years old? But, Simone started hitchhiking Friday afternoon around 330. The elderly man stated this occurred Sat morning at 645 AM. So where was she, in the same clothes, for around 14 hours? And why was she in the back of a cop cruiser in the first place early AM?
Also, the elderly man was pulled over by this cop for a traffic violation. That tells me he had Simone, a civilian, in the back of his car while he was pulling over this man...is that even legal?
I keep going back and forth on this...opinions?

I have been reviewing this case. What stands out to me is ...the original description of what Simone was wearing consisted of jewelry, wrap around printed skirt, and brown boots. In 1986, the 79 year old man came forward and said she was wearing blue jeans, jewelry, blue pullover blouse, grubby white sneakers, and carrying a duffel bag. This was never released. Years later, a waitress working with Simone that day gave the exact description the elderly man did! IMO, he must have came into contact with simone...either the way he said it did..or under suspicious circumstances. If he killed her, why come forward and possibly implicate yourself after several years at almost 80 years old? But, Simone started hitchhiking Friday afternoon around 330. The elderly man stated this occurred Sat morning at 645 AM. So where was she, in the same clothes, for around 14 hours? And why in the back of a cop car ?
Also, the elderly man was pulled over by this cop for a traffic violation. That tells me he had Simone, a civilian, in the back of his car while he was pulling over this man...
I keep going back and forth on this...opinions?
Did the old man state Simone was in the back of the patrol car? I can't remember, sorry.
I ask because the very few times I've ever been in one, it was in the front seat because they were offering assistance, not hauling me off. Like I went off the road in the time before cell phones and sat in my car until a passerby called the police, and minutes later, an officer showed up. He allowed me to sit in his car, in the front seat, until the tow truck came to haul me out of the ditch. Heck, he didn't even ask me if I'd been drinking or how I got into the ditch, as the roads were bare. No, I hadn't been drinking, I got sucked into some mud on a dirt road when I tried to turn around. I stink at backing out. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, in my experience, most people are passengers in the front seat of a patrol car unless they're in trouble, then they're in the back seat. I can't imagine hitching a courtesy ride with a police officer and being relegated to the back seat, like a criminal.

The witness, an elderly man who is now deceased, said he'd been en route to the Cape when he was stopped for a violation at a rest area at the intersection of Route 128 and Route 109 in Westwood, Massachusetts. The state trooper who stopped him had Simone in the backseat of his car, and asked the witness to give her a ride to the Cape.
BBM for focus

Found this on Charley Project. Maybe it's just me, but I can't picture putting someone who was along for a ride in the back seat of a patrol car, unless there was some state regulation prohibiting a passenger being in the front seat. For one, it would be embarrassing to the passenger to be in the back seat of patrol car if you weren't in trouble, because that's where criminals usually go. So, this leads me to believe a couple of things:
1. The old man's story isn't true.
Or,
2. Simone was either initially in trouble for something petty like drunk and disorderly or public drinking, and the trooper picked her up with the idea of taking her in, that maybe she was inebriated and/or became unconcious/incapacitated at some point, and needed the to be in the back seat. Then the trooper decided not to pursue charges and just wanted to be rid of her after she slept off whatever she may have been on. This is assuming she'd gone to a party or get together the night before.

I just can't imagine if she'd been picked up hitchhiking that she'd be sitting the back seat unless it was mandated.

IF the elderly man's story is true, maybe something transpired between Friday 330pm and Saturday 630AM...that landed Simone in the cop car wearing the same attire.
OR, the story isn't true and he was trying to get info on how much info LE knew. Trying to distance himself by saying she smelled, wore grubby shoes, and that an officer handed Simone over to him for a ride.
I tend to believe the man did see Simone. The description was too accurate and not made public at the time.

Did the old man state Simone was in the back of the patrol car? I can't remember, sorry.
I ask because the very few times I've ever been in one, it was in the front seat because they were offering assistance, not hauling me off. Like I went off the road in the time before cell phones and sat in my car until a passerby called the police, and minutes later, an officer showed up. He allowed me to sit in his car, in the front seat, until the tow truck came to haul me out of the ditch. Heck, he didn't even ask me if I'd been drinking or how I got into the ditch, as the roads were bare. No, I hadn't been drinking, I got sucked into some mud on a dirt road when I tried to turn around. I stink at backing out. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, in my experience, most people are passengers in the front seat of a patrol car unless they're in trouble, then they're in the back seat. I can't imagine hitching a courtesy ride with a police officer and being relegated to the back seat, like a criminal.
I have asked cops for rides two different times (once when I had lost my cars keys, for instance) and both times I was frisked and made to sit in the back of the patrol car on a plastic seat. I don't think many cops would let someone sit in the front seat with them nowadays, but I can totally buy a male cop in the 70s letting an attractive young woman sit up front with him even if he didn't know her. If he did know her, then it's a given that she would have been riding shotgun.

I have asked cops for rides two different times (once when I had lost my cars keys, for instance) and both times I was frisked and made to sit in the back of the patrol car on a plastic seat. I don't think many cops would let someone sit in the front seat with them nowadays, but I can totally buy a male cop in the 70s letting an attractive young woman sit up front with him even if he didn't know her. If he did know her, then it's a given that she would have been riding shotgun.
I got stuck in the mud back in the late 90s. Wasn't frisked or anything like that, and wasn't even asked what I was doing out in the middle of nowhere in a ditch, which would have been my first question if the roles were reversed. But I live in a very low crime area, so that may have had something to do with how my situation was handled. Plus, I wasn't asking for a ride. Maybe if I'd needed one, he would have asked me to sit in the back, I don't know. He offered to stay with me, until the tow truck came, for my safety. It just seems odd to me Simone would have been in the back seat, but that's from my personal experience. I don't know what the procedures are or if each state/area is different.

I got stuck in the mud back in the late 90s. Wasn't frisked or anything like that, and wasn't even asked what I was doing out in the middle of nowhere in a ditch, which would have been my first question if the roles were reversed. But I live in a very low crime area, so that may have had something to do with how my situation was handled. Plus, I wasn't asking for a ride. Maybe if I'd needed one, he would have asked me to sit in the back, I don't know. He offered to stay with me, until the tow truck came, for my safety. It just seems odd to me Simone would have been in the back seat, but that's from my personal experience. I don't know what the procedures are or if each state/area is different.
In most precincts, a civilian would never be allowed to sit in the front seat of a police car under any circumstances unless is was pre-approved ride-along situation (with a journalist, for instance). That would have been true back in the 70s, too. However, the idea of a cop breaking the rules and letting a female sit in the front seat wouldn't surprise me that much considering the time period. (It wouldn't happen now, but in '77, it would have been a possibility.)
There is not a snowflake's chance in hell that a male civilian would be have been allowed to sit in the front seat.

In most precincts, a civilian would never be allowed to sit in the front seat of a police car under any circumstances unless is was pre-approved ride-along situation (with a journalist, for instance). That would have been true back in the 70s, too. However, the idea of a cop breaking the rules and letting a female sit in the front seat wouldn't surprise me that much considering the time period. (It wouldn't happen now, but in '77, it would have been a possibility.)
There is not a snowflake's chance in hell that a male civilian would be have been allowed to sit in the front seat.
I'm surprised he let me sit up front with him, then. I would have stayed in my own car had I been relegated to the back seat because I wouldn't have wanted people driving by to think it was a crime scene or something and I was the criminal.

I'm surprised he let me sit up front with him, then. I would have stayed in my own car had I been relegated to the back seat because I wouldn't have wanted people driving by to think it was a crime scene or something and I was the criminal.
I am shocked that a cop would let you sit in the front seat. You must have come across as extremely non-threatening, even for a woman. The cop probably could have been fired for that.

The case I mentioned where I lost my keys and needed a ride was back in the 90s; even back then it would have been unheard of for a cop to allow a civilian to sit in the front seat.

Went through UID pics today....nothing, IMO, resembling Simone....
So double checking here...she was suppose to see the boyfriend in jail but did not show up for the visit, correct?
I would like to know at the time of Simones disappearance, how many officers were on duty the day Simone vanished and if the current detectives working this case were ever able to track them down and question them if still alive? Would there even be a record of some kind showing who was on duty in 1977?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PCook77
Back