Madeleine McCann General Discussion Thread No. 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Portuguese police judicial system

April, all criminal cases in Portugal - and elsewhere in much of Europe - are governed by the law of judicial secrecy.
This means that once a criminal investigation is under way, police cannot reveal anything about that investigation, including any details about potential suspects.
I am well aware of the secrecy laws Prickle as we have talked about them many times here. The question is...are the PJ? Somebody needs to tell them as they don't seem to believe the secrecy laws apply to them.:waitasec:

The PJ were very active early on in leaking to the press many of the untrue rumours damaging the McCanns. They later admitted and regretted that leaks had come from their own officers.
A couple of articles.....

We DID leak stories to the press about Madeleine, top Portuguese cop confesses

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=488887&in_page_id=1811

Madeleine McCann: Police cheif breaks silence

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...-mostviewedbox

''The leaks to the press of some details that are supposed to be classified have been used as an easy way to manipulate and shape public opinion," says Francisco Louçã, leader of a Portuguese opposition party.

I think Prickle meant that details of an ongoing investigation cannot be revealed officially.

Leaks to the media could help in the investigation. For instance, a leak regarding the possible location of a corpse could bring the perp back to the scene, under surveillance, to try and move the corpse. Result? Busted! It has been done in the past by LE and it is not an unheard of tactic.

How, why and with what result these "leaks" have affected this case is yet to be revealed.

We also do not know how many of these leaks may have been "untrue rumors that damaged the McCanns". That is pure speculation. I think being named arguidos in this case has been the most damaging to them.

Leaks happen in every police jurisdiction. Sometimes they are trying to get someone to crack. Sometimes they are just trying to reassure the public that they are working hard and there is alot there, but are not allowed to do that through "official" channels.

They are still arguidoes the last time I checked. So nothing has really changed, and it's possible there is damning evidence against the McCanns. That is just as likely as any other scenario that has been floated (like egg-head man or the mis-identified children).

If a "leaked" news story leads to solving what happened to Madeleine, I'm all for it.

I think Prickle meant that details of an ongoing investigation cannot be revealed officially.

Leaks to the media could help in the investigation. For instance, a leak regarding the possible location of a corpse could bring the perp back to the scene, under surveillance, to try and move the corpse. Result? Busted! It has been done in the past by LE and it is not an unheard of tactic.

How, why and with what result these "leaks" have affected this case is yet to be revealed.

We also do not know how many of these leaks may have been "untrue rumors that damaged the McCanns". That is pure speculation. I think being named arguidos in this case has been the most damaging to them.
Colomom apart from Madeleine being missing this case is all speculation...and therefore damaging.

It's ok for the PJ to think they are above the law....and secrecy law be damned :rolleyes: If so these laws should be scrapped as they are being used by the PJ to gag arguidos from defending themselves.
I think this is the truth of why the PJ leaked the rumours. No noble cause here.IMO.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...-mostviewedbox

''The leaks to the press of some details that are supposed to be classified have been used as an easy way to manipulate and shape public opinion," says Francisco Louçã, leader of a Portuguese opposition party.

Colomom apart from Madeleine being missing this case is all speculation...and therefore damaging.

It's ok for the PJ to think they are above the law....and secrecy law be damned :rolleyes: If so these laws should be scrapped as they are being used by the PJ to gag arguidos from defending themselves.
I think this is the truth of why the PJ leaked the rumours. No noble cause here.IMO.

Are you speaking about those arguidos who basically told the PJ to "find a body and prove we killed her" then refused to answer the questions asked of them in that final interview and then took off from Portugal like their butts were on fire?

1998_rolling_eyes_back.gif

Are you speaking about those arguidos who basically told the PJ to "find a body and prove we killed her" then refused to answer the questions asked of them in that final interview and then took off from Portugal like their butts were on fire?

Absolutely right, the very same.....Gerry was understandably upset and very frustrated at the accusatory questions being put to him by the press:waitasec: especially when the focus should have been Madeleine.....But it's so easy to take something out of context isn't it.

This expains why he was frustrated very well.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/columnists/article2445831.ece

And at the time of the "questions" it had become very clear what the PJ were trying to do.....And I don't mean looking for Madeleine. I'm not surprised "if" they refused to answer under those conditions. I believe we only have the PJ's version of this. :rolleyes:

I hardly think they ran away either. They stayed for months after Madeleine went missing. If they had killed her don't you think they would have left Portugal as soon as possible.....As though their butts were on fire..as you put it.

If the PJ have "evidence" now I wonder why they don't present another dossier to a Judge :waitasec:

I also believe the McCanns would be very happy to answer any questions if they felt they were being treated fairly....But I don't think the likes of Goncalo Amaral would fill anyone with confidence.:waitasec:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_15463.shtml

Mari Luz, the five year old missing from Huelva, has been found dead

She disappeared almost two months ago and her body was found on Friday
Five year old Mari Luz, missing from Huelva since she left her home in the El Torrejón area of the city on 13th January for a short trip to the local sweets kiosk, has been found dead.

El Mundo said her body was found on Friday evening in Huelva province in the Torrearenilla marshland, in a river close to the Cepsa refinery installations, by an employee of the petroleum company. It’s understood that Mari Luz’s body was found with the clothes she was wearing when she disappeared , and that her body was badly decomposed.

There was news just last week that the family of the five year old had received a ransom demand for two million euros, via an anonymous caller who demanded the money to release the child.
While it was thought to be a hoax, the family said they were prepared to negotiate in the case of serious calls. Mari Luz’s uncle, Diego Cortés, said at the time that the family would personally go to rescue his niece if necessary, but said they would only be able to raise around 300,000 €.

<continues>

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_15463.shtml

Mari Luz, the five year old missing from Huelva, has been found dead

She disappeared almost two months ago and her body was found on Friday
Five year old Mari Luz, missing from Huelva since she left her home in the El Torrejón area of the city on 13th January for a short trip to the local sweets kiosk, has been found dead.

El Mundo said her body was found on Friday evening in Huelva province in the Torrearenilla marshland, in a river close to the Cepsa refinery installations, by an employee of the petroleum company. It&#8217;s understood that Mari Luz&#8217;s body was found with the clothes she was wearing when she disappeared , and that her body was badly decomposed.

There was news just last week that the family of the five year old had received a ransom demand for two million euros, via an anonymous caller who demanded the money to release the child.
While it was thought to be a hoax, the family said they were prepared to negotiate in the case of serious calls. Mari Luz&#8217;s uncle, Diego Cortés, said at the time that the family would personally go to rescue his niece if necessary, but said they would only be able to raise around 300,000 &#8364;.

<continues>

What sad news.Poor little soul.May she rest in peace.

So incredibly sad that this little girls body has been found! However, in some ways the family will have closure!

So very peculiar that Madeleines body has never been found!

So incredibly sad that this little girls body has been found! However, in some ways the family will have closure!

Perhaps because she isnt dead?

So the poor girl was found - very sad - I have no iidea who is responsible - but there seems little news on why / whom in the news

not even a forum - searching for the truth - not just here - even over in the others -

yes it is very peculiar that Maddy's body was never found ...

Please forgive my laziness friends....I have posted primarily on the General Discussion thread when the Mari Luz Cortes article would have been better posted on another thread, and the dam searches also.

I promise to be more diligent. I am just weary.....

And I am very, very sad.

Colomom - I don't care which thread you put things in, I'll read it where ever it is!

Salem

PS - I'm sad also and to read Mari Luz's death could be for some "retaliation" against her family makes me even sadder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat