Deceased/Not Found MD - Linda, 21, & Lori Peugeot, 2, LaVale, 22 Sept 1969

Case Recap...

------------------------------------
Linda Mae Peugeot
Missing since September 22, 1969 from LaVale, Allegany County, Maryland
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0"; 96 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Clothing: Light blue sweater; bellbotton slacks with shoulder straps and a black and white checked blouse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lori Mae Peugeot
Missing since September 22, 1969 from LaVale, Allegany County, Maryland
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: September 23, 1966
Age at Time of Disappearance: 2 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 30"; 21 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.

--------------------------------
Circumstances of Disappearance

Linda and Lori Peugeot were last seen on September 22, 1969 in LaVale, MD.

The two were allegedly kidnapped and murdered by Stanley B. Hoss Jr., a convicted cop-killer who grabbed the mother and daughter in the parking lot of the former King’s Department Store in LaVale on September 22, 1969.

Linda Peugeot was a waitress at Warner’s. The bodies were never recovered.

-------------------

Further information:

Stanley Hoss committed two brutal rapes with a man named Richard Surdyk, and for those crimes, Hoss was incarcerated.

Hoss escaped with a man named Thomas Lubresky. They got a ride from a man Lubresky later identified as George Kane to the house of an invalid woman named Amanda Riddle. She gave them clothes and money.

After his subsequent capture, Hoss confessed to police that after he abducted Linda and Lori, he shot Linda Peugeot almost immediately in the side and in the head. He stated that she bled out in the trunk of the car.

According to police, there were, in fact, huge amounts of blood in the trunk.

Hoss stated that he drove baby Lori around the country with him for 6 days, the last sighting of her with Hoss was in Fairberry, Illinois.

Stanley Hoss' brother Harold Hoss was living in Chicago when this kidnapping occurred. Harold Hoss is also a convicted felon.

Stanley Hoss made 3 trips to Chicago during his run from justice.

-----------------------------------

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Allegany County Sheriffs Office
301-777-5959

Or

Maryland State Police
Cumberland Barrack "C"
301-729-2101

Source Information:

Maryland Missing
Cumberland Times-News
The Doe Network: Case File 2134DFMD
The Doe Network: Case File 2135DFMD

Links:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2134dfmd.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2135dfmd.html

Because his name was posted on here, and his number is listed.

I don't think there is any rule about contacting people, I think you just have to use good judgement. I also think you should only call about the possible leads you personally are responsible for finding. This really would be helpful for everyone in the future to keep in mind. What is a really bad thing, is I suspect there are people that are not even members here, reporting on tips that are being made on this whole forum, possibly even media are reading and phoning. There is no way to stop any of this, except for to not post anything on here in the first place.
I just read and article in the Cumberland Times dated January 04, 1994 and his name was stated in the paper along with Linda's mothers name.

I've been unable to find any information about Hoss' confession that says "I'm not going to tell you where their bodies are". Did he say something about that at all? Did he refuse to speak about that?
I find it very weird and cruel, confessing a crimen when it's obvious that your are going to spend the rest of your life in jail, and not revealing the whereabouts of Linda's and Lori's remains.
Was Hoss familiar with the area? Did the investigators question his brother or cellmates? Maybe he said something else...
To Linda's and Lori's family... I wish you much strength and peace.

I've tried to use the route he may have follow (of course, the roads are not the same, I suppose) to research NamUs.

Possible matches to Linda:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Possible matches to Lori:

I don't think they are this decedents, however... I think Hoss hid them, that's why I think we should know more about him. Was he familiar with mines, quarries or cliffs on the area?

Okay, so I am not really a sleuther but this evening my husband and I were discussing unsolved crimes in this area. It's a really small area where people know each other or someone knows a friend of a friend.
Anyway, this case came to my mind because I had remembered my mother telling me about this when I was a young girl, years ago. I stumbled upon this site from a google search and was reading the thread. It's been years since anyone posted on this but I just wanted to add my thoughts to all of this being someone from the area.
I have never heard the name Peugeot in the area. I was at another site that stated she was staying with family here in Bel-Air which is even smaller than LaVale. Not sure where her husband is from originally but I do not think he is from the Lavale area. I can't imagine that this man was getting all these calls, perhaps he was, just seems odd. I also question if the person came here posting about letting the police handle things or whatever is part of their family. Something seems off about everything that poster typed. Perhaps I'm wrong and it's just my nature of questioning everything. Just reading about some of this makes me want to go to the local police station and look at the old police report on it all. It strikes me as strange that a family member would not welcome the help from wherever they could get it regarding finding lost loved ones.
Another thing I find strange is the statement by the killer that stated he shot Linda when she refused to drive further along 219. That road has a lot of wooded areas why would he put her body into the trunk with it being so rural? Doesn't make sense to me. We also have a ton of hunters here, surely if he dumped her body anywhere around that area someone would have come across it in all these years.

I doubt this post is helpful as I am not very familiar with the particulars of the case. I wanted to post and give you all an idea of the area. If there's anything I can do here as a local feel free to ask, I will try to do what I can to help. This case is not even listed as a cold case for the county. All of it is a bit strange in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have never heard the name Peugeot in the area.

I believe they may have been staying with her family in the area, not his. This is not made abundantly clear anywhere.

Not sure where her husband is from originally but I do not think he is from the Lavale area.

Whitepages search indicated that Gerald Peugeot has lived in various towns north of Pittsburgh in northwestern PA and eastern OH. Possible that's where he's from originally.

I believe they may have been staying with her family in the area, not his. This is not made abundantly clear anywhere.

Whitepages search indicated that Gerald Peugeot has lived in various towns north of Pittsburgh in northwestern PA and eastern OH. Possible that's where he's from originally.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Now I am wondering if that DNA test ever came back.

I think this calvarium may be Linda Peugeot. All demographics match and we can place her abductor in the area. He did say he shot her. She was not seen when the abductor was in Ohio with the infant daughter.
He was a gravedigger, btw.
I have tried to get familial DNA and forensic genealogy done on the skull for years, to no avail. Linda does have a first cousin in GEDmatch. I turned it in again to NamUs last week, there is a new regional person in charge since the last time.

PA - PA - McKean Co, WhtFem 15-30, UP6584, skull on private prop, Sep'91

Missing for over 52 years...

th
th

Linda (21) and Lori (2) Peugeot
Missing since 22 September 1969

LINK:

https://truecrimediva.com/7-daughters-who-disappeared-with-their-mothers/

what a terrible end for a good mother so young and her baby... the worst of all is that we will never know what really happened to her...
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back