MI MI - Alexandra Brueger, 31, Fatally Shot While Jogging, Rose Twp, 30 Jul 2016 #5

Posted at 11:39 AM, Jul 30, 2021

and last updated 12:22 AM, Jul 31, 2021

The Bruegers fear potential witnesses may have discounted details they noticed the day of the murder by assuming the killer was someone close to Ally.

“The shooter was a stranger. Ally did not know who pulled the trigger,” said Nikki. “It really changes the scenario from what they said in 2016 -- to calm the public, in my estimation. It maligned her character because when that happened, people would say, ‘oh what kind of girl was this-- who did she hang around with?’ They didn’t know she was an RN. They didn’t know she never drank, didn’t do drugs,” said Nikki.

I don't find a news article today, July 30, 2022.

Alexandra Nicolette Brueger

1984 - 2016

ALEXANDRA BRUEGER OBITUARY

Brueger, Alexandra Nicolette
November 9, 1984 - July 30, 2016
Ally was our beloved, only child. She was kind, thoughtful, considerate. She had a witty sense of humor, but she was also a very serious-minded individual. She was an RN at Providence Park Hospital in Novi, Michigan. She was working on her master degree in creative writing which she would have achieved in April 2017 because writing was her passion, nursing was her profession. She graduated with high honors in all of her higher education degrees. Our sweet daughter was taken away from us in the most violent way. She was shot four times in the back while she was taking her daily 10 mile run on a dirt road in Rose Township. Her wish would have been to have all of her organs donated, but because of the senseless way she perished that was not possible. She was very humble, and would have been quite embarrassed by all of the attention this has caused. She was small in stature, standing 4’9”, weighing only 98 pounds but mighty in presence. We know that her life mattered to the people that she touched. Ally was the daughter of Franz and Nicolette Brueger of Holly. A Funeral Mass will be celebrated at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday August 10, 2016 at St. Rita Catholic Church of Holly, with Father David Blazek, Celebrant. Visitation will be from 2 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at the Dryer Funeral Home, Holly. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Great Lakes Boxer Rescue.

OK, we've got nothing this year. So I'm reaching back to a video aired on Profiling Evil and Court TV. No earth shattering info here and I would imagine some of us on here could have added to it. But it keeps her case alive. And some of the commentary is interesting.

I keep coming back to someone shooting a shotgun at Alexandra. Four rounds fired. Since bird - dove, duck, geese - hunting requires that a shotgun be restricted to 3 rounds putting a plug in such guns requires disassembly of the tube magazine almost all hunters put the plug in and leave it. Deer and bear hunting is a different story in most states and the 3 shot limit does not apply. This gun was either a deer/bear gun or a self defense weapon. Such guns have shorter barrels of 20-24 inches and they are easier to get out of vehicle than 26-30 inch gun. BB or #2 shot can be deadly if the range is close enough. (Check out the biography of the pro cyclist, Greg Lemond. He was shot by accident in a turkey hunt and that almost killed him and almost ruined his career after winning the 1986 Tour de France and that was either #2 or #4 shot.) The host of profiling evil mentions that the type of shot used would tell us something. I agree. Where I grew up, many of the rural residents kept a shotgun in their pickup all year round. I even knew of instances where a high school junior or senior had theirs behind the seat of their pickup when parking at school. The law was such that if you had a loaded shotgun in your vehicle outside deer/bear season and it was loaded with rifled slugs or buckshot you were violating game laws. But in spite of that I never heard of anyone being arrested for it and this includes those farmers who had the gun in a rack in the back glass where it could be seen. As long as the gun stayed inside there were no issues. I wonder how such guns are viewed by LE in that area.

I've often wondered if this killer traveled with the gun in his vehicle all the time. Nearby - 18000 block of the road - was a right of way for a power line. Do the residents ever recall someone out there shooting a shotgun? Or in the nearby woods? When one person was detained early on he stated that LE asked him about his footwear so it sounds likely the killer stopped their vehicle and got out to fire the gun. This means it is likely the spent shells ended up on the ground because if they fired out the driver's window the shells would likely have stayed inside the vehicle. The firing pin and extractor marks can be traced back to the gun if LE ever makes an arrest.

I don't believe it is likely this killer lives on the road, but I do believe he was familiar with it. Due to her size - 4'9" and 98 pounds - I also wonder if the killer mistook her for 13-15 yo girl and abduction was the initial motive. Then again, it was stated that this was a frequent part of her route so if this killer traveled on that road in the past he likely had seen her before so would he have known she was an adult?

OK, we've got nothing this year. So I'm reaching back to a video aired on Profiling Evil and Court TV. No earth shattering info here and I would imagine some of us on here could have added to it. But it keeps her case alive. And some of the commentary is interesting.

I keep coming back to someone shooting a shotgun at Alexandra. Four rounds fired. Since bird - dove, duck, geese - hunting requires that a shotgun be restricted to 3 rounds putting a plug in such guns requires disassembly of the tube magazine almost all hunters put the plug in and leave it. Deer and bear hunting is a different story in most states and the 3 shot limit does not apply. This gun was either a deer/bear gun or a self defense weapon. Such guns have shorter barrels of 20-24 inches and they are easier to get out of vehicle than 26-30 inch gun. BB or #2 shot can be deadly if the range is close enough. (Check out the biography of the pro cyclist, Greg Lemond. He was shot by accident in a turkey hunt and that almost killed him and almost ruined his career after winning the 1986 Tour de France and that was either #2 or #4 shot.) The host of profiling evil mentions that the type of shot used would tell us something. I agree. Where I grew up, many of the rural residents kept a shotgun in their pickup all year round. I even knew of instances where a high school junior or senior had theirs behind the seat of their pickup when parking at school. The law was such that if you had a loaded shotgun in your vehicle outside deer/bear season and it was loaded with rifled slugs or buckshot you were violating game laws. But in spite of that I never heard of anyone being arrested for it and this includes those farmers who had the gun in a rack in the back glass where it could be seen. As long as the gun stayed inside there were no issues. I wonder how such guns are viewed by LE in that area.

I've often wondered if this killer traveled with the gun in his vehicle all the time. Nearby - 18000 block of the road - was a right of way for a power line. Do the residents ever recall someone out there shooting a shotgun? Or in the nearby woods? When one person was detained early on he stated that LE asked him about his footwear so it sounds likely the killer stopped their vehicle and got out to fire the gun. This means it is likely the spent shells ended up on the ground because if they fired out the driver's window the shells would likely have stayed inside the vehicle. The firing pin and extractor marks can be traced back to the gun if LE ever makes an arrest.

I don't believe it is likely this killer lives on the road, but I do believe he was familiar with it. Due to her size - 4'9" and 98 pounds - I also wonder if the killer mistook her for 13-15 yo girl and abduction was the initial motive. Then again, it was stated that this was a frequent part of her route so if this killer traveled on that road in the past he likely had seen her before so would he have known she was an adult?
Thank you for keeping Ally Brueger's name out there and re-posting this information. One never knows who it might reach.

I hate that this case has never been solved, and it doesn't seem like it ever will. But there's always hope, I did not think Katelyn Markham's case would be solved, but there was an arrest.
I do, too. Thanks to you and MM for bumping this up as I had not checked for updates since last August. I've gotten the impression that LE has VERY little in the way of physical evidence. The spent shotgun shells. One POI brought in early on stated that LE asked about owning sandals or type of footware, so shoeprints? And back to that weapon - a shotgun? Per the latest stats I downloaded to an Excel spreadsheet from from DOJ/FBI crime stats, there were 10,258 murders in the USA with firearms in 2019 and only 200 (1.9%) were committed with a shotgun. Not a common murder weapon. A vague description of a vehicle - white sedan. It almost seems her killer will have to end up getting high or drunk and telling someone what they did.

That shotgun. People keep firearms on them or in a vehicle but it is almost always a handgun. I still wonder - did this coward use the woods or the area around the powerline right-of-way to go out and shoot his gun in the past? If so, someone is likely to have seen them. Did anyone prior to the murders talk about using the surrounding areas to practice or pattern their shotgun? I also wonder if new forensics technology can extract DNA from the spent shell casings.

It sounds like you have a suspect in mind, @Nina Michigan . Do you think that the 2005 double homicide of Pamela Barnes and Kenneth Kanehl could be related? That was a gun crime that occurred in Waterford, which is a stone's throw from Milford (relatively speaking).

The father of Pamela Barnes's daughter Alyssa was the prime suspect in that case and is now deceased, so he would fit your description of a deceased perpetrator who had committed other gun crimes.

Do you have an idea about the motive in Alexandra Brueger's killing?

According to some sources, the suspect in the Kanehl-Barnes double homicide is also the prime suspect in the attempted murder of Pastor William Peppard in 1996. Oakland County has plenty of unsolved crimes. Who's to say how many can be laid at this suspect's feet?

The property that was searched as part of the investigation into the Barnes-Kanehl murders, 755 W. Buno Road in Milford, is associated with the surname Wate, as is the property at 9070 Water Road in Rose Township.

The Peppard attempted homicide and the Barnes-Kanehl double homicide were both very personal crimes, and I'm not finding any personal connection between the suspect I have in mind and Ally. My theory is that if Ally jogged past the person's residence on Water Road, some kind of verbal altercation may have occurred. Perhaps the suspect whistled or cat-called at Ally and she told him off. I would like to know more about Ally's personality and how she would have responded to an unwanted sexual advance.

The suspect apparently died in 2018 and would have only been 53 years old, which is relatively young. I am trying to find a cause of death for the suspect but haven't been able to find anything yet. (I can't even find an obituary; I guess it's safe to say that he wasn't mourned excessively.)

Last edited:
Can anyone here—maybe @BetteDavisEyes or @Nina Michigan —tell me whether 9070 Water Road would have been on Ally's jogging route?

Hi there, I went back to the first thread to try to see if I could find any maps, I didn't get that far but I did see the posts from Ally's ex, WS. He was posting as a VI, combatmedic2121, in case any one is interested. I found a few around page 20 of Thread 1 but they may have started earlier than that.

Hi there, I went back to the first thread to try to see if I could find any maps, I didn't get that far but I did see the posts from Ally's ex, WS. He was posting as a VI, combatmedic2121, in case any one is interested. I found a few around page 20 of Thread 1 but they may have started earlier than that.
Thanks. WS's attitude made him a suspect in the eyes of many here (including me), but I no longer consider him the prime suspect.

It looks like 9070 Water Road is 2.9 miles from 11240 block of Fish Lake Road, which was about where Ally was murdered, and about 4.6 miles from Ally's home. It isn't impossible, but it doesn't look like Ally would have been likely to jog past that address. However, I'm still not ruling out some kind of verbal altercation or rebuff of a sexual advance as a motive. The suspect could have been in a vehicle when he encountered Ally.

Attachments

• RoseTwp.JPG
    RoseTwp.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 2
It sounds like you have a suspect in mind, @Nina Michigan . Do you think that the 2005 double homicide of Pamela Barnes and Kenneth Kanehl could be related? That was a gun crime that occurred in Waterford, which is a stone's throw from Milford (relatively speaking).

The father of Pamela Barnes's daughter Alyssa was the prime suspect in that case and is now deceased, so he would fit your description of a deceased perpetrator who had committed other gun crimes.

Do you have an idea about the motive in Alexandra Brueger's killing?
JMO - MOO
I think the motive was "because I can" he's gotten away with plenty in the past.

and yes, I like him for the murder. It's my understanding that he lived in the area where she was shot.

JMO - MOO

edited to add (again, JMO, MOO) - if the perp was still out there they would be making a MAJOR push in the case each year. They've done little. It reads a lot like the Nevaeh Buchanan case. They know who killed Neveah and he's in prison for other crimes, thus, no big push for an arrest, tips or leads. They're simply going through the motions.
also, lest I sound callous, my heart aches for the parents (and grandparents) in both these cases.
Again, JMO/MOO

I performed a Google search from 01 Dec 2022 to present to see if there were any updates. Nothing of note. I thought there would have been a couple of articles around 30 Jul, but no. Something needs to shock this case back into the spotlight otherwise this killer is sitting back believing they're going to get away with it.

This article has been out there a couple of months now but I haven't seen anyone post it. It sounds like some Grad students from a Detroit University are taking a look at the case, and helping organize the information better. Let's hope that a second set of eyes turns fruitful!

This article has been out there a couple of months now but I haven't seen anyone post it. It sounds like some Grad students from a Detroit University are taking a look at the case, and helping organize the information better. Let's hope that a second set of eyes turns fruitful!

This is great news - thank you for sharing!

The phrase, "shot at her multiple times in the back, one round being fatal" really strikes me. LE collected 5 spent casings at the scene. And ONE round was fatal? Assuming this is buckshot and they missed with 4 rounds? Even with rifled slugs it wasn't like they were shooting at a white tail deer. This sounds like some cowardly clown who wasn't even experienced at hunting. Although, I wonder if she saw the gun and ran off the road, dodging and weaving between trees. Still I wonder if this was someone out with a parent's, uncle's or grandparent's gun. Or it was a recent purchase with no idea how to shoot it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000
Back