MI MI - Cynthia Coon, 13, Ann Arbor, 19 Jan 1970

• Cynthia Coon, age 13, missing from Ann Arbor, MI 19 January 1970
  • coon_cynthia2.jpg

Does anyone know if Cynthia was ever compared to Rancho Cucamonga Jane doe?
633UFCA

I don’t recall but the postmortem photos have a resemblance to the shape of her mouth
They do share a resemblance and based on the photos available of Cynthia it appears that she might have a slight overbite like the UID

I'm thinking it's not her, they both have DNA in the system, but just about everything matches.

I'm thinking it's not her, they both have DNA in the system, but just about everything matches.
The post-mortem interval doesn't fit. Cynthia could have been kept alive for a while, but nine years? Naah. If Cynthia is ever matched to a Jane Doe, it'll be a Jane Doe who died in 1970.

The post-mortem interval doesn't fit. Cynthia could have been kept alive for a while, but nine years? Naah. If Cynthia is ever matched to a Jane Doe, it'll be a Jane Doe who died in 1970.

It can't be her, their DNA didn't hit, but I don't assume a set of remains can't be a missing person just because of the time elapsed between the date someone is reported missing and remains being found. Some dates area sketchy or vague, especially after reading that Gloria Rieken's body was found days before she was reported missing, most likely to throw off suspicion, and sadly, it worked, too.
I understand folks are assuming that a serial killer abducted Cynthia, but until she is found, we don't know the circumstances surrounding her disappearance, so I prefer to have an open mind.

Here is another teen aged disappearance that has been resolved. Please note her age, and the time between her disappearance and discovery:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...CSb6LA-Q&noredirect=on&utm_term=.720e6c600c78
Like the article says, those cases are "extraordinarily rare." I'll add that the vast majority are run-away or non-custodial-parental-abduction cases. Doctors have a saying when diagnosing an illness: horses before zebras, zebras before unicorns. Cynthia's having lived past 1970 would be a unicorn.

Like the article says, those cases are "extraordinarily rare." I'll add that the vast majority are run-away or non-custodial-parental-abduction cases. Doctors have a saying when diagnosing an illness: horses before zebras, zebras before unicorns. Cynthia's having lived past 1970 would be a unicorn.

Resolutions like the one in the article are rare, but not impossible, improbable, unlikely or unheard of. It's also why I choose to keep an open mind about what may have happened to them is all I'm saying.

MACOMB TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WXYZ) — Law enforcement agencies digging in Macomb County as part of a joint investigation on unsolved homicides in Macomb County found articles that resemble clothing, sources tell 7 Action News.

The dig has been happening every day since Monday morning on the north side of the Clinton River just south of 23 Mile Rd. Sources tell 7 Action News the dig will resume on Monday.

Police find articles resembling clothing during Macomb Twp. dig in decades-long cold case

MACOMB TWP. (WWJ) - While no bodies have been found, some clues may have been uncovered in a search for multiple missing girls suspected to be victims of a serial killer.

According to sources speaking to WWJ Newsradio 950 on Friday, investigators digging in northern Macomb County have apparently found some items of interest.

Family members of at least one of the girls have been asked to review several unspecified items, which reports say may include clothing.

'A Lot Has Happened' In Dig For Remains Of Missing Girls In Macomb Township

Cynthia Coon
CCoon.jpg
CCoon1.jpg
CCoon2.jpg

The image on the right is age-progressed to 59 years.

Name: Cynthia Coon
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: April 2, 1970
Location Last Seen: Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, Michigan

Physical Description
Date of Birth: March 24, 1956
Race: White
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 110 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Cindy
Distinguishing Marks/Features: She has no fillings in her teeth.

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Tan-colored coat, black boots, a multi-colored scarf and hat.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Colored book bag.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Cynthia Coon left her residence on foot en route to Forsythe Junior High School at 1655 Newport Road in Ann Arbor. She did not attend school at all that day and did not return home that evening. Several weeks later, there were unverified reports that she was seen walking around in Ann Arbor.

Eventually, she made contact with her family twice within a two-hour period in April of 1970. She did not know her whereabouts at the time of the calls, but the calls apparently came from Detroit. An extortion-type call was received by the family on May 5, 1970. Since that time, no further contact has been made with the family.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Washtenaw County Sheriff Department
Agency Contact Person: Mike Trister
Agency Phone Number: (734) 994-2911
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 70-0627
NCIC Case Number: M-360881150
NCMEC Case Number: 1151085
NamUs Case Number: 2501

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Old News: Ann Arbor News (1970)
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
858DFMI - Cynthia Coon

Cynthia Coon Went Missing In Ann Arbor Michigan in April 1970
NAT_2501_1.jpg

Missing
Last seen alive: April 02, 1970

Circumstances:

Cynthia Coon left her residence en route to school in Ann Arbor. She did not attend school at all that day and did not return home that evening. She made contact with her family twice, once on April 1, 1970 and again on April 2, 1970. She did not know her whereabouts at the time of the calls. An extortion-type call was received by the family on May 5, 1970. Since that time, no further contact has been made with the family.

First Name: Cynthia
Last Name: Coon
Details
Age When Last Known Alive: 13
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 64.0
Weight: 110.0
State: Michigan
County: Alcona
Appearance
Hair: Brown