MI MI - D'wan Sims, 4, Livonia, 11 Dec 1994

This one's local. I see what I can find.
Todd really is a top cop. I have faith in eventual justice if he does.

This one's local. I see what I can find.
Todd really is a top cop. I have faith in eventual justice if he does.

There are several other threads about D'wan, in case you haven't seen them. This is one of the cases that haunt me.

I'll go look them up.
I did know about this case, but not a whole lot about it, except that the general concensus is that whatever happened, happened before the missing report was ever made.

Being a longtime resident of the Detroit Metropolitan area, I remember this case well. Around here, it's generally accepted that the mother either killed the boy or knows who did. I remember how the cops couldn't locate one witness at the Wonderland Mall who remembered seeing him there. Plus the mother spent an hour, she claims, looking for him. I mean, if my kid vanished at the mall, I'm going to straight to security as soon as I realize he's gone. The longer you spend on your own, the easier you make it for an abductor to be driving off with him because the guy isn't going to hang around. You have to alert security immediately. Even 15 minutes is too long and she spend an hour??

D'wan turns up on not security video footage. That by itself may not mean anything but coupled with nobody really recalling having seen him adds up to "He wasn't there." I've been to the Wonderland Mall a few times, it's not a huge place. Certainly somebody would have seen him.

Then, of course, the mother failed every polygraph she's taken.

When I first heard about this case, I was thinking the mom did something. I may just be a bit jaded after all the recent cases of parents...But then I read the police report. The grandmother was with the mom that day at the mall. To me that is odd and may give a bit more credence to mom's story. Or maybe not, still in preliminary stages or reading up about little D'wan. Here take a look at the report:

http://wheresdwan.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/LivoniaReport.pdf

Eta: Mom's reaction to viewing the tape is curious. But, police reports are written by people and no matter how objective they try to be, there could be some personal opinion thrown in there. I really wish I could view the tape myself, alongside a photo of the mom from that day to decide for myself. I wonder if the police even thought to photograph her on the day the little guy disappeared. Anyone know?

If Mom was supposedly at the mall, wouldn't she have alerted mall security prior to the actual police? I mean, if it were me, my first instinct would be that maybe my child just got lost in the crowd and wandered off. But, regardless, you'd want to take action quickly, and in a mall that would be your first step. Did they have any record of this woman talking to anyone there that day?

Also, there is no mention of D'wan's dad. I wonder what the situation was. Did D'wan have a relationship with him? If so, what was it like? Also, if so, how did Dad get along with Mom? Perhaps Dad thought Mom wasn't doing a good enough job and decided to take him?

Honestly, though, from the info given I have to say I doubt that happened. But, I guess I always want to hope for the best, even if there's just a glimmer of that in any possible way.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/12/13/19-year-old-missing-child-case-remains-a-mystery/

The center did release an age progression photo of the child, in hope that someone might recognize him.

“We face the same realities that everyone does in these cases,” said Lowery. “The longer these children have been gone, you know, the likelihood of finding them is sometimes not very high.”

Police maintain that D’Wan was never at the mall that day with his mother, who police said failed two polygraph tests. She maintains her innocence.

Attachments

• dwan.jpg
    dwan.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 39
When I first heard about this case, I was thinking the mom did something. I may just be a bit jaded after all the recent cases of parents...But then I read the police report. The grandmother was with the mom that day at the mall. To me that is odd and may give a bit more credence to mom's story. Or maybe not, still in preliminary stages or reading up about little D'wan. Here take a look at the report:

http://wheresdwan.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/LivoniaReport.pdf

Eta: Mom's reaction to viewing the tape is curious. But, police reports are written by people and no matter how objective they try to be, there could be some personal opinion thrown in there. I really wish I could view the tape myself, alongside a photo of the mom from that day to decide for myself. I wonder if the police even thought to photograph her on the day the little guy disappeared. Anyone know?

The grandmother was actually working at the mall; she did not accompany them to Target and such, they met up with her at the store she was working at while they were searching.

Being a longtime resident of the Detroit Metropolitan area, I remember this case well. Around here, it's generally accepted that the mother either killed the boy or knows who did. I remember how the cops couldn't locate one witness at the Wonderland Mall who remembered seeing him there. Plus the mother spent an hour, she claims, looking for him. I mean, if my kid vanished at the mall, I'm going to straight to security as soon as I realize he's gone. The longer you spend on your own, the easier you make it for an abductor to be driving off with him because the guy isn't going to hang around. You have to alert security immediately. Even 15 minutes is too long and she spend an hour??

D'wan turns up on not security video footage. That by itself may not mean anything but coupled with nobody really recalling having seen him adds up to "He wasn't there." I've been to the Wonderland Mall a few times, it's not a huge place. Certainly somebody would have seen him.

Then, of course, the mother failed every polygraph she's taken.
I also remember this case, and I agree with those who believe the mother was responsible.

I don't agree that looking for an hour before alerting security is unusual. When I was younger, there were times when kids in the family that I was watching wandered off, and I don't think I ever alerted security or the police. I just looked for them until they turned up (and they always did eventually, usually in less than an hour but not always).

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/12/13/19-year-old-missing-child-case-remains-a-mystery/

The center did release an age progression photo of the child, in hope that someone might recognize him.

“We face the same realities that everyone does in these cases,” said Lowery. “The longer these children have been gone, you know, the likelihood of finding them is sometimes not very high.”

Police maintain that D’Wan was never at the mall that day with his mother, who police said failed two polygraph tests. She maintains her innocence.

I'm sorry to say that 99 times out of 100, these age progressions are a wasted effort because the person died at the time of his or her disappearance. Has anyone EVER been found because of an age progression picture?

I'm sorry to say that 99 times out of 100, these age progressions are a wasted effort because the person died at the time of his or her disappearance. Has anyone EVER been found because of an age progression picture?

Frank Bender had a few success stories on age progressed fugitives, I can't remember what other cases with out pulling his book out.

There is a few kids in this article from back in 2009 that where found due to age progressions.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Ah...found-age-progression-images/story?id=8830185

And another reason I think they are used- The police in the UK have said many times they got reports of sightings of Maddie MaCann, of a kid the same age and look of when she went missing. I bet the age progressions cut that down.

I'm sure you'll find plenty more stories like that. I personally think they are a great tool too get that persons face and story out there, even if it jogs someones memory from the day went missing, if for nothing else.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

I randomly learned about this case yesterday and spent a few hours researching it. I can't believe the mother wasn't charged with *****. I mean, I know that homicide can be hard without a body. But she could've at least went to prison for lying. It was just her word against the cameras and that was it? That was the end all, be all? She says "my kid was there," the cameras show her but no sign of him.....and that's just it? Crazy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley
Back