Still Missing MI - Heather Kelley, 35, mom of 8, phoned kids said would be home soon, car found, Kalamazoo, 11 Dec 2022 *Reward* *arrest*

Court documents say Carlos Vance Watts Jr.was staying at Kalamazoo Probation Enhancement Program (KPEP) on drug charges until he escaped Dec. 12, 2022, two days after 35-year-old Heather Kelley went missing.

Watts changed his plea to "guilty," according to court staff.

1688425365020.jpeg

JUL 3, 2023
  • Watts and his brother spoke around the time of the disappearance, then met later that day.
  • When police found Heather's car three hours later, they found her blood on the front and back seats and pictures of her children.
  • The feds say the driver’s seat was partially burnt with trace evidence of gasoline.
  • They also found a small hole punched in the driver’s side window.
  • Police later found clothing in a field about a half mile away, including women’s underwear, women’s jeans, boots and a durag.
  • Tests later determined that the jeans and durag had DNA from Kelley and Watts.
  • Police later stopped Watts’ brother and found pieces of car window glass, a screwdriver with glass embedded in the handle and two cigarette lighters.
  • Records don’t show whether the brother was arrested.
JUN 28, 2023
Carlos Watts Jr. cut his GPS tether at the Kalamazoo Probation Enhancement Program, KPEP, and ran away Dec. 12, which was just hours after being questioned by police about Kelley's disappearance, Kalamazoo County prosecutors said.

0bae5b0f-30bb-400f-846e-40d2495b3f99-medium16x9_surveillancecamera.jpg

Carlos Watts Jr. is seen on camera, taking a pair of scissors behind the desk at the Kalamazoo Probation Enhancement Program. June 23, 2023 (Kalamazoo Probation Enhancement Program/US District Court, Western District of Michigan, Southern Division/WWMT)

In the trial brief for his federal indictment for felony escape, prosecutors said that they believe he ran away because he "thought" he was a suspect in Kelley's murder.

Watts Jr. told police he ran, because he was scared that Kelley's brother was going to kill him, sending death threats, including a picture of an AR-15 assault rifle, according federal court documents.

If Watts Jr. makes that claim during felony trial, Kalamazoo County prosecutors will then present DNA evidence, GPS information and Watts Jr.'s own statement to police as evidence that he "is somehow involved" in Kelley's disappearance or murder.

News Channel 3 is not describing that evidence or those statements right now, as Watts Jr. has not been charged with Kelley's murder.

JUL 18

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — The boyfriend of missing Heather Kelley has requested to withdraw his July 3 guilty plea.

In a letter to Judge Robert J. Jonker, Carlos Watts Jr. explained that he "was not in my right state of mind (demeanor) on that day."

"An upon further reflection an newly gleaned information, I believe it is in my best interest to go to trial, whether it be jury or bench," Watts wrote.

More at https://wwmt.com/news/local/carlos-...tigation-court-kalamazoo-county-west-michigan

In addition to his request to withdraw his plea, Watts Jr. asked for a hearing to withdraw his lawyer, stating his attorney has been "ineffective for the following reasons to present all the 'evidence and witnesses' in my case."

"He and I also have had conflict of interests regarding my defense," Watts Jr. wrote. "Namely, convincing me to plead guilty against my better judgement. I hope that the court will take my request with the up most seriousness as these matters weigh heavily on my mind and in my heart."

Heather's senseless murder weighs heavily on my mind and in my heart.

Watts sent a letter to U.S. District Judge Robert J. Jonker requesting to withdraw the guilty plea he entered on July 3.

Carlos Watts Change of Plea Request by WXMI on Scribd

In another letter, Watts requested to replace his court-appointed attorney.

Kelley, a 35-year-old mother of eight children, was last seen leaving her home around 9 p.m. on December 10, 2022.
The Kalamazoo County Sheriff’s Office says she talked with her kids around 10:20 p.m. and said she would be home soon, but she never returned
1689788834468.jpeg

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — The brother of a missing Portage mother’s ex-boyfriend was arrested Tuesday.

Jordan Watts was charged with sexual exploitation of a child, a felony punishable by up to 30 years, according to federal court documents.

During the investigation into Heather Kelley's December 2022 disappearance, detectives said they discovered a cell phone call made by Kelley's ex-boyfriend Carlos Watts Jr. from within the Newaygo County Jail to his brother Jordan Watts.

In the call, Jordan Watts admitted to having sex with the victim, a 16-year-old girl, according to federal court documents. He claimed the victim was 20 years old.

However, text messages between Jordan Watts and the victim show he was aware of her being a minor, documents reveal.

Detectives obtained the cell phone when Jordan Watts' was arrested May 10 as a person of interest in assisting his brother after Kelley's disappearance, detectives said.

After obtaining a search warrant, they found evidence of the child *advertiser censored* on the same cell phone, documents show.

Jordan Watts’ arrest comes after his brother requested to withdraw his July 3 guilty plea for his escape from Kalamazoo Probation Enhancement Program, or KPEP, Dec. 12.

Officers found Kelley's burnt car in Kalamazoo on Dec. 11, one day after she was reported missing, federal court documents showed.

Her blood, hair and other signs of violence were also found inside the car, Kalamazoo County Sheriff Richard Fuller said.

Carlos Watts Jr. has not been charged with Kelley's murder, and her body remains missing.

However, he was declared a person of interest, according to Kelley’s family.

FBI Detroit offered $20,000 in exchange for information leading to the location of Kelley, according to FBI Detroit in a post to Twitter.

Kelley's disappearance is a joint investigation between Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Office, Portage Public Safety, and the FBI, detectives said.

Jordan Watts also has not been charged in relation to Kelley's disappearance.

JUL 26, 2023
[...]

On Tuesday, Jordan Watts was charged in federal court with sexual exploitation of a child, which carries a sentence of 15 to 30 years in prison and fines of up to $255,100 if convicted. He would also have to register on the sex offender list.

Indiana state troopers arrested Watts in May. When they sent him back to Kalamazoo on an outstanding felony, they also sent the cellphone he was carrying. When Michigan State Police searched the phone, they found Watts had a video of himself having sex with a girl who investigators determined was a minor, court documents say.

They were able to track down the victim and her mother in Kalamazoo, who confirmed it was her in the video and that the man was Watts. The girl, who was 16 when the video was made, told investigators she did not know Watts had been filming.

[...]

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — The brother of a missing Portage mother’s ex-boyfriend was arrested Tuesday.

Jordan Watts was charged with sexual exploitation of a child, a felony punishable by up to 30 years, according to federal court documents.

During the investigation into Heather Kelley's December 2022 disappearance, detectives said they discovered a cell phone call made by Kelley's ex-boyfriend Carlos Watts Jr. from within the Newaygo County Jail to his brother Jordan Watts.

In the call, Jordan Watts admitted to having sex with the victim, a 16-year-old girl, according to federal court documents. He claimed the victim was 20 years old.

However, text messages between Jordan Watts and the victim show he was aware of her being a minor, documents reveal.

Detectives obtained the cell phone when Jordan Watts' was arrested May 10 as a person of interest in assisting his brother after Kelley's disappearance, detectives said.

After obtaining a search warrant, they found evidence of the child *advertiser censored* on the same cell phone, documents show.

Jordan Watts’ arrest comes after his brother requested to withdraw his July 3 guilty plea for his escape from Kalamazoo Probation Enhancement Program, or KPEP, Dec. 12.

Officers found Kelley's burnt car in Kalamazoo on Dec. 11, one day after she was reported missing, federal court documents showed.

Her blood, hair and other signs of violence were also found inside the car, Kalamazoo County Sheriff Richard Fuller said.

Carlos Watts Jr. has not been charged with Kelley's murder, and her body remains missing.

However, he was declared a person of interest, according to Kelley’s family.

FBI Detroit offered $20,000 in exchange for information leading to the location of Kelley, according to FBI Detroit in a post to Twitter.

Kelley's disappearance is a joint investigation between Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Office, Portage Public Safety, and the FBI, detectives said.

Jordan Watts also has not been charged in relation to Kelley's disappearance.
Sorry, am I missing it or is this not at all relevant to Heather's disappearance?

Sorry, am I missing it or is this not at all relevant to Heather's disappearance?

I don't see any link other than these crimes being discovered as a result of investigating Heather's disappearance. I would imagine LE are still investigating the possibility of JW and CW being involved

MOO

I don't see any link other than these crimes being discovered as a result of investigating Heather's disappearance. I would imagine LE are still investigating the possibility of JW and CW being involved

MOO
I think you are agreeing with me? The item you bolded indicates that this guy is the brother of Heather's boyfriend, which we already knew. To my point then, his allegedly having sex with a 16yo doesn't have anything to do with Heather.

Heather Kelley

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – The brother of a man suspected in the death of a missing Portage woman contends he faces his own charges in an unrelated case as leverage in the homicide investigation

A grand jury indicted Jordan Watts, 31, on three counts of sexual exploitation of a child, according to U.S. Attorney Mark Totten on Thursday.

Jordan Watts was previously charged July 26 with sexual exploitation of a child, a felony punishable by up to 30 years in prison and over $250,000 in fines, according to court documents.

That charge was related to an incident with a 16-year-old girl.

Two additional charges announced Thursday stem from alleged sexual conduct between Jordan Watts and a 17-year-old girl, records show. He allegedly filmed the acts on his iPhone.

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) — A year since a mother of eight disappeared in Kalamazoo, her loved ones say they still have no answers and no justice.

Heather Kelley, 35, of Portage, went missing on Dec. 10, 2022. Police believe Kelley was killed, but her remains have still not been found.

Kelley’s loved ones honored her Sunday, a year since she disappeared. They gathered with candles and released balloons into the sky.

Investigators later learned that at the time of Kelley’s disappearance, she was with her boyfriend, 38-year-old Carlos Watts of Kalamazoo. Watts has been named as a suspect in court records, but he has not been charged.

Watts has denied killing Kelly in emails to Target 8.

“I want Heathers (sic) 8 children to know 1000% that I had nothing to do with ther mothers (sic) disappearance,” he wrote. “You have clearly been given half and false truth information.”

The FBI is offering a $20,000 reward for any information that leads to Kelley. Silent Observer is also offering a $5,000 reward. If you know anything, please contact the Portage Department of Public Safety, the Kalamazoo County Sheriff’s Office, the FBI or Silent Observer.

More at link

Sunday marks one year since Kalamazoo County's Heather Kelley disappeared

[...]
PORTAGE, Mich. — One year after the disappearance of Portage mother Heather Kelley, authorities are still seeking justice in this case. Kelley was first reported and investigated as a missing person when the mother of eight disappeared Dec. 10, 2022. Her case has since been deemed a homicide.

Detectives found Kelley's burned-out vehicle abandoned the following day near North Sprinkle Road, according to investigators. The vehicle was set on fire and Kelley's blood and other signs of violence were found inside, according to court records.
[...]

[...]
Although no one is in custody, detectives have their eyes on a person of interest, Kelley's boyfriend Carlos Vance Watts, 35, according to Portage Public Safety. He was reportedly with Kelley before she went missing.

Watts cut his GPS tether at the Kalamazoo Probation Enhancement Program, KPEP, and ran away Dec. 12, which was just hours after being questioned by police about Kelley's disappearance, Kalamazoo County prosecutors said.
Surveillance video shows that Watts Jr. took a pair of scissors from behind a desk at KPEP, which he then used to cut off his ankle monitor. Watts is currently in federal custody on unrelated charges, police said.
[...]

[...]
Kelley's murder has received nationwide attention with the FBI offering up to $20,000 for information leading to her location. Silent Observer is also offering a $5,000 reward, police said.
[...]

"Today, we not only remember Heather but also highlight the resilience and unity of our community in the face of adversity. Let us stand together, united in seeking closure and justice for Heather and her grieving family," police said.
[...]

It’s been one year since a Michigan mother of eight children was reported missing.

The FBI said last year that they believe a 35-year-old Portage, Michigan, woman, Heather Mae Kelley, who went missing in December 2022, could be a victim of a homicide...

Heather Mae Kelley​

kelley_heather6.jpg
kelley_heather7.jpg
kelley_heather8.jpg
kelley_heather9.jpg
kelley_heather_tattoos.jpg

Kelley, circa 2022; Kelley's thigh tattoo; Carlos Vance Watts Jr. (see link)
  • Missing Since 12/10/2022
  • Missing From Kalamazoo, Michigan
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 06/18/1987 (36)
  • Age 35 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8 - 5'10, 125 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A silver heart necklace.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, brown eyes. Kelley's ears are pierced. She has the following tattoos: a lion/rose on her right forearm, a dream catcher on her left forearm, a two roses and a heart-shaped locked on her left thigh, and a tattoo on her right ankle. A photo of the thigh tattoo is posted with this case summary.

Details of Disappearance​

Kelley was last seen on December 10, 2022. She told her family she was going to visit her boyfriend in downtown Kalamazoo, Michigan. They are known to have been at The Park Club of Kalamazoo, where the boyfriend worked. At 10:20 p.m. she called her children and said she would be home soon, but she never arrived and has never been heard from again.

The next day, her truck was found abandoned on East Michigan Avenue near Sprinkle Road in Comstock Township, Michigan. It had been set on fire. Inside it were indications of violence, including a large amount of Kelley's blood and long human hair. Near the car was some clothing, linked to Kelley with DNA.

At the time of Kelley's disappearance, her boyfriend, Carlos Vance Watts Jr., was staying at a local halfway house run by the Kalamazoo Probation Enhancement Program (KPEP). He had been sent there after his release from prison on a 2010 federal drug conviction which included a murder-for-hire plot. He was questioned by the police about Kelley's case on December 12. Shortly afterwards, he cut off his ankle monitor and ran away from the halfway house. He was arrested on December 14.

A photo of Watts is posted with this case summary. He is currently in federal custody on unrelated charges. He is considered a person of interest in Kelley's disappearance. His cellular phone was turned off on the night of Kelley's disappearance, and the next day, he requested a new phone number. His roommate at the halfway house noted Watts had deep scratches on his chest and back on the night Kelley disappeared.

Kelley left behind eight children, who are now all in the care of her brother and sister-in-law. Authorities believe she was murdered. Her case remains unsolved.

Last updated December 12, 2023; casefile added.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abigailsmaurer
Back