MISTRIAL MI - Prosecutor to probe Flint water crisis, Jan 2016

Schuette: State workers’ arrogance led to Flint charges

Chad Livengood and Jennifer Chambers, The Detroit News 2:30 p.m. EDT July 29, 2016

Flint — Arrogance and viewing people in Flint as expendable were the motives of six state employees criminally charged Friday over the city’s water crisis, Attorney General Bill Schuette said.

Genesee County Judge Nathaniel C. Perry III authorized charges requested by Schuette Friday against three employees in the Department of Health and Human Services and three employees in the Department of Environmental Quality, including fired municipal water chief Liane Shekter Smith.

“Their offenses vary but there is an overall theme and repeated pattern,” Schuette said. “Each of these individuals attempted to bury, or cover up, to downplay or hide information that contradicted their own narrative their story. Their story was there was nothing wrong with Flint water and it was perfectly safe to use,” Schuette said.

“These individuals concealed the truth. They were criminally wrong to do so.” ...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...isis/2016/07/29/flint-water-charges/87699876/

Health chief, 4 others get Flint manslaughter charges

Leonard N. Fleming and Jonathan Oosting , The Detroit News Published 7:03 a.m. ET June 14, 2017 |
Updated 39 minutes ago

Flint — Michigan’s health department director and four other individuals involved with Flint’s lead-contaminated water were charged Wednesday with involuntary manslaughter, the most serious charges to date in the criminal investigation.

Nick Lyon was accused of misconduct in office and involuntary manslaughter, becoming the highest-ranking member of Gov. Rick Snyder’s administration to be targeted in the criminal probe. The manslaughter charges carries a penalty of up to 15 years in prison and a $7,500 fine, while the misconduct charge carries a prison sentence of up to five years and a $10,000 fine...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/michigan/flint-water-crisis/2017/06/14/flint-water/102838154/

What a major Charlie Foxtrot in Flint! I wonder if this happening in other cities, which does not surprise me.

Lifetime Movie 'Flint' Dramatizes City's Water Crisis

Melissa Mays, a resident of Flint, Michigan, came armed to discuss the city's tainted water crisis and a new Lifetime TV movie dramatizing it.

July 29, 2017, at 1:23 a.m.

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — Melissa Mays, a resident of Flint, Michigan, came armed to discuss the city's tainted water crisis and a new Lifetime TV movie dramatizing it.

Mays, speaking to a TV critics' meeting Friday, pointed to several bottles she had filled with her tap water and challenged the room to taste or even smell it. There were no immediate takers.

The activist, who said the battle over water safety continues, is among the residents portrayed in Lifetime's movie titled "Flint," debuting Oct. 28. Mays is played by Marin Ireland, who co-stars with Betsy Brandt, Jill Scott and Queen Latifah...

https://www.usnews.com/news/enterta...ime-movie-flint-dramatizes-citys-water-crisis

Lifetime Movie 'Flint' Dramatizes City's Water Crisis

Melissa Mays, a resident of Flint, Michigan, came armed to discuss the city's tainted water crisis and a new Lifetime TV movie dramatizing it.

July 29, 2017, at 1:23 a.m.

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — Melissa Mays, a resident of Flint, Michigan, came armed to discuss the city's tainted water crisis and a new Lifetime TV movie dramatizing it.

Mays, speaking to a TV critics' meeting Friday, pointed to several bottles she had filled with her tap water and challenged the room to taste or even smell it. There were no immediate takers.

The activist, who said the battle over water safety continues, is among the residents portrayed in Lifetime's movie titled "Flint," debuting Oct. 28. Mays is played by Marin Ireland, who co-stars with Betsy Brandt, Jill Scott and Queen Latifah...

https://www.usnews.com/news/enterta...ime-movie-flint-dramatizes-citys-water-crisis

I'm hoping some websleuths will watch the movie and let the rest of us know if they think it's accurate or an honest portrayal. I want to see it but as an outsider, even though I've been paying attention, I'm not sure how I would know how much of the fiction is fiction.

I think donating for these kids to go to college is a fine thing. However, my understanding of the situation is there are still thousand of houses where children live that need extensive plumbing repair/replacement so the residents can have lead free water. So I hope that some of these donations will directly address the safety of the water itself.

I think donating for these kids to go to college is a fine thing. However, my understanding of the situation is there are still thousand of houses where children live that need extensive plumbing repair/replacement so the residents can have lead free water. So I hope that some of these donations will directly address the safety of the water itself.

Oh, I certainly agree, 100%. But those funds would come from a different pot, IMO. These funds are earmarked for scholarships as I understand it.

It's just such a tough situation when you can't just up and leave - there is something to be said about being proud and keeping roots where you live and know life, and something else when you just don't have the means or ability to leave.

New felony charges filed in Flint water case
Leonard N. Fleming, The Detroit News Published 11:11 a.m. ET Oct. 9, 2017 | Updated 2:19 p.m. ET Oct. 9, 2017

Flint — Flint investigation special prosecutor Todd Flood filed two new charges Monday against Dr. Eden Wells, accusing the state’s chief medical officer with involuntary manslaughter and misconduct in office in the Flint water crisis.

The hearing for Wells, which was supposed to start at 9:30 a.m., was delayed for more than an hour and a half as attorneys met behind closed doors in the chambers of 67th District Court Judge William Crawford II. Her attorneys said they only learned Monday morning about the additional charges.

Flood said the new charges were due to “some revelations” that stemmed from testimony during last week’s preliminary exam hearing against state Health and Human Services Director Nick Lyon, who is also charged with involuntary manslaughter as well as obstruction of justice...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne.../09/obstruction-hearing-eden-wells/106463504/

Premiere tonight (Saturday) on Lifetime:

Flint
(2017)

A woman deals with the toxic water crisis in Flint, Mich., and its effect on her family.
Queen Latifah, Marin Ireland, Betsy Brandt, Rob Morrow, Lyndie Greenwood

8:00 - 10:04 PM Lifetime

Local (Detroit) review of Lifetime's Flint:

Review: ‘Flint’ looks at the poisoning of a city

There’s no question that the story of Flint’s poisoned water system needs to be told.

There’s no question that the story behind that poisoning reflects much of what is wrong with government today — protecting one’s turf at the expense of the electorate, outright lying, covering up malfeasance, squashing dissonant voices (sounds downright presidential, doesn’t it?).

So there’s no question that “Flint,” the Lifetime movie airing Saturday night, is a righteous exercise. It just could be a better righteous exercise...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/en...e-review-flint-lifetime-lead-water/107039572/

I watched the movie and thought it was alright - not great, but a valiant effort to show how the water crisis affected the community, especially the mothers of young children. As with most Lifetime movies about true crime, Flint was more fiction than fact, but the message came through in some strong female performances. My grade: B- :moo:

Attorney for Lyon says he's appealing judge's Flint water bindover ruling

Genesee District Court Judge David Goggins bound [Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Director Nick] Lyon over for trial Monday, saying special prosecutors showed in his preliminary examination that there was probable cause to believe crimes were committed and that Lyon committed them.

The director is charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter, misconduct in office and willful neglect of duty -- all charges related to his response to the Flint water crisis and the deaths of two Genesee County men during deadly outbreaks of Legionnaires' disease here.

The outbreaks, which state officials have said resulted in at least 12 deaths, were only revealed to the public -- and Gov. Rick Snyder has said to himself -- after the outbreaks were over and Flint was disconnected from Flint River water.

The state decided it has enough evidence to warrant bounding Nick Lyon, director of Michigan's Department of Health and Human Services, over for trial. The charges stem from the deaths of two men from Legionnaires' disease in 2015.

Lyon's defense attorneys plan to challenge the decision.

Michigan Health Director To Stand Trial In Flint Deaths

The state decided it has enough evidence to warrant bounding Nick Lyon, director of Michigan's Department of Health and Human Services, over for trial. The charges stem from the deaths of two men from Legionnaires' disease in 2015.

Lyon's defense attorneys plan to challenge the decision.

Michigan Health Director To Stand Trial In Flint Deaths
I'm glad people are being held responsible for crimes....but Flint is still in a water crisis! Am I right?

State Medical Exec Wells headed to trial on Flint manslaughter charge

Flint — State Chief Medical Executive Eden Wells will head to trial on involuntary manslaughter and other criminal charges related to the city's water crisis, a judge ruled Friday.

67th District Court Judge William Crawford succinctly reviewed the evidence and testimony, hinting early on that he found that Wells not only knew about the 2014-2015 Legionnaires' disease outbreak in the Flint area but agreed with the prosecutor's evidence that she was slow to act and warn other state officials.

The court "found it hard to believe" that Wells would not have known about the outbreak that was prompted by the lead contamination water crisis, Crawford said from the bench...

A judge ruled Friday, making Dr. Eden Wells the second member of Gov. Rick Snyder’s Cabinet to go before a jury.

Wells is among six current or former government officials facing involuntary manslaughter charges in connection with an outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in the Flint area in 2014 and 2015. Wells is now the second high-ranking state official, along with Health and Human Services Director Nick Lyon, to be ordered to trial.

Wells, who like Lyon is accused of failing to alert the public of the spike in Legionnaires’ cases in a timely manner and causing the death of 85-year-old John Snyder, learned of the trial decision from inside a Flint courtroom.

The 55-year-old from Ann Arbor also faces charges of obstructing justice, lying to an investigator and committing misconduct in office.

She denied any wrongdoing.

Michigan’s medical chief to stand trial on Flint charges

Federal judge: Flint suit against Snyder can advance

Lansing – A federal judge on Monday allowed a major class-action lawsuit over the Flint water crisis to move forward and rejected attempts to dismiss counts against former Gov. Rick Snyder.

The ruling by U.S. District Court Judge Judith Levy will allow new evidence in the case that plaintiff attorneys argue shows Snyder was aware of significant risks posed by Flint River water as early as April 2015 but did not inform residents until many months later, when the crisis could no longer be denied...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silver_fox
Back