Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyed your comments. Excellent summary.

It is my opinion that the “teenish” voice may be the most important new information that has been provided for many years.

It is speculation only but I think putting a name to that caller could break the case.

So perhaps someone affiliated with the school caused her some problems. How many male teachers did the 2 girls have? What kind of vehicles did they drive?
So much information seems to come from Janelle. It then gets repeated through people like Mrs. McCall. Sometimes things also get blown out of proportion like being emotional about graduating turns into "being upset". I would like to see other opinions or know that they exist in police records.

I do not know any of these things. Can someone tell me how to delete my account? The pettiness of management necessitates this.
This was in response to a message about Rader and cousin. I need to delete my account as I was banned for a week by management who says they can control speech. How do I delete account? No tab for that.

From the very beginning, I have felt like JK/MH's actions were more than strange. And then I may have been able to get over that except for the fact that Ms. Kirby is also pretty obviously lying as well. The question is WHY? My first instinct was that she was just a social climber who wanted her daughter to get in a sorority (as did Stacy's) and be well thought of in the community and maybe Janelle had been shacking up with Mike at a hotel or something. Which, ok, I mean her friends have just disappeared and she's upset, no need to broadcast her personal transgressions all over the news. My mother would probably have done the same. BUT. Combine this with JK/MH contaminating the scene, plus their various ever-changing reasons for said contamination.....I just think there is more to it than that now.

I also don't believe that JK spent the night at home that night.
She supposedly slept on the sofa and gave her room up to the relatives in town for her graduation . It would explain why she popped up so early after a late night of partying , if a house full of people were stirring about and she’s on the Couch.
There are some contradictments though however , because when Mrs McCall called her sister answered and said she wasn’t there and had already left . In one of the stories it said JK called Mrs McCall to say she was not there .

So, let's back up and look at JK for a minute. This is strictly hearsay, but I read on another thread that someone who knew her in high school said she was someone you didn't want to mess with. She also "joked" in an article dated June 6, 1993 that as for Stacy, the [perp(s)] "would let her go after tiring of her incessant I want my mommy." This statement alone says A LOT to me. Janelle is no goody goody if she's making fun of Stacy, who has at this point been kidnapped and is most likely dead, for being a mommy's girl. Clearly, you don't make comments like this unless you consider that person to be more prudish than you are.

Janelle has a serious boyfriend and it's graduation night. Anyone who's ever been a teenager knows that unless you are Mother Teresa incarnate, you'd be trying to spend the night parking or hooking up with said boyfriend in these circumstances. Even Stacy, who seems by all accounts to be the most innocent and responsible of the group, was busted for sneaking out to see some guy prior to this. The teens had already set up the story of going to Branson, leaving them wide open for the rest of the night regardless of whether they actually went or not. Yet we're supposed to somehow believe that even though her "mommy's girl" friend Stacy is lying to her mom and trying to spend the night random places, Janelle is the only good girl who's going to go home...to her own overcrowded house....and sleep on the floor instead of staying with Mike somewhere? Come on.

My theory is that Branson was Janelle's idea and her motivation was getting to stay in a hotel with Mike graduation night. Due to the fact that Stacy's parents suggested she would not have been allowed to stay with Suzie, I believe that they were under the impression that only girls would be going to the Branson hotel. I can't imagine a reality where you'd allow a guy/girl non chaperoned hotel room but you wouldn't have allowed Stacy to stay with Susie and Sherrill at Delmar. They also expressed serious reservations about the trip due to their own friend dying from a drinking and driving accident graduation night. So, knowing what we know about Stacy, a single girl who is close to her parents and somewhat responsible, she's probably already only lukewarm about the Branson plan to begin with and was possibly only considering this plan because it's what Janelle wanted. Janelle's mother AT THE VERY LEAST knew that guys were also going. Which is why everything originated with she and Janelle. Ms Kirby says she told Sherrill (most likely also/or told Janice) that the girls would call HER when they arrived in Branson. She says if Sherrill needed Susie, she was to call HER to get in touch with her own daughter. The girls are to park at HER house. When Stacy decides not to go after all, she uses HER house as an alternate cover, while actually thinking she's staying at the Joy house. I have little doubt that Ms Kirby is covering for something right out of the gate, and it's either that guys are going to be in Branson (covering for Stacy) or that Susie and Stacy are not really going (covering for Janelle/Mike). The fact that Stacy doesn't seem to have had an overnight bag makes me think that at the time she left her house, she didn't intend to actually go to Branson, but would instead just stay out all night. She could have packed a bathing suit just in case someone had a pool at one of the parties since it was summertime and was planning on returning to her own house the next day while her parents were at the lake.

I lean toward thinking that Susie was not initially invited to Branson. I think she had been replaced in the group by Adina because Stacy and Janelle were going to college and joining a sorority and she was staying behind. Susie had a single mom, she had been living with a boyfriend a year prior, she had just been involved with a guy who was busted violating cemeteries.....to social climbing mothers in conservative USA, Susie would not have been the ideal friend for a perfect public image. The facts that support this theory include other friends testimony that Susie was worried about being in the "in crowd" and that she "didn't have enough friends," along with the strange allegations from Janelle that Susie was "sad" at graduation and asking people to spend the night with her. To me, this would be typical behavior of a teenage girl who feels left out. She's sad and she's also asking people to spend the night with her in order to gain an invite to whatever they are doing. Another fact that makes me lean toward this theory is that Sherrill declines an invitation from Ms Kirby to graduation dinner. We got this information from a friend of Sherrill's, who says it was unlike her. I think Sherrill, being close with Susie, may have been mad at Janelle and her mom due to hurting her daughter's feelings. Additionally, after the ceremony we have Nigel's statement that Susie dropped plans with her at the last minute and also Appleby's testimony that all was well and that susie and stacy were happy. She had been invited after all, probably by Stacy.

Now the question of what Janelle and Mike actually did that night and how much Janelle's mom was in on the plan. If we do not believe she stayed at home (which I absolutely do not), then they either 1) stayed in town somewhere or 2) actually went ahead to the Branson hotel room. It would help a lot to know Adina's circumstances- she's kind of the dark horse witness we don't know anything about- did she also have a serious boyfriend? The fact that Adina is one of the first people aware of the situation (she says she's "worried" about the girls when she finds out the situation that morning from Janelle) and then she shows up, with her mother no less, the next day at the house shows me there's more involvement there than meets the eye. I wonder if Adina also had a boyfriend and Janelle and Mike were with them most of the night before. If she was single and a member of this friend "group," you'd think she would have been hanging with Susie and Stacy yet she was not to my knowledge.

So, let's back up and look at JK for a minute. This is strictly hearsay, but I read on another thread that someone who knew her in high school said she was someone you didn't want to mess with. She also "joked" in an article dated June 6, 1993 that as for Stacy, the [perp(s)] "would let her go after tiring of her incessant I want my mommy." This statement alone says A LOT to me. Janelle is no goody goody if she's making fun of Stacy, who has at this point been kidnapped and is most likely dead, for being a mommy's girl. Clearly, you don't make comments like this unless you consider that person to be more prudish than you are.

Janelle has a serious boyfriend and it's graduation night. Anyone who's ever been a teenager knows that unless you are Mother Teresa incarnate, you'd be trying to spend the night parking or hooking up with said boyfriend in these circumstances. Even Stacy, who seems by all accounts to be the most innocent and responsible of the group, was busted for sneaking out to see some guy prior to this. The teens had already set up the story of going to Branson, leaving them wide open for the rest of the night regardless of whether they actually went or not. Yet we're supposed to somehow believe that even though her "mommy's girl" friend Stacy is lying to her mom and trying to spend the night random places, Janelle is the only good girl who's going to go home...to her own overcrowded house....and sleep on the floor instead of staying with Mike somewhere? Come on.

My theory is that Branson was Janelle's idea and her motivation was getting to stay in a hotel with Mike graduation night. Due to the fact that Stacy's parents suggested she would not have been allowed to stay with Suzie, I believe that they were under the impression that only girls would be going to the Branson hotel. I can't imagine a reality where you'd allow a guy/girl non chaperoned hotel room but you wouldn't have allowed Stacy to stay with Susie and Sherrill at Delmar. They also expressed serious reservations about the trip due to their own friend dying from a drinking and driving accident graduation night. So, knowing what we know about Stacy, a single girl who is close to her parents and somewhat responsible, she's probably already only lukewarm about the Branson plan to begin with and was possibly only considering this plan because it's what Janelle wanted. Janelle's mother AT THE VERY LEAST knew that guys were also going. Which is why everything originated with she and Janelle. Ms Kirby says she told Sherrill (most likely also/or told Janice) that the girls would call HER when they arrived in Branson. She says if Sherrill needed Susie, she was to call HER to get in touch with her own daughter. The girls are to park at HER house. When Stacy decides not to go after all, she uses HER house as an alternate cover, while actually thinking she's staying at the Joy house. I have little doubt that Ms Kirby is covering for something right out of the gate, and it's either that guys are going to be in Branson (covering for Stacy) or that Susie and Stacy are not really going (covering for Janelle/Mike). The fact that Stacy doesn't seem to have had an overnight bag makes me think that at the time she left her house, she didn't intend to actually go to Branson, but would instead just stay out all night. She could have packed a bathing suit just in case someone had a pool at one of the parties since it was summertime and was planning on returning to her own house the next day while her parents were at the lake.

I lean toward thinking that Susie was not initially invited to Branson. I think she had been replaced in the group by Adina because Stacy and Janelle were going to college and joining a sorority and she was staying behind. Susie had a single mom, she had been living with a boyfriend a year prior, she had just been involved with a guy who was busted violating cemeteries.....to social climbing mothers in conservative USA, Susie would not have been the ideal friend for a perfect public image. The facts that support this theory include other friends testimony that Susie was worried about being in the "in crowd" and that she "didn't have enough friends," along with the strange allegations from Janelle that Susie was "sad" at graduation and asking people to spend the night with her. To me, this would be typical behavior of a teenage girl who feels left out. She's sad and she's also asking people to spend the night with her in order to gain an invite to whatever they are doing. Another fact that makes me lean toward this theory is that Sherrill declines an invitation from Ms Kirby to graduation dinner. We got this information from a friend of Sherrill's, who says it was unlike her. I think Sherrill, being close with Susie, may have been mad at Janelle and her mom due to hurting her daughter's feelings. Additionally, after the ceremony we have Nigel's statement that Susie dropped plans with her at the last minute and also Appleby's testimony that all was well and that susie and stacy were happy. She had been invited after all, probably by Stacy.

Now the question of what Janelle and Mike actually did that night and how much Janelle's mom was in on the plan. If we do not believe she stayed at home (which I absolutely do not), then they either 1) stayed in town somewhere or 2) actually went ahead to the Branson hotel room. It would help a lot to know Adina's circumstances- she's kind of the dark horse witness we don't know anything about- did she also have a serious boyfriend? The fact that Adina is one of the first people aware of the situation (she says she's "worried" about the girls when she finds out the situation that morning from Janelle) and then she shows up, with her mother no less, the next day at the house shows me there's more involvement there than meets the eye. I wonder if Adina also had a boyfriend and Janelle and Mike were with them most of the night before. If she was single and a member of this friend "group," you'd think she would have been hanging with Susie and Stacy yet she was not to my knowledge.
Very nice write-up! You've said what I basically feel and pretty much summed up what I think about Kathy Kirby knowing. I can see being upset at someone for hurting your child's feelings. I would be as well. Especially if I was to get invited after the fact. It is strange to me that Shane said they were happy. Michelle Elders also stated everything was fine. It could have been during the parties but I believe Stacy was planning to meet up with someone. I agree 100% with the fact that it was graduation night and almost anyone at that age who had a significant other/ romantic interest, would want to spend some of the night with them. I also feel like Janelle, at least to an extent, knew something was off. I also don't believe Janelle stayed at home that night, and believe that Kathy Kirby is the type of mother who will defend her daughter even if she's in the wrong. That may sound like a harsh judgment, but I've seen plenty of parents like this in school. So many parents think their child can do no wrong.

Right. I can think of two mothers from own high school group who not only knew we snuck out, but were active participants in the cover up. Yet, they were also the mothers who wanted their child to be most popular and have a good reputation, and were also all about social climbing for their kids. It creates a strange dynamic. I think it has a lot to do with wanting to be the "cool" parent and also wanting your kid to be socially on top. I truly wish we could talk to Adina, I think she is one person who could shed a lot of light on the situation at this point. I personally believe Adina was the friend who Janelle got to call Ms McCall that morning (because Janelle couldn't call without blowing the cover) and I also have the feeling that Adina's mother is the parent Janelle called to ask about locking the door. Edit to say Adina OR bf could have called Janice.

Last edited:
@eyeseestars I love your breakdowns of this case. I think some of the information about Suzie wanting to fit in comes from Janelle or the McCalls. She seemed independent and like a teenager with her own mind. I don't think she was begging to stay at houses because she wasn't popular I think she wanted to stay around others, to avoid someone or people that paid Stacy and her an uncomfortable amounts of attention. All the people going into Sherrill and Suzie's home claim they weren't close. WTF were they doing there? lol.
I never really thought of a hotel/motel being acceptable and not the Levitt/Streeter home. Not to mention driving around in the dark to get to Branson. Maybe blaming Sherrill because she isn't around to defend herself makes people feel better. It seemed like many parents had kids drinking on their property like the Elder's and the Kirby's and they had no problem letting kids drive around. Sherrill wasn't giving alcohol to minors and yet again people seem horrified that she is single, divorced and a hairdresser. It's possible that Sherrill declined the Kirby's invitation because she didn't care for them. Someone once mentioned that one reason so many showed up at the Delmar house could have been because they were nosey. Maybe Sherrill stayed out of gossip and did her own thing. I don't know these are just some thoughts I had.

I love reading your posts.

So much information seems to come from Janelle. It then gets repeated through people like Mrs. McCall. Sometimes things also get blown out of proportion like being emotional about graduating turns into "being upset". I would like to see other opinions or know that they exist in police records.
I agree that most information came from only a few people. Let's hope they can sort fact from misinformation and solve this case soon.

I 100% agree with your post.
The APCO sighting was dismissed because Janelle said there was no way Stacy and Suzie went there because Janelle was with them the entire night. So that sighting was dismissed. The only 3 people who mention Suzie having a stomach ache are Janelle, Shane and Kathy Kirby. I am convinced the only reason Janis said Suzie had a stomach ache and wanted to go home was because someone told her that.
View attachment 252178
A stomach ache is a good excuse to not go someplace after being invited by someone. Perhaps that invitation was made by the same person that made one of the girls uncomfortable at the graduation ceremony.

Do we even have hard evidence that Janelle and Mike were actually EVER with Susie and Stacy that night? Other than Janelle/Ms Kirby's testimony?

Here's what I've seen:

1) Janelle makes inconsistent statements about the arrival of Stacy/Susie to her house. First, in the June 19th News Leader she says that Stacy arrived first and that Susie was "late". Then in the 28th article, she says that Susie got there first and then Stacy arrived after. Not a big deal except that saying Susie had been "late" makes it seem too specific to suddenly forget a week later.

2) First public mention of the initial departure from the Kirby residence is in the Kansas City Star on June 9. Kathy Kirby says the girls left her house with Janelle around 9 and this is the last time she saw them. Doesn't mention Mike. Same with June 9th article in News Leader- 9 with Janelle, no mike. June 10th New Leader says same- Janelle, Stacy, Susie (no Mike) leave and walk to Joy party. When do we see Mike joining the walk to the Joy's? I still haven't found anything that says he's with them at this point but I would like to see the date this was first disclosed.

3) No one, to my knowledge, mentions Janelle or Mike in their recollections of events. Although Janelle says the two "never left her sight for more than a few minutes", Appleby doesn't mention either one of them, only that he talked to Susie while Stacy was talking to "other people." Then we hear the reverse from Michelle Elder, who says she talked awhile with Stacy while Susie was the one talking to others. Why does no one mention Janelle/Mike if they were all joined at the hip as JK says they were? Also, contrary to some of Janelle's early statements which seem to imply that the group all traveled between parties together, we know that Appleby makes it clear that only the two girls rode with him to from the Elder party and back to their cars. Who were Janelle/Mike riding with since they supposedly didn't have a car either? In a Jeep, you should be able to easily fit five....why weren't Jk/Mh in that car?

4) The final stop at the Kirby's is definitely where information starts getting super sketchy. Initial police report, when asked when they were last seen, Janelle and Mike first say "at a graduation party" then follow up with that they all went to Janelles. Why not just say Janelles? Also no mention by KK of hearing them outside. Wouldn't you chime in and say you heard them if police were asking? June 9 article in Kansas City Star says last seen at 2:00 leaving graduation party. Clear that at this point media hasn't talked to Appleby yet. No mention of Kirby house departure and 2:00 is the last time they were at the Joy house. Again, Kathy Kirby quoted in article but makes no mention of hearing the girls outside. June 9, News Leader article "last time Kathy Kirby saw Suzi and Stacy was at 9pm. Yet again, no mention of hearing them outside. Wouldn't any normal person when asked when they last saw someone mention if you heard them? Says they returned after 2am to get cars but doesn't specify who was with them. Now, on June 10th, the story begins to change. Whereas before, Kathy Kirby didn't hear anything and had not seen the girls since 9, all of a sudden the article in the News Leader says at around 2am "Kathy Kirby offers to let them spend the night but not wanting to impose they decline." So is she now suggesting she saw and talked to them at 2am? Or is she saying that when they left her house at 9 they already knew they weren't going to Branson? Fishy fishy fishy. Finally, around June 14th, KK decides to tell everyone that ACTUALLY, she heard Suzi and Stacy outside when they got back. Apparently she just remembered. Neat.

Again, the reason I'm going through all of this is because I think that KK/JK/MH aren't telling the whole truth. For the inconsistencies above, I would argue it's most likely that Janelle and Mike were shacking up somewhere and she didn't want word to get out about that- especially to Ms Mccall. I'm beginning to think that KK took Asher aside early on and "confided" their silly secret to him....perhaps he checked with the hotel, alibi checks out, but wink wink we're not going to tell anybody don't worry. The kids have been through enough. And here we have the head of M.A.D.D. with us too- their little girl Adina. These are good kids, nothing to see here folks. Which is why they were allowed to get away with so many discrepancies and why no one challenged them at all, even though their stories in hindsight seem wildly inaccurate and inconsistent.

If anyone has any additions or corrections to anything above, please feel free to let me know! It's hard to find a lot of the older articles, I know I'm missing a bunch.

No way teens knocked out at 3 am and were up calling by 7:30/8 imo. So my guess is they never went to sleep.

Is it true janells shorts were wet that next night at 1030? What on earth?

Also, you see shattered glass, an unlocked door, purses still inside and some weird caller and instead of calling 911 you jaunt off to a water park? I could see that from 11 year olds, not folks their age. Thats weird. And then they supppsedly return at 7 but cops still arent called for 3 hours?

I dont understand any of that.

No way teens knocked out at 3 am and were up calling by 7:30/8 imo. So my guess is they never went to sleep.

I remember doing that as a teen, especially if something big was planned.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it true janells shorts were wet that next night at 1030?

I did not see that in the original police report.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Also, you see shattered glass, an unlocked door, purses still inside and some weird caller and instead of calling 911 you jaunt off to a water park? I could see that from 11 year olds, not folks their age.

It is possible that Janelle thought her friends were just pranking her and that's why she walked into the house (police report states her and Mike knocked, rang, and announced themselves before entering).
Finding no one there they headed out asking people if there was a pool nearby that the girls might have gone to.

I mean, three people going missing from a house is very rare and teenagers don't 'think it could happen to them or anyone they know - it's just not in their conscience.

Also, you see shattered glass, an unlocked door, purses still inside and some weird caller and instead of calling 911 you jaunt off to a water park? I could see that from 11 year olds, not folks their age.

It is possible that Janelle thought her friends were just pranking her and that's why she walked into the house (police report states her and Mike knocked, rang, and announced themselves before entering).
Finding no one there they headed out asking people if there was a pool nearby that the girls might have gone to.

I mean, three people going missing from a house is very rare and teenagers don't 'think it could happen to them or anyone they know - it's just not in their conscience.

As a teen id be sleeping i til at least 11 or 12 pm the shorts were mentioned in a previous thread where apparently (?) A responding officer made note of them. Somewhere in the previous thread unless im completely mistaken.

I think it’s in 48 Hours that Officer Bookout
mentions Janelle’s shorts. If I remember correctly he found it weird that her shorts were soaking wet at that time of night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member