Found Deceased MN - Madeline Jane Kingsbury, 26, mother of 2, Winona, 31 Mar 2023 *arrest* #2

JUN 9, 2023
  • Fravel is being held on two counts of second-degree murder, but authorities say more charges could be in the works.
  • ... his bail was set at a million dollars.
  • His next court appearance is set for July 20.
  • A judge set Fravel’s bail Friday at $2 million without conditions and $1 million with conditions.
From the second link :
Kingsbury’s remains were found on June 7 by a sheriff’s deputy between Choice and Mabel, Minnesota, on a property maintained by one of Fravel’s family members, the complaint said.
Red bolding mine.
Curious if there will be any more arrests ?
Imo.

From Page 5 of Complaint- order of detention

Former partner of Madeline Kingsbury charged with 2 counts of 2nd degree murder

The medical examiner noted that a knotted towel had been wrapped around Madeline’s head and neck.

@FrazzledNoodle Asked
I can't tell exactly from the wording, but I think she still had the towel around her neck when she was located?

I can't tell exactly from the wording, but I think she still had the towel around her neck when she was located?

If they were able to ID her from dental records AND tattoos.. would that indicate limited decomposition? Even wrapped in a sheet, decomp smells would have been strong throughout the area right? Is it still really cold in MN?

JUN 9, 2023
[...]

"Remember in Minnesota, if you choke someone, that's automatically a felony. So this case is going to revolve a lot around prior instances of domestic abuse," legal analyst Joe Tamburino said.

Violence Free Minnesota says there are four risk factors in abusive relationships that could lead to a homicide: history of violence, threats to kill, access to firearms and leaving the relationship.

"Three of those - threats to kill, history of violence and leaving the relationship - those were all present in Madeline's case," said Joe Shannon, Communications Program Manager at Violence Free Minnesota.

[...]

"If a person leaves a relationship, the abuser no longer has power and control over them and worst-case scenario, they will then kill the victim in the ultimate act of power and control," Shannon said.

[...]

"If you have children with an abuser, it's gonna make it exponentially harder to leave that relationship," Shannon said. "People are out there who will support you and will help you access safety. There are domestic violence programs and resources."

[...]

Such a lot of resources and energy put into searches and investigation when he could so easily have owned up. Just shows us how weak abusers are, trying to hold power but it covers cowardice.

I'm interested in why he took the children to his parents after collecting them from childcare, was that because he thought he'd be found out immediately?

I'm reading now! The license plate switch! OMG. Sure, we do that daily in the US. Gotta love all the cameras everyone has these days!!!
They knew from early on it was him. What a P O S he is.

Taunting LE before his arrest isn't going to do him any favors. I hope he has a very uncomfortable cell stay while he awaits his trial, of course without violating his due process. I can imagine that the other inmates are going to pick up quickly how this guy operates. Thankfully he will never have an opportunity to ruin his kids life by being in their lives.

Last edited:
Such a lot of resources and energy put into searches and investigation when he could so easily have owned up. Just shows us how weak abusers are, trying to hold power but it covers cowardice.

I'm interested in why he took the children to his parents after collecting them from childcare, was that because he thought he'd be found out immediately?
My guess would be he didn't want to try and explain to the children where Mommy was.

What did AF tell his parents when he showed up there with the kids?

I think he took them there so someone else could care for them.

He doesn’t strike me as a nurturing father figure.

MOO

My guess would be he didn't want to try and explain to the children where Mommy was.

What did AF tell his parents when he showed up there with the kids?
He doesn't strike me as very bright so MOO is he gave some BS excuse and in his mind that was satisfactory. I get the feeling that in his twisted mind, this is somehow justified because he "loved" her and she just didn't understand. Seems pretty typical in DV cases that the perp somehow thinks they were 'forced' to do it because the victim just didn't get it how much they loved them.

Prosecutor here - I practice in CA. I solely prosecute aggravated felony domestic violence, DV stalking, DV sexual assault, and DV criminal threats, so this is my specialty. This guy is a classic abuser and we are lucky he didn't pull a Chris Watts and didn't have a chance to pull a Josh Powell.

We do things differently here in CA. We do have a grand jury system but we rarely use it. We generally utilize it if, say, defense counsel is dragging their feet on a case, or if there is a lot of public scrutiny or attention around a case and we want to get it done quietly. We don't have to use it though so I could charge a first degree murder in this case without utilizing it like it seems like they have to do in MN. I'm hoping that they bring in the family members and friends who've witnessed the prior DV so that they have those elements necessary for murder 1. He's currently only booked on murder 2 but he isn't formally charged so I fully expect he will be formally charged with murder 1 ultimately.

my professional opinion only

Prosecutor here - I practice in CA. I solely prosecute aggravated felony domestic violence, DV stalking, DV sexual assault, and DV criminal threats, so this is my specialty. This guy is a classic abuser and we are lucky he didn't pull a Chris Watts and didn't have a chance to pull a Josh Powell.

We do things differently here in CA. We do have a grand jury system but we rarely use it. We generally utilize it if, say, defense counsel is dragging their feet on a case, or if there is a lot of public scrutiny or attention around a case and we want to get it done quietly. We don't have to use it though so I could charge a first degree murder in this case without utilizing it like it seems like they have to do in MN. I'm hoping that they bring in the family members and friends who've witnessed the prior DV so that they have those elements necessary for murder 1. He's currently only booked on murder 2 but he isn't formally charged so I fully expect he will be formally charged with murder 1 ultimately.

Your professional opinion is appreciated

Good to see you Rio, and thank you for weighing in. Really glad to hear that you expect M1 charges. MOO

Would love some education around how this type of conviction might work. If they tried for 1st degree, but were not successful proving that without a reasonable doubt to a jury, would he just walk free? Is there such a thing as go for one but can convict for 2nd?

I don’t understand how this could be 2nd degree if you look at the intent needed to use a towel, and knot it around someone’s neck. This is not an instantaneous death. You would have to be hands on for some time. Lots of time to change your mind. MOO

I just want justice to be done here. I can’t stand the idea of this guy getting 2nd degree and getting out in 20 years.

Thanks for your insight on this.

Would love some education around how this type of conviction might work. If they tried for 1st degree, but were not successful proving that without a reasonable doubt to a jury, would he just walk free? Is there such a thing as go for one but can convict for 2nd?

I don’t understand how this could be 2nd degree if you look at the intent needed to use a towel, and knot it around someone’s neck. This is not an instantaneous death. You would have to be hands on for some time. Lots of time to change your mind. MOO

I just want justice to be done here. I can’t stand the idea of this guy getting 2nd degree and getting out in 20 years.

Thanks for your insight on this.

You can read the MN code here, the jury can convict for lesser included offenses.

The issue of why the suspect is (only) charged with Murder 2 has been discussed up-thread. In that state, only a grand jury indictment will result in a Murder 1 charge. The prosecutor has also publically addressed this question.

You can read the MN code here, the jury can convict for lesser included offenses.

The issue of why the suspect is (only) charged with Murder 2 has been discussed up-thread. In that state, only a grand jury indictment will result in a Murder 1 charge. The prosecutor has also publically addressed this question.
Thank you, glad to read that line in the statute.

I understand that only a grand jury can indict the murder 1. What I’m not clear on is if they anticipate involving the grand jury in this case, or if they will only try for M 2. When I read the prosecution’s response I didn’t feel like their was clear intent to enact the grand jury. But maybe it was too subtle for me!

MOO

Thanks for this clarification.

I remain hopeful that if they believe they can prove it and have enough evidence , they'll go for the first degree with premeditation !
It's now a matter of the prosecution making sure they have the evidence needed to show that he'd contemplated this previously.
My .02 is that the fact that he threatened her regarding the Gabby Petito case and that Madeline's fate could be similar, should be sufficient ?
But the burden is of course on the prosecution.

I worry about what he could do to the children if he's out in 20 years, although they'd be grown ... but still.
M00.

I may of looked at his differently. The prosecution has plenty of evidence to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt M2. The prosecution just got the case, they wanted him arrested ASAP M2 would be the charge. As the prosecution looks at the evidence it will probably go to the Grand jury to change to M1 plus any other charges. The prosecution will nail him.

JUN 10, 2023
[...]

The event was originally planned while Kingsbury was missing.

Since the news of her passing-- the goal shifted.

[...]

The money raised today will be set aside for her children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJW4966
Back