MO - Furious Friends Demand Answers After 3 Men Found Dead at Kansas City Home Days After Watching Football Game, January 2024 #4

I wonder whether it's even possible to allege defamation, when the defamatory claims are made in a lawsuit.

For eg, Amber Heard could be sued because her claims were published in an article she wrote. She didn't make her claims as part of a lawsuit against Depp.

I know of a few cases where civil suits have, IMO, been filed specifically for the reason that news media can report allegations made in lawsuits because they form part of court documents. Where otherwise MMM would not publish the same allegations if they came from the same person just talking to the media in their living room. (Tho devious outlets like the Daily Mail put them in headlines only, or publish them as part of an opinion column/show, or 'interview' that's allegedly 'not news'.

JMO
Good points. So far though, it doesn't appear the allegations of the families blaming JW in various ways (cited in the links in my 1:37 pm post today) are part of a lawsuit. I guess things can always get worse but it's hard to imagine worse allegations than have been made (as in unprovable allegations that might still end up in a lawsuit.) JW has pretty much been called a liar, a longtime dealer of drugs, and a murderer in quotes reported by the press. Think those are reputation killers.
MOO

RSBM.

I would think by now the police know who supplied the drugs. There must be phone/text evidence, prior history of purchases, etc. All of which would presumably prove that JW wasn't the source.

The medical examiner's report would show if the bodies had been disturbed in any way after their death.

There could also be testimony from friends, etc. if the three had a history of prior drug use. As well as testimony as from classmates to whether JW ever created designer drugs in high school.

It may not be worthwhile to pursue a defamation suit, but I think that JW could prove that many of the more sensational allegations lodged against him are untrue.
Maybe. I'm not quite that optimistic. As I said, I don't think JW did what the families have claimed but proving that would still be tricky IMO.

If the men were comatose but not dead, their bodies could be moved. And it's my understanding that lividity may begin about 30 minutes after death but sometimes is delayed until about 2 hours after death. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/livor-mortis#:~:text=Livor mortis, also known as,little as 30 min postmortem.

So I'm not sure he could disprove the claim he moved the men outside (except that it sounds like a ridiculous claim IMO and perhaps jurors would agree. Plus, those guys were not tiny.)

I agree if someone else is arrested and convicted of supplying the drugs to one of the three dead men, that would be proof JW didn't supply the drugs. But unless there is an arrest and a conviction, I don't know that LE would testify that X did it instead of JW. And having people testify the dead men had done drugs before doesn't really address the bulk of the claims against JW.

The high school chemistry issue becomes a he/she said IMO. Family members of the deceased men say he did that in high school. Other classmates from 20+ years ago probably could be found to testify they never heard of him doing that or at least don't remember ever hearing that. I don't think that's strong proof he didn't do it (although I personally doubt he did.)

MOO

Last edited:
JW has pretty much been called a liar, a longtime dealer of drugs, and a murderer in quotes reported by the press. Think those are reputation killers.
MOO
<Snipped for focus>

Agree, and JW may lose his livelihood and suffer other serious damages throughout his life based on these statements to the media. Maybe his lawyer should send a cease and desist letter to those who are making such accusations about JW to the media, and if they don't stop, then consider his own civil lawsuit.

BBM

I'm not sure how JW could possibly "prove" the families' allegations against him are untrue. Personally I do not believe he drugged his friends with knowingly tainted drugs, dragged their dying bodies outside into his fenced yard, posed one body in a chair, posed the other two bodies on the ground, and then went back inside and went to bed. I doubt there is any evidence he did any of those things. But how can he prove he didn't?

And I think the accusations are ridiculous that as "the chemist" he created custom drugs for friends in a lab during high school. He probably had one high school chemistry class. Maybe two. And he was supposed to be creating custom drugs in a secret lab before he continued his education at a small regional branch of the state university? (School choice suggests he probably wasn't a high school prodigy.) But how could he possibly prove those things didn't happen over 20 years ago? It's pretty difficult, if not impossible, to prove any negative, even one that supposedly happened a few months ago, but one from a few decades ago? .

Given what we know now, I can't imagine wrongful death suits against JW succeeding (assuming the civil trials were fair.) First the families denied the dead men ever did drugs. And then said the men may have taken drugs but they didn't "intend" to take drugs. (I can believe they didn't intend to take fentanyl although I don't see why they wouldn't know that could be in other drugs. And I do understand the families' denial but not their harsh and public blame of JW.) But with a wrongful death suit, we are apparently supposed to believe JW knowingly supplied tainted drugs and pressured the men to take them? And according to some family members, when it became apparent the drugs were bad, then dragged the fairly large dead or dying men outside to add hypothermia to the mix? Maybe he even planned to murder them because they saw something they shouldn't have? At least that's the way the harm has been spoken about by some of the families.

I'm also not sure anything goes for families to say because it's their opinion. I know opinions are shielded from defamation. But I always thought saying "I think he killed his wife" was an opinion whereas "He killed his wife" was a statement of fact & therefore possibly defamatory. Most of the families' statements appear to be statements of fact, at least the ones I've seen (unless the family members were misquoted.)

Of course, we've not heard directly from JW about a possible defamation lawsuit - we've heard from a purported "friend" of JW's. In contrast, we have heard allegations of murder and intentional killing aimed at JW directly by some family members and girlfriends.
MOO

You don't have to be a drug addict to take drugs. Lots of people use drugs recreationally and would never consider themselves 'addicts' just like regular drinkers don't consider themselves alcoholics. Both of those POV can be true. People who take drugs recreationally are just as likely as a hard core users to come in contact with bad drugs. Anyone who buys drugs like cocaine in this day and age are risking the fact the drug is tainted with fentanyl. I don't believe for a minute, that there was malign intent for any of these deaths. They gambled and they lost, as hard as that is to accept.

While I understand the grief over losing family members especially over something that could be avoided, DH's family aren't doing themselves any favours, imo, and could likely be countersued for defamation if they continue.

It may not be worthwhile to pursue a defamation suit, but I think that JW could prove that many of the more sensational allegations lodged against him are untrue.
Police would have turned JW's house inside out looking for illegal drugs, traces of drugs, any evidence at all that there were drugs in the house or that drugs were used in the house; JW hasn't been arrested or listed as a person of interest. I won't speculate on his addiction issues.

MOO, one of the three friends inadvertently scored some drugs (marijuana and/or cocaine) laced with lethal amounts of fentanyl. Maybe they were outside because they were smoking pot, maybe JW didn't know want illegal drugs used in his house, maybe they hoovered up a line of coke and then one guy went outside for some reason, the other two followed to see what he was doing out there and they were overcome in a very short period of time. There's a huge amount of speculation about the three being outside, but really it doesn't matter. They died from fentanyl poisoning; once the fentanyl was in their bodies, it was just a matter of time.

Again, IMO, the family is sadly in denial that these wonderful men were also casual recreational drug users and fentanyl poisoning took their lives.

<Snipped for focus>

Agree, and JW may lose his livelihood and suffer other serious damages throughout his life based on these statements to the media. Maybe his lawyer should send a cease and desist letter to those who are making such accusations about JW to the media, and if they don't stop, then consider his own civil lawsuit.

I said that early on, when people started saying disgusting things to the press about JW. Their comments could definitely have a negative effect on his future livelihood and reputation. I don't know if he's still on sick leave but I hope he is able to go back to this same job or maybe transfer to another city away from the b.s.

Police would have turned JW's house inside out looking for illegal drugs, traces of drugs, any evidence at all that there were drugs in the house or that drugs were used in the house; JW hasn't been arrested or listed as a person of interest. I won't speculate on his addiction issues.

MOO, one of the three friends inadvertently scored some drugs (marijuana and/or cocaine) laced with lethal amounts of fentanyl. Maybe they were outside because they were smoking pot, maybe JW didn't know want illegal drugs used in his house, maybe they hoovered up a line of coke and then one guy went outside for some reason, the other two followed to see what he was doing out there and they were overcome in a very short period of time. There's a huge amount of speculation about the three being outside, but really it doesn't matter. They died from fentanyl poisoning; once the fentanyl was in their bodies, it was just a matter of time.

Again, IMO, the family is sadly in denial that these wonderful men were also casual recreational drug users and fentanyl poisoning took their lives.

This summation that you've posted leads to a sad but logical conclusion. It began with LE telling us there was no murder investigation. Basically, they were saying they, the 3 friends, David Harrington, 37, Ricky Johnson, 38, and Clayton McGeeney, 36, unintentionally killed themselves or got themselves killed.

How the 3 friends managed to be together outdoors in order to freeze to death is a surreal oddity. All things at a death scene won't make sense. After all this time and rehab, I wonder if JW would tell the same story that they left and he fell asleep. If they left, why are they dead in the backyard?

My local pharmacy sells kits that detects fent in drugs. The kits were upwards of $50 bucks. I didn't read the specs but can put it on the list.

Basically, they were saying they, the 3 friends, David Harrington, 37, Ricky Johnson, 38, and Clayton McGeeney, 36, unintentionally killed themselves or got themselves killed.
Yes, this is the tragedy of the fentanyl epidemic. The number of people in this country dying from fentanyl poisoning on a daily basis is staggering. Based on the numbers below (150/day) that's 54,000 people dying every year in the US from fentanyl type overdose. I've seen 70,000 posted elsewhere.

CDC Fentanyl Facts: "Fentanyl and other synthetic opioids are the most common drugs involved in overdose deaths. Even in small doses, it can be deadly. Over 150 people die every day from overdoses related to synthetic opioids like fentanyl."

PSA:
Fentanyl Mixed with Zylazine is an Emerging Threat in the US
An animal tranquilizer called xylazine is increasingly being found
in the US illicit drug supply and linked to overdose deaths. Xylazine can be life-threatening and is especially dangerous when combined with opioids like fentanyl.

CDC: What You Should Know About Xylazine
...One study from 10 US cities showed xylazine was involved in less than 1% of drug overdose deaths in 2015 and in nearly 7% in 2020. In samples from eight syringe service programs in Maryland tested between 2021 and 2022, xylazine was found in almost 80% of drug samples that contained opioids...

Last edited:
This summation that you've posted leads to a sad but logical conclusion. It began with LE telling us there was no murder investigation. Basically, they were saying they, the 3 friends, David Harrington, 37, Ricky Johnson, 38, and Clayton McGeeney, 36, unintentionally killed themselves or got themselves killed.

How the 3 friends managed to be together outdoors in order to freeze to death is a surreal oddity. All things at a death scene won't make sense. After all this time and rehab, I wonder if JW would tell the same story that they left and he fell asleep. If they left, why are they dead in the backyard?

My local pharmacy sells kits that detects fent in drugs. The kits were upwards of $50 bucks. I didn't read the specs but can put it on the list.
Many state health departments provide fentanyl test strips for free. In several states you can obtain fentanyl test strips at no charge from the same places you can obtain free Narcan.

This link contains information on how to obtain free fentanyl test strips by mail in any state, and instructions on how to use them.

learn how to use them​

• If you are injecting, first prepare your shot. Next, add ten drops of water to your cooker and stir well.
  • If you are snorting your drugs, add ten drops of water into the empty baggie that your drugs came in and mix well.
  • If you are using pills, you can crush one in an empty baggie and then dump out the powder. Then add ten drops of water into the baggie and mix well.
  • Dip your fentanyl test strip into the water up to the wavy lines and wait fifteen seconds and then take it out.

If they were all smokers maybe they went out to smoke? I am presuming there's a lot of minutiae regarding the tableau of their demise that has been related to the families and they choose not to publicize them because it doesn't fit with the narrative they are peddling. And I can understand it, from a point, when behaviors that are deemed negative by society put the deceaseds in a negative light.

But this isn't like searching for someone who went missing (Riley Strain scenarios) wasted from drugs or alcohol so families minimize their loved one's drug use, etc. because they need the compassion of the public to remain interested in finding them. These are men who were found exactly where they said they'd be. All dead, all outside, I'm presuming dressed for the outside, all having tox screens showing cocaine and fentanyl and probably alcohol levels.

I always felt that the cousin of one of the deceased, the one who targeted JW as the scientist who concocted drugs potions in high school was trying to stave off any whiff of involvement from family members or the deceased. Even when families of two of the deceased admitted they might have dabbled in drugs but not seriously (meaning not to die). It seems so disingenuous to make statements like that. As if any drug taker consumes them to die not get high.

At some point in time, especially when LE keeps reiterating that these deaths were not criminal in nature, more details need to be released. Details that were confidential to show compassion and privacy to the family of the victims but are now allowing the targeting of an individual who according to LE is not a suspect.

Many state health departments provide fentanyl test strips for free. In several states you can obtain fentanyl test strips at no charge from the same places you can obtain free Narcan.
When I went to a pharmacy to pick up a prescription a few weeks ago, there were fentanyl test strips available on a closeby counter, for free, with a one-sheet instruction paper.

When I went to a pharmacy to pick up a prescription a few weeks ago, there were fentanyl test strips available on a closeby counter, for free, with a one-sheet instruction paper.
That’s great! This is a big topic of discussion in the classes I teach. When I first started teaching the opioid education classes fentanyl test strips were seldom available, now we are seeing them more widely available.

I said that early on, when people started saying disgusting things to the press about JW. Their comments could definitely have a negative effect on his future livelihood and reputation. I don't know if he's still on sick leave but I hope he is able to go back to this same job or maybe transfer to another city away from the b.s.
JW works or worked from home, so i guess he could live someplace else and do his job.

Idk if he is back at work yet or not. So, that's why the difference tenses on work.

ETA: although idk if he even needs to worry about moving away. He lives in a city. He could just move to a different neighborhood. A lot of people aren't going to recognize him as connected to any of this imo (i don't think i would recognize him if i saw him, for example).

How the 3 friends managed to be together outdoors in order to freeze to death is a surreal oddity. All things at a death scene won't make sense. After all this time and rehab, I wonder if JW would tell the same story that they left and he fell asleep. If they left, why are they dead in the backyard ?

Bolded by me.
At this time I suspect Occam's Razor would apply.
I.e., this is not a criminal investigation.

The bolded is something that may never be solved.
I thought the families' of the deceased were mainly wondering how the substances that killed the men were sourced ?
Can't blame them for at least wanting to know who supplied what.
Wouldn't it still apply that the supplier could face some charges ?
Omo.

Bolded by me.

I thought the families' of the deceased were mainly wondering how the substances that killed the men were sourced ?
Omo.
Can you charge someone after death? There are possibilities other than living entities.

Bolded by me.

Omo.
Where the drugs came from may be what the families want to know, but it's certainly not all they've said. For example, there have been some pretty nasty accusations about how they ended up in the backyard that go beyond the act of supplying the drugs.

If it's known to LE one of the dead men supplied the drugs to the group, I wouldn't think that information would necessarily be made public. But in this case it may need to be IF that's what happened.
MOO

Where the drugs came from may be what the families want to know, but it's certainly not all they've said. For example, there have been some pretty nasty accusations about how they ended up in the backyard that go beyond the act of supplying the drugs.

If it's known to LE one of the dead men supplied the drugs to the group, I wouldn't think that information would necessarily be made public. But in this case it may need to be IF that's what happened.
MOO
Bbm.
Yes, I understand what you're saying.

If LE said no foul play -- than there wasn't.

But, imo, it's still baffling under what circumstances all three ended up out there, and died.
One person I could see, but three of them ?
All at once ?

If only one died, the others might have been able to call for help or something.
It's the saddest and oddest case I've read about in a long time.

The families are still in a lot of pain -- but at some point maybe JW will counter-sue ?
He still has to go on with his life.
Omo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500