MO MO - James Charles Stanford, 16, Overland, 1 May 1971

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score

stanford_james2.jpg
stanford_james_ap.jpg

James, circa 1971; Age-progression to age 64 (circa 2018)

Missing Since: May 1, 1971
Missing From: Overland, Missouri
Classification: Endangered Missing
Sex: Male
Race/Ethnicity: White/Caucasian
Date of Birth: August 10, 1954
Height: 6’3”
Weight: 125 pounds
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Green

Details of Disappearance
James was last seen in Overland, Missouri sometime in May 1971. He disappeared after telling his family he wanted to go to Texas or California to join a convent. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

Investigating Agency
Overland Police Department 314-428-1212

Last edited by a moderator:
So sad how there doesn't seem to be much of an investigation. I can't even find info on his parents being interviewed regarding his disappearance. Didn't he have friends that could shed some light on his plans? He was of high school age after all. I am assuming he didn't have a car as there wasn't even a mention of if he drove out of town and obviously a car was never found.

He also said either California or Texas. Pretty vague and also drastic locations in distance from one another. Why would he choose those places? Warmer weather? Did he know people there? How would he know where to go? Did he just plan to show up at some random "convent" monastery? It appears he didn't have much of a plan.

My guess is he hitchhiked. Considering it was the 70's when people were more footloose and fancy free about hitchhiking, it would have been easy to hit up a ride with someone going to one of those places. Then he most likely ran into trouble along the way but the mystery is, where?

I wonder if any of you fellow sleuths that are always matching UI's with the missing can work your magic on this? Does he have any family still alive to get a DNA sample?

So sad how there doesn't seem to be much of an investigation. I can't even find info on his parents being interviewed regarding his disappearance. Didn't he have friends that could shed some light on his plans? He was of high school age after all. I am assuming he didn't have a car as there wasn't even a mention of if he drove out of town and obviously a car was never found.

He also said either California or Texas. Pretty vague and also drastic locations in distance from one another. Why would he choose those places? Warmer weather? Did he know people there? How would he know where to go? Did he just plan to show up at some random "convent" monastery? It appears he didn't have much of a plan.

My guess is he hitchhiked. Considering it was the 70's when people were more footloose and fancy free about hitchhiking, it would have been easy to hit up a ride with someone going to one of those places. Then he most likely ran into trouble along the way but the mystery is, where?

I wonder if any of you fellow sleuths that are always matching UI's with the missing can work your magic on this? Does he have any family still alive to get a DNA sample?
I'll see if I can pull a few strings on ancestry, but my hopes are down. Honestly, this case does leave room for more possibilities than kidnapping and foul play.

I think I found something extremely vital here - there was a yearbook photo of James in the Juniors section of 1972. I think this means that James was alive after the original May 1, 1971 date. This pushes it at least 3 months later:
View attachment 291246
Yeah!! I think that’s him. :eek:

I have to ask. Is this correct?? Height: 6’3”
Weight: 125 pounds

That seems EXTREMELY thin. He looks slim in the photos, but he looks healthy, and in the newer photo where his shoulders are visible, he looks "filled out". I don't see how he could possibly be 125 lbs at 6'3"?

I believe I’ve looked at him for Swimsuit Boy too, and also questioned the height/weight. But I agree, in the newer photos he looks fuller. I’m not sure 6’3/125 is reasonable.

It would give him a BMI of 15.6 That's pretty underweight. Not impossible, but he really doesn't look that small to me. I wonder if it might have been his weight a few years prior? The photos on NAMUS he looks maybe 10-12 years old. Maybe that was his weight when those pictures were taken?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back