Found Deceased MO - John Forsyth, 49, doctor, Mercy ER Clinic, Cassville, 21 May 2023 *car found* #2

I know this is a very delayed response, but I thought I’d add my thoughts about the unusual first-person wording on Johnny’s headstone. (This is my opinion only, and I have not discussed it with any of my family members). Since Johnny’s parents and siblings are convinced Johnny was murdered, the word choice, I suspect, was designed to strike a note of defiance as well as affirm belief in an afterlife.

The family rumor is, as always, that LE will make a statement “soon.” Last I heard was it would be January or February. But who knows? Thank you for your interest and concern.

I know this is a very delayed response, but I thought I’d add my thoughts about the unusual first-person wording on Johnny’s headstone. (This is my opinion only, and I have not discussed it with any of my family members). Since Johnny’s parents and siblings are convinced Johnny was murdered, the word choice, I suspect, was designed to strike a note of defiance as well as affirm belief in an afterlife.

The family rumor is, as always, that LE will make a statement “soon.” Last I heard was it would be January or February. But who knows? Thank you for your interest and concern.
Thank you, Brown bear, for keeping us in the loop. I was just thinking about Dr. Forsyth and your family the other day. I hope LE has some news soon. Such a tragic death shouldn't go unpunished. The communities in that area need to feel safe and secure.

"No Answers" "No Leads"
snipped for focus @TwinkieDefense. Thanks for your post w link & quotes.
I understand Forsyth's Mother's disappointment in LE's lack of communication w family, but that is common LE protocol after initial stages of investigations.

Even if LE does not have an "answer" and is not yet ready to slap the cuffs on a particular suspect, I doubt they have "no leads." imo

Small solace for the family.
* "In an Instagram post, Forsyth’s mom, Dixie Forsyth, shared photos of a recent visit to his gravesite, writing, “211 days he has been gone. No answers, no leads. The investigators don’t communicate with us anymore.” "
Sorry for the late response to this post and article. I found the following quote from the article to be a bit disturbing.

The gravestone also shows a sphere with arrows pointing in different directions. Some point to truth and God, others to false and Satan. Richard says this was something John drew for him on a napkin in their last conversations “days before he was killed.”

This sounds very weird that John and his brother had a philosophical "truth" discussion right before he died. Did John still believe or was his family upset that he didn't still believe?

Sorry for the late response to this post and article. I found the following quote from the article to be a bit disturbing.

This sounds very weird that John and his brother had a philosophical "truth" discussion right before he died. Did John still believe or was his family upset that he didn't still believe?
I’m not certain what Johnny believed by the end, but I don’t think anyone was “upset” over it. Maybe concerned or sad, for some family members, but not angry.

It doesn’t surprise me Johnny and Richard had a philosophical discussion about science and religion. Earnest conversations are common in this family. Naturally, though, we have to wonder about the timing of this particular conversation and topic. In hindsight, any musings Johnny expressed about death now seem magnified in importance. For extended family members (cousins, aunts, uncles) all of the last conversations with him were ordinary, as far as I’m aware.

Well, still nothing new on this case. Everything remains under wraps. The reporter who did a great job of covering it suddenly left to work at another tv station. No news coverage at all.

Another cold case in southwest Missouri.

It's only a cold case if it has been determined that the victim did not shoot himself.
So far, nothing from LE has shown he was kidnapped from his RV near the hospital, that anyone else drove his car to the yard waste drop off, or that he was murdered.
Then what would you call it? An undecided case?
Tragic situation, regardless of outcome.

Last edited:
Then what would you call it? An undecided case?
You made the statement "another cold case in SW Missouri". If it is a suicide, it is not a cold case. I wouldn't call it anything, each LE agency will classify their cases (open, closed, inactive, cold case, administrative clearance, etc.) as they see fit.
We have not yet seen that the manner of death was determined to be homicide.

You made the statement "another cold case in SW Missouri". If it is a suicide, it is not a cold case. I wouldn't call it anything, each LE agency will classify their cases (open, closed, inactive, cold case, administrative clearance, etc.) as they see fit.
We have not yet seen that the manner of death was determined to be homicide.

It's logical they would know the COD by now. Following cases here at WS, its unusual for a COD to be unknown for so long. JMO

I agree. This is exactly what I thought, and not only because it was unhinged, it shows where his mind was when he was explaining it. True mania often comes with hyperreligiosity, or with extreme interest in philosophy, or in seeing "signs from above" in mundane things. I think all of it, combining religion, philosophy, physics, and the mind spinning so fast that it skips any explanation so that in the end, it looks like "unconnectable connected", this is what we see.

But, at the same time, good that JF had a brother that was trying to understand him, and the family willing to recreate their beloved one's ideas. What matters is that lots of love went into the monument and the family remembers him, and the good doctor would have, no doubt, loved it.
seems manic to me too, but since JF was a doctor, he might not have been thinking about his own death per se, he would have seen some death daily at the hospital IMO

I thought they knew the cause of death (COD) was a gun shot but the manner of death (suicide, homicide, accidental) was unknown. Am I wrong about the gun shot?

Here is what officials have said.

His body had an apparent gunshot wound, authorities in Arkansas say. Although Benton County Coroner DO said an autopsy was completed Thursday, the results won't be released until the investigation is over.

What to know about the case of the missing Missouri ER doctor found dead in Arkansas

It's logical they would know the COD by now. Following cases here at WS, its unusual for a COD to be unknown for so long. JMO
I'll quote myself "It's only a cold case if it has been determined that the victim did not shoot himself."

I specifically said "shoot himself" as the cause of death was announced some time ago.
Cause of death and manner of death are not the same. If you shoot yourself, it is not a homicide and not a cold case.
Again, manner of death as not been announced.

I certainly appreciate Elizabeth keeping us informed for I feared when she took the new position in Cleveland that she'd forgotten about the good Dr. The mystery is solved but we may not know the half of it.

"This is complicated. Parts very confusing. But because of the work of investigators everything will make sense soon." - Elizabeth VanMetre

Sincere condolences to all of Dr John Forsyth's loved ones, family, friends, co-workers and especially to his children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back